Iberia

"Food was eatable but no more than that"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Between average and under average to sum up my flights. Boarding for business passengers in Lima was perfect: very orderly and quick. The usual oldish looking business cabin pretty worn out. When I asked something else than the 2 choices for the welcome drink: plain water or cava (the Spanish sparkling wine), I was told: "after take off" Even if I asked for it again twice I had to wait 1h10! and it was given to me at the same time as the meal: Iberia staff likes to make the minimum efforts possible. The dinner was dreadfully presented on a tiny tray (size of a coach meal tray) and in a very oldish and ugly china. No menu with the usual Covid excuse. So I was asked "Beef or fish?" and when I asked how they were prepared I got the 2 same words snapped back to me. Food was eatable but certainly no more than that, and the presentation did not make you hungry. Appetizer was canteen style, meat was tough and overcooked, cheese truly bad and desert bad. Apart from the beef or fish, no choice. To be honest the wines were good but once again no menu to know what you were drinking. Between the dinner and the breakfast we never saw a crew member: doesn't Iberia train the cabin crew to treat decently business class clients decently? And in my fair opinion of ultra freqent traveller the Iberia executive in charge of food should be transferred to some another department asap. Business passengers are entitled to 30 minutes wifi: never worked! even if on my outbound flight it did. My short haul flight between Lisbon and Madrid was better.
RouteLima to Lisbon via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Don't pay for upgrades in advance"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Don't pay for upgrades in advance. They won't honor it, concur with another reviewer. Trip frim Madrid to Bogotá I paid extra for leg room since I'm pretty tall. Selected my seat and paid. Checked in at the counter and they stuck me in the last row next to the bathroom. Told them I paid extra but they wouldn't change it. Same thing happened from Bogotá to Madrid. Essentially I paid extra for a small non reclining seat next to the galley. I will never ever fly this airline again. They're a scam.
RouteMadrid to Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2021

"flight was a big disappointment"

Trip Verified | The A350-900, a first for me and I was very excited to fly Iberia for the first time. The flight was a big disappointment. The problems started at check-in; long queues and unclear instructions on what Covid documents were required to show at this stage caused the queue to move very slowly. Boarding was not much better, the process was slow and unclear. Passengers stood in wrong rows and the order in which people were being boarded was very chaotic, causing a long queue in the jet bridge. After a 45 minute delay and everybody onboard, IB3166 left Madrid for London. The crew handed out a small sanitation kit and a small bottle of water. There were no menu cards available due to Covid and the menu was not available on the IFE. There was no option to purchase other food or drinks or any of the luxury items Iberia advertises on the IFE, a bit disappointing since I was planning on purchasing some food for my short layover at LHR. The seat on the A350 impressed me, it was very comfortable with a good amount of legroom, a relatively large IFE screen and adjustable headrest. The IFE shut down after 30 minutes into the flight and the flight crew refused to help me by resetting the screen. The crew seemed tired and not interested in the passengers. The flight attendants were not visible during the flight and did not respond to people calling for help using the button on the IFE. This caused issues upon arrival at LHR, they did not have a system for deboarding, passengers were queueing in the aisles and pushing forward towards the exit of the aircraft. A very disappointing experience and I expected the Iberia crew to perform far better than this. In conclusion, Iberia showed me to be an airline which is just average when it comes to these flights. The seat on the A350-900 was amazing, but the fact that there was no food service, no system behind the boarding process and the flight crew being uninterested in the passengers experience showed me that I would rather pay more to fly another airline on a route such as this one.
AircraftA350-900
RouteMadrid to London
Date FlownNovember 2021

"wide bodied jets make business class an attractive option"

Trip Verified | The wide bodied jets that Iberia fly on this route (A330-300 and A350-900) make business class an attractive option: lie-flat bed, movies and a lot of space, even if only for 2 hours. The food from Do&Co is also very good, with Guylian chocolates now added with the coffee service. The crew are fairly reserved but ready to assist. This flight was an on-time departure and early arrival. I was connecting through Madrid and used the Dali lounge in T4, where they were making cocktails to order.
AircraftA350-900
RouteLondon to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Problems were first a late flight"

Not Verified | Everything on the actual planes was fine. Problems were first a late flight to Madrid for me discernable reason. Then lied to about still making connecting flight to Chicago. About 15 people that I saw were denied boarding because they had closed it least 15 minutes before the closing time shown on the boarding pass. Rebooked through American then endured a 3 hour check-in line that was a model of slow motion incompetence. Miraculously just made the Boston flight.
RouteSan Sebastian to Boston via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2021

"at times frustrating experience"

Not Verified | All in all a very underwhelming and at times frustrating experience. Serious problems with cabin crew, service/hospitality is non-existent. We travelled in both economy and premium economy and the service and food were equally bad in both. In premium economy, I wanted to ask for some water so I put my call bell on - this was ignored for about 15 minutes (though many crew saw it) before one woman came by, turned the call light off and walked off. I had a laugh about it with a guy across the aisle, we were both in awe at the spectacularly bad service. I also spent hours and hours on their website trying unsuccessfully to check-in, it just kept freezing, tried to call customer service, was on hold for 10 minutes before being disconnected (several times) because the call centre was supposedly too busy. In summary, customer service on and off the plane is atrocious. Food was also pretty poor, on both 9 hour flights, the first meal was mediocre quality (at best) and the second meal was a banana or a packaged muffin. The only positive thing I can say is that they offer last-minute upgrades for quite reasonable prices. Perhaps worth the gamble to go long-haul business or premium economy for an extra hundred euros or so. If flying economy, definitely bring your own headphones, the ones they provide are a joke.
RouteMunich to Santo Domingo via Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2021

"never fly with Iberia"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Dubrovnik via Madrid. What a joke this airline is. No customer service what so ever. We need to change our return ticket and cannot find an English speaking service rep and when you do they disconnect your call or refer you to another number that automatically disconnects. We have spent 4 days trying to find someone that can assist us and now we will lose our return ticket as we can’t cancel it or change it on their website. We fly internationally 4 times a year but will never fly with Iberia again.
RouteLos Angeles to Dubrovnik via Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"no service, attendants ignored call bell"

Trip Verified | Paid full fare business class, was denied entry to the lounge despite it being included in the fare, also included and not delivered was catering and priority boarding, I got to the gate and she roped off the priority queue in front of me, showed her my ticket, she pointed to the back of the economy line and turned around. I said I'm flying business and she looked at the ticket, said "too late, should have got here earlier", she then proceeded to let 4 groups of people down the priority lane after I walked away, all of whom I later saw flying business class just like me. Seat was wet, covered in wine, sauce and stains, cabin full, 'nothing they can do', spent the flight uncomfortably on 2 jackets. Catering was non existent, no service, attendants ignored call bell when I tried to get a drink, went to the crew to ask in the galley, was told to "go away, you cant be here". Flight attendants proceeded to sit together as a group of 3 laughing the entire flight and taking selfies. Toilets were disgusting, not cleaned once, piss and toilet paper everywhere, never felt like I needed a shower more than when I was on that flight.
RouteLondon to Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"don't pay for any upgrades"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Be aware of Iberia's fraudulent attempt to get your money. My husband and I traveled from Bogota to Madrid this last September 2021, and decided to pay extra for a more comfortable seat, since my husband is over 6 feet tall. Iberia offers a Premium Economy upgrade option for extra 100+ dollars per ticket, which the company will charge to your credit card but they will not honor the upgrade upon check in. It is a scam! Iberia has old, uncomfortable planes and if you have no choice but to travel with this airline, don't pay for any upgrades, because they will not reimburse you when they stick you on a regular uncomfortable seat. Avoid traveling with Iberia if possible, due to the terrible service.
RouteBogota to Madrid

"Boarding was a chaos"

Trip Verified | Boarding was a chaos due to the rudeness and inefficiency of the staff who made no attempt to keep order and appeared overwhelmed by checking documents. Very unprofessional.
RouteMadris to London