Singapore Airlines

"all they would refund were the taxes"

Trip Verified | We flew coach class from SFO to Bangkok in November 2021. We found that Singapore Airlines was not the airline of old. It used to be the best airline in Asia. No more. The seating was cramped, not on par with other competitor airlines such as ANA, and certainly no better than EVA or Cathay Pacific. They canceled our connecting flight on their subsidiary airline, Scoot, booked through Singapore Air, from Phuket to Singapore on the return leg. We were notified by email just 16 days before the scheduled flight. We were informed that we had to now fly out of Bangkok to Singapore, not Phuket, and we had to re-book through Singapore Air, not Scoot, and had to telephone a customer service agent to do so. This meant a total revision of our itinerary and losing the non-refundable tickets we had already purchased for flights in Thailand. We spent a total of 4 hours on hold attempting, without success, to reach an agent. We called both the Bangkok and Singapore offices to no avail. We even had a travel agent call for us on the agent's line. She gave up after 1/2 hour on hold. We tried email. They told us they would get back to us in 7-14 days. We had gone to both the Phuket and Bangkok airport Singapore Air offices but both were closed. We gave up and flew ANA home. They answer their phones. When we returned we found that all they would refund were the taxes. Sent a letter by post to the corporate headquarters. One month later no response, not even an acknowledgment of receipt.
RouteSan Francisco to Bangkok via Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2021

"seats are a step back in quality"

Trip Verified | I've got to say that my experience flying Melbourne – Singapore and Singapore – Melbourne have completely turned me off Singapore Airlines. Their new fit outs of their A350s have reduced the seat pitch and the seats are a step back in quality. The cushioning is very thin and hard which is uncomfortable and the seats themselves are poorly constructed. The seat in front of me would buckle and bend every time the average size person in it moved which meant my knees copped a pounding given they were crammed up against the seat because of the reduction in space. These new seats negate SIA from being a feasible selection as an airline for me. Thankfully the plane from Singapore to Manchester had not suffered the same upgrade and was a reminder of how bad the Melbourne – Singapore update is. The meals were also underwhelming compared to pre-pandemic with very basic options and accompaniments. It took them 3 hours after take off to provide food and remove the trays due to having only one trolley cart servicing each aisle in the economy cabin. The whole experience very much smacked of an airline that has been taken over by bean-counters and they are cutting costs at every turn possible with cramming more people on the plane and providing less food and staff, and ultimately an experience that is a shade of SIA's glory days pre-pandemic.
RouteMelbourne to Manchester via Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Only 1 meal was served on the flight"

Not Verified | Quality of food and beverage has dropped off significantly compared to usual business class offering. Only 1 meal was served on the flight and we were asked to choose whether to have it as dinner upon departure or breakfast prior to arrival. The meal was very average. In the morning they didn't even have yoghurt or cereal to offer to the kids. Both children, age 3 and 5, were in BC also. Very disappointing for an airline of such calibre.
RouteSingapore to Sydney
Date FlownDecember 2021

"the food was an utter disaster"

Trip Verified | Trying to contact them by the call center is a nightmare with a lack of customer service and inefficient. The seats on this aircraft were the new regional business class seats which are not bad. The IFE is also good and we had 100MB free wifi which was nice. The crew were good. However, the food was an utter disaster. For a 7 hour flight, we were given 1 miserable meal which was rubbery eggs and mashed-up vegetables. Book the cook was not functioning on this sector so we had no other choice. No welcome drink either. Standards have gone down drastically from many aspects.
RouteDubai to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2021

"really disappointed with the meals"

Trip Verified | The boarding went on very smooth. The seat was very comfortable and had enough legroom. I was really disappointed with the meals. I chose the lemon chicken with fried rice. It was a very small portion. No salad was offered. The bread roll was in plastic packet cold and dry. The chocolate cake for dessert was okay. Usually flights between the east coast of Australia and Asia they offer a main meal and a pre arrival meal but on this trip no pre arrival meal was given. I feel like SQ is trying to save money by doing this. The IFE was good. Overall I won't be flying with them in the future.
AircraftA380-800
RouteSydney to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2021

"needs to treat it's customers with respect"

Trip Verified | We booked return flights from London to Singapore with a guarantee of unlimited complimentary changes. Due to COVID we could not travel in Nov 2021 and want to move the flight to Oct 2022. Online, it is impossible to move the flight to any date later than 12 months from the date that the booking was made. Calling Customer Service is tortuous! My partner has made three calls. Each time she has waited approximately two hours to speak to an agent. Each time she has been told that they have to make the change manually but then when the agent tries to action the change, they are unable to do so, refer to a manager and then promise to call back. They don't call back. This is totally unacceptable! On the latest call, my partner asked to speak to somebody more senior than the agent she had been speaking to. In the process of transferring the call, she was cut off. Nobody has called back. My partner is not so stressed and upset about this matter that I have taken over dealing with the airline. We don't have time to waste on the phone trying to resolve this. A five-star airline needs to treat it's customers with respect from the day of booking until the end of the flight. It's not all about the flight and service (or lack of it) prior to the day of travel needs to form part of an airline's overall score. Singapore Airlines are not worthy of your award at the moment.
RouteLondon to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2021

"kind to refund me fully"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | I had to cancel my flight due to suddenly tightened quarantine requirement set by Hong Kong government, from 14 days to 21 days. Upon my return and have to pay by myself. I wrote an email to the customer service to request for a refund, they got back to me under 3 days by a personal phone call. Although the condition of my ticket was non refundable, they were so kind to refund me fully. It was processed immediately, with an email to confirm as well it. Such kindness and consideration during this difficult period for traveling is much appreciated. So glad to have been a loyal customer to this airline (I'm a Gold Kris flyer). I do hope to fly again with them when the situation improved.
RouteHong Kong to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2021

"flights themselves were rather unremarkable"

Trip Verified | The flight was booked at a time when the Covid situation was still looking better and the chance to be be able to leave Changi airport during a long layover looked good. That face with Singapore Airlines flexibility claim of change of flights on their website, made me booking a flight with a 16h layover. Unfortunately, things were not looking good about a month ago, and I tried to change my flights to a short layover. I tried to contact SQ via its change of flight form for Covid related reasons through their website. 5 requests over the span of a month remain unanswered till today, complaint emails were also not replied to. I also tried to contact SQ through their callcenter, was placed in a loop for hours. After getting through after days of trying, I was told that there were seats available for the same booking class and I would be informed once the the ticket would be re-issued. So far so good. An hour later I was called, saying that this „special fare ticket“ can only be changed if if I pay this and that in addition, which ended up to a ridiculous amount, and I declined. So I was back to square and had to endure a 16h stay at Changi airport. SQ does not honor their claim of ticket flexibility. Other carrier I flew during the pandemic were willing honor their flexibility claims. The flights themselves were rather unremarkable, not as polished as Qatar, with no dining on demand offered. Food was average to say the least. No touchscreen TV and average seat on the really noisy 777ER on the long flight. Overall due to the non existing customer service on the ground, not recommended
AircraftA350 / Boeing 777ER
RouteBangkok to Frankfurt via Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2021

"It is still a great way to fly"

Trip Verified | Due to the pandemic, it has been two years since I boarded a flight. When the opportunity arose to travel to Germany under the vaccinated travel lane (VTL) scheme, I booked a round trip to Frankfurt. The business class product still retained its high quality in terms of attentive service from the cabin crew. I had ordered my meals from book the cook option and lunch was promptly served shortly after take off. Being a day flight, the cabin crew came around to convert the seats to bed mode. I managed to get some good sleep until dinner was served some 3 hours prior to landing. In terms of hardware, gone were the physical menus. Instead, an online menu was available. Pre-departure drinks were no longer being served to avoid unnecessary contact with passengers. However, meals were still served course by course like pre-pandemic times. Overall, SQ’s business class product has maintained its quality despite the pandemic. It is still a great way to fly.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER
RouteSingapore to Frankfurt
Date FlownDecember 2021

"poor design of business class"

Trip Verified | I was flying in the worst of times as Omircon had just been detected, yet despite all the restrictions and requirements to fly to Indonesia, Singapore Airlines on its own was not a good choice for a long flight. I had flown SA for many short hauls in Asia, but the discomfort on this trip was due to the routing, the business class set-up, the time in which this route took off, and the poor communication that is truly what SA seems to thrive on, the latter being years of frustration with flying with them; One can never get a person to speak with whether in Asia, NYC or LA. I had over 400K miles therefore I was getting award tickets, in business class, which I have flown for over 40 years consistently. The only ticket available for mileage went through Frankfurt, which meant I had to leave the plane (after 6 hours, middle of the night, but too early in Europe to have any of the lounges open), go through transit and feel like a zombie. (thank you Canada Air for being open and having showers!) But let's talk about the poor design of business class and lack of comfort. These were not staggered seating, so there was no privacy, the "bed" could not be done by mere mortals pushing buttons, its construction was convoluted and byzantine, such that an attendant had to physically configure the flat bed and mattress etc. So uncomfortable, as one had to contort oneself to actual fit the length. In the staggered layouts they are already at an angle. Any other flat bed can easily go from seat to bed with button pushing. I have flown to Asia and back from the USA no less than 50-60 times in the last decade and the choices of airlines with better routes and greater comfort, such as JAL, Qatar, Cathay and years ago even Malaysia Air. I don't understand why this airline gets such high marks? I know their agenda: to extend their reach and become a premier European carrier. I will continue to fly SA in Asia for very short hauls, but if I decide to go to Vietnam after many months in delightful Indonesia, it will not be on SA. I have other qualms, but let's face it, flying during this particular phase of the pandemic, with non-stop testing, non-stop mask wearing, abbreviated services, and less perks were not enough to make me stop traveling, but I thought, "Well, I am in good hands". The flying itself was lovely, (that was 21 hours, not counting stops in Frankfurt + Singapore). Good Grief! I have my return ticket on the same route in 5 months; I'll need my strength to just find out if there will be any other choice. (there wasn't in October).
RouteNew York to Jakarta via Singapore