Qantas Airways

"Qantas refused to offer any refund"

Trip Verified | I was unable to make my flight because of an ear infection. I was issued a flight credit good for about 6 months. My ear problem of a blocked eustachian has not cleared up, and has become a chronic health issue. My ENT wrote me a doctors note saying I could not fly. The proposed flight was Los Angeles to Sydney, about 15 hours. I called customer service and was on the phone for over an hour. The operator, who spoke poor English, keep checking with others as if he didn't know the procedure. I believe he was a sub-contractor, answering phones for Qantas from another country. Finally he said I would be charged a $250 cancel fee, which I agreed to. He said the remainder of the $7,365.00 ticket would be refunded to my credit card in about 8 weeks. After 9 weeks, I called Qantas to inquire as to the status of my refund. A different operator told me that previous operator had misinformed me. Qantas refused to offer any refund, any partial refund, or allow me to transfer the flight credit to my daughter who lives in Australia.
AircraftB789
RouteLos Angeles to Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I want them to give me my money back"

Trip Verified | Qantas online booking charge me 3 times my air fares. I've try to call Qantas to get my money back without any success. First call they could not find their own booking reference, put me on hold, after 35min waiting in the queue, then communication finished without warning after 20more minute on hold. 2nd call, 30min waiting time, hang up as soon as I've been connected to an operator. 3rd call, 30min waiting time, then get in touch with an operator who still can't find the booking reference, then tell me that I've to process a claim on line. I explain he that I'm not claiming any thing, I want them to give me my money back. She told me again with any more information, webpage, phone number or else where to make the claim. I've repeat that they are the one at fault so they should look into it, I'm not paid to solve their mistake. I've ask her to connect me to her manager or the competent department, she ask me to go the the website, without no further explanation, I've told her no, I want to speak to a manager, she said ok, and put me on hold during 40more minute. She put me on hold 4 or 5 time each time the queue was bringing back. At the end the call was terminated with the usual satisfaction question. Obviously the operator was looking at wasting time because I insisting in talking to a person.
RouteBrisbane to Townsville
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I never want to fly this airline again"

Not Verified | Seats are incredibly uncomfortable and not built for anyone over 5’9. My husband and I experienced the most miserable flight cancellation. We had just gotten off a red eye flight from Bali to connect to get to NZ and the plane’s engine starter motor failed. Do they not check these things during regular maintenance? We were stuck on the aircraft for not only engine failure but, to begin with, their flight attendant was late by over half an hour. Sat on the plane for over an hour just to revised and get told we had to take the next red eye flight. Two red eye flights in 24 hours. Sat in the airport for 14 hours when about 75% of the flight was able to get earlier scheduled flights out of Australia. I never want to fly this airline again. An entire day wasted because someone didn’t do their job and we were forced to sleep in the airport. Meal vouchers weren’t enough for this. I’m grateful my husband has airport lounge access otherwise I’m not sure how so would have survived waiting this long to get to our destination.
RouteMelbourne to Auckland
Date FlownNovember 2022

"team who went above and beyond"

Trip Verified | I upgraded to Business for my trip back from Darwin to Adelaide on QF1959. From the moment I entered the plane to the moment I departed in Adelaide I was treated by your team as if I was the only one on the plane. I would like to say thanks to your team who went above and beyond. The care and service in particular from one of your employees Flight Manager Jennifer was amazing, and after seeing her actions in transit with the team and the customers made it clear that you have a special "diamond" within your team. As the service industry has perhaps dropped the ball in these times, with people like Jennifer and the team it was the opposite. Please pass on my thanks personally for the service provided. Many Thanks.
RouteDarwin to Adelaide

"The flight was good"

Trip Verified | This flight was a continuation on14 November from International flight Venice Dubai Brisbane. Booked through Emirates and boarding passes issued in Venice all the way to Townsville. Flight a bit delayed received allocated requested aisle seat and fortunate middle seat empty. Snack offered on this short flight. Passengers handed out cheese and Crackers. I asked if any Gluten Free options. The cabin member offered a choice of sweet or savoury gluten free snack as i didn't mind given packet of Rice Crackers and then asked if I'd like an apple as well. The flight was good. Landed safely and Luggage quick of conveyer. Everything went smoothly from Venice to Townsville via Dubai and Brisbane.
Aircraft?
RouteBrisbane to Townsville

"food choice was great"

Not Verified | The experience on this flight was flawless (even though there was a 40 minute delay in boarding). The aircraft was in good condition and clean, the flight attendants were excellent and the food choice was great for lunch and supper. The Qantas wine choice was good. However given the increase in the popularity in Rosé, I think it's about time it was included in the mix.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHonolulu to Sydney

"Service was excellent"

Trip Verified | Qantas has had a lot of negative reporting lately, but here is a headline you will NEVER see. "Visiting couple make 7 separate flights over 3 weeks and each flight was on time and all their luggage made it safe and sound." Yes, we flew Sydney-Canberra-Darwin-Cairns-Brisbane-Port Macquarie and couldn't have been more satisfied. (the Darwin-Cairns was vis Brisbane). Each leg - even the first one - we got some sort of refreshment, snack or light hot meal. Service was excellent, ground staff did their job and our visit was awesome. We must have booked before the price hikes as each of us paid just under $1200 Australian so it was quite a bargain I feel. So just keep in mind that things are basically fine, bad things can happen but keep it in context
RouteCairns to Brisbane

"Very grumpy and snarly"

Not Verified | Flying Business Class with wife. Seats 3A and C. On embarking, not one vacant spot in the entire Business Class compartment for our 2 pieces of carry-on regulation-size luggage. Left both pieces in the aisle. Flight attendant got annoyed when I requested that the allocated luggage compartments for the allocated seats be vacated so that our 2 pieces could be stored. Very grumpy and snarly. One economy class passenger then removed 1 item and ours were stored somewhere back in the middle of economy. I then asked the flight attendant if one could store one’s luggage randomly in any allocated Business Class overhead locker and he said “Yes” but I doubt if that is correct. The attendant had to carry the overheads towards the back of the plane, this would be an issue if someone less strong had to attempt this.
RouteSydney to Brisbane
Date FlownNovember 2022

"nothing good to say about them"

Trip Verified | Luggage lost on the way to Japan, pathetic meals, cancelled flight and moved as to another one. Cancelled the extra weight we bought without telling us, major delays on our flight home just pathetic. Do not fly with Qantas, nothing good to say about them.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownNovember 2022

"a shadow of its former self"

Not Verified | An odd flight with a litany of big and small issues. Small inconsistencies: Arrangement of the queues at boarding resulted in Premium Economy passengers boarding before most business class passengers. Window dimmers for the entire business class cabin stopped working twice during the flight resulting in daylight flooding into the dark cabin. Frozen butter and cold bread served with meals. Not sure how people spread the rock solid butter? Flight number displayed on the entertainment system was incorrect. I know this is pedantic but it’s unusual for an airline to get it wrong on their systems. Bigger problems: One crew member was very aggressive. I requested an amenity kit so that I could change my socks and the response I got was a very curt “we will get to that.” Most of the crew no longer even try and call you by your name, instead I was referred to as 8K - my seat number. Aside from Ian and Lisa there was zero proactive engagement with customers. Basically an economy class service level i.e. after the meal service the staff disappear to rest. Ian worked tirelessly all night and he reminded me of the old Qantas business class service where the crew would remembered small details and would actually bring you something that you requested. He and Lisa were genuinely friendly and warm. The rest of the crew I interacted with were passive aggressive and just tolerated having to interact with actual passengers. Qantas international business is becoming a shadow of its former self. The hard product is good but it is lacking in all the soft touches that used to make it enjoyable.
RouteSantiago to Sydney