Porter Airlines

"customer service is non-existent"

Trip Verified | Newark to Toronto. The booking page repeatedly showed that my booking for an urgent flight was unsuccessful after several attempts. However, they charged my card without any acknowledgement nor confirmation. I was only able to find out the charge 4 days later and they refused to refund me for errors caused by their system glitch. Call centre is useless and customer service is non-existent - they’d do nothing but read off their scripted procedure.
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownNovember 2019

"will never use this airline again"

Not Verified | Since I never received a Boarding Pass due to no one being at the counter to fly back to Montreal, it can not be a verified review unless I use the one on 8 November, 2019 which had the same issues except I didn't miss my flight. You see Porter Airlines on has someone at the counter for 1 hr prior to the flight and that is the only way you can receive your boarding pass, which is a ridiculous practice and I can not imagine that this policy serves them well. On November 10, 2019 I arrived at Dulles Airport 55 minutes prior to my departure time due to a traffic incident. I go to the counter to find it empty and no one to give me a boarding pass, I called their customer service no. to be received by a very rude person stating that I should have been there one hour ahead of my flight, which I would have if not stuck on the 95 in Washington DC, I was 5 minutes short. You can not use a kiosk to get your boarding pass and you can not get a mobile boarding pass. I had to buy another flight on another airline in a different airport to get back home. In Montreal I was 2 hrs early for my flight and again no one was at the counter, and even though I was early I had to stand there waiting for someone to come to work at Porter to get a boarding pass, so instead of getting through security and customs a bit early I was rushed and running to my gate. I will never use this airline again.
RouteWashington DC to Montreal
Date FlownNovember 2019

"I haven’t received anything"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Boston via Toronto in August 2019. There was a delay from Montréal so we missed the flight to Boston because we had a stop in Toronto. As soon as we arrived to Toronto they were professional and suggested a hotel room in order to take the flight the day after, but we have to pay the taxi and we will be refunded. I did so and I sent them all the bills. I’m still waiting, I haven’t received anything and their response in the email is always the same : we are sorry.
RouteMontreal to Boston via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2019

"personable and relatable"

Not Verified | Toronto to Montreal. I have a hearing disability and after a miscommunication and missed flight (which happens often for me, no fault of anyone's) the extent that the staff went to after understanding my hearing disability was incredible. An agent collected me from the restaurant and brought me to the boarding gate, was personable and relatable, most importantly authentic. I truly felt appreciated. Even as I was sat in my seat I was offered water, Jessica and Bianca (I believe) treated me like I mattered and I have never found that elsewhere. I'm so grateful to get home later than I hoped but have this experience in exchange. Customer service that other airlines simply don't have.
RouteToronto to Montreal

"Air Canada from now on"

Not Verified | Timmins to Ottawa via Toronto. Having flown a week before with Porter under the basic airfare, I assumed the same bag containing the same things would be acceptable for my return flight. I was told when checking in that I would need to pay an extra 50$ for my bag as it was over the capacity for a personal item. I explained the situation and was told I would have to pay the 50$ to take my bag as they must not have checked my bag thoroughly enough leaving Ottawa. It's important to note I have been flying with Porter for over 3 years, flying approximately 10 times a year, with the same bag and this has been the first time it has been an issue. Luckily Air Canada still offers a personal item and a carry on for a cheaper rate. As such I will be flying Air Canada from now on.
RouteTimmins to Ottawa via Toronto

"very rude ground staff"

Not Verified | Halifax to Toronto via Montreal. Brutal baggage fees on this airline and very rude ground staff. Charged me $51 dollars for a small backpack that fit no problem in the overhead bin. I don’t pay that much to check a bag to go to Europe. Thank goodness there is a choice as I will never fly this airline again. They simply don’t care about their customers which seems like a bizarre way to run a business.
RouteHalifax to Toronto via Montreal

"Lovely flight"

Trip Verified | Newark to Toronto. Lovely flight, friendly flight attendants. I particularly like the leather seats and cabin ambience. The free beer and snacks were unexpected. I have to say, after completing a ‘red-eye’ from Oregon earlier that morning I was pleasantly surprised. Thank you, Porter.
AircraftQ400
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2019

"charged us 50$ for one bag"

Trip Verified | Windsor to Toronto. Terrible customer service. Worst experience. They charged us 50$ for one bag because we couldn’t fit it into our other bags.
RouteWindsor to Toronto

"1h 15m for my luggage"

Trip Verified | Halifax to Montreal. Waited 1 hour and 15 minutes for my luggage. The porter representatives told me they wait for all their flights to come in before realeasing the checked in luggage. Spoke to a representative on their Facebook chat and they seem to not care about their service and did not respond not even a sorry for the inconvenience. Not normal to see the Air Canada flight come in 30 minutes after I landed and they got their luggage within 10 minutes! I will never fly this airline again never! For the same price I’ll book AC next time for my upcoming trips!
AircraftDHC8 Dash 8-400
RouteHalifax to Montreal
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"want to acknowledge the fantastic care we received"

Not Verified | Flew Ottawa to Halifax. My wife and I want to acknowledge the fantastic care we received from an employee of Porter Airlines, who helped us so much at a very difficult moment at the airport in Halifax. The other agents also took great care to change our tickets that could suit my medical condition after I suffered from an unbearable migraine while landing onto Halifax airport. Thank you.
RouteOttawa to Halifax