Iberia

"no in flight entertainment"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Dakar. After an Iberia express flight to Madrid (I was on business class but it is no worth for this kind of flight), I went to International Iberia lounge in Madrid T4S. The lounge is quite new, wide and there is everything you need for food & drinks. I had a long stopover but I manage to work well. Really this lounge is good and convenient (basically Iberia Terminal at Madrid Bajaras is very good) The flight was less good. The cabin was old fashioned with very depressive lights and the engines were very loud. The business cabin arrangement is 2x3 seats with the one in the middle empty. These were standards seats that can only by angled and there were very uncomfortable (thickness like 10 cm) and very sensitive to the movement of other passengers or crew walking in the aisle. Flight was 4hrs 40 mins and there was a quite good dinner served. Then 1 coffee, tea and then over. Crew disappeared behind the curtains. There was no in flight entertainment system (no Ipad etc). This flight is too long for short haul carrier like A321 with low business class service.
RouteMadrid to Dakar
Date FlownDecember 2018

"cannot find fault with Iberia"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Buenos Aires to Madrid. Once again, cannot find fault with Iberia. Very fast check-in and boarding, excellent cabin crew available throughout the 12+hour flight. Plenty of newspapers and magazines offered plus welcome drink before take off. Ample drink selection and hot tasty meal and good spanish wines to choose from. IFE good, but movie choice could be more up to date. Smooth flight, hot breakfast before landing and sailed through immigration etc.
RouteBuenos Aires to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2018

"they swap my second surname"

Not Verified | On the English Website, when you do a booking ask you to fill the Name, Surname/Last name, and second Surname. when I did my booking, they swap my second surname to my last name and now they want to charge £30 per person to change to the right one because in Spain is the way it is when I used the English version. I called twice, and the customer service was just ridiculous,super unhelpful. They understood the mistake is their mistake, but they want to charge me £30 per head to change when I did everything correctly.
RouteLondon to Bogota via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Very nice experience"

Trip Verified | Lima to Madrid. Very nice experience. The flight was on time. The cabin about 90% full, the at the check-in counter I was asked if I want to change to a row without any other pax - very nice. Modern cabin with good IFE. Seat is semi tilting, semi forward sliding but leg space never a problem. Toilets could have been more clean towards the end. Also one did not have soap the entire flight. Food was okay for an 11 hour flight: a warm "classic" meal with salad, warm main, desert, bread; plus a sandwich with sweet crackers later which could have been more. KSML and others available and treated accordingly. They did many drink runs. During the flights they offered one of the strangest sandwiches in the galley: soft white bread with grated carrots. FAs were all very kind, I asked for a second main which was granted and I even got some small snacks for my pretty long layover. Luggage was checked through without any problem despite competing airline.
RouteLima to Madrid

"you may get delays"

(Puerto Rico)

Not Verified | Miami to Madrid return. The flight to Madrid from Miami was ok, even though the flight attendants were not in much of the mood. The food wasn't the best. The flight in return got delayed because of strong headwinds and the flight had to be rerouted from 8:30 hours to 10 hours. I had an interconnecting flight to catch at 9:35 PM in Miami, and the flight was scheduled to arrive at 8PM, leaving just enough time to pass through immigration and other necessary stuff. The flight arrived at 8:40PM even with the rerouting scheduled to have arrived at 8PM, and we set foot out of the gate at almost 9PM, time for boarding the other flight. Since time through the security passed, the flight left while I was picking up my luggage. After talking to them, they were able to give me a hotel and a dinner and breakfast voucher, which is something at least I am a little grateful for. If you are flying with Iberia, you may get delays.
AircraftA330-200
RouteMiami to Madrid

"extremely disappointing"

Trip Verified | Disappointing flight from start to finish. Think twice before booking. We booked to fly to Lima, Peru through British Airways (BA) and they routed us on Iberia (IB) going via Madrid as they done do Lima direct. I felt comfortable selecting the Iberia flight knowing that the two airlines merged several years ago , and I assumed they would be quite similar in standard. Unfortunately that was not the case, Iberia is a vastly inferior service with lazy staff who treat passengers with disdain. We flew in Premium Economy(PE), something that IB has added to their aircraft around 18 months ago; we traveled on a Airbus 340-600. Boarding: the gate was absolute chaos - no signage to indicate where each class of travel should queue, and only 2 staff members to manage a crowd of 350 passengers. No priority given to people in wheelchairs or families traveling with push buggies etc. Onboard: the PE hard product looked good; Seats were standard premium economy and the bulkhead seat was spacious. The tv screens were modern, large with sharp picture quality. Unfortunately there were several coffee stains on the cabin walls and my footrest was broken. The crew: they were very lax. No cabin crew pointing out emergency exit, or any form of demo - just a pre recorded met. Throughout the 12 hour flight when ever the captain turned on the fasten seatbelt sign (5-6 times), the crew only made verbal announcements but no crew member actually came round to check that passengers were safely buckled up. When there was turbulence during meal service the crew would just carry on - even walking around with a hot pot of coffee serving passengers! The toilets were dirty all three times I used the facilities- no crew went in to tidy it at any point during the flight. The crew were literally just doing the bare essentials- well, not even. They were not particularly friendly either, no smiles no banter, just dropped the food on your tray table and moved to the next seat. Between meal service there were no crew to be seen. The food and beverages: the food in PE was economy food, as were the beverages (wine choice was “red or white”) and no spirits were served. No pre meal drinks service either. The food menu listed did not match the food being served. Summary: Iberia as a whole were extremely disappointing. The crews lack of adherence to standard air safety protocol is concerning. Iberia’s premium economy product was well below par and not worth what you pay for it. I was relieved when we landed, and thankful that our flight back to the UK from Buenos Aires is going to be on a British Airways aircraft.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMadrid to Lima
Date FlownNovember 2018

"no organization, no communication"

Trip Verified | Boston to Seville via Madrid. Our flight to Spain was cancelled due to a mechanical problem. We milled around the staff desk for 3 hours with no info re where/when they would put us up for the night. Or how we should reclaim our bags. On the way home, again it was total chaos, no organization, no communication.
RouteBoston to Seville via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2018

"avoid Iberia in the future"

Trip Verified | New York to Venice via Madrid. Flew on an AA codeshare RT flight from JFK-VCE with a transfer in Madrid. Iberia's new A350-900 is a beautiful plane. Cabin comfort is awesome even though seat pitch is terrible. Although I picked seat 38L which is by far the best seat in economy. Overall I was very happy with the service I received even if it was minimal and basic. The highlight of flying with Iberia is Madrid-Barajas airport which is one of the most beautiful in the world. Being Sapphire on One World I was also able to use their gorgeous VIP lounge and take a shower before my flight from Madrid to Venice. The reception desk employees couldn't have been more disinterested however. Their inter-european flights are horrible however. It's run like a budget airline where you have to pay 2 Euros for water. That's pathetic. Also the A319 I flew both directions was ancient and dirty and shouldn't have been in service in that condition. The water in the forward cabin restroom didn't work and instead they had towelettes to wash your hands. That's not acceptable. The flight back from Madrid to JFK was comfortable however service was absolutely terrible. They advertise WiFi but I couldn't get it to work after being in the air and at cruising altitude for over an hour. When I asked the flight attendant she gruffly told me that they haven't turned it on yet and that "Usted tiene que estar patiente" as if she was scolding a 5 year old. I'm not sure why that was necessary. When the WiFi did work it was so slow as to be rendered unusable. During the flight there was a 5 hour stretch where they couldn't be bothered to come through the aisle to even offer water or juice. This was unacceptable. Also they used the excuse of turbulence. I finally got up and asked the flight attendant in the back if I could please have some water. He poured me a cup and when I handed him the glass back he rudely snapped at me in Spanish saying: "Don't you see the seatbelt sign is on? You are supposed to be in your seat." It was uncalled for and inexcusable. At the end of the day they used the turbulence excuse in order to sit in the back of the plane and chat. Later I tested them by pressing my FA call button. They never came to my seat. That's no good. Of course when the final meal before landing was being served we were flying through extremely rough turbulence. But it wasn't enough in that case to suspend service? My overall takeaway is I would avoid Iberia in the future and fly AA-BA codeshare flights in the future. My overall impression of Iberia is that of a third-rate airline and is one of the weakest links in the One World Alliance.
RouteNew York to Venice via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2018

"poor business class product"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Madrid. Shockingly poor business class product. An economy class seat at three times the price in exchange for a guaranteed empty middle seat. Lunch consisted of a tuna salad sandwich wrapped in a plastic package, which looked awful and tasted worse. Aircraft old and shabby, no IFE, no power or WiFi and shuttle gates at far end of A concourse in BCN. You simply could not of dreamed up a worse combination on this key route. Do yourself a huge favour and take the AVE fast train. So much more civilised on so many levels and such a better experience and value.
RouteBarcelona to Madrid

"bad customer experience"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Brussels via Madrid. The flight from Santiago to Madrid was fine. Only in Madrid did we see that our connection was canceled. When requesting assistance to change our flight at their helpdesk the attendants where rude and useless in helping us out. Because it was caused by a strike by the baggage handling company, they offered no options for refund. All in all a bad customer experience.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Brussels via Madrid