SATA Air Azores

"Great Staff in flight"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | Great Staff in flight, really nice with children. Ground service really friendly in Lisbon. Pleasant flight with a lot of information during the flight.
RouteLisbon to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Unbelievably bad"

Trip Verified | Unbelievably bad. Communication dramatic. There was no communication between the transfer where you have to hope to reach your plane. Transfers from Amsterdam to Azores are not met all the time which resulted in continue missed flights.
RoutePico to Amsterdam via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"The worst nightmare airline"

Trip Verified | The worst nightmare airline. My original flight supposed to airtime Lisbon at 11am 24 June but flight was delayed 2hrs from New York to Ponta so I arrived at Ponta 9:30am, staff had no provide any ticket to Lisbon as actually SATA Air Azores flight was delayed but we all customers need to get to the checking buy new tickets to Lisbon. First Lady staff put us in the latest flight at 9:30pm so arrival time will be 12pm. We fight for customer right with SATA Air Azores staff on Ponta during 3hrs there till we get the new flight from 9:30pm Change to 7:20pm and third time with afternoon staff they change our flight to 3:15 pm arrival Lisbon at 6:30pm. Another nightmare when we arrived Lisbon airport during the plane landing I can saw my luggage sitting on the runway wait for me. Because my original flight was canceled but I assume my bag was delivered to Lisbon airport earlier than my actual flight 3:15pm. I waited for 2hrs till 10pm without any baggage staff/airport staff/airline staff support or help. No one care about customers issues in Lisbon airport. And I need to leave the airport to check in my room with Airbnb because it already night time at 10:30pm must checkin the room. The next day I tried to message to SATA Air Azores, ground force lisbon and also phone called but no one can help us. So I decided to go back to airport and finally get in the long line to groundforce staff that they just open the baggage claim for us after we were argued with staff again and we talked with the SATA Air Azores supervisor to discussed with groundforce staff just for open the baggage claim which is they are the one who lost and never return my baggage. I showed him photo of my baggage sitting in Run way and of cause I smart enough to take a photo to have my evidence proof. But again groundforce staff not listening and not even asked for my baggage photo to put in system to help the team to find and track back of my baggage. It’s been 3 days my vacation with my husband in Lisbon had nothing here we did not visit anywhere because all day we were tried to contact with airport and airline about our lost baggage.
RouteNew York to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownJune 2022

"do not get any upgrades with them"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I had to change my original flight due to a cancellation from WPB to Boston on a separate airline. At that point I called the main number to rebook for another date, They were accommodating and helpful. When we checked in our luggage they wanted to charge us for the extra that we had already paid for in advance because the attendant did no see a record of the pre-paid baggage, of course at that point we just paid for it again which cost us an additional $160…also originally we had paid for seat upgrade $60 each (2). Did not want to argue or dispute at that moment but visited the Sata agency in Ponta Delgada to tell them what happened, needless to say this was a long visit, back and forth with supervisors, needed to verify my ticket stubs and they wanted the actual baggage tickets to verify all of this. Needless to say this went on for over 1 month and they would not refund the upgrade in seats that we originally paid for and that someone else paid so Sata made out with the price of these seats, and if this happened to us most likely it has happened to many more people. They did however refund for the extra luggage that we had already paid for. Moral of the story do not get any upgrades with them and make sure you get printed receipts for everything you purchase…they are not a responsible airlines and take no responsibility for their actions! I fly with them as there are no other options in the Azores, but as soon as there are other airlines flying between islands or Boston to Azores they will loose a customer.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownMay 2022

"a very pleasant experience"

Not Verified | Trip to Azores - flights LIS-PDL and PIX-LIS booked with TAP but operated by Air Azores. In opposite to TAP, Air Azores reminded me of the "good old days". Seats well padded, enough legroom, possible to recline and even a small head rest which made it easier to take a nap. Passengers were provided with a small box containing a sandwich, made of special Azorean bread, some cookies and non alcoholic drinks for free. Our junior even got a special box with an extra chocolate in it. All in all a very pleasant experience.
AircraftA321/A320
RouteLisbon to Pico via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownMay 2022

"No refunds, just a credit"

Trip Verified | The customer service is just out of this world - so rude! I called them 3 times to make changes or just check on my options. They treat me as they are doing me a favor, what happened to a normal polite conversation? The last lady was annoyed with me as I was checking on options to cancel my flight. Do not use them unless absolutely necessary. No refunds, just a credit but can only be used for the ticket that cost the same or more. My new ticket was $100+ less and they wont do it.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgado
Date FlownJuly 2021

"the worst airline I have ever flown"

Not Verified | We have been flying to the Azores yearly for the past 20 plus years and if there was any other choice I would never fly with this company. There are so many situations that I could write a book. They run late, disorganized and in general the worst airline I have ever flown. Just this trip, they left late, took a very long time to load the plane, had us packed in the stairwell for over 15 min, not optimal with Covid, very poor meal, lost one of our bags, lost our connection and caused us to have an 8 hr layover after flying for 13 plus hours not including airport time. Only offered snacks while we waited.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownApril 2022

"Worst flight I have ever taken"

Not Verified | The plane was very hot, the flight attendants were rude and confrontational. They wouldn’t serve drinks or dinner because they said to much turbulence but there was hardly any. Finally after about 4 hours they served us a Dixie cup of water. If you got up to go to the bathroom they yelled at you to get back to your seat. Worst flight I have ever taken.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgado via Lisbon
Date FlownApril 2022

"The customer service was terrible"

Trip Verified | We booked with 2 bicycles to go to Europe. It clearly says in plain English under the bicycle section on their website that if you take a bicycle you get an additional 10kg of luggage on top of your 23kg standard. When we went to check in with our 33kg bikes all packed and secured inside a bike box with our cycling gear padded around them we were told that we must have two separate bags, one of 23kg and a different bag of 10kg. I explained to them that not only did it not mention this specific on their website, but it takes a long time to properly pack a bike box and so it is not damaged in transit. They wouldn’t budge and we had to quickly try and repack the bikes into 2x separate ones before they closed the check in. It was super stressful and the bikes were now loose and getting bumped around in the box. The customer service was terrible and if my bike arrived broken it will be 100% their fault. So dissatisfied with this airline.
RouteBoston to Lisbon
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I wouldn't recommend the airline"

Trip Verified | I wouldn't recommend the airline at all. We experienced a delay of more than 6 hours without notification and without giving regular updates. Also the airline lack basic service that you would normally find even in the low cost companies. We have booked through SATA because it has a monopoly for now of direct flight from Paris to Azores.
RouteParis to Ponta Delgada