SATA Air Azores

"the best customer service"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Fantastic airline, with the best customer service ever! I had to change my travel plan at the last moment, I call the customer care and they change all my flights between the islands without charging anything. It took few minutes, I received the new flight plans immediately.
RouteLisbon to Flores via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownJune 2021

"airline is just very unprofessional"

Not Verified | This airline is just very unprofessional and just has horrible communication. My flight was canceled the day of the flight 4 hours the scheduled time. I am traveling with family and this was very difficult for all of us to relocate to another island and re-arrange our schedules/ work schedules. We were told it was due to “bad weather” but every other flight was able to fly and get to their destinations. On top of it all the flight attendants are just very rude. I hope to never fly with them again respectfully.
RouteTericia to Boston
Date FlownJuly 2021

"a nightmare to deal with"

Trip Verified | It's a nightmare to deal with the customer service, they lied about the information about my trip, and try to get a refund they wanted to charge more for their pocket, and I'm sure they do this to other people. Thank God I had proof to back up my situation, lets make sure they treat people with respect, dignity, and honesty.
RouteBoston to Praia
Date FlownApril 2021

"Worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | Worst customer service ever. Flight has been cancelled 3 times so far and was never offered a refund as per EU regulations, got pushed into accepting a voucher, and now that I am demanding a refund after going through 18 months of cancellations they are telling me because I accepted a voucher they cannot give a refund. They do what they want with you. This will be the last time I ever fly with Sata.
RouteToronto to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Horrible experience"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Toronto. I came to the airport to go to Canada with all my documents I needed to prove my Working Holiday Visa. At the counter for check-in bags lady didn’t want to take my suitcase saying I can not enter Canada without return ticket. I tried politely to explain there is no need to have a return ticket if you have proof of funds that state you are able to purchase a ticket. That is written in Canadian Goverment official site (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/prepare-arrival.html). The lady wanted to cancel my flight and then I spoke with the supervisor whom I had to explain and show where this information are represented. After an hour of arguing they gave me boarding tickets saying I will be in the same consideration when I come to the gate and the flight was in 15 minutes. Luckily nobody at the gate checked anything except my boarding pass but I was in fear what will happen in connection flight in Azores. I arrived to Canada and I was eligible to enter with documentation I presented also to SATA where I was almost rejected. How can policies from airline company be different than Canadian goverment? Horrible experience and hopefully my journey won’t cross with this airline anymore.
RouteLisbon to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I am beyond angry!"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Funchal via Ponta Delgada. I am beyond angry! First time customer to SATA, and will be the last time ever. we booked Sao Miguel + Madeira 11 day vacation through Azores Getaway for Christmas and New Year holidays. The flight from Toronto to Sao Miguel on Dec 21st. Was delayed for 7 hours. Of course we didn’t find out until after arrived to Toronto airport at 5:30 PM. Too late to drive back to Ottawa. Stayed at the airport for 10 hours and we really tired and cold overnight. This was only the beginning of the nightmare. On Dec. 24th, Christmas eve, our flight from Ponta Delgada to Funchal was delayed again by 10 hours. We missed our paid rental car because the rental car office closed at 9 PM at Funchal. The SATA airline staff told us to take a taxi and get reimburse later. We did exactly that, and emailed the receipts to the provided email address. Guess what? The taxi fare was 23.5 Euro but SATA can only pay 10 Euro based on their rules. We never wanted a free taxi from SATA. We paid for our rental car already but we couldn’t get the car because of the delay. We missed our Christmas eve dinner. We had to take taxi again on Chrismas day to the airport again to get the rental car. What we have done to deserve that? we didn’t even choose SATA on our own as we didn’t know which airline Azores Getaway would use for the vacation package. I am too angry to write more for now. But I will later. It is not about the money anymore.
RouteToronto to Funchal via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownDecember 2019

"one choice meal with wine"

Trip Verified |  Continues to remain the best value by far. Efficient, friendly check in at YYZ with one small snag. Our no-charge pre-selected seats were changed for load balancing purposes on an A321 that was only about 70% full. YYZ-PDL. We were delayed leaving Toronto 30 minutes because of fog at Ponta Delgadap in the Azores but caught up 15 minutes en route. Plane was newish and clean. No built in entertainment system. Full service, one choice meal with wine was served on a 5.5 hr flight. PDL-FNC. The second leg was on an older Q400 turboprop. On time departure from Ponta Delgada and arrival in Madeira. Polite service with sandwich snack and non alcohol service. When we landed in Madeira, the curious requirement to get from the plane to the terminal using a bus - maybe 100 metres - meant that our luggage arrived for pick up at the same time we did!
AircraftA321/Q400
RouteToronto to Funchal via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Terceira to Boston, We've been delayed for over 4 hours with no update. The plane is here in Terceira sitting in the runway. No update. No food. No drink. The only cafe will only take cash, no card. There's not an ATM in this airport, so unless you have cash you're out of luck. I'll never fly this airline again.
RouteTerceira to Boston
Date FlownDecember 2019

"left to figure out what to do next"

Trip Verified | Boston to Terceria. This airline operates in an area where the weather is particularly difficult to navigate. Even with this being a common occurrence, they seem to have very little functional protocol in place for helping customers or staff find streamlined solutions. Our flight was unable to land due to weather, which meant rerouting more than 2 hours away. I was not upset about this, safety was most important. But there was nothing in place to help us know how to navigate the process of getting to our original destination. The captain and crew thanked us for flying like it was just a normal flight and we were left to figure out what to do next. No instructions were given, no directions to the airline desk, once we finally found airport staff to help guide us to the Sata counter, many of us waited in line for more than 4 hours with a blindsided staff getting mixed messages from management. New boarding passes were given then canceled, offers for local hotel and flying out the next day were offered then canceled .. many of us were put on a flight that had two more stops, the last one still not our original destination. Another long wait in lines until after midnight. This company needs some training on how to operate professionally. I feel terrible for their staff having to face so many weary, angry travelers with no workable options for making things right in anything barely reaching a timely manner.
RouteBoston to Terceria
Date FlownDecember 2019

"more compensation is necessary"

Not Verified | We had a flight booked Business Class from Toronto to Las Palmas. The day of the flight we received a call at 9:45am telling us our flight was cancelled due to a strike. They attempted to book us economy until I insisted that wasn’t right. They booked us on TAP Portugal to Lisbon for two days. We have paid for a beautiful hotel in Gran Canaria and are not able to use two days of it. The airline gave us two $15 airport food vouchers and that was it. I called when we landed in Lisbon to find out which hotel we would be staying at only to find out we have to find our own but they only pay 80 euros a day (not quite the same as we have sitting empty in Gran Canaria). I think more compensation is necessary and will be pursuing once we get home.
RouteToronto to Las Palmas