Iberia

"lack of communication"

Trip Verified | After boarding and taxying at Quito we were stuck for two hours before the pilot said we had an engine failure and had to disembark. They then proceeded to make us go through immigration and wait another two hours for luggage. We had to wait for two hours for information on which hotel we were at and another two hours for a bus. No information on when our flight was and if it was even going to leave for nearly 20 hours. Finally we heard from hotel reception that our flight was scheduled for 10 pm at night (29 hours late). We boarded a bus to the airport. The flight was not live on the airport’s departures. When at the airport the check-in for business took 1 hour as the check-in was severely understaffed. The check-in put the wrong date so we were delayed 30 minutes at immigration while they confirmed the flight even existed. After taking off at 11:30 pm late, the pilot had the audacity to say “we were extremely lucky to be on this flight and that we should thank the technical staff” as we would have had to stay three extra days in Quito had it not been for them as other flights were full”,, merely stating “thank you for your patience”. The lack of communication by the airline was nothing short of abysmal. They lost our luggage on the way to Quito and we had to wait for four days to receive them in the Galapagos one hour before our boat left for 8 days.
RouteQuito to London via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2022

"atrocious customer service"

Not Verified | This airline has atrocious customer service. Their representatives confidently tell you incorrect information. We called weeks prior to our flight to change from our planned Porto -> Madrid-> Washington to Madrid -> Washington and the customer service person said no problem just get on in Madrid. We asked are you sure because it wasn’t coming through with a cancellation of Porto to Madrid they said no it’s fine, it obviously was not. Today we came to the airport in Madrid and they put us on standby because we were not on the flight from Porto and now stuck waiting in endless lines to just get help in Madrid to go home.
RouteMadrid to Washington DC
Date FlownAugust 2022

"shortage of cabin space for suitcases"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Boarding the plane was slow compared to other airlines I have flown with. Once inside the aircraft, it obviously became very, very hot since it's summer and packed with passengers, but the ac unit blew very soft wind, so soft that it was barely enough to cooldown. There was a shortage of cabin space for suitcases and bags in so my nephew was forced to had put his suitcase in the cabin space 20 seats in front of him? The staff didn't even politely ask him or even apologize for the inconvenience. It's either this or you can leave your luggage behind, that's how it felt like. The seats were very small and were also kind of hard. Luckily the flight was just three hours.
RouteTenerife to Brussels via Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2022

"arrived at the airport 2 hours before boarding"

Trip Verified | Worst airline experience I have had. We arrived at the airport 2 hours before boarding time. Check in took over 2 hours to get to the attendant, and they would not let us through or help in any way even though the flight hadn’t yet closed the gates. She would not help us get another flight. The manager was extremely rude and told us nothing would be done. Customer service was not helpful and we lost all of our money. There is no Iberia help desk in Paris. I have never been treated so disrespectfully. Never again.
RouteParis to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2022

"not credit any more miles with partner airlines"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | I have just realised that Iberia will not credit any more miles with partner airlines, or at least not with the AAdvantage program of American Airlines, In the last 3 or 4 flights that I have done with Iberia, the only way I got my miles credited was by requesting the missing miles through AAdvantage, because Iberia never credits them by itself (in contrast with Qatar or British Airways which credit them in a matter of days). Finally, after requesting missing miles once again, AAdvantage sent me a mail denying my request on grounds of "Airline unable to validate". This is despite that I sent the boarding pass issued by Iberia and that my AAdvantage number is printed on the boarding pass itself. It really is disappointing. I believe this is becoming a generalized policy, given the rough times that airlines have gone through since the pandemic.
RouteMadrid to Hamburg
Date FlownMay 2022

"do not fly Iberia"

Not Verified | Madrid to Paris. Booked flight to Europe with American Airlines using miles, they made us use Iberia. I never heard of them before this trip. They lost my luggage and my wife's. Mine somehow made it the connection in Madrid. Hers was still at DFW after take off. I had air tags in each to track the luggage in case they were lost. I had to call the airline everyday to tell them where it was. They were clueless. Absolutely do not fly Iberia, ever. All the bad reviews are true. The customer service agents tell you lies and hang up on you on every call.
RouteMadrid to Paris
Date FlownJuly 2022

"good experience with this airline"

(Dominican Republic)

Trip Verified | My latest return trip from Santo Domingo to London via Madrid with Iberia in Row 4 was another good experience with this airline. The business class seats are very comfortable with rows 2 and 4 offering seats next to the window. A mattress of reasonable quality, a good size pillow and a blanket are offered with decent headphones and easy to manage controls for the seat and screen. The food is nothing special but it is not bad but the wines are all from Spain and lack a little delicacy. The crew have always been very efficient but never particularly friendly. Lavatories need cleaning a bit more during the flight, Best of all is the simple transit in Terminal 4S, I have never taken longer than 15 minutes from the arrival gate, through security and to the departure gate .. much longer if you do not continue with planes flying out of other terminals. Never a problem with baggage and my arrival at Heathrow terminal 5 was a good experience with the new scanners in place. Out in about 20 minutes. I am definitely an Iberia fan and a fan on Madrid airport.
AircraftA330 300
RouteSanto Domingo to London via Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I find it very annoying being forced to check my carry on luggage"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I find it very annoying spending substantial amounts of money and then being forced, both ways (round trip flight), to check my carry on luggage because of a lack of space on the aircraft. On the outbound, I did not complain as I thought this was an exceptional circumstance. When the same situation presented again on the return flight, I turned upset and I asked how possibly space for carry on luggage are not granted for each passenger, especially considering no mention of this situation is detectable anywhere at the moment of the flight reservation. The response I received was unbelievable: for short and medium distance routes (like mine) Iberia uses probably older aircrafts where space of the above head lockers is calculated as: 1 carry on every 3 seats, I therefore wonder: is it normal or professional avoiding to mention this to the customer at the time of reservation, in light of the fact we are talking about the official air Company of Spain whose tickets are substantially expensive? Wouldn’t be better adapting the aircraft and its space to the current customer needs?
RouteMilan Linate to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2022

"The airline has lost our bags"

Trip Verified | The airline has lost our bags on the start of a 4 week trip. We were given phone numbers for Havana where no one picks up, twitter response was sarcastic and implied we double check we flew with Iberia, we tried whatsapp and that apparently doesn't deal with baggage issues. The website says our bags can't be found and we tried the UK number with no information available and to be told that our contact details were not even attached to our ticket profile or claim (despite being an Iberia member and long time One World member so details are on everything). Understand that issues happen so not annoyed about that but the appalling customer service and total lack of information is infuriating.
RouteLondon to Havana via Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2022

"come to the airport and hunt them down"

Trip Verified | There are no actual live people to take care of any issue. We went in person to the airport to claim our property and no one available. They have a third party company for their check in and even they don’t know any Iberia managers or employees. We apparently have to come to the airport and hunt them down maybe around 3 to 4 to get back our luggage. Unheard of to actually be able to contact someone on the phone. Please stay clear of Iberia.
RouteMadrid to Miami