SATA Air Azores

"more compensation is necessary"

Not Verified | We had a flight booked Business Class from Toronto to Las Palmas. The day of the flight we received a call at 9:45am telling us our flight was cancelled due to a strike. They attempted to book us economy until I insisted that wasn’t right. They booked us on TAP Portugal to Lisbon for two days. We have paid for a beautiful hotel in Gran Canaria and are not able to use two days of it. The airline gave us two $15 airport food vouchers and that was it. I called when we landed in Lisbon to find out which hotel we would be staying at only to find out we have to find our own but they only pay 80 euros a day (not quite the same as we have sitting empty in Gran Canaria). I think more compensation is necessary and will be pursuing once we get home.
RouteToronto to Las Palmas
Date FlownOctober 2019

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Toronto via Ponta Delgada. This was the worst airline I have ever flown. It must have low priority as the taxi rides and bus rides to the runways are long and times do not seem to be factored into the flight schedule. All flights were late. There was zero communication from staff. Upon asking we were told different answers by different staff. From the time of booking (four months early) we attempted to be seated together, and then each subsequent time, without success. There is ZERO entertainment on board - not even a screen to monitor the flight progress (and no announcements). The entire crew sat in the back row and chatted for the full 6 hours. At the connection we were kept in a small security room with far too many people for longer than was expected without access to any services. I had been told I could not bring duty free from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada but that I could purchase it there. Upon arrival there I was told the kiosk would open. It did not and we were stuck without any entertainment for the 2++ hour wait and the 6 hour flight. There were many children on board and they were allowed to join their friends and share seats (even when the seatbelt sign was on) Best of all, the dinner "service" was one hour into the flight. They ran out of wine before it completed (not even available to purchase). In Portugal! Mickey Mouse Air.
RouteLisbon to Toronto via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Professional cabin crew"

(Greece)

Funchal to Ponta Delgada. Half of the passengers got through the gate & on to the bus, then we had to go back to the terminal and start boarding again 15 minutes later. Finally we were on our way 45 minutes delayed. Flight on a Q400 they offered sandwiches with cookie and drinks and wine. Professional cabin crew.
AircraftQ400
RouteFunchal to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Zero help from SATA"

Trip Verified | Do not recommend this airline as their service is terrible. We flew Ponta Delgada to Lisbon and had connection in Lisbon with KLM. Ticket was sold with connection. When we tried to check in luggage all the way to Amsterdam it was refused even though SATA does have interline agreement with KLM. As result of it we had to recheck luggage in Lisbon. Flight was delayed, took 25 min. for luggage to arrive in Lisbin, check in desk was closed by the time we arrived to recheck luggage. Missed connecting flight just because luggage was not checked all the way. Zero help from SATA, sent complain letter to them , after more than a month none reaction. Use TAP as they more flexible than SATA.
RoutePonta Delgada to Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2019

"disappointed with the service"

Not Verified | Fake advertisement of the ability to purchase additional baggage. 15 euros per kg. When I had originally purchased the ticket, it was made clear on the website that I would be able to purchase additional baggage. Today I was trying to complete my check-in and purchase the extra luggage however the website did not allow this option, I therefore rung the contact number available on the website to make the purchase and to my surprise was told that I could purchase the extra baggage only once I arrive at the airport, only after questioning the lady on the phone, I was told that in fact I could not take an extra suitcase but only pay for extra kilos in the luggage which I already have (£15 per kilo from the suitcase I already have). Unfortunately, I have already brought and paid for an extra suitcase from London to Lisbon with the expectation that I would be able to take it to Cape Verde. Im highly disappointed with the service I have received thus far, I usually take this trip with TAP however decided to try something new and now I am being charged an additional £450 for a suitcase. This was extremely unclear across the website and now I have no choice but to throw away my suitcase with all my belongings as the price of this was not advertised.
RouteLisbon to Cape Verde
Date FlownAugust 2019

"flight to Boston cancelled"

Trip Verified | Terrible airline. Our flight from Ponta Delgada to Boston cancelled due to plane issues in Boston. We were told that we needed to stay in line until they wrote on names and phone number on a piece of paper then told to leave airport and they would contact us when our new flight would be booked. Waited 24hrs without a call had to return to airport to try to get answers and let them know that 2 of the 4 in my group were diabetic without any more medication due to cancellation. They didn’t care at all, I had to plea with them to finally get on the plane Monday night from Saturday original flightt. We were not given any compensation for hotels food etc. Cost us in 2 days of hotels additional $400.00
RoutePonta Delgada to Boston

"experience was terrible"

Trip Verified | Ponta Delgada to Toronto. The worse flight and airline I have taken in my extensive 43 years of extensive travel. A 2 hour delay became almost a 6 hour delay in total between issues with crew, boarding, gate availability and more. The food was horrible, the crew were rude and the experience was terrible. On top of everything we are still on the plane after landing 45 minutes ago as we taxiing from gate to gate being told that there are issues (on our way to our 3rd gate now). I don’t understand how an airline can be so poorly run and how they coordinate so poorly with it’s crew. I don’t blame SATA for the gate issues (thank you Pearson airport) but everything else has been their fault. It’s 2019, all other airlines are doing better than you. Glad there’s more competition to the Azores. Stay away from SATA
RoutePonta Delgada to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Do not trust this airline"

Not Verified | Ponta Delgada to Lisbon. Do not trust this airline. My husband and I booked our trip to the Azores, from there we booked a flight from the Azores to Lisbon Portugal. We booked our flight with SATA airlines. We arrived at the airport to catch our flight to Lisbon only to receive an SMS text saying our flight was cancelled and we were being put on a flight 7 hours later than. Not only did they put us on the last flight of the day to Lisbon but they wouldn’t even put us on any waiting lists for earlier flights. We lost a day of our vacation thanks to SATA. Do not book or put your trust in them.
RoutePonta Delgada to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2019

"option to fly middle row economy"

Trip Verified | Flight cancelled but not told about it until I showed up at the airport even though they had my cell number and email address. I was sent to a very long ground service line staffed by one person. Despite holding a business class ticket out of Delgada to Boston, I was only given the option to fly middle row economy in the back of the plane on a United flight through Newark 25 hrs after my original booking getting in to Boston 30hrs later than my original ticket. They put me up in the 69 euro/ night airport hotel in Porto for 24hrs. Despite asking, no compensation for the difference in price of the business class ticket. I paid an additional $244 to United to upgrade the seat to economy plus as I am very tall and find United economy seats painfully short of leg room.
RoutePorto to Boston via Delgada
Date FlownJuly 2019

"refuse to give compensation"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Terceira to Lisbon, cancel the flight and refuse to give compensation according to EU law. They refuse to take responsibility and lie to you. Perfect example how an airline should not be run.
RouteTerceira to Lisbon