Qantas Airways

"could not fault them"

Trip Verified | Husband and I flew Bne to Heathrow via Perth to embark on a cruise. We had left 36 hours leeway after arrival in London in case any delays occurred. Bne to Perth was on time, luggage arrived with us and crew were friendly and professional. Transit time in Perth was meant to be 2.5 hours before we boarded QF9. After about 3 hours we were advised by the Captain (Morris I think) that there would be a delay of around 90 mins due to a wing maintenance problem. After about another 2 hours, he came back to all of us in person and apologised that we would not be leaving that night and Qantas were organising hotels for us. It was anticipated our flight would leave at 8pm the next night. The arrangements and service to get us all to hotels with vouchers etc was very quick and professional. Once back at the airport, another delay of 4 hours and we finally left Perth around midnight. As the window of us boarding our ship was closing very rapidly, the crew (Luke and Captain Morris) were really really helpful - there were 2 spare seats in business class and when we were about an hour from landing in London, we were able to move to those seats so that we could leave the plane quickly. This was a godsend as in the end we only made the ship by 3 hours (and our luggage was with us). Yes it was very stressful and frustrating, but the Qantas staff kept us informed at every stage. Things happen but they were very understanding of our situation. Food, cabin crew and entertainment were all excellent and could not fault them.
RouteBrisbane to Heathrow via Perth
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Would not recommend Qantas"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Delayed flight due to getting the last lot of baggage on board. Get to Auckland to find out Qantas have left behind 20 suitcases, one being mine. If they had brains they would have sent it on the next Qantas flight which was 2 hours after but no, said it will take a couple of days to get our baggage back. Now can’t start my travels, have caused me so much reorganising and have lost money because of it. Would not recommend Qantas to anybody
RouteMelbourne to Auckland
Date FlownNovember 2022

"saying I filed the claim too late"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Flew through Sydney back to Auckland in early September. The flight itself was great, but my suitcase is now a write-off. The polycarbonate shell somehow ended up split - I'm assuming the suitcase took a bit of a drop. It's a 78cm checked-in suitcase, so was around NZD 300. The resolution process was a delight - took merely 2 months to reach a claim outcome of $75. I called in at 25 days and was advised to buy a new one and that I'd be reimbursed for the cost - apparently not. I received one outcome saying I filed the claim too late, so I had to call and speak to someone for an hour before they advised me to open a new claim. Their system decided I'd taken a domestic flight - ah yes the country of Australia and NZ... Finally, after following up with a couple more hour-long calls, it seemed to be going somewhere, only to get an outcome literally less than minimum wage for the time I'd spent following this up.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane via Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Qantas has gone down the drain"

Trip Verified | Very rude staff on Sydney to New Delhi flight in March 2022. Seen staff arguing with almost 6 people in my cabin including me. Almost all of staff with mask below nose. No etiquette regarding customer service. Never again. Qantas has gone down the drain that quickly.
RouteSydney to Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"incorrectly charged for excess luggage"

Trip Verified | I was returning to Australia & was incorrectly charged for excess luggage at OR Tambo Airport - $80/kg for 8kgs, $640! I was within the Premium Economy limit of 40kgs. I was ill & emotionally distressed at the time, and didn't argue as I was told in no uncertain terms that I would not get my boarding pass unless I paid the fee, so I did. I lodged a claim with all the supporting documentation with with Qantas Customer care on 15 September & all I have to show for it is a Customer Care Reference Number & nothing else. I've emailed them almost on a weekly basis, but still had no response. I've even asked Visa to reject the charge but they don't seem to be able to do that. No wonder Qantas is making such huge profits - they extort money from vulnerable passengers & ignore you when you complain & try to get a refund.
RouteJohannesburg to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"a lot better than we anticipated"

Not Verified | We are both retired and wanted a last visit to Australia before age would make it too difficult. Booked the flight some months ahead through a travel agent and then fingers crossed spent weeks worrying about train strikes, covid, Putin before finally making the airport on Sunday 16 October. Arrived at check in about 4 hours before ETD and were at the front of the Premium Economy queue. Didn't do on line check in as we had bid for an upgrade and the fine print stated it may prejudice the bid! Anyway didn't get the upgrade but when check in opened we were through in a flash - no problems and despite being allocated seats on separate rows (all that was left) the man on check sorted to seats together albeit in the back row two in a row of three. He did this without being asked - I was impressed and very grateful. Boarding was good and the flight left on time and we had an empty seat next to us another surprise. Seat was as expected, films/tv ok, meals reasonable. The cabin crew were excellent and we managed to get up and walk about as often as we wanted. Economy looked a bit grim but that's the way it is. Didn't get a lot of sleep but leaving at midday meant that it was difficult to doze anyway - breakfast was served about 3 hours prior to arrival. Flight arrived on time and we ere through customs etc in a flash to be met by our driver and whisked off to our apartment. In summary it was good a lot better than we anticipated and enabled us to ditch the usual stopover in HK or Singapore. Surprisingly there a few recent reviews on this flight so hoped for the best and planned for the worst!
RouteLondon to Perth
Date FlownOctober 2022

"cancelled without any communication"

Not Verified | We had a return flight from Johannesburg to Sydney due to depart 21 Oct 22. The flight has been cancelled by Qantas without any communication from the airline that the flight has been cancelled and they have changed our itinerary. We booked these flights in May and received itinerary change emails for a 20min change in flight time, e-ticket confirmation in Sept that flight is still going ahead, only to find out when we try to do online check in that our flight has been cancelled and they can only help us in 5days. More than an hour spent on the phone with staff and nothing. This is the worst experience I’ve had with an airline. How do you leave your passengers stranded and just not care?! You don’t cancel a flight and not tell people that have booked and paid.
RouteJohannesburg to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2022

"staff are rude, arrogant and ignorant"

Not Verified | We had a flight from Paraburdoo to Perth due to depart at 6pm. We watched our plane land and taxi in. Surprisingly it landed 15 minutes early. That's where it all went bad. The pilot got off to inspect the plane, and must have found an issue, so they "delayed" boarding. We waited for over an hour after we were due to take off and were finally given an update that we can't board this plane with no reason given. We were told Qantas is flying up a new plane and it would arrive by just after 9pm. No surprises this was a lie. They organised external catering as the one kiosk had already closed, which was frozen sandwiches .. yes still completely frozen. We then waited with no further reasoning as to why we can't board this plane. I had to exit the airport to use any bathroom facilities. Whilst out there I was near the fence and tried to say hello to one of the original pilots. He looked at me like I was a nobody, turned his back and walked away. We finally got the new plane at 10:20pm and departed Paraburdoo 5 hours late. Not even an apology from the captain, cabin crew or any Qantas employee. We departed at 11:pm and arrived in Perth just after 12:30am. Qantas staff are rude, arrogant and ignorant, plus the airline is a shambles.
AircraftFokker 100
RouteParaburdoo to Perth
Date FlownOctober 2022

"customer service is truly deplorable"

Trip Verified | Qantas customer service is truly deplorable these days. I had a flight booked from Singapore to Australia that was 100% cancellable and refundable with no penalty to be applied. I paid extra for this privilege of having the ticket being fully refundable. I cancelled the flight online and received no confirmation email or other acknowledgement, it simply disappeared from my frequent flyer account. After waiting 3 weeks with no update and no refund, I called customer service to be told that there had been a mistake on Qantas' side meaning that the refund hadn't been processed, that they would do this manually now and that I would have to wait 8 weeks for the money to appear. 8 weeks to process a refund that is fully payable as a term of the ticket is insane and to make me wait 3 extra weeks for a total of 11 weeks because of a mistake made by Qantas boggles the mind. As a comparison, on the same day that I cancelled my Qantas flight, I cancelled a hotel booking on a booking site that was actually for a larger total sum than the Qantas flight. That money from the hotel booking site appeared as a credit on my AMEX card 72 hours later. Qantas is fast becoming a third world country airline experience with terrible customer service.
RouteSingapore to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"charged me twice for a second time"

Not Verified | Qantas charged me twice for a second time! I am sorry to say that this is not the first time but rather the second time that Qantas has charged me twice without any compensation or appearance of remorse for the difficulty it has caused me. Early this year I booked tickets to LAX return for. my sister and I for business. I was charged in excess of 3500 AUD twice. Qantas of course, after I waited an hour on the phone, said that they were not responsible and couldn't do anything. I just booked another international flight and unbelievably they charged me twice again! The issue is still to be resolved. I will in the future take every means necessary to avoid Qantas, even if it means I cannot travel direct to my destination.
RouteBrisbane to Los Angeles