Hong Kong Airlines

"referring to strict booking conditions"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. We booked a flight with miles but had to pay # 60x2 EUR for taxes fees. We had to postpone our trip in November due to the events in HK and planned for February in order to stay within the limit of the validity of the ticket. But in February, nothing was possible and I asked for cancellation of both ticket, mentioning that I want to get my 13000 points x2 accredited to our accounts. Result: A credit of 54,04 EUR and very rude answer referring to strict booking conditions without any concern about Covid as if these people ignore the pandemic. Explanation about the credit can be get through the booking link, that not work. I sent a complain letter but after one week no answer.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"disappointed and dissatisfied"

Trip Verified | Tickets were a mess when leaving Vancouver yto Hong Kong. Ticket lady had to reprint them and fix our seats even though I had previously paid to select my seat. While getting that straightened out, saw a notice that the online entertainment was broken for the 14 he flight. Got on the plane and they didnt offer a paper, magazine or anything with no entertainment. Food was pretty good but when I selected fish and got chicken instead. Asked for alcohol drink they said they had wine and no coffee for food service but later they were giving coffee and beers. Also made everyone sit their chairs up to eat before serving. I found out that they did have alcohol but I had to go to the back for it because if I rang the assistance button they rarely delivered. I was very disappointed and dissatisfied. On a 14 he flight you need entertainment, they apologized for it but then tried to sell us treats from their menu to compliment the non movie movies.
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"very good solid service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Beijing. A very good solid service. The food is not ideal but satisfying. In flight entertainment was not working but was advised of this at check in. The boarding procedure was fast and the captain made adequate announcements keeping us informed at all times. The seat has a good recline pitch and is quite comfortable for the short trip.
RouteHong Kong to Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2019

"regularly cancel their flights"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Beijing via Hong Kong. Hong Kong Airlines is the worst airline to book flights with because they regularly cancel their flights and do not care about what passengers have booked with them. I booked a flight in Sept of this year for travel in March and Hong Kong Airlines cancelled our flights to HK and Beijing right off costing me additional costs to make changes to our hotels. At the end, they offered me a full refund 3 months prior to departure when I had booked my flights 6 months prior, and their CS did not even bother to look up any other reasonable flight changes with other partner airlines to make my original arrival and departure dates work. I told them the reason I booked my flights in advance was to get the travel plans fully secured on exact dates and offering me a refund now would be useless as it would be impossible for me to find similar flights now. The CS did not seem to give a damn! Do not fly with them!
RouteVancouver to Beijing via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2019

"no way to clarify booking details"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | We were 17 people traveling together and at Bangkok airport we were asked to pay extra for Myanmar (4 of them) passengers because their name was entered wrong. We have travelled HK Airlines before but this wasn’t a problem then. Myanmar citizens have only one continuous name with no surname or first name and we booked their tickets by entering their name twice in both fields. At the airport we were told that this is wrong and we needed to enter Mister or Miss in the first name field and the surname field to be entered with the whole name. Nowhere does it say this as we entered the name according to our previous experience. The ground staff said she was only working there and she could not do anything but follow orders. I do think if you take on a job you are expected to fulfill your responsibility towards the job and not fill a seat! Calling the Bangkok office is of no use because they do not pick up or keep you waiting and the automatically disconnects. So there is no way to clarify booking details. We went to the Bangkok office before the flight date and they didn’t say that there was an issue with the names then. This is high unacceptable. The flight itself was uncomfortable - the planes both to Hong Kong and to Osaka were small with no personal TV.
RouteBangkok to Osaka via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"enough for short-haul"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Taipei. During this 90-minute flight, using the IFE system is enough. The cabin was not much comfortable as the A330s was quite old. The catering service was quite short with a sausage bun but it's enough for short-haul. After touch down in Taipei, taxing was a bit long due to traffic control.
RouteHong Kong to Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2019

"would recommend them"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. The really good thing about Hong Kong Airlines is that their prices are fairly reasonable and it remains that way even till a day or two before departure, which makes last minute flying with them great. Also, they do not charge a premium on one-way tickets (i.e. The cost of a one way ticket is roughly half the cost of a return ticket), so it really helps when flying multiple destinations. Other than that, it is quite an average airline with average legroom, below-average food, service, average IFE, etc. This certainly isn't my first time flying with them, and they're a just-meeting-expectations airline on the whole. I appreciate and would recommend them for their flexibility especially for a last-minute traveler around Asia.
AircraftA330-343
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2019

"they offered me a refund"

Trip Verified | I booked a trip with Hong Kong Airlines in March 2019 for travel in December 2019. I booked it this far in advance so that I get decent prices on the flights. My flights were confirmed by Hong Kong Airlines and I booked the hotels at my destination. One month after I booked the trip, Hong Kong Airlines contacted me to let me know that the airline had cancelled our departure flight and that they were bumping us out by one day. Then 3 months prior to departure, Hong Kong Airlines contacted me again to let me know that the airline had now cancelled our return flight and they would be bumping us out by one day for our return flight. I contacted my travel agent to let them know that this was not acceptable as it would cost me more money again to book a hotel for the extra day. After spending hours and days on this, nobody at my travel agency or Hong Kong Airlines was able to assist me. At the end, they offered me a refund. I let them know that the reason I had booked my flights 9 months in advance is because I wanted to ensure that I get decent prices on my flights. Giving me a refund 3 months prior to departure is not going to help me find similar flights on the dates that I needed them on.
RouteVancouver to Bangkok via Hong Hong
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Getting seats assigned impossible"

(Panama)

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Hong Kong. I purchased a ticked from an online travel agency, and none of the seat selections was respected, even though the receipt showed them as confirmed. For online check-in instead of using the name and locator number, they require the ticket number, which was not on the agency confirmation. The lounge in LAX was mediocre. On the LAX to Hong Kong leg, the hard product (cabin/seat) at first glance looked quite comfortable enough. The soft product was of vastly inferior quality. The seat was dirty, crumbs on the seat, and stains on the armrest. The service was uncoordinated and slow. The bread came after the main course. The drinks were poured once, and any further request for either a refill or more water was only brought after a long wait or a reminder. The wifi was unusable. One could see the network, but there was never a connection. Getting seats assigned on the return portion was impossible at airport checkin on the outbound, and could only be done 24 hours prior to the last segment departure (not 24 hours before the first segment departure, as is standard). A call to their customer service line resulted in "I cannot open the seat map." There is a lot of competition on these routes, and, I'm sorry to say, for the price, this is the worst option.
AircraftA350 / A330
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"the Cabin Crew were exceptional"

Trip Verified | My son and I were flying from Vancouver to Hong Kong with Hong Kong Airlines. Everything was going extremely well, until my son's stomach started to hurt and started throwing up. The Cabin Crew were extremely nice and they allowed my son to lie down in business class. One of the Cabin Crew was really nice to my son. They asked if he wanted hot water every hour and also gave him some medicine to reduce pain in his stomach. Overall, I think the Cabin Crew were exceptional and they also arranged him a wheelchair.
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver