Hong Kong Airlines

"rude people at check in"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Hong Kong. Worst experience with an airline.Very unhelpful and rude people at check in. The women at the check in desk asked us to show her on our ticket what the flight number was, She couldn't read her own airline ticket. On top of that she also missed that the luggage were traveling all the way to Istanbul and messed that up. We'll never fly with Hong Kong Airlines again.
RouteAuckland to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2019

"waited 24 hrs for our baggage"

Trip Verified | Our flight from Los Angeles to Hong Kong was delayed for 5 hrs, then Hong Kong to Manila was also delayed. The worst part is when we arrived to Manila, 3 of our baggage didn't arrive, we waited another 24 hrs for our baggage. Never gonna fly this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"a very impressive experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong Airlines seems to be going strong, despite of the recent rumours about their financial hardship. For this route HX deployed an Ex SIA A330 plane, with old style angle lie flat seat at 2-2-2 configuration. It's from the 90s but still at acceptable condition. Leg room and seat pitch are acceptable, only it's a bit cramped when in fully flat position. This is ok for short haul flights like this one, so no complaints. Catering and wine selection is average. Beef is a typically difficult type of meat to serve and get right on board. My beef dish was tough, so I ate only half. Despite these short comings, what makes HX shine are their well trained cabin crew, who are courteous and hard working. They are also very pro-active and see to my every need throughout the flight, reminds me of how things used to be in the long gone past. They have a very good on board duty free catalog that offers some unique items. Fast track was given to help speed through immigration process. Priority bags are amongst the first to be delivered. Overall, a very impressive experience.
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok

"a flight to forget"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Osaka to Hong Kong. This flight was well below par in terms of service, no smile from flight attendants, no slippers offered. Inflight meal arrived without chopsticks for starter, no refill of drink and my food tray was not collected for over an hour. Whilst waiting for the bathroom, near the middle of the aircraft I saw the Cabin Crew looking after the economy class were preparing drinks on trays to offer economy class passengers. Seems like Economy Class passengers had better service than business class passengers on this flight. Was a flight to forget. Economy class luggage was delivered before Priority Baggage. The positive is it seems as if inflight meals have improved significantly the past two flights.
RouteOsaka to Hong Kong

"Flight was punctual"

Trip Verified | Manila to Vancouver via Hong Kong, the first leg from Manila was Philippine Airlines. Our layover was only 2 hrs but we had to line up for an hour in HKG to get our connecting boarding passes. Prior to the flight I had checked in online already and saved the bar codes in my phone, however according to the staff, these were not allowed and printed copies were required. They should have at least noted that online. During boarding they did not prioritize families with children. Inflight entertainment is limited to movies and music. Inflight food is not nourishing for me. The cabin crew are very accommodating and helpful. Flight was punctual as expected.
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"flight is about 80% full"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Beijing to Hong Kong. The flight is about 80% full. My seat is in the middle next to wings. I was served a meal without any choice. As I really didn't want to eat spicy noodles the cabin attendant gave me breads instead, but no butter. Since no entertainment on this old airplane, a passenger use speaker loudly of his mobile phone to watch something in flight.
RouteBeijing to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"quite low price we paid"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong. First of all, the Hong Kong Airlines website is really clunky and bad. The error messages are cryptic and useless at best. We were not able to check in online, and got different error messages each time. We purchased VIP lounge passes, but only received 1 via email/text and was unable to attach them to our itinerary or my frequent flier account. I was unable to make an FF account for my wife, again useless error messages. Check in lines were pretty long, and boarding was poorly managed. We paid extra for the "extra legroom" seats for the HKG to LAX and return and if those have 3" extra legroom, I'd hate to sit in a normal seat. The seats were also hard and uncomfortable. I have flown a number of other Asian carriers (Singapore, EVA, Korean primarily) and all had much more comfortable normal seats. The food was poor and very little choice. No self-serve snacks, no menu provided. Only Chinese-style food and it just wasn't that good. There was limited water/juice service throughout the flight. Considering the quite low price we paid, it was reasonable. But if you look at other seasons, the prices are not even competitive with airlines with better service, I think our fare was somewhat of a fluke.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2018

"impressed and appreciative"

Not Verified | On Nov 24 2018 we arrived at the Ho Chi Minh Airport only to find our flight would be delayed due to a typhoon. I want to thank the staff at Hong Kong Airlines for taking such good care of us from Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong to Vancouver, and even arranging our flight through Air Canada from Vancouver to Calgary. I panicked several times due to not being well travelled. I want to express my deepest appreciation for the absolute care & attention provided to me and my family every step of the way, ensuring alternate flights were arranged, looking after our luggage, and reassuring us that they care. I am so very impressed and appreciative. Thank you!
RouteHo Chi Minh to Hong Kong via Vancouver

"unacceptable service"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City. Our flight was delay 6 hours from SFO to Hong Kong. Our flight from Hong Kong to Ho Cho Minh delayed. Once we landed in Hong Kong they gave me the first flight out but it’s 23 hours wait. They gave another family of 3 guests on the same flight out as ours from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh on Vietnam Airline. This is the worst experience of flying. This is unacceptable service.
RouteHong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownNovember 2018

"rebooking cost will be 800HKD"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | My husband and I attempted to speak with many different staff and no one assisted us. My husband and I were booked on two separate flights from Hong Kong to Okinawa. I was on the 0710 flight, he was on the 1130. The 0730 flight was not full, so we asked if we could change my husband’s flight to 0730, so that we could back to Okinawa together. Many people we asked just said simply I can’t do that, no information provided why or where to switch the flight. One lady said I can switch the flight, but the rebooking cost will be 800HKD. There were 3 empty seats next to me. What a waste!
RouteHong Kong to Okinawa