Qantas Airways

Qantas Airways customer review

Not Verified | Melbourne to Cairns. We booked our return flights thru Qantas but the first flight was designated to fly with Jetstar. We knew we had to buy food on board the flight so brought our own but were shocked to discover we did not get any water or a cup of tea without having to pay. There was no inflight entertainment either. Considering our return flight home was with Qantas and included lunch, water, a cuppa and inflight entertainment we are annoyed that we paid the exact same price each way. Also, staff were somewhat brusque on Jetstar compared to Qantas.
RouteMelbourne to Cairns

"A terrible let down"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Tokyo. A terrible let down. 60+ minutes to check in (At Tokyo - 1x employee checking in the entire economy section). 60+ minutes to disembark the aircraft at Sydney (this was unacceptable really). I ordered GF meal, I didn't receive it. The flights were on time which is good I guess and the cabin crew were friendly. Airlines such as Virgin Australia and Qatar Airways offer a far superior service at a better price. I will not be flying Qantas again sadly.
RouteSydney to Tokyo
Date FlownJune 2019

"weakest link is the cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Singapore. Generally well-run ops, flights departed/arrived mostly on time, pretty decent catering, and fairly efficient boarding. Cabin interior and seats are a little old, and not the most user-friendly. IFE is fiddly but content offering is decent. The weakest link is the cabin crew: efficient but cold. On my SYD-SIN flight, a crew member dashed past my (upper-deck Economy) seat with the catering cart on the way to First presumably, catching and crushing my foot against the seat back and not stopping or looking back despite a very audible "OW" from me. Cabin service is not that hard.
AircraftA380-800
RouteSydney to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2019

"ranked 4 star but expected more"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Denpasar. Qantas ranked 4 star but expected more when it comes to service and especially food, beverages and entertainment choices. Travelled with my husband whom has limited mobility and the staff were helpful but when meals served very average. Entree one dish just plonked on table as also main and asking for dessert was like pulling teeth. My husband asked for a toothpick but was told Qantas dont have any. Really. After meal staff disappeared, no follow up on flight for beverages. Limited chouce of films and dont even bother for the snack prior to landing. Dry cold cornish pastry again just plonked down. Thats it. Have flown Vietnam Airlines business and they outshine Qantas. Maybe some of their staff need to reconsider their profession.
RouteSydney to Denpasar
Date FlownJune 2019

"the service is extremely poor"

Not Verified | My wife and sister flew Qantas from Sydney to Vancouver via San Francisco on 4th June. Unfortunately after collecting their bags at San Francisco and having them forwarded to Vancouver they were never to be seen again. They boarded a cruise ship on 6th June with bags and with no real plan by Qantas (Westjet) on how they might receive them. Losing your bags may be a hazard of flying but lack of service when customers are seeking help should not be. Qantas say it is not their problem and you cant contact their carrier from Australia - the phones repeatedly ring out unanswered. Joining a cruise without bags and with no assurance that you will see your bags again for the next 14 days ruins expensive holidays. Qantas may be a good airline but the service is extremely poor.
RouteSydney to Vancouver via San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2019

"experience was worse than expected"

Trip Verified | Qantas is a legacy career and known for good service and great catering. My business class experience on an evening flight was worse than expected. - Flight attendants in business looked rather uninterested and definitely lacked some sparkle or a desire - No proper headphones- just standard from Economy which is weird for a legacy career - No menus distributed - Warm and cheap sparkling wine which is called as champagne, very bad choice of red wines, no spirits offered, no pillow or blankets are distributed (only by a request) - A choice of meals is strange and not coupled with an entre or a desert: cheese plate is an option #1, the portion is not big, only cheese, nothing else is included; tomato soup is an option number 2 - a soup alone, nothing else; option number 3 is a chicken with rice, looks like a good portion but again - no entre or a dessert. When I asked for any desert going with a tea - a tiny cookie was offered - No table cloth - Seats are large and offer a bit of recline and leg stand. - I was flying with a 2-month-old child and my first request for some water was ignored as staff were busy chatting with a flight attendant from Economy class A day before I was flying Qantas in Economy and experience was much better - very motivated crew passionately servicing passengers, extremely tasty warm egg and ham sandwiches, very prompt service. I compare Qantas short domestic flight with the same 1 hour and 15 minutes Aeroflot flight on a Moscow-Saint Peterburg flight - Aeroflot business class is outclassing Qantas on everything - French premium champagne, a wide range of spirits and fine wines, noise-canceling headsets, proper beautifully decorated table service, extensive menus, each meal contains a salad or entre, a proper dessert. I am disappointed with Qantas and very surprised by a fact some Russian and Europeans airlines (not even mentioning WEmirates or Qatar service on 1-hour flights) are completely outclassing Qantas. Probably a lack of a real competition here in Australia plays a bad joke with Qantas.
RouteSydney to Brisbane

"Toilet was filthy"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Brisbane. Paid for the works only to find on both flights Auckland to Brisbane and Brisbane to Auckland that the screens were not that interactive - you repeatedly had to press the screen to get it to work - gave up in the end, headphones either didn't work or only had sound in one ear. On the trip back one choice of food - salmon salad - as none of us eat fish - too bad so we were provided a piece of pizza bread and small pack of crackers for a meal. Food, alcohol and tea/coffee all served at the same time. My son asked for a coke got a coffee? Toilet was filthy. On reporting this to a steward told they'd deal with it later after having their dinner - meanwhile everyone was walking it through the aircraft. Couldn't understand/hear the head steward on speaker. Pilot not great either - terrible landing in Auckland. Better service on China Air and Korean Air.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane
Date FlownMay 2019

"refused entry into the lounge"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Melbourne. I fly with Qantas exclusively and currently a gold member. I travel to Melbourne very regularly and the last few weeks i have been refused entry into the Qantas lounge in Melbourne when i have asked if i could please simply get a glass of water and use the toilet facility, usually on 5 minutes max. I find this very very disturbing that only a few months ago this was no problems at all at the Melbourne Qantas domestic lounge. I would like to know the real reason for this and would like to know in this day and age how can anyone refuse anyone the right to simply ask for a glass of water etc. As a loyal supporter of Qantas for over 17 years and continually being a gold member with them im wondering what their issues are with what is wrong with them and their staff. I would like to hear what others might say or if others have had the same experience or feedback because i feel what is happening is down right bad.
RouteAdelaide to Melbourne
Date FlownMay 2019

"incompetent airline that is Qantas"

Trip Verified | Hobart to Queenstown via Sydney. I’ve just had the worst flight experience with Qantas. Firstly we were delayed by half an hour on the Hobart to Sydney leg of the journey and the staff didn’t seem to care that a large proportion of passengers were catching connecting flights in Sydney. On arrival into Sydney I had 10 minutes to run from the domestic terminal to the international terminal, go through passport control and then go through security screening for a second time - why?! I literally made the Queenstown flight by the skin of my teeth but unfortunately my bag did not. On arrival into Queenstown it became apparent that’s my suitcase had been left in Sydney. This seems to have been the case with a number of other passengers on the SYD to ZQN flight! The sheer number of passengers who’s bags didn’t arrive is just sheer negligence in my view. When trying to get help in getting my bags returned, all I was told was “give us an address and your bag may turn up tomorrow” - definitely not very reassuring. And no specific time was given either - will my bag arrive in the morning? In the afternoon? In the evening? Who knows?! Props to Qantas for giving me $60NZD in compensation and a set of pyjamas and some toiletries - but it’s just not good enough. There was also a really lovely air stewardess on the Hobart to Sydney flight. The food onboard the SYD to ZQN was also ghastly - a terrible day and a terrible trip due to the incompetent airline that is Qantas.
AircraftBoeing 717-200 / 737-800
RouteHobart to Queenstown via Sydney

"competent flight attendants"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Auckland. Delayed out of Melbourne and IFE rebooted during Taxi. Despite delay arrived in Auckland on time and no further issues with IFE once departed. Good quality meal with 3 choices on a relatively short flight, the beef brisket was very tasty as was dessert. Attendant was willing to give me a couple drinks at once, full cans too as opposed to a plastic cup as I have experienced with other airlines. Extremely genuine, friendly and competent flight attendants. I've traditionally avoided Qantas in favour of airlines like Emirates, Qatar or Singapore, but was impressed with them and I will likely use them in the future. I chose Qantas this time because of baggage allowance of 30k being included where it would cost more with others on this route, good departure time from Melbourne and competitive pricing. baggage above 23k on others would have potentially incurred hundreds of dollars in fees.
AircraftA330-200