Singapore Airlines

"Service was inconsistent"

Trip Verified | Perth to Singapore. Flight was due to depart late, but the delay was further compounded at the airport due to cargo unloading. In the end, we departed over 90 minutes after the original time. For some reason, safety video was loud in the economy cabin and then turned up even louder. We had to cover our ears. Service was inconsistent - most cabin staff were good, one was particularly curt. We arrived in Singapore with only 30 minutes to the time our connecting flight departed. The ground staff tried really hard to get us into the connecting flight - but the Malaysia Airlines counter was closed and we missed our flight because we could not get our boarding passes. We were rebooked onto a SilkAir flight the next morning with hotel vouchers to stay at the Crowne Plaza, plus dinner and breakfast included. SQ also contacted the hotel to extend their buffet opening hours to 11pm to accommodate us. Despite the frustration of missing a flight, Singapore Airlines delay management team has done very well to make things smooth. We still felt looked after having missed a flight. The delay management staff who helped us out was very impressive.
RoutePerth to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Very poor service in business class"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Manchester. Very poor service in business class. I have flown SQ business class many times before but this is the first time I have experienced such terrible service. Was particularly disappointed with the food and beverage service, and availability of cabin crew. I had requested Thai chicken curry and rice for supper, but changed my mind and requested the FA to wake me up for breakfast. I woke up just as they were serving breakfast and I requested breakfast. About 20 min later, one of the FA's served my the Thai chicken curry and rice. I was a bit shocked and told her that I requested breakfast, not supper, to which she replied they can serve only one meal to pax, and since I hadn't eaten this for supper, they brought it to me for breakfast. What? Only one meal in business class on a 13h 30m flight? And they say normal breakfast (you know toast, cereals and orange juice) is not available? Absolutely ridiculous. Not acceptable, especially in business class. Also, once they served supper (or breakfast), they went into the galley/crew rest area and never came out, and during the entire 13h 30m journey they did not even offer water to any of the pax. Again, this is not acceptable, not anywhere, let alone business class. Extremely disappointed with SQ, really did not expect them to be so lax. Will be flying the competition from now on, they just lost a customer.
AircraftA350-900
RouteSingapore to Manchester
Date FlownOctober 2019

"service has really gone downhill"

Trip Verified | I don't understand why people say SQ is the best airline in the world. The service has really gone downhill in the past 5 years. I was traveling with my 10 month old daughter and husband on the non-stop from Singapore to LA (round trip). The flight attendants don't pay attention to details. They say they will wash baby bottles, but they hand back the bottle with milk still in it. So I had to request to wash the bottles myself (thankfully they allowed this). We ordered the "Book the Cook" meals, but the flight attendant didn't look up our info so they tried to serve us regular meals. When I told them we ordered "Book the Cook" meals they asked us what we ordered. I couldn't remember. Between the two of us that's 8 meals on 2 different flights that I booked in advance. If I knew I had to bring confirmation of the meal request, I would have done that. They heated up my daughter's meal without asking so it had to be thrown away because it needs to be consumed within one hour and she was sleeping because the flight was a night flight. The seats are uncomfortable for a 16 hour flight. I feel that economy plus seats for a long-haul flight should recline more. Also, the seats were really difficult for me to recline. When we boarded the plane, there was no bottled water in the water holders. Overall, it was just underwhelming. The price wasn't too bad considering it was Economy Plus and a non-stop flight to LA. I think the airline has good ideas, they just are executed properly by their staff.
RouteSingapore to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Service still lives up to its name"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Perth with Singapore Airlines. Upon boarding, I was surprised at how close the seats were. The screen was very close to my face, which wasn’t very comfortable. The windows are new - no screens, but simply dim according to 1 of 6 settings. Even in economy, we have a USB charging port, which is a plus. Food was average. We had a choice between a western and an Asian dish. The servings were generous, and we ate from a tray with metal utensils - which is a big plus considering the number of airlines that feed us out of cupboard. Entertainment was relatively good - although not as good as Qatar Airways selection. Service still lives up to its name. Given the price of economy class, this was a decent enough ride for 4.5 hours.
RouteSingapore to Perth

"Service is the best"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Singapore. Great food. Entertainment is ok. They have many Hollywood movies. Service is the best. Because I didn’t eat much, the stewardess asked if they could give me something else. Will definitely fly again.
RouteAmsterdam to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"do not seem to be committed to premium economy"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Singapore on the late night flight. Boarding was on time and proceeded smoothly, with the usual warm welcome from the cabin crew. The seating and space is good, as expected in premium economy, with ample locker space. The seats include a leg support which is ineffective, and the footrest is not very good. There are no pre-flight drinks, unlike other airlines premium economy, and the water bottles had not been put out into the holders. This seems to be a hit and miss affair, sometimes the bottles in place on boarding, and other times only handed out later. Having water available immediately at least compensates to some degree for the lack of pre-take off drinks. Drinks were served with the meal shortly after take off, and again the Singapore attitude to premium economy is apparent. Food is the same as economy served on plastic trays, with no linen or crockery. Drinks are served in plastic tumblers. SQ advertise champagne available throughout the flight, and serve a good quality champagne, but in a tiny plastic tumbler. Service starts in premium economy, but the same crew carry on through economy, and trays remain until service is complete, and no drink refills are offered in the meantime. Water bottles were eventually handed out after meal service. Singapore economy class service is probably the best in the world, and on this flight the crew were superb. Unfortunately they do not seem to be committed to premium economy, and the enhancements which are provided by their competitors are absent. The primary justification for the “premium” price is space and comfort, which is provided, but having paid a not insignificant premium on the fare the expectation of an improved service level does not seem unreasonable. Overall the flight was good, with a superb crew, and it is unfortunate that SQ do not match other airlines with their premium economy service.
RouteBrisbane to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"I was disappointed with the seat"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Singapore. I was quite excited about flying the Singapore Airlines A350 in Premium Economy class. I chose the bulkhead (an additional $130 USD over the regular Premium Economy fare) as my seat. I was disappointed with the seat. It was barely wider than an Economy Class seat, the leg rest might as well be non existent (it only extends about 3 inches), and there’s no dedicated lavatory for Premium Economy. Not to mention, the meals and cabin service are the same as Economy. Their so called Noise Canceling headphones aren’t noise canceling at all. I will pay extra for Premium Economy on EVA or Air Canada, but never again on Singapore Airlines.
RouteSeattle to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"I will fly Singapore Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Brisbane. Cabin crew ensure you’re having the best experience. I missed getting an amenities kit as I had gone to use the lavatory. After mentioning this to a FA he went to get one however they had run out. So he tracked down every individual item, even going to business class for it to make sure I’d get a kit. The services are excellent; you get two hot towels, a blanket and a pillow, snacks and more. The seats are reasonably comfortable for economy and the in flight entertainment is expansive. The toilets are cleaned and stocked with dental kits. While more foot room and further reclining seats are always desirable, that’s never going to change in economy class. I will fly Singapore Airlines again.
AircraftA350-900
RouteSingapore to Brisbane

"very impressive flight"

Trip Verified | Flight from Stockholm to Moscow. Swift boarding. Clean and bright economy class cabin, very comfortable seat. Impeccable service. Very tasty and lavish (for such a short flight) breakfast (s. photo). No wonder the airline keeps being ranked so high in all reviews. Overall impression: very impressive flight with a pleasant aftertaste. Bravo!
RouteStockholm to Moscow
Date FlownAugust 2019

"each time is a little worse"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Melbourne. I have taken SQ many times and each time is a little worse than the flight before. This flight was on time and passengers were boarded according to section. I was lucky that there was a spare seat between myself and the guy with the aisle seat. Once we took off, the passenger in front reclined (day flight) and it sure makes economy feel so squeezy. Unlike their promise on the website that you won’t be packed like sardines, you are. I can’t eat fish but I guess SQ decided to save money by incorporating all allergies. My breakfast was gluten free (revolting hard dry roll), no dairy and no sugar. I was appalled by it compared to the normal breakfast. I am glad I brought snacks like chocolate and cookies. The selection of entertainment was fine and the toilets are kept clean. However paying so much more to go with SQ I expected the standards to be maintained not reduced. I think I will only base future travel on price as this so called great airline is not so great.
RouteSingapore to Melbourne