Sun Country Airlines

"still won't refund ticket fares"

Trip Verified | I find this crazy. My wife and I were planning on taking a vacation when her father passed away a few days before. As I'm sure anyone would understand you deal with the loss above anything else. That being said we still called Sun Country to inform them of our loss and provide a death certificate as soon as possible. Sun Country's response was it was a $90 change fee with another $100 fee for something else (couldn't remember as I was a bit agitated) and had I called sooner they could've provided a credit against my account. The tickets were $200 total. It's unfortuante the compassion most airlines have (we were flying United out and they refunded the tickets no question) is lost on my hometown airline. Either way we felt people should know that Sun Country in the most extreme circumstances still won't refund ticket fares.
RouteSonoma CA to Minneapolis

"see it falling apart"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Las Vegas. We've flown on this airline frequently the last 20 years and over the last year see it falling apart both in management/employee and plane maintenance. Employees seem unhappy and some we talked to agree things are not right. My wife's plane taking off out of Savannah, Ga. last Nov had taken off and lifted off when it abruptly set back down barely stopping at end of the strip. The plane sat waiting for a part for 6 hours with little communication to passengers. She was very scared when they did take off. This past spring twice in two week period we had a guest who tried flying out of Orlando and had flights canceled but got flights out the next day. On this weeks flight Sept 23rd from Minneapolis to Vegas the one flight attendant we saw made it down the aisle one-time serving liquids, but no snacks at all or smile. Charging for bags, canceled flights, no answer at customer service for hours, flights now scheduled from many smaller cities at $39 is not going to gain a profit or make their coordination of flights and service better. They are failing since the Davis family sold to this hedge fund and a new CEO that thinks backwards. Soon we will read of once a great SunCountry going bankrupt. No longer our "Home town airline".
RouteMinneapolis to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"make you pay for overhead bag"

Trip Verified | Providence to San Francisco via Minneapolis. They make you pay for overhead bag which is the same price as if you were going to check it. They do offer complementary drinks but make you pay anywhere from $4-$8 for snacks. Seriously $4 for a regular size bag of M’ms.... ripoff. They do offer inflight entertainment, however the signal is horrible and was constantly disconnecting. The movie would have long pauses making it difficult to enjoy the movie. Also the selection appeared to have a lot of outdated movies and not a big selection of tv choices. I do not think I would fly with them again.
RouteProvidence to San Francisco via Minneapolis

"Too many hidden costs"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Phoenix. Too many hidden costs. Everyone from ticket counter to crew was rude. I was charged 35 bucks for a carry on bag. Carry on! Who does that? I had to pay for any food. No peanuts or free pretzels.
RouteMinneapolis to Phoenix
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"The flight was freezing"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Minneapolis. Red-eye flight, we paid for the SunCountry version of "First Class" or what they refer to as premium seating. Sat in the first row on the plane. The flight was freezing, the flight attendant told me there were no blankets available but that it should warm up as we get moving. It got colder throughout the flight and many people kept saying how cold it was with zero accomodation made. Bright lights on the entire flight from where the flight attendants sat especially if you are sitting first row. Most immature flight attendants I have experienced, laughing loudly and talking the entire flight, and kept yawning so loud the entire flight could hear. Again this is a red-eye have some courtesy for those trying to get some sleep. No beverage/snack service offered. The worst flight ever. Last resort booking due to family emergency or I gladly would pay for to go Delta.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLas Vegas to Minneapolis
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"sad that Sun Country is leaving TF Green"

Trip Verified | T F Green to Vegas. I am sad that Sun Country airlines as of Oct 2019 is leaving TF Green. I really like this airline, the seats are comfy, its clean, and the best feature is they have straight through flights.
RouteT F Green to Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I’ll never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Anchorage to Las Vegas. I’m aware these tickets are cheaper so I don’t know why I expected any decency. But it was literally the worst experience of my life. I’m a pretty mellow person. Not a lot gets to me. But this was definitely something else. The seats wouldn’t go back. I asked if they had blankets or if they could turn off the air. And they said no. It was an overnight flight. Everyone was freezing. Literally me and my sister were shivering. Didn’t sleep on second of the entire flight because we were so cold. It was a round trip. On our way there they never charged us for our carry on bag so I figured it was included and then on our way back they charged us and I don’t even know if I believe them or if they just hate us. Someone messed up. Because on our way over they didn’t charge us and on the way back they did. I didn’t even have the money for it. Panicked. Didn’t know what to do. Seriously most stressful flight experience ever. I’ll never fly with them again.
RouteAnchorage to Las Vegas
Date FlownAugust 2019

"never use Sun Country again"

Trip Verified | Portland to Minneapolis. What a joke. Thought I would save some money by choosing a smaller airline. Never again. By the time we retrieve our luggage, time spent and gas will make it more expensive than if we would have flown Delta. Sun Country lost my luggage on by return trip. I live 1.5 hours from Portland and the airlines is making me come back to get my bag. What a joke. Other airlines either ship it or deliver it. I will never use Sun Country again. Furthermore, I waited on hold for over an hour and no one ever came on the line, good thing because by then I was loaded for a good argument. Take my advice, don't do it! They also charge more for checking a bag than any other airline.
RoutePortland to Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2019

"ruined a very expensive trip"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Cancun. I checked in at D terminal in DFW Airport. It was 630AM and both counter clerks were out of their minds. We are a family of 4. The clerk didn’t tag my bag and I let her know she didn’t tag my bag because she had the tag still in her hand. She actually said to my face she tagged it. I see my bag going behind the curtain with no tag! She then proceeds to call someone on her cell and tell them to grab the grey luggage and whispering like I couldn’t here her. I felt like I was being scammed and they have some type of ring going. Needless to say 5 days later my bag never made. Low and behold the day we come back it happens to be in the supervisors office. He the proceeds to tell me he never opened my bag and only identified it by a broken handle. He then tells my husband only TSA opened it. The TSA notification was in the suitcase so how would he know. They ruined a very expensive trip with my family. 5 days with none of my belongings and they only have me a $50 per day allowance. We never fly cheap and took a chance. Cheap isn’t always better and we’ve learned our lesson. We have filed a report with the airport police department and will make so much noise they wish they hadn’t taken anything.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Cancun
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Portland. I can't actually review the flight because I never flew the flight. My flight got cancelled 2 hours prior to departure and we waited for answers 8 hours at the airport. Worst customer service ever, never fly Sun Country.They finally checked us into a hotel at 2.30 am the following day. Horrific service.
RouteMinneapolis to Portland