Iberia

"the boarding was a mess"

Trip Verified | Madrid to New York JFK. The Information counter in Madrid Airport was a joke. Four personnel standing there doing nothing. When I approached the desk to ask a question about my 3 hr delayed flight they told me to go take a number [even though no one else was in line.] After I got the number they let me come to the desk. The person that was supposed to help me seemed to be annoyed at me being there. She was definitely in the wrong occupation. Then the boarding was a mess at the gate. The boarding pass said Group 1, 2, or 3. The lines had A, B, or C on the floor, and it was hard to tell were the lines even were. Other fliers were helping out each other. There should have been an airline person helping people get into the lines. I'm not a fan of this herd boarding but this was unbelievable - especially after everyone waited 3 hrs for Iberia to fix the plane problem. To finish it off, the food was some of the worst I've ever had. The cold sandwich was just ok, the warm food - awful.
RouteMadrid to New York JFK

"was a vast improvement"

Trip Verified | I am very happy to report that my return trip from Santo Domingo to London this time was a vast improvement on my last two trips. I traveled with one suitcase and my golf clubs and this time the Iberia staff at Santo Domingo could not have been more helpful and the two items were transferred to a BA flight from Madrid to London and back again without a hitch . All because of a desperately needed change of staff on the ground. The longish flight from SD to Madrid went well with my seat 2K a most comfortable bed and the staff and the food and the entertainment all very acceptable. It really does prove that airline staff are a most important asset that can make or break.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSanto Domingo to Madrid

"worst customer service"

Not Verified | Casablanca to Venice via Madrid. Very nice crew from Casablanca to Madrid. Average crew from Madrid to Venice. Madrid is not very connecting passengers friendly. Airline lost bags, both flights on time, luggage in Madrid. Took them two full days do deliver! For information about their faulty work you need to call a premium priced number! Most links on the website for information and filing complaints not working (on purpose I presume). Staff at premium telephone customer support service provides non working telephone numbers. One of the worst customer service experiences ever....and I fly a lot!
AircraftC900 / A320
RouteCasablanca to Venice via Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2018

"she would not give me cream"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Miami. Very bad service. Attitude poor. I had ordered a vegetarian meal with allowed milk products. First of all the air hostess did not even stop to ask me if I wanted coffee. I had to turn back back and ask for it. Then she would not give me cream because she said I had asked for a vegetarian meal. Then for the second meal they had salad, fruit, butter and jam. No one asked me if I wanted a roll. I noticed the mid portion of the plane was hot as I walked back to the toilets a few times.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMadrid to Miami
Date FlownOctober 2018

"new, clean and spacious enough"

(Finland)

Not Verified | I had not been flying with Iberia for a while and was therefore impressed by their current standard of operation. In Sao Paulo, an Iberia gate representative was able to give me two boarding passes for my remaining two Finnair connections, which LATAM had failed to do despite being in the same alliance. I was also privileged to enter in priority group 1, as a OneWorld Ruby passenger. We left Sao Paulo 15 minutes early and arrived in Madrid 35 minutes before the scheduled arrival time. The 10 hour flight was comfortable. The Airbus was new, clean and spacious enough. Even in the economy class, the service was impeccable and food & drinks both tasty and plentiful. Keen to avoid substandard food ingredients, such as hydrogenated fats, palm oil and glucose-fructose syrup, I was happy to be able to eat almost everything, with one exception (a palm oil chocolate bar). In Madrid, they helped with Finnair gate information, which was not available on monitors, unlike the other departures. Well done Iberia, well above the average OneWorld standard! We will surely see in the future.
RouteSão Paulo to Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"hardly any friendly behaviour"

Trip Verified | Iberia was delayed at Quito due to random police controls. Didn't matter to us though since the connecting flight was only leaving more than 4 hours after landing. Others might have had a worse experience with that. Personally, I think the staff were very unfriendly and harsh sometimes. They didn't seem to be right in the position of working and interacting with people. No smiles, hardly any friendly behavior, some of them even were annoyed by us asking for water on a 18 hour journey. Also on short flights they cut down any food and beverages which meant we didn't get any water or coffee or anything for free on a 4.5 hour flight from Madrid to Frankfurt. We could have bought some really expensive beverages though. Haven't experienced that with any other airline so far.
RouteQuito to Frankfurt via Madrid

"Kudos to the staff"

Not Verified | Madrid to Barcelona. Our luggage was lost in the confusion of a delayed flight and missing our connection to Canada. Iberia staff at the Customer Service Desk and Lost Baggage Desk in Barcelona were extremely helpful. They got us on a flight the next day and rerouted our luggage to the hotel when they tracked it down. They made a very tense travel situation disappear. Kudos to the staff from some very appreciative travelers.
RouteMadrid to Barcelona

"Avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | Pamplona to Dublin via Madrid. The worst airline I’ve flown. Missed my connection in Madrid due to them changing the time of the flight from Pamplona. Then they flew me to Marseille (supposedly en route to Dublin) where another delayed flight meant I was stranded in Marseille. Not a single staff member available in Marseille to help. Ended up having to organize my own way back to Dublin from Marseille which they then refused to refund. Avoid at all costs
RoutePamplona to Dublin via Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2018

"delayed, miss connection and lost bag"

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from New York to Madrid via Barcelona. Connecting flight was canceled and wasn't put on another one for 8 hours later with no compensation. Return flight was delayed, miss connection and lost bag. Spend the extra money and book through another airline - I ended up losing more money with this "cheaper" flight. When I contacted customer service, they hung up on me and then emailed me and said we have no proof any of these incidents happened. Every single person that I interacted with that works for this airline were extremely rude.
RouteNew York to Madrid via Barcelona
Date FlownAugust 2018

"confirmed that it was free to cancel"

Trip Verified | We booked a flight from Milan to San José via Madrid for October 2018. We changed our mind and wanted to stay a few days more in Madrid on the way back to visit the city. I called Iberia to know if cancelling the last leg would be free. They confirmed that it was free to cancel the last leg without any issue. Therefore, I booked a flight a few days later from Madrid, for myself and my wife. We also booked hotels, etc. When I called to cancel the last leg, they told I will have to spend €600 for that. I tried to explained that I had the confirmation it is free, but they did not care.
RouteMilan to San José via Madrid