Sun Country Airlines

"absolutely positive experience"

Trip Verified | I was very nervous to fly Sun Country after all the terrible reviews but both ways I had an absolutely positive experience. Very nice staff, and although you have to pay extra for everything it still ends up being cheaper than the others. Take offs and landings were right on time, and everything flowed smooth... I would without a doubt use them again. Way better than Southwest!
RouteNashville to Portland
Date FlownJuly 2019

"doesn’t care about their customers"

Not Verified | Chicago to Portland via Minneapolis. Sun Country doesn’t care about their customers. Their customer service line wait time is always over 90 minutes (I have called 12 times, and have been told to either call a different line, have been disconnected, or have been told that I’ll receive e-mail correspondence — which I have yet to receive). Their service and airport agents have no idea what’s going on, I receive inconsistent information from ever person I speak with. I am waiting on reimbursement from the airline and have been pushed around by agents, made to feel inferior by customer service agents, and told that my experience doesn’t matter to them. My flight was delayed and then cancelled, I have not received compensation, compensation which I was told very clearly I would receive in the form of travel reimbursement and per diem. Sun Country is the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of working with.
RouteChicago to Portland via Minneapolis
Date FlownJuly 2019

"attendants were professional yet friendly"

(Israel)

Not Verified | Portland to Nashville. My guess is that someone read the reviews here and elsewhere and decided to do something about it. I travel more than 100,000 a year and had to fly to Nashville. Sun Country had the only direct flight and at half the cost of other airlines. I was prepared for the worst but figured it's only 4 hours so I will survive. I did splurge the $30 for the exit seats. Best $30 I ever spent. To begin with, check-in was blazing fast, I only had a back-pack. Everyone was smiling and courteous at the counter and the gate. The plane was clean, the flight attendants were professional yet friendly. Take off and landing smoothly as a baby's bottom. Since I'm not the only one to give them high marks in the last few reviews I can only deduct that someone read the reviews and acted on them. Good for them. That's how you show you care about your business.
RoutePortland to Nashville

"Worst experience ever!"

Trip Verified | Worst experience ever! It was first time flying this airline and it would be my last. First off our luggage left without us, due to a 2 mins lateness but the flight ended up leaving later than scheduled but we were still not let in. We got to Austin through another airline by some few minutes after 10 pm. There was a not a single agent to tell us anything about our luggages. Its been 24 hours and yet no agent is available to tell us where our luggage are. Keys to our apartment and car is in the bag, you call and no one hardly picks up.this is the worst airline they will put you through a psychological rollercoaster. Run away and i mean it, extreme bad services.
RouteMinneapolis to Austin
Date FlownJuly 2019

"you get what you pay for"

Trip Verified | San Antonio to Portland. This is my first (and last) trip with Sun Country. For the first flight, we were boarded on time, but sat on the runway area for 54 mins while they tried to figure out why the communications lines weren’t operating. The plane headed up to 85+ degrees while we sat and waited - melting in the hot south Texas July heat. 4 days later on the returning flight, we all board 20 mins late and sat on the runway yet again for 48 mins. This time at PDX the plane interior only heated up to around 78/80 degrees while we waited for the plane's crew to announce that the AC unit wasn’t functioning properly and we were directed to de-plane. We ended up waiting 2 additional hours in the airport for another Sun Country plane to land, so we could board it. Are people being boarded before these things are checked? Long story short - you get what you pay for. Pay the additional $100 bucks and fly with a competent airline - you know Delta, American, Southwest, United, seriously any other airline that has a reputation to be upheld.
RouteSan Antonio to Portland
Date FlownJuly 2019

"denied a second beverage"

Trip Verified | Portland to St Louis. The flight attendants were very rude and you could tell they did not like their job. I was denied a second beverage on a 4 hour flight. Very disappointed to spend 4 hours feeling this way for the amount of money we spent.
RoutePortland to St Louis

"fake low fare deal"

Not Verified | I’ve flown Sun Country a handful of times from San Francisco to Minneapolis. The aircraft is decent and has phone chargers and I’ve never had a delay. I don’t eat aeroplane garbage food so I can’t comment on that in particular. The problem with Sun Country is they charge you $30 for any carry on and when you check-in you have to pay an additional $10 for your seat. You think you’re getting a good deal on your airfare but when you check in, they collect a minimum of $40 additional. When you purchase your ticket, it does not include your seat. This is absurd. It’s worth it to pick a full fare airline and not be tricked by some fake low fare deal on Sun Country
RouteSan Francisco to Minneapolis

"nightmarish experiences"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Seattle. I was surprised when checking in for my last Sun Country flight that a single carry-on now costs me $40. I'll be factoring that in when I choose future flights, and I'll be more likely to opt for Delta or Alaska. I wish I could kick Sun Country, but the best I can do is post this review and choose differently next time. Reading some of the other Sun Country reviews, I am so sorry to other passengers who have had really nightmarish experiences with Sun Country! My complaint is very minor in comparison. Better yet, we could all ride Amtrak - better for the environment - but their pricing and customer service record aren't really stellar, either.
RouteMinneapolis to Seattle
Date FlownJune 2019

"Just don't fly this airline"

Trip Verified | Sun Country Airlines may cancel your flight and not notify you. I was set to fly from Las Vegas to Minneapolis and after checking in for my flight online and confirming the flight status in the morning as "on time" I went to the airport only to be told the flight was canceled As a bonus, Sun Country offers you nothing in the way of assistance. No attempt to rebook you on another airline, no assistance with hotel voucher, meals, transportation or any other kind of assistance. They will provide you with a "Customer Care" number, but you will recieve a recording that tells you nobody can take your call. Eventually, they will just close the check-in gate and not talk to you or the other 200 passengers they strand at the airport. Never again. Just don't fly this airline. They were once a great airline, but the new corporate owners don't care about the consumers. They are notorious for canceled and delayed flights, and no customer service. Do yourself a favor and do not fly Sun Country.
RouteLas Vegas to Minneapolis
Date FlownJune 2019

"flight was extremely uncomfortable"

Not Verified | Flight 261 from Minneapolis to Chicago O'Hare, June 29. Flight delayed one hour, and included a gate change it happens. When we boarded, the plane had been sitting at the gate for close to an hour in the sun (temperature was 88 degrees in Minneapolis). Upon boarding, the cabin was very hot. The captain informed us that after they got the engines running and up in the air, the AC would come on and cool off the cabin. He was either wrong or lying because it never came on. What little air flow could be coaxed from the overhead nozzles was the same temperature as the cabin. The flight was extremely uncomfortable. When we landed it took 10 minutes to taxi to the gate. When we arrived, the gate ramp was not in place and it took 7 more minutes to get it in place. The temperature in Chicago was 90 degrees and gate ramp that sits outside in the sun all day was cooler than the plane when we got off.
RouteMinneapolis to Chicago