Iberia

"nearly perfect for these two flights"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | My wife and myself flew recently ACE-MAD-BRU with Iberia, using Avios miles. I haven’t flown with them for some time, and I did not have high expectations when reading passengers comments on this web site and elsewhere. However, most of these comments are about refunds, cancelations, missed connections, missing bags, rude service on board or on the ground, or about problems when trying to contact the airline. Nothing similar happened and I am glad to report that everything went well and was (nearly) perfect for these two flights, in both cases onboard brand-new planes (a A321 neo of Iberia Express, then a A320 neo of Iberia iself). The only criticism I could have is that legroom is limited in C as in Y class, but we secured seats on the very first low (1F & 1D, the 1A and 1C), and this was less of the problem because of the bulkhead. I shall limit myself below to report the service we received on the ground and and in the air, for which all employees and crew members should be complimented. I hope that this will be good for their morale in these days ! Check in at Lanzarote airport was a breeze, as was going through security. We were there early, and spent some time in the small, but nice common lounge, equipped with a side terrace where we enjoyed our last sunny hour of the year. Boarding was done in good order, but we had to go down and up via stairs, despite the fact that an airbridge was available at that stand ; but this Iberia Express, isn’t it ? We took off on time, and a hot lunch was quickly offered thereafter (with above average gnocchi as the main course). The two hours or so of this flight went quicky, and we found that it was just too short. We had a two-hour transit at the busy Madrid hub, where we retired to the much larger, somewhat crowed Iberia Lounge. Boarding for the connecting flight was again on time, and it went as well in good order in these COVID days. Take off was somewhat delayed, but arrival in Brussels was on time, as some recovery margin is built into the schedule. Another hot meal was again quickly offered, this time in the late afternoon (with a steak of a decent size and very tasty ; this was our day of luck !). Crowning this, there was an excellent Rioja 2017, of which I asked for (and got) a second (small) bottle (whereas I did not ask for a second one of the dry white on the previous leg ; airline wine is sometimes as military music). Landing in cold and rainy Brussels came also too quickly, and our suitcases arrived soon on the carousel after a long, but enjoyable journey. All in all a perfect one from start to end, but I realize that we have perhaps been very lucky ; these things happen, however, and they should be reported as well! Had we paid full fare for these tickets, it would have been good value for money.
AircraftA321 / A320
RouteLanzarote to Brussels via Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"experience was very stressful"

Trip Verified | I booked my flight on April 25, 2021. On September 15, 2021 my flight was canceled for unknown reasons due to COVID-19 just a few days before my flight on September 18. They offered other flights that they had but none of them got us in at the right time. I appreciate that they offered a refund, but since they canceled so late we had to scramble to find a new flight and had to pay twice the amount. This entire experience was very stressful.
RouteSan Francisco to Florence via Barcelona
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"no way to get my money back"

Trip Verified | They cancelled my flights with Vueling and Level 5 days after booking, without any explanation. The email I recieved said that I was entitled to rebooking or refund, but none of the days within the required window had flights available to rebook, and when I requested a refund, my request was denied. I got no service, and no way to get my money back for a flight that they cancelled.
RouteAmsterdam to San Francisco via Barcelona
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Their planes are extremely dated and uncomfortable"

Not Verified | Iberia is by far the worst airline I have ever flown. I would rather fly Ryanair or Spirit across the Atlantic than ever endure another another experience with this airline. The check in agents were unprofessional and did not enforce any type of queue (despite the fact many travelers waited over 1.5 hours to check in) - they first checked in anyone who cut the line and shoved their way to the front. Agent took my bag at the plane due to no overhead space, frantic and yelling at passengers (not in English), not allowing us time to remove our passports or other important medication. Every departure (and thus arrival) was late. Their planes are extremely dated and uncomfortable and were not cleaned/wiped down prior to boarding which is particularly concerning during the pandemic. I would urge you to choose a different airline when flying.
RouteMiami to Lisbon
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"charged me for the two suitcases again"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket with one suitcase included, then I bought two extra suitcases because I was traveling with my son. When I arrived at the airport, it did not appear in the system and they charged me for the two suitcases again and told me to claim the money that would be returned. The fact is that I am in Cuba and there is no way that I can communicate with someone. Nobody answers the phone only machines. It is impossible to talk to someone. Compre un tiket con una maleta incuida, luego compre dos maletas extra porque viajaba con mi hijo. Al llegar al areopuerto no aparecia en el sistema y me cobraron las dos maleta otra vez y me dijero que reclamara el dinero que seria devuelto. El caso es que estoy en Cuba y no hay manera que pueda comunicarme con alguien nadie responde el telefono solo maquinas. Es imposible poder hablar con alguien.
RouteLondon to Havana via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2021

"If you are not 100% sure your can make this flight do not book this airline"

Not Verified | We have not flown this airline yet but have booked tickets. I wanted to write a review to let others know that they do not give vouchers or refunds regardless of Covid. On their website they make it seem like we can get vouchers in case we are not able to fly into the EU but that is not the case. We were told that we can only change our flight but they would charge us $200+ to change the flight once, even though we don't know when we will be able to fly in. I asked to speak to the managers and was told that all the managers were in a meeting at 7pm at night. Yeah okay. If you are not 100% sure your can make this flight do not book this airline. The EU recently put out a travel ban on the USA and we still can't even get a voucher for our flight. I would never use this airline again, no wonder it is so cheap.
RouteNew York JFK to Barcelona
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Silent bird, perfect crew"

Trip Verified | Check-in in Marseille was quick and efficient, as a special counter for passengers connecting with flights to USA (not our case) that demands extra care on documentation. Silent bird, perfect crew.
AircraftCRJ-1000
RouteMarseille to Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2021

"The crew did not enforced the current regulations"

Trip Verified | After a couple of flights within Europe, where COVID precautions were respected and/or enforced, we faced a stressful situation. A whole family decided not to wear masks (just around the necks) in order to talk, eat the whole meal they had brought etc... They were on the other side of the corridor, 3 of them. The crew did not enforced the current regulations. We kindly demanded the crew to ask this family to wear mask. They did not. They ran away from them! They were afraid of being contaminated, we believe. We are afraid of having been contaminated. What could we do? We could not escape from the flight. We were prisoners.
AircraftCRJ-1000
RouteMadrid to Marseille
Date FlownAugust 2021

"check in took over 1hr and 30 mins"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | I flew with Iberia from Zurich to Madrid. The check in took over 1hr and 30 mins for a A319 (which is a small aircraft) to pass through, it was organized chaos with people jumping the queue and many issues. It is COVID time but when I got to the desk, my baggage was taken in less than 5 minutes so I have no idea for the delay. The aircraft was dirty and old, the issue I had the biggest problem with is the economy seat space. I'm 190cm tall and i couldn't bend my knee so had to put my legs in the aisle. Very poor Iberia, I won’t be using you again. I actually chose you over Air Europa and I think it was a poor choice.
RouteZurich to Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2021

"the experience is great"

Trip Verified | Flew to Madrid and back on Iberia’s new A350-900. They’re using these wide-bodied jets right now and the experience is great: lie-flat seat, full entertainment schedule and very good food. Crew lovely. Both flights were on time, maybe even early. Used BA lounge at LHR and then Iberia’s Dali lounge at MAD (it was early so the T4S Velazquez lounge was shut) which was quiet and very well stocked.
AircraftA350-900