Qantas Airways

"Not that good an experience"

Not Verified | Singapore to Sydney. Not that good an experience. Had initially booked on Emirates via Brisbane but the flight got rescheduled and hence called and rebooked the flight. The phone customer service was excellent and I was rebooked on a direct Qantas flight. At Changi, the queues were extremely long and even though we arrived well in time we almost missed our flight and our bags were left at Changi. Aboard the flight, the service was above average but nothing special and the flight arrived and departed on time so no complaints there. Qantas is a good choice for travelling between Australia and Singapore but I would recommend booking Emirates or Singapore if it works out for you and budget isn't an issue. Paid 500 one way which is reasonable as it was the peak holiday season.
AircraftA380-800
RouteSingapore to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"ridiculous amount for excess bags"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Wellington via Sydney. We decided to make the move to New Zealand from South Africa. We flew business class via Sydney and really thought our trip will be without any problems. We paid a lot of money and knew from the beginning we will have to pay in due to our excess baggage. The problem that I have with Qantas is that they did not offer any migration ticket for business class travelers. Got to the check in counter and started the process to check our bags in, what a eye opener. They charged us more then half of what our ticket cost for our extra bags. I flew with Emirates before to New Zealand and have not payed that amount for excess bags. That was a ridiculous amount to pay for the excess bags. The lady did give me the offer to book our bags online and then we will pay cheaper, why don't we have that option at the counter and only online? You would though as a business class traveler you would get some benefits for the amount that you are paying. Booking our bags online did safe us a small amount, but not by that much. Really think Qantas is ripping the customers off with what they are charging and no immigration tickets for business class passengers!!
RouteJohannesburg to Wellington via Sydney
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Pretentious staff and airline"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Broome. Pretentious staff and airline. I was waiting in line to board, upon being told that beverages can’t be taken into the tarmac, I turned to ask the question, can I finish the drink? But before I could finish the question, their staff snatch the drinks from my partner and I. No chance given to submit the drinks willingly. I felt offended and belittled, so I wrote to the customer care, and I was fronted with lies and a ‘I couldn’t care less’ attitude from their executive relations office. I proposed questions that they refused to answer, and gave some pathetic excuse that they’re closing the complaint. The pathetic answer? They refused to put into writing. They continue to say that an intrusion of personal space and theft is appropriate behaviour for their staff. They can’t get anything right; bags being shipped to different cities to where their passengers were. Can’t take off on time and other basic operations they cannot get right. They have left me stranded in a foreign country because the easiest task of checking clients tickets (technically ‘PNR’s’) was not done. Next time try ‘I’ ‘R’ ‘Enter’, not that hard. When I called customer care to try find a way home, you should have heard the lies they said to denounce blame. They charge premium pricing, because of a heightened self perception of significance, if you ask why their prices are significantly more expensive, they won’t be able to give you a legitimate reason. If you read the T&C’s of their tickets, they only promise to get you from A to B, the lack of quality service and recognition that their clients are human beings is not actually mentioned.
RouteSydney to Broome
Date FlownJuly 2019

"What a joke airline"

Not Verified | Disgrace. Still has not improved, delays in Melbourne understandable due to weather, but no confidence is given when there are further delays in Sydney. 12.10 became we will let you know shortly. At about 1.50pm notified us 2.45 take off due to engineering issues. Started boarding 40 passengers and then came an anouncement that captain has asked to wait. Such a debacle. How about this Qantas, provide reliable planes that stop breaking! (2nd time that I experienced this in 2 weeks), provide a clear explanation, provide some refreshments. And inform your staff what is going on! What a joke airline.
RouteMelbourne to Beijing via Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"the service was atrocious"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Brisbane. My husband and I purchased business class tickets so that we could have adequate legroom, be able to sleep, receive good service and have decent food. The customer service on the flight from Japan, however, was basically non-existent. After boarding we were essentially ignored and not offered the usual welcoming drink. Then, the first thing the crew did after take-off was to ask whether we wanted the bed made-up, this was before the food was served! The most insulting part was dinner. The salad put in-front of me was premixed with the dressing and too acidic for me to eat. Other airlines provide the dressing separately so that it can be added to taste. The bread offered was not warmed, as it is on many airlines, and we were not asked if we required any more. The main course of rice with a watery minced beef on top, but as it was delivered on a small plate the dish was a soggy mess. The food not only looked disgusting, but being soggy, was inedible. The crew, however, did not bother to ask why I did not eat the food, or offer an alternative, they simply eventually picked it up and said nothing. Although I was able to eat the dessert, it was not presented with any courtesy. Breakfast was also interesting, as I ordered cereal, yogurt, milk and a black tea. I was given a small bowl of cereal, but with the yogurt and milk mixed - not with the yogurt separate. Interestingly, when I requested milk for the tea, the crew member was surprised! I cannot understand why Qantas serves food to its customers in such a way, where all ingredients of the one dish are mixed on the same plate! Basically the crew could not be bothered and the service was atrocious. This is not the first time I have travelled business class with Qantas, but this flight was by far the worse in terms of both food and cabin service. At this stage I will not travel Qantas again, especially business class, which costs more than on any other airline.
AircraftA330-300
RouteTokyo to Brisbane

"attendants were courteous"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Cairns. I was able to use the domestic business lounge owing to One World emerald status, and the lounge had a variety of food and fresh juice despite it was a domestic lounge. Aircraft was clean, and attendants were courteous. The flight was on time.
RouteSydney to Cairns

"Horrendous customer service"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Melbourne. Horrendous customer service - our flight was delayed that night and they kept us on the plane for nearly five hours with no food or water. At one point they turned the air conditioner off, and we were in the middle of summer. They eventually let us off the plane as the airport was closed. The chief air steward told us that Qantas would not be finding us accommodation due to the G20 Summit in Osaka, 600km away in another prefecture. We were abandoned at the airport as the staff had their accommodation sorted. It's been nearly two months since my flight and Qantas will still not reimburse me for my out of pocket expenses the night of the flight. They have changed their mind on what their cancellation policy is and how much I'm entitled to be reimbursed. I am also left to question whether this airline is racist as Caucasian passengers on that flight have been reimbursed for more than what I am claiming, yet Qantas is still making me send them copies of my receipts.
RouteTokyo to Melbourne
Date FlownJune 2019

"the Qantas app and free wifi"

Not Verified | We booked our Brisbane to Sydney return flight with Qantas Frequent flyer points. I had my own wheelchair with me which they checked in for free and provided one of the Qantas wheelchairs which was fine. Got to board first (which unfortunately means you un board last because you have to wait for help) a Qantas wheelchair was waiting for me on arrival into Sydney. The plane from Brisbane to Sydney had inflight entertainment on the back of the seat and free wifi plus you could use the Qantas entertainment app on your device. Many options. We were on a early morning flight so got served breakfast, only a small meal but it’s only an hour and a half flight so it’s fine. Was asked if I wanted a pillow and blanket when I boarded which was helpful. Flight back was the same except no entertainment on the back of the seat but there was the Qantas app and free wifi (their wifi is 10/10) was a night time flight so got served a hot meal and a drink, I picked the wine. Both flights we had to sit on the tarmac for 45 mins but wasn’t that bad.
RouteBrisbane to Sydney

"step up your game"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Melbourne. Traveller on QF158 on the 18 August- unfortunately the flight experienced engineering issues and had to be cancelled. This is understandable. Nonetheless, the following organization for hotels/ bus/ information regarding postponed flight and tickets, luggage pick up etc was very poorly executed. The staff should be trained better to organize and provide more detailed information regarding this. Most people were left confused, asking each other what was going on/ what we had to do. The flight was postponed to the following day at 7am. I would have expected given the previous days events, for utmost care to ensure there were minimal delays and that things would operate in a clockwork manner. This was not the case. The flight was delayed again, arrival was approximately an hour delayed. Qantas, you need to ‘step up your game’.
RouteAuckland to Melbourne
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I cannot fault the service"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Melbourne. I cannot fault the service my partner and I received. Cabin crew were amazing, friendly and fully professional. Food was hot and flavoursome. Will definitely fly with Qantas again. Thank you for a lovely flight home, after us travelling 30 hours with other airlines that day, it was a truly pleasant surprise and experience.
RouteSingapore to Melbourne