SATA Air Azores

"refuse to give compensation"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Terceira to Lisbon, cancel the flight and refuse to give compensation according to EU law. They refuse to take responsibility and lie to you. Perfect example how an airline should not be run.
RouteTerceira to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2019

"better leg room than some"

Not Verified | I was concerned when I read so many poor reviews but if anything it prepared me for the worst which did not happen. Flight was on time. Check in a breeze. Plane was spotless and better leg room than some airlines. I never expect fine dining on planes so I prepare by bringing some snacks. In saying that - the food was fine. And they refilled your wine or beer free. I also downloaded some movies on my iPad so we had our own entertainment - perfect. Coming back the flight was delayed an hour due to an issue with the incoming Toronto flight so you can’t do anything about that. They contacted me on my phone to advise me if the delay. All n all a very good flight!
RouteToronto to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownMay 2019

"canceled our tickets"

Trip Verified | Ponta Delgada to Ile de Terceira. A deplorable company, which canceled our tickets without telling us (not an email, not a message), then resell them and tell us the day of boarding that the plane is full. A contemptuous customer contact, no help, no advice, no refund proposal. This setback has made us miss a match in Terceira and another in Lisbon. Today, after making us lose a fortune in airline tickets, the customer service of SATA turns a deaf ear, but we have not finished with them.
AircraftDH2
RoutePonta Delgada to Ile de Terceira

"Worthless customer service"

Trip Verified | Terceira to Ponta Delgada. After a delay on Terceira we were stuck for 7 hours. Our vacation was seven hours short because of the delay. According to European law you should receive compensation for this. After 5 months I only received an email back from the airline with just an excuse. I transferred the further mail changes to the travel agency where we had booked our vacation, but the airline still refuses (after 7 months) to pay for our vacation loss. Worthless customer service that can only be reached by e-mail.
RouteTerceira to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Cabin crews were efficient"

Trip Verified | FNC-PDL-YYZ, May 1 2019. A Great Experience. Easy online check in, friendly baggage drop off at Madeira airport where flight left early. Airbus 320 and 321 planes on both segments were clean. Cabin crews were efficient and cared about all passengers. Lunch service on the first 2 hour segment included an OK sandwich and a generous pour of wine! Dinner service on the FNC-YYZ segment - including more good Portuguese wine - was better than previous flights I have taken with Azores. Flight deck announcements were complete and non intrusive. Inflight entertainment which is available only through a downloadable app could be improved. In short, I am a fan of this small airline. I also respect the reviews of customers that point out when things fall off the rails they really fall off! However, in my personal experience over the years of flying in the winter months with Azores, there have been weather delays but connecting flights have been held and there have been no serious screw ups.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteFunchal to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"experience was a rather good"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Lisbon. My experience was a rather good one. Flights were on time, the food was decent, there was enough leg room for my 5'11 self. The only issue I had was trying to get in touch with customer support (which I never managed to do via phone) but they were able to fix my issue at the gate so all was well. I would recommend SATA Azores to any travelers on a budget.
RouteToronto to Lisbon

"22 hours of layovers"

Trip Verified | Boston to Ponta Delgada. Worst experience of my life, bought this ticket because it was the quickest route, they have canceled/changed my flight 4 times in the first 5 hours of travel. My flight will now be a total of 12 hours flying 22 hours of layovers. The staff at the check in is rude and no one answers their contact phone number. I’m trying to work with my credit card to get the cost of the return flight canceled but I think I’m just going to buy a ticket from a reputable airline and cut my losses.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada

"crew was friendly"

Trip Verified | YYZ-PDL-FNC. Easy on line check in and baggage drop at Pearson airport. The first leg on a new Airbus was 30 minutes late leaving and arriving but we caught up on the second leg and landed in Madeira on time. The connecting flight was on an old reliable Q400 turboprop. Both flights were full but crew was friendly and the meals were edible. Planes were clean. On the PDL-FNC leg, they even gave out celebratory pastries called malassadas as a pre Carnival treat.
AircraftAirbus / Q400
RoutePonta Delgada to Funchal
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"staff were great"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Terceira to Lisboa. The flight departed a bit late, thus arriving 15 minutes late. No explanation or apologies offered. Still, the service was very good, staff were great, even when dealing with a medical emergency on board.
RouteTerceira to Lisboa
Date FlownMarch 2019

"flight was uneventful"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Santa Maria to Ponta Delgada. My first inter island flight. Boarding went well, staff were nice. The flight was uneventful, taking only 20 minutes. I would advise to ensure that flight magazines are well kept and not torn apart.
RouteSanta Maria to Ponta Delgada