Sun Country Airlines

"lack of concern for their customers"

Trip Verified | We booked a ski trip to Bozeman with a return on Sunday morning 2/27/22. However, three weeks prior to our trip S.C. canceled our return flight without explanation. Most likely they just didn't think the flight was full enough. They booked us on their evening flight for that day. So instead of a return flight at 10:30 AM we were stuck with a return of 7:30 PM. This of course caused lots of headaches with car rentals, hotel check out times, etc. On the day of our return, we got a notice that our flight was delayed until 8:30. Then an hour prior, we got another notice that our flight was delayed until 9:00 PM. Finally, at about 9:15 PM we departed. Upon landing back at MSP, at midnight, we sat on the tarmac for a full hour without any (none, zero, zilch) communication as to why we were sitting there or what was going on. So instead of getting home at 1:30 PM on Sunday afternoon like we planned, we got home at 2:00 AM Monday morning - and really for no good reason at all. No weather, no mechanical delays, no explanations. Sun Country doesn't appear to care about you. They will cancel your flight on a moment's notice, delay you without explanation and make you sit on the tarmac without any communication. Like most of us, I've had some terrible travel experiences in my day. This one was 100% due to the airlines incompetence and lack of concern for their customers. It's not worth the savings if they can cancel you without explanation and treat you like cattle.
RouteBozeman to Minneapolis

"Horrible customer service"

Not Verified | First and last time flying with sun country airlines. Avoid this airlines if possible, this people don’t care about your stuff. I traveled last week and they damaged one of my luggage when I arrived at my destination. After making a huge line in Madison Wisconsin because they only had one staff, with my wife and two toddlers I was told they had no time to help me to fill out a form or call customer service. After arriving at the hotel I called and made the claim long story short of back and forth emails its been over a week and they finally offered me a twenty dollar refund for my close to five hundred dollar luggage. If you have expensive things or care about your stuff stay away from this airline. Horrible customer service!
RouteFort Myers to Wisconsin
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Won’t fly with them again"

Not Verified | Worse than Spirit. Delayed flight for two hours after everyone was boarded. Same thing on the way home. They then proceeded to make us sit on the runway after landing for over an hour. Terrible communication, and added several hours onto traveling on both ends. Won’t fly with them again.
RoutePunta Cana to Indianapolis
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"avoid this sorry excuse of an airline"

Not Verified | I would avoid this sorry excuse of an airline at all costs. I booked my flight out of SFO - MSP - BOS on 12/30, leaving around midnight. Around 7pm the same day, I get one text saying the flight was going to be delayed 2 hours. Worried about missing my connecting flight, I call their customer service center about 10 times to no avail. I get to the airport early, and their desk isn't even open until 9pm. I talk to the agent, who confirms I will miss my connecting flight from Sun Country, then offers a "refund of flight" or "flight on 1/2 out of MSP." Refund of flight is useless, as all the other last minute flights are 2-3x more expensive. An alternate flight 3 days later is a joke, given Sun Country doesn't offer any hotel accommodations and basically wants to leave a customer stranded in a random city for 3 days. I eat up the cost of an exorbitantly more expensive last minute flight, and follow up with their customer service via email, phone, SNS multiple times. No response for 3 weeks. Then, I get an email saying like "we're really sorry, so as a sign of our commitment to excellent customer service, we've refunded you your original ticket price." This almost feels insulting, that the only remuneration offered is the money for the flight I never got to set foot on due to a malfunctioning or error on Sun Country's part. I call again - maybe 3-4 times because their customer service is impossible to reach. The agent tells me she'll look into it. I get an email a few days later saying "Sorry, we're not going to do anything." They don't care about their customers. They don't care about their commitments or flight schedules. They are definitely not a well-functioning airline, and they are hardly a business at all run based on a modicum of common sense. I would avoid this sorry excuse of an airline at all costs - nobody could even pay me to take their rides.
RouteSan Francisco to Minneapolis via Boston

"What a blessing"

Not Verified | Montego Bay to Fargo via Minneapolis. What would we have done without the kindness, professionalism and graciousness of the staff at Montego Bay, Jamaica? After Delta stranded us, we ran to Sun Country and were able to get on their flight toward home. We had to leave Jamaica that day, no exceptions, to comply with Covid tests-negative that America requires to get back into America (which is fine until an airline tells you your flight is cancelled.) I don't have their names but all the Sun Country staff on December 29th, 2021 reassured us "Yes, we can accommodate you and your family". What a blessing they were to us. So, thank you, Sun Country staff in Jamaica. We are home now, safe and sound. We did use Delta for the last leg of our journey and all went fine.
RouteMontego Bay to Fargo via Minneapolis
Date FlownDecember 2021

"I will be reconsidering book with them going forward"

Not Verified | Boarded 10 minutes late. Sat on the plane for an hour and a half while they loaded mail and waited 20 more minutes for live chickens to be loaded. You don’t book a 7.50am flight to depart at 9.40 because of mail and chickens. Made everyone late, I will be reconsidering book with them going forward.
RouteMinneapolis to Tampa

"Horrible first experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible first experience. Cabin dirty with food on floor, empty bottles in seat pocket and tray table was sticky. Flight attendants did not care one bit. Rude, arrogant and seemed to be bothered by advising uncleared areas.
RoutePunta Gorda to Minneapolis
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"left the passengers behind"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Minneapolis. I had a flight to SY408 to Minneapolis that never showed up at the gate. They shipped my luggage to Minneapolis and left the passengers behind. I received updates of a flight delay and the attendant confirmed there will be a delay but the flight will leave from the same gate. Even after the confirmation, since the terminal is small, I would have seen if it changed gates so I presume they never even stopped to pick anyone up. After several hours on the phone, they told me I had to book and pay for another flight and there was nothing they could do. They also refused to look into the situation and see if there was a gate change, if they did leave all the passengers behind, or what happened with the flight. Still a mystery that they haven't been able to help with.
RouteSan Diego to Minneapolis
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"There was no explanation for this cancellation"

Not Verified | I am disgusted with Sun Country airlines and highly recommend avoiding this airline. Yesterday (12/31/21), I drove my 19 year old daughter and her cousin for a 9.30 pm flight. They were told everything was on time, but were then notified the flight was cancelled shortly before they were supposed to board. There was no explanation for this cancellation. I drove back up to get them and they rescheduled for the next day. After delaying the flight for 1.5 hours, the flight was again cancelled. No explanation. My daughter is devastated as she has been waiting a long time for this trip. I will never use this airline again.
RouteMinneapolis to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"unfortunate way to spend new years eve"

Trip Verified | Our flight was supposed to depart at 9:30pm on New Years Eve. At 9:07pm some people received a text message saying the flight was canceled. It took them another 10 minutes to make an official announcement that the flight was canceled. At this point, there was still no front desk person for is to ask questions too. We had to travel down 6 gates to talk to someone. They offered a refund to everyone and you could reschedule your ticket for another sun country flight. The choice was 9:30pm the next day (Saturday), which was rapidly filling as were towards the end of the line, or late Sunday. After waiting in line for 40 min and only having moved forward 3 people we decided that we would never fly with Sun Country again. We paid $500 to fly with Delta instead. Money well spent. Sun country was not willing to offer us anything; free hotels, free transportation, shoot, they wouldn't even cover our parking fee for the one day delay. Sun Country does not care about their customers. They are the cheapest airline and it shows. Their customer phone lines were also just a robot that says "All lines are busy, please look at the website. Good bye" and then hangs up on you. Extremely unfortunate way to spend new years eve.
RouteMinneapolis to Las vegas