Sun Country Airlines

"lack of communication was the most frustrating thing"

Not Verified | We were supposed to fly out at 7 pm. At about 6:30 there were no employees at the desk. Our flight was still listed as on time. Another passenger found that the airline website listed the new departure time as 10 pm, though nobody else was able to find it. We were never notified at any point by email or text. The scheduled time remained 7 pm and eventually the status was changed to 10 pm, but the flight was never listed as delayed. At about 9 pm the poor staff member had to announce to everyone that the flight would not be taking off that night, but at noon the next day because the pilot needed to rest. It took another hour for the airline to confirm a hotel for everyone and we all had to pay for transport with the promise of the airline reimbursing this eventually. Once they finally confirmed a hotel they did not even announce it, we had to hear it from other customers. It was all very confusing. The lack of communication was the most frustrating thing. Today at 11:15 our scheduled departure time is still 7:05 yesterday; it was never listed as delayed.
RoutePortland to Minneapolis
Date FlownDecember 2021

"They still refused and would not give me a credit"

Not Verified | I booked a flight with Expedia for my son to come home for his grandfather's funeral. The flight out was with American Airlines. The return leg was Sun Country. American's flight out was delayed to the next day. He was flying from San Diego to Indy. Due to the delay, he was now going to miss the funeral. We then canceled the flight since he was going to miss the entire funeral mass. American Airlines refunded the flight out but Sun Country stated they have no refund policy with canceled flights. Our intention was for my son to come to his Grandfather's funeral. I sent Sun Country the funeral info. They still refused and would not give me a credit. I will never book with an airline that operates their business in this way. Expedia did finally give me a credit after hours of calls and being on hold.
RouteSan Diego to Indianapolis
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"They refused to forward our bags"

Trip Verified | We paid an additional $100 each (x2) for Sun Country Door-Door service which included pick-up from home to airport and assistance checking our bags through to our destination in Costa Rica. Shockingly, our bags never arrived. Sun Country admitted that our bags were not placed on the aircraft and advised that we could pick them up in Minneapolis on our return in 1 week. Imagine, no clothes, toiletries, meds, snorkel gear etc. They refused to forward our bags as they only fly to Liberia once a week. They made no effort to utilize another carrier. Strongly advise that you avoid this new, dysfunctional "Door to Door" service (provided by Landline Services) and be aware of Sun Country policy regarding your misplaced luggage.
RouteMinneapolis to Liberia, Costa Rica
Date FlownDecember 2021

"What a joke of an airline"

Trip Verified | I would give this airline a 0 if I could. We are very displeased with the service that we have had this past week with this airline. This was supposed to be a special trip for our honeymoon as we have recently been married. It started out great in Denver, Colorado and we get everything checked in at the airport and paid money for the checked bags. Our first flight was delayed due to, “they couldn’t find the plane” is what we got told over the intercom. The flight was delayed about 40 minutes for that, and delayed another 20 minutes for the passenger who threw up before take off. We then missed our connection flight which was serviced by the same airline. Sun Country. They knew we were coming and didn’t wait 10 minutes for the 3 (2 in my party and one other man going to Myrtle beach) of us. They got us on the soonest flight with Southwest and reassured us multiple times that our bags would be sent to our final destination. We asked 3 people to make sure and even checked baggage claim and we were told that it would be ok. We arrive in Myrtle beach to no bags and no contact from anyone from this airline. We have been working with a Southwest agent to get the information. We have spent the last 4 days in Myrtle Beach with absolutely no luggage thanks to you guys. It took me hours to try and get a hold of you guys. And when I finally did you guys weren’t happy or trying at all to get us our bags. Our honeymoon was absolutely ruined and now they only want to reimburse half of the money we spent on essential needs. What a joke of an airline.
RouteDenver to Myrtle Beach
Date FlownOctober 2021

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Not Verified | This was my first time flying with Sun Country and I was pleasantly surprised. The plane was a bit old (but not to the point of being concerning), just not the bells and whistles you get with a bigger airline. The flight attendants were friendly and made an effort to talk with passengers and were quick to help those with children. Overall, I think Sun Country is a value and will definitely fly with them again!
RouteCancun to Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2021

"probably one of the best experiences"

Trip Verified | Reading the reviews for this flight before we left on our trip I was a nervous wreck expecting something to go wrong. After my experience with this company I felt it was important to leave a review for those like me that have severe flying anxiety. My first interaction with this company after booking happened when I noticed that I failed to put middle names on my booking so our boarding passes would not match our passports. I called the service number and left my call back number. I had already read that no one answers the phone so I was prepared to be disappointed by not receiving a call back. A couple of hours later a young lady called me back and I explained my mistake. Her response was "Well let's get that corrected so you can be at ease have a great trip." She corrected 4 middle names on my booking and emailed me a new itinerary while staying on the phone with me to make sure everything looked ok. Disaster averted. We then got to the airport on Sunday to find out our flight was delayed. Again, after reading the horror stories of delayed flights being cancelled and people being left to fend for themselves I began to feel very high anxiety. One of my adult children would be flying from a different airport but same airline into Mexico and I was afraid she'd be in Mexico by herself. The flight was an hour late but finally showed up, they very calmly unloaded the passengers coming into Houston and got us all on the plane as quickly and well organized as I've ever seen. The flight attendants personally apologized to the passengers as we boarded for being late explaining that there were severe storms at their last stop and that they had to wait it out. I don't even know where to begin about our experience with our flight home. From Mexico, coming back into America, you must check in at the counter to show your negative covid test. Of all the check in counters, it was the shortest line, the staff was friendly and very patient with everyone, and they went above and beyond to help us get checked in and to our terminal in time. Wonderful service. I have flown on several airlines and take several trips a year and this is probably one of the best experiences I have had flying (that included set backs). There's a lot of bashing this airline for things that anyone could avoid just by doing their research or reading their booking information. The seating is no different than other airlines. The drinks come with a cup of ice just like every other airline. Oh there's phone chargers on the backs of the seat legs which I have never seen before. That was cool. We got free WiFi. Being surprised by carry on and check bag fees baffles me. This isn't uncommon. Check these things BEFORE you book and there will be no surprises with this airline. If you are flying from Houston out to Mexico this is the way to go.
RouteHouston to Cancun
Date FlownAugust 2021

"no enforcement of that policy"

Not Verified | We flew round trip to Anchorage from Minneapolis. The airline was good about telling people they need to wear a mask over their nose and mouth at the beginning of each flight, but then there was no enforcement of that policy. On our return home, there was one guy with his mask on his chin, not covering nose and mouth, that chatted with the flight attendants for a long period of time, yet he was not told to use his mask properly. Many, many others not covering nose and mouth. I appreciate that wearing masks was not previously the responsibility of flight attendants. Well, I am sorry, but it is now. All of the flight crew is responsible for the safety of the passengers, including the protection against the spread of Covid 19. I would definitely not use this airline until they carry out their responsibility to keep their passengers safe. In addition, we waited by the luggage carousel for over an hour before the luggage came.
RouteAnchorage to Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2021

"attendants were friendly and helpful"

Trip Verified | My flights to and from San Antonio to Cancun were on time. The flight attendants were friendly and helpful. Prices are low and I will be flying Sun Country Airlines again.
RouteSan Antonio to Cancun
Date FlownAugust 2021

"refuse to answer your phone calls"

Trip Verified | They refuse to answer your phone calls (have been calling for the last three hours). They not only don't have the information from my itinerary, even though they emailed me the itinerary number and confirmation code. This is so embarrassing and such a waste of money to fly this airline. They take your money and don't provide any customer service after taking your money. When we got on the phone, they hung up.
RouteSan Francisco to Boston via Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2021

"Never again Sun Country"

Not Verified | Terrible, always being delayed. Twice within a month apart our flight was delayed. We are currently sitting on the plane before take off, we've been sitting here for over an hour because of weather. If the flight wouldn't have been delayed we would have beaten the storm and taken off on time. Never again Sun Country!
RouteDallas to Las vegas