Iberia

"We were not given any information"

Trip Verified | Disgusting customer service and complete inability to deal with problems. Iberia are scammers. They sold tickets, cancelled the flight and simply refused to take any responsibility. On December 7, Iberia cancelled a transatlantic flight IB2626 from Boston to Barcelona. Passengers were told to go home or to the hotel and wait. On the next morning, we received an email saying that the flight was cancelled (in case someone hadn’t figured that out). That was the only update from the company. Phone customer support refused to deal with the problem. The flight was marketed under Level, an airline brand under which Iberia operates low-cost flights, so we were told to call Level. Level customer reps, in their turn, kept sending us to the operator, Iberia. Level website clearly states that Iberia is the operating carrier for flights to Barcelona. After a dozen back and forth calls we were told to go back to Boston Logan Airport. At the airport, we found over 200 frustrated passengers from the same flight - and no Iberia representatives. None. At the airport information desk we were told that Iberia refused to give any updates to Boston Logan. 2 Iberia reps appeared after 1 pm on December 8, that was 15 hours after the flight was supposed to depart. Their initial response was - again! - to tell us to call Level. Or Vueling? Or someone. And to keep waiting. No attempts to book passengers for other flights were made. Eventually, Iberia reps said they needed to write down passenger names and ticket numbers. When I asked why, they told me they needed to send that information to Iberia office in Madrid. Seriously? The company didn’t have information about 200 people that had already checked in for their flight? After that, we were - again - told to go home. We were not given any information about what to expect, potential compensations, refunds, anything. We called customer service again and asked to book us for a new flight. Apparently, the earliest date available was December 12, i.e. five days later. Alternatively, we could get a refund for the tickets. Still waiting for a refund.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBoston to Barcelona
Date FlownDecember 2019

"No seats available for a couple"

Trip Verified | Mexico City to Madrid. No seats available for a couple to sit together (the new configuration apparently only has 4 pairs of couple seats and all other couples are seated either in same row but far apart or one behind the other). At mexico airport, they closed the business class check in line so same q for all passengers. The seats are narrow and no sense of privacy. The toilets (no tissues, not cleaned regularly), the sandwiches they offer as snacks during the flight. My bags literally came out the last at Madrid airport, despite having priority tags. The lounges were ok at both airports. The amenity kit was okay. Overall, just doesnt feel like anyone is in charge with service.
RouteMexico City to Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2019

"flight was cancelled last minute"

Not Verified | Our flight was cancelled last minute. They kept us waiting in the terminal for 2 hours before finally cancelling. They tried to rebook us on a flight from Boston to Dublin and then to Barcelona from there. The email they sent the rebooking information on was in Spanish with no English translation. There was also no option to check into the flight or any information about how to access the flight online or cancel it. At this point I would only have 2 days left in Barcelona which was not worth it to me. When I tried to get a refund customer service was unhelpful and told me to call the airline that they rebooked us to. They made no effort to help and had no further communication with us. It felt like they were trying to push our problems with them onto another airline to avoid us.
RouteBoston to Barcelona
Date FlownDecember 2019

"charging to sit together"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | San Jose to Madrid. Terrible service on the outward and return journey. My food was inedible. After food service staff disappeared. Bathrooms were not clean. People travelling together split up just to get a bit more money out of you by charging to move and sit together.
RouteSan Jose to Madrid

"poor as a low cost"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Madrid. I need to fly with Iberia quite often. Over the last few years the quality has dropped to a level that makes the experience as poor as a low cost. A need to pay for seat selection within 24 hrs of the flight, space inside the aircraft, you purchase an Iberia flight and may end up in an Iberia Express or Vueling aircraft, delays. In Lisbon they opened the check-in counters 2.55 to 2 hrs before the flight, which meant a long queue. I enclose a picture of the queue two hours before the flight departure.
RouteLisbon to Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2019

"crew were very unhelpful"

Trip Verified | London to Havana via Madrid. The crew were very unhelpful. When food was served they refused to ask the people in front to put their seat in an upright position thus we had to squeeze and eat our meal. he crew only seemed intent on looking after a handful of people - even when I rang the bell someone just came over and turned the light off but didn't enquire what my query was.
RouteLondon to Havana via Madrid

"They lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | Madrid to New York JFK. I had a very bad experience with them. They lost my luggage. They said when it went missing that it never made it to the plane. They located it and will deliver in 24 hours. It has been 3 days now and no one is answering us.Their customer service is below mediocre.
RouteMadrid to New York JFK

"lost my baggage"

Trip Verified | Casablanca to London in August 2019, the flight departed from Casablanca over 45 minutes late, consequently we arrived at the departure gate for the Madrid Flight three minutes after the last call and they refused us to board. We went to the customer service desk. They have an automatic ticketing system which has a alpha numerical number and it took 2 hours 45 minutes to get served. Iberia booked my wife into a Hotel in Madrid and an early direct flight Madrid - Dublin. As we missed our London - Dublin British Airways flight we were classified as a no show therefore our return flight from Dublin - London was cancelled. I had to purchase two new Dublin - London flights. Iberia lost my baggage so for fourteen days we were without our luggage.
RouteCasablanca to Madrid via London
Date FlownAugust 2019

"managed to lose my luggage"

(Estonia)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Tenerife, water is not offered for free. The seats were uncomfortable, and they managed to lose my luggage and returned it on the day I was leaving from my vacation. Staff did not seem to care when I was trying to get a full refund for the things I had to buy and had no contact with the airport or the delivery company directly. Everyday I had to call them and everyday they promised it would arrive and it never did. According to tracking, my luggage arrived the next day but I got a call from the airport at a final day asking if I even want it delivered anymore? On the flight back they didn’t have enough hand luggage space in the aircraft and had to ask the last people in line to check in their luggage. At this point I will try to avoid this airline as much as I can.
RouteMadrid to Tenerife
Date FlownOctober 2019

"FA were friendly"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Brussels. Quite an old A319, boarding was on time. FA were friendly, was a hot meal served with a choice of chicken or pasta average quality best items were the 2 pieces of cheese. Decent choice of drinks however not a welcome drink and it took more 40 minutes after departure when they started the service. One of my bags was delivered as one of last luggage pieces despite labelled priority. Iberia is not one of my favorite airlines however it should be wrong to say it is bad.
RouteMadrid to Brussels