Singapore Airlines

"big improvement in service"

Not Verified | Apart from my Mileage Plus problem, the IFE, crew attitude and food were amazing. They mostly gave me Salmon for my seafood meals. They were also willing to answer to my curiosity about the laughter coming from the rear galley. Another problem encountered was the Wi-Fi because I had to pay for it. However, neither the Wi-Fi nor my Mileage Plus problems were as big as the problem encountered in 2014. I can say, quite a big improvement in service from 2016. All in all, the problems (Mileage Plus & Wi-Fi) were much smaller
RouteNewark to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2018

"ended up with an economy meal"

Trip Verified | Paris to Brisbane via Singapore. Spent the extra to go Premium Economy. While the flight to Paris from Brisbane was relatively enjoyable, the return was not. The staff serving our aisle constantly forgot things. I was given half a meal (no diet restrictions) she just forgot to give the rest. When I realised because the woman across from me received her full meal (from the FA on the other aisle). I asked my FA for the rest. She said she would have to check if she had any left. She then proceeded to serve the rest of her side of the plane and then forgot entirely. When I pressed the service button, she came up and told me I had bumped it before even asking if I needed anything. I reminded her about the meal but she said they had all gone. I ended up with an economy meal then - no choice. My partner numerous times requested a drink and had to remind the woman 15 minutes later when nothing came. Then to top it off - For Christmas my partner purchased a new suitcase for me. So the return trip was its first time. It was a Samsonite Case and it arrived in Brisbane completely trashed. Plastic parts around the handle snapped off, dents so large it pierced the plastic the whole way through. My zip doesnt even zip up flush to the case any longer. I contacted the airline but they will not cover it.
RouteParis to Brisbane via Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"The seats are smaller"

Trip Verified | Last time I flew with Singapore Airlines two years ago I was really impressed so I was excited to travel with them again. We boarded in sections efficiently and were warmly welcomed on board. The seats are smaller and the pitch tighter. We departed on time and as soon as airborne the teen in front of me reclined her seat the screen was a hands length away from my face. Shame that this more expensive airline has effectively negated the positives of flying with them. Yes you still get hot refresher towels and the entertainment choice was pretty good. The food was okay, nothing special but adequate if you like beef. We were seat 45, and the only option left was the beef. The toilets were kept clean and we arrived into Changi on time. However it is the tight seats at premium price I have an issue with. I am divided as to whether I’d recommend, it’s safe and reliable so I’d say yes. However do not expect anything special.
RouteMelbourne to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2018

"different airline via Moscow"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Singapore Airlines is a totally different airline when taking the route Singapore to Stockholm via Moscow. The air hostesses are usually very service minded in Singapore Airlines and thats why I used to like them. But the exception is this flight through Russia. The air hostesses are mainly Russian and do not meet expectations in my eyes of the usual level of service that defines this airline. Furthermore, when exiting the plane in Moscow, prepare yourself for a nightmare. 1 long line which consists of all the passengers on the A350-900, needs to line up for getting a red stamp in your boarding pass. Then you have to stand in a second long line to get a green stamp in your boarding pass. Then there was a third line to the x-ray of the hand luggage before you could stand (not enough seats to sit) by the gate without any restaurant, café or what so ever. And add to the misery that since i stupidly enough forgot my boarding pass to Moscow on the plane, I had to stand in a fourth line. Its very obvious this route is a failure. It is always way more cheap going through DME to and from Singapore than through LHR, FRA or CPH. Avoid Singapore Airlines flying to and from Stockholm through Moscow.
AircraftA350-900
RouteSingapore to Stockholm via Moscow
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"experience onboard quite standard"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Jakarta. 9 years since I last took Singapore Airlines. Online check-in process easy, I managed to call the hotline to change my seat to get an exit row with my parents which was done easily. SQ did even bother to send us an SMS to warn us about the French strikes blocking the roads and to go early to the airport subsequently. Very good point. I find the quality of service onboard below of that of few years ago, food standard and bland, staff with good hard-skills though (responsive, efficient and professional) but could be better - they talk very fast, robotic gestures and could be more smiling. On our inbound leg, they ran out of one food option which left us very disappointed. Seats on the Boeing 777-300ER larger and more comfortable compared with that of other premium airlines. For the outbound Jakarta-Singapore leg, they asked us if we wanted to take an earlier flight, so that we could have more buffer time transiting in Singapore for our next flight to Paris and not being too much in a hurry, which was a very good point. All in all, very good ground service, but experience onboard quite standard. I place this experience on par with 4-star airlines such as Emirates, but below the 5-Star Qatar Airways. Good value for money though.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSingapore to Jakarta
Date FlownDecember 2018

"wanted 2200$ for upgrade"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Brisbane. Seems like service / food is getting worse slowly over time. Upgraded to business class for 1200$ from Brisbane to Singapore but SQ wanted 2200$ for Singapore to Brisbane upgrade. Amazing difference in the same sector?
RouteSingapore to Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Flight attendants were elegantly efficient"

Trip Verified | Overnight flight delayed in takeoff due to airport congestion brought on by inclement weather. On boarding the large number of passengers on this oversized aircraft was impressively quick and smooth. Flight attendants were elegantly efficient - the female flight attendants were strikingly lissome. Sitting configuration was 3-4-3. Seats were comfortable but given that most seats were occupied, the cabin felt crowded. Lots of film choices on the seatback personal entertainment system, they were easy to access. Ample overhead luggage space. Leg space a bit tight. Seat reclination juts the backseat TV screen rather close to your face and the tray table to your tummy. In fact, the flight attendants, while serving meals, ensured that the passengers returned the seats to a more straight up position. A dinner and a breakfast were served. A multi page menu book was provided to all. There were two entree choices for both meals - no vegetarian choice. That was a shocking surprise. I chose the fish dish. It was amply portioned and tasty. The breakfast cold sandwiches were dry and virtually inedible. Predinner drinks were served in plastic tumblers from a tray that flight attendants carried - juice, beer, white wine were on offer. Dinner and breakfast cutlery were metal, not plastic. Duty free catalog was thick but nothing distinctive products on offer. Cockpit crew kept us informed of the flight and take off delays. Singapore Airlines should consider their impact on the environment - on this relatively short overnight flight they can simplify the breakfast and dinner, dispense with the paper menu and the basic amenities bag and ensure a vegetarian option as standard. Bathrooms were clean throughout. A good option over Lufthansa or United. Arrived more or less on time after a somewhat bumpy flight.
RouteNew York JFK to Frankfurt
Date FlownDecember 2018

"seats are not very comfortable"

Trip Verified | The usual good ground service at Changi Airport. Aircraft was an upgraded 773ER with the new Y class product. Service on this almost 14h flight was good, with attentive staff. The seats are not very comfortable, thin padding and little legroom. IFE very good. Food was below average for such a long flight. The 777 as usual, pretty noisy.
AircraftBoeing 773ER
RouteSingapore to Frankfurt
Date FlownDecember 2018

"crew were proactive with drinks"

Trip Verified | Departing SIN-LHR on the redeye flight (departing 1 am), this means a group of grumpy and tired travellers. Took the front row bulkhead seat in PE on Boeing 777-300ER which gives quite a lot of legroom, the downside is the the inflight entertainment (IFE) system is tucked away on the floor, in a it's own separate housing. I eschewed the champagne and dinner for sleep, and here I still find the SQ PE seats very stiff and difficult to recline, it really takes quite a lot of effort to force the seat into a recline position. Nonetheless, there is a reasonable amount of elbow space, and the personal reading lights, noise-cancelling earphones and cubby holes give a sense of comfort. The IFE is the new touch-screen system with a separate seat controller handset. My IFE monitor refused to come out of it's housing, but the aircrew performed some magic with a knife and fork, and saved the day! Food (the breakfast that I tried) was reasonably good, and crew were proactive with drinks and snacks through the flight. The only downside of PE in the B777 series is that access to the shared toilets is at the rear with normal economy, and you have to manage the queues for access the best you can. Overall, a good experience especially now that PE pricing appears to be equivalent to the prices from competitors such as Lufthansa.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSingapore to London Heathrow
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Food average and service slow"

Not Verified | Danang to Adelaide via Singapore. Our flight over to Vietnam was quite comfortable and good service, however, the return was quite different. My bag was severely damaged in transit from Danang to Singapore. I was given the run around at Changi by staff and have to hope that I can manage a damage claim via email. The Silk air flight (which was code shared on SQ ticket) was very average. Old plane, the meal looked awful. Service was very rushed and impersonal. Singapore to Adelaide flight overnight - no sleep due to extremely badly behaved child that screamed the whole time. Staff seemed oblivious and only intervened to talk to the parents when I requested them to do so. No food served until 5 hrs into the flight despite the fact everyone was awake due to screaming child. Drinks trolley never bought through. No snack service in galley like other flights do. Very disappointed. Food was average and service slow. I found it insulting that the IFE played a video showing all the features of the business class seat not once but twice, a lovely reminder to those in cattle class what they are missing. New A350 has poor leg room and when the person in front reclined i could not bend my legs and had to keep them straightened under the seat in front. IFE very average. Wouldn't go out of my way to fly Singapore again.
RouteDanang to Adelaide via Singapore