Qantas Airways

"It’s been a disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | I have tried everything to contact Qantas since around January 2022 in an effort to achieve communication. Every effort is made extremely difficult, from the phone to emails to going to the airport, which was chaos. My problems were caused by in my opinion total disregard for the client. I have many opinions on the ticket purchase and credit method used by Qantas, with the current business process causing the backlog that has occurred. A simple process would be to reverse the purchase, points and cash returned. Done then on with core business, not attempting to control myriad calls. It’s been a disappointing experience.
RouteBrisbane to Darwin
Date FlownAugust 2021

"I will fly with them again, but certainly not by choice"

Trip Verified | What can I say that has not already been said by so many others. I'm glad that I didn't have to pay any of my money for this flight, it was a work trip. I know that airlines are supposed to have standards for seat pitch, but I'm pretty sure that QF are screwing us on this. Even though I'm 6'4", in the past I have flown economy and been fine. In this case, my knees were virtually up near the shoulders of the passenger in front of me. There was not even sufficient space for the meal serving. That flight lasted for only 4 hours or so, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have lasted more than another 2 hours on it. Upon arrival in Perth, that plane was to fly on to London. I truly feel pity for anybody who was taking that flight. Cabin crew were nice, food was OK but very difficult to eat given the available space in that part of the cabin. I've heard rumors that QF wants to get rid of us "plebs" (economy class) and only fly business and first class passengers in future. Pilot was the icing on the cake by thumping us down on runway 24 at Perth airport. I feel for all of the staff that has lost their jobs, but hoping that if this year is another year of loss for Qantas, the government doesn't bale them out with our tax money. Also hoping that when BONZA start operations, it makes QF pick up their game. I will fly with them again, but certainly not by choice.
RouteMelbourne to Perth
Date FlownJuly 2022

"impossible to actually use the voucher"

(Japan)

Not Verified | I was supposed to fly with Qantas in March 2020 but the flight was cancelled due to COVID. The flight was exchanged for a voucher. However, it is impossible to actually use the voucher and book my ticket. I am not allowed to book online and get a message saying I must call Qantas. But Qantas don't pick up the telephone. I've waited hours and, the one time I got through, was disconnected. I've written to their email address several time but just get a message saying that they will get back to me. My initial contact with them was on April 18th, 2022 but I still haven't heard anything back. I have also posted on their facebook page several times and get the same message that they will get back to me. Three months later it seems clear that they are not going to get back to me. I cannot visit their office since I live in Japan and there is not an office near me. I feel extremely frustrated at an airline that seems happy to take my money but is making it as difficult as possible to actually book the flight that I have already paid for. I would urge anyone considering buying a ticket with this airline to think again. In my experience, once they have their money, they have little regard for their customers.
RouteTokyo to Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2022

"quality of flying with Qantas is now so poor"

Trip Verified | I have been flying weekly again since beginning of March 2022, Sunshine Coast (MCY) to Sydney to Dubbo and return since beginning of March 2022. There have been delays and cancellations every week. The quality of flying with Qantas is now so poor. Being a Platinum member does not seem to make any difference at all anymore. They now board families before boarding business class or platinum customers. The food on the aircrafts and in the lounges is terrible. I now pack my own food to eat on the aircraft. Most flights you cant even get a cup of tea, only water and soft drinks or juice. I don't drink soft drinks or manufactured juices. You are just another number now and there is no reward for loyalty it would seem.
RouteMaroochydore to Sydney via Dubbo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"one of my luggage is missing"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My father is in critical condition in the Philippines, so I decided to book the earliest possible flight home. When I arrived in the Philippines, I found out, one of my luggage is missing. I was told to file a report, which I did. I informed the Qantas baggage staff that I need some of the things in that luggage for my dad. She assured me they'll act on it fast. I have followed up with them many times now. It's been three days, and they can't even tell me when they can deliver my luggage. They just seem not to understand the urgency of this matter. I honestly feel, they don't care at all!
RouteChristchurch to Manila via Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2022

"a low cost carrier dressed up"

Trip Verified | Another absolute disgrace. Just a low cost carrier dressed up. Very poor attitude. How about some common courtesy? Please jut let them go bankrupt, so Australia can get a real airline.
RouteMelbourne to Brisbane
Date FlownJuly 2022

"making it impossible to use the flight credit"

Trip Verified | Qantas issued me a 'flight credit' as a refund for a flight I had to cancel (I paid extra to book a ticket that permitted a refund). In theory, I am meant to be able to use this flight credit (approx $400) to purchase another Qantas flight (12 month expiry). However, they have made it literally impossible for me to actually use the flight credit. On 6 separate occasions, I have called the designated phone line and spent in total over 17 hours on hold. Each and every time I've reached someone they have said one of the following: 1) We can't process this now please call back later 2) I need to liaise with another department please call back later 3) There are no flights available (even though I provide them with an exact flight number for a flight that has seats available to be booked on their website). 4) Twice they have simply hung up after waiting for over 4 hours on hold each time 5) On my final effort, I called and they said I had a $400 flight credit. They then said I couldn't book the flight I wanted and hung up. I called back and got onto another person. They said they checked my account and I had no flight credits and that they went back to the original booking and the terms and conditions did not permit a refund. They refused any further discussion and hung up. Clearly, they are not only making it impossible to use the flight credit, but also resorting to deception and flat-out denying that I have a flight credit. They are effectively holding my money for ransom and are not providing the service.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"This is the end for us"

Trip Verified | Lost luggage containing essential items. Arrived 5 days later. Family holiday not just disrupted but ruined. Our youngest had only 3 days of contact lenses in hand luggage so 2 days of complete vision impairment. Return trip flight cancelled due to aircraft engineering issues and rescheduled to next day. Incurred significant cost for additional last minute hotel booking (lucky to get a booking) Upon our final arrival into Sydney en route to Adelaide no baggage handlers allocated. Bags took 90 min to come out so missed connecting flight. Very unhappy. Have been a loyal Qantas customer since I started flying. This is the end for us. If I could rate lower than one star I would.
RouteAdelaide to Queenstown
Date FlownJuly 2022

"abysmal customer service outcome"

Trip Verified | Our flight was delayed which in current climate is OK On arrival in Sydney we were only able to retrieve one of our two suitcases After about 30 more minutes we and several other passengers realised our luggage was lost We eventually found luggage services and after queuing filled out a form and joined the line to lodge I lodged the form and asked what happens now The woman said I would be contacted next day and our bag would be delivered I asked is that all and she said that is all they will contact you tomorrow Tomorrow comes and I hear nothing I ring the Qantas baggage services help line I first got someone with unsatisfactory English she asked for a reference number which I didn’t receive I gave her all the details including the lost baggage barcode number However after an hour on the phone I was not any further forward and asked to be put directly in touch with baggage services in Sydney The next person who answered was in Fiji and was in sales I rang again later and after another hour and telling the call centre person this time in South Africa that my wife had heart medication in bag our case was elevated from not caring to am I bothered I had gotten no further. Another call later that day another hour wasted our case now in overnight leave it to tomorrow’s person to sort out. Rang again this morning and after another hour managed to get a file number to track my case. Just checked on line and details of lost baggage are there but no feedback on any progress. In summary the call centre is a complete waste of everyone’s time They have no ability to actually impact baggage handling at the airport where baggage is lost. So far we have lost the cost of limousine we had hired. My wife had to ring doctors to get new scripts. Also it is my wife’s birthday today and all her clothing and jewellery were in lost case So it has ruined tonight’s special evening out. I cannot rate Qantas on service as they have supplied none. Outsourcing baggage handling and overseas call centres may make a better bottom line but it has resulted in an abysmal customer service outcome!
RoutePerth to Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2022

"avoid flying with Qantas"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Gold Coast via Sydney. If I could give Qantas 0 stars, I would. Please learn from my mistakes and avoid flying with Qantas - their customer service is non-existent. My original flight was due to fly from Auckland to Gold Coast via Sydney (the original flight was supposed to take a total of 4 hours 55 mins). I subsequently received a notification ~3 weeks before I was due to fly that the flight details had changed. The connecting flight from Sydney to Gold Coast had been changed so that my total travel time would now ballooned to 13+ hours with a long overnight stopover in Sydney. I decided to request a refund for my flight and the request was confirmed as received on Feb 9. As at July 7, I have yet to receive the refund. Each time I call Qantas, I have to wait for at least 30 minutes to an hour to get through to someone. Even then, they are unable to give me any good answers other than telling me they are forwarding my query to the Finance Department. I have tried contacting Qantas via email and social media but the phone calls are thus far the only way to get some semblance of a response.
RouteAuckland to Gold Coast via Sydney