Singapore Airlines

"reduce both the level and quality of service"

Trip Verified | I fear for the future of airline travel when airlines appear to use the excuse of covid19 to reduce both the level and quality of service, especially for an airline previously renowned for its 1st class operation like Singapore Airlines. I was bitterly disappointed in my recent flying experience with them; from poor quality food to reduced service levels. The crew was still wonderful, but that can't make up for the overall feeling I was left with. Forget your business class comfort pack (in my view, covid19 is not a reasonable excuse for why this has been dropped), you now need to take your own eye patches/earplugs to be able to sleep if you are prone to light/sound. Instead, you'll receive a covid19 kit so you can clean your own cabin area. Meals were of such poor quality that I wished I had brought my own sandwiches. No menus are available so you have to try and listen to rather badly-pronounced meal choices to make your selection. I chose chicken and rice which turned out to be bland and gristly, with practically uncooked chicken skin (see photos). Apparently, the different meal choice of the passenger to my left did not go down well as they also left theirs untouched. My breakfast choice; scrambled eggs and sausage were served practically cold. Excessive amounts of plastic being used in meal preparation is also very disappointing in a world trying on the whole to reduce plastic. This is hands-down the worst experience in business class that I have ever experienced and was compounded by the overly-officious ground staff yelling at us (in hazmat-like suits) to walk in single file as we were marched to a 'holding area' rather than a business class lounge. In this holding area, not even water was on offer. Other lines of passengers transiting on different flights were ordered to stand against the wall whilst our group passed by. My very strong advice, whilst covid19 continues to plague travel, is don't transit through Singapore or use Singapore Airlines.
RouteJakarta to London via Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2021

"the change would cost 490 USD"

Trip Verified | I booked a round-trip ticket on Singapore Airlines. The company touted customers' ability to change their flights for free, even being able to change a flight for free and having one free change after September 30, which would allow them to delay their flight well into 2022. I was able to easily change the flight until mid-September. After that point, I wasn't allowed to change it online and needed to call in which required over 1 hour of waiting. In September I could have changed my return flight to far into the future. In fact, the return leg of my flight was 2 months and 1 day after the initial flight. When I called in to push my flight date back, the customer service agent said I must upgrade my flight to rebook and that there was a minimum required stay of 2 months, meaning I couldn't have a the return leg of the flight more than two months after the initial one. First of all, my return flight was already more than 2 months later and before they restricted online flight changes, I could have changed my flight to much later dates. The agent also told me the flight change would cost over 900 USD, more than the original round-trip ticket. I requested to speak to a manager. She denied my request and said she would talk to her team. After 30 minutes of being on hold, she said I could book my flight a maximum of one month past the current return date. This was not part of the agreement when I originally booked the flight. Now, however, I didn't need to upgrade the flight for some reason, but the change would cost 490 USD. Booking a one-way ticket at that time cost 497 USD. The agent explained that the difference was in the price of the flight. Nothing she said made sense. I am about as likely to trust Singapore Airlines again as I am to fly with them.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Singapore
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"I was disappointed with my flights"

Trip Verified | Check in, security check at Frankfurt airport were conducted fast and efficient. Food and drink choice at LH Senator lounge limited due to Covid restrictions. Boarding of this empty 12h flight organized and uneventful. No pre departure drink offered, only after I’ve asked twice. No menus handed out, no Book the Cook online order of meals offered. The meals on offer were basically Economy meals served on China instead of plastic. The flight attendant was not able to tell me what types of wine were available. She even tried to convince me that a Chablis is a red wine. Everything was served on one tray. All those service shortcomings were explained as "hygienic precautions". The seat is very wide, but it’s hard to find a comfy seating position, and padding was insufficient. What really made me upset was the all nigh chit-chatting of the staff in the pantry. I know it was a long empty night flight, but please do not rob me of my sleep. This was not the first time I’ve experienced this on SQ. Transfer in Changi was chaotic, with passengers of each connecting flight being herded in long lines (nobody cared about social distancing here) before being escorted to their next flight. I’ve been on a long haul Qatar Airways flight a couple of weeks ago, and there was no compromise in services, and the staff was disciplined as always during the night flight. I was disappointed with my SQ flights after I have not been flying them for some time. I think some of their competitors are already ahead of them; so it’s high time for SQ to pull up their socks.
RouteFrankfurt to Bangkok via Singapore
Date FlownAugust 2021

"frustrating experience trying to book a flight"

(Cambodia)

Not Verified | I've never had a more frustrating experience trying to book a flight .. website saying unable to proceed, customer service tell me to keep trying different flights until one works. Then several credit cards declined. Customer service tell me to send an email, they say they'll call me back .. never do. Absolute frustrating mess!
Date FlownMay 2021

"the staff were outstanding"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Excellent flights, and the staff were outstanding. Both flights were very empty, which added to the comfort level - I had an entire row to myself, and most rows around me were empty too. Nonetheless, it would have still been comfortable even if full - seats were spacious, with excellent legroom, and plenty of storage space in the seatback. The IFE was good - a varied selection of movies and TV shows, and the screen was large and high quality. Meals were all good - in particular the fried carrot cake was one of the best economy class meals I've eaten! My only gripe would be that there was no alcohol service beyond what came with the meals: usually they would do a drinks run before meals, and then offer top-ups during the meal service. This time the only drinks were offered with the meal. I suspect this may be due to Covid-19, in order to minimise interaction: it wasn't a problem, as crew were always responsive to my requests. What really made the flight were the crew: they were so friendly, attentive, warm and welcoming. This must be a difficult time for them to work, yet they were all wonderful. Additionally, I felt the Covid-19 prevention measures were good and well enforced.
RouteIstanbul to Auckland via Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2020

"staff on these flights were fantastic"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | We have flown with many airlines on various routes worldwide and this was the first time I have flown with Singapore Airlines since having children. The whole experience was second to none, absolutely fantastic. The flight from London was packed and yet the staff were VERY attentive, helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much to ask. On a much quieter flight from Singapore to New Zealand the staff were just as fantastic. Staff always make or break the experience but the staff on these flights were fantastic and an asset to Singapore air. Thank you for such a great experience. With all the covid regulations, the transfer was seamless, with a great area for the children to lay during our layover. Changi airport was a good experience even with most of it closed! We will be flying with you again!
RouteLondon Heathrow to Christchurch via Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2020

"like to get a refund for my ticket"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I paid the high price and full fare for the First-Class ticket and was refunded only 29% of the full fare without giving the passenger a chance to confirm/consent to the refund amount. Very poor customer service and communication. March 23, 2020: SQ emailed me that my flight was cancelled due to Covid-19 situation. April 5: I wrote back "I would like to get a refund for my ticket. Pls revert." My intention was to ask what was the refund amount and was expecting them to revert. April 7: No response from SQ. April 14: SQ refunded the ticket without confirming the amount. As a First-Class passenger and there are only 4 first class seats in the flight to LAX, SQ could, in the very least, confirm with me the refund amount and obtain my consent before refund. And after I disputed the refund amount as being unreasonably low (not enough for me to buy another one-way first-class ticket back), they should have the courtesy to handle the communication with the customer better and in a more timely manner. So, I have requested for a reinstatement of my ticket instead of the refund on by emailing and calling customer service of SQ on June 5 and got a reply on June 30 that still under investigation. Current status as of Aug 20, it has been one and a half months and still no reply from SQ.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I don’t like being taken advantage of"

Not Verified | Inflating fares to rip off passengers during covid. My flight for December 2020 has been cancelled but SIA are offering a voucher for the fare already paid plus £40 to be used to make a new reservation costing anything from £300 - £1,00 extra on top of what I’d already paid. I’m really surprised Singapore Airlines are profiteering from loyal passengers in this way. Surely as one of the leading airlines in the world they should be offering to reschedule flights when there is availability but at no additional fare difference cost. I enjoy the service they provide but I don’t like being taken advantage of / ripped off and I will remember this smoke & mirrors con trick the next time I book a flight.
RouteManchester to Cebu via Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2020

"they made us occupy all 3 seats"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Disappointed with Singapore Airlines. Melbourne to Singapore flight was good. There were many passengers in the plane but at least we were one seat apart. Some even had the whole row just for themselves which gave them more space from others. But the transit flight, Singapore to Manila, was unacceptable, it was jam packed and most of us were given seats alongside others whom we did not know. In a 3-seat row, they made us occupy all 3 seats hence, social distancing protocol was not followed when they should have been more careful. We asked the flight attendant he told us we were wearing a face mask and face shield so it should be okay. Please note that ratings below are only based on our flight from Singapore.
RouteMelbourne to Manila via Singapore
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Overall, I was pleased"

Trip Verified | This was my first time flying on Singapore Airlines, and unlikely to be my last. The service was pretty straightforward: efficient, smooth, procedural, orderly, helpful. I would say that they're more efficient than friendly, though. Singapore check-in and gate staff at Changi were quite pleasant and friendly, but on-flight staff were neither rude nor friendly. Hey, I'm fine with professionalism, as long as it's not done in a curt or rude way (I'm looking at you, most North American airlines!) Check-in at Changi, an automated breeze done in the new Jewel section. The plane and lavatories were clean. The meal was pretty good for economy class, and entertainment options were just fine for a 3.5-hour flight. Most importantly, our flight arrived into a very quiet Hong Kong Airport early. Overall, I was pleased.
RouteSingapore to Hong Kong