Hawaiian Airlines

"it’s always been great before today"

Not Verified | Two of us bought round trip tickets for Oahu with the same confirmation number. Flew from Maui to Honolulu at 6.10 am. Return was for 6.30 pm. Mid trip, Hawaiian Airlines changed my confirmation number mid trip! I could check in my boyfriend but not me. Then Hawaiian Airlines gave me attitude after talking to two reps. All they could do was try (3 times) looking for my confirmation number. I had to spell it out about 6 times. Then they couldn’t even check me in. Said I had to go back online. That is the worst process and stupidest customer service I’ve ever had. I have flown Hawaiian Airlines several times, and it’s always been great before today.
RouteHonolulu to Maui
Date FlownOctober 2019

"unprofessional and horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Boston. Horrendous experience. My flight was delayed and after waiting on the plane for hours, they changed my flight. They gave me a different itinerary so now I had American Airlines for my second flight. Once I arrived at my layover destination, American Airlines tells me they cannot find my ticket. They call Hawaiian and Hawaiian says I’m supposed to take Jetblue even though the paper they gave me says American Airlines. They refuse to do anything about it. I did not even get an apology for their mistake. They told me I had to take it up with Jetblue. Extremely unprofessional and horrible customer service. They do not care.
RouteHonolulu to Boston
Date FlownOctober 2019

"provided minimum customer service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I flew with premium economy seat from Auckland to Honolulu. (11 hour journey). The leg room and the seat was reasonably good. I was so shocked when I saw how small and tight the economy seats behind me were. (Seats and leg room are much smaller than usual.) Food was just a pack of cold sandwich and juice for the whole journey. Flight attendants basically disappeared in between food time. No conversation, not many smiles on their face, no interaction with passengers. They provided minimum customer service. During my return journey (back to Auckland). I was not feeling well and had a temperature. I decided to upgrade myself to First Class so I could lay down and have some rest. The upgrading process was done over the counter at the airport. Staff: no smiles but got it done very quickly. Returning flight: Seat was able to fully decline to a flatbed. The service was so different from those premium economy or economy. Flight attendants made conversation with those first class passengers with a smile. What a surprise! Food is average but of course it is considered to be much better than the cold sandwich and packed juice. I fedback to the flight attendant that my blanket smelt awful and requested to change to another one. It smelt like it hadn't been washed for at least more than a month. She replied me saying that there was no spare blanket around, so she couldn't do anything. Giving me that kind of "Take it or leave it" attitude and just walked away. I was so disappointed. They called it "First Class cabin". I was feeling so cold the whole journey. Bear in mind that I was not feeling well and this experience was really poor. Yes, I agreed that the cost of their airtickets are slightly cheaper than other airlines but I would not fly with them anymore. I rather pay a bit more to get at least reasonable service.
RouteAuckland to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"marketing ploy to get passengers to buy"

Trip Verified | New York to Honolulu. The flight left on schedule and the flight was same as the one we had from Honolulu to New York few days prior. One thing I did notice was that they first went through the the drink and food cart to sell them. Then, they went through the second time providing the meal with complementary alcoholic beverages and drinks. I got little confused at first on the first run of the of the food cart with the accompanying announcement thinking I had to purchase the drinks and food until the the meal cart came through. Probably a marketing ploy to get passengers to buy. Anyway, given that US domestic services offered by all airlines including the big three operate on budget airline model of charging for everything, it is to be expected if you live in the States. Other than that, for other aspects of the flight my previous comments stand.
AircraftA330-200
RouteNew York to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"big disappointment was the IFE"

Trip Verified | Sydney to New York via Honolulu. First time flying on Hawaiian Airlines after more than 20 years of not flying with them. Flight leg from Sydney to Honolulu was full. Unique part of the airline is the Hawaiian culture it promoted in the background music, style of food offered during the flight, and the flight attendant uniform. Having lived in Honolulu during my early 20's with many local friends, it does bring back memories. However, staying on the subject at hand, the seats were average quality, food was better than average for the most part, alcoholic beverage was free, and the service was as expected of an average carrier. One negative is the time between serving and picking up the tray is too short. If they have another 10-15 minutes that would have been comfortable time given for a meal. The one big disappointment was the IFE. The selection was limited and you could not play until after the plane had taken off and the IFE was stopped about 30 minutes before landing. They could learn from carriers like Air NZ, Emirates, Qantas, and Virgin Australia and update their system to play IFE from the moment the passengers board to disembark when they land. After all, they are competing with some of these carriers from Australia to US. As we were transferring to another A330 in Honolulu to New York, the baggage transfer information was provided on the plane and it was easy to locate the counter after the Customs. We left Honolulu on time and the flight to New York was pretty much a repeat of our journey from Sydney to Honolulu.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSydney to New York via Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"fly another airline if you can"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Kona via Honolulu. My wife is terminally ill. In May 2019, I purchased two first class round trip tickets from Kona Hawaii to JFK NYC for medical treatment. I paid $8800 for these two tickets. I had to cancel for emergency medical reasons. I was issued a voucher for the $8800. In July, I attempted to use the voucher to buy tickets for the same route. The online price was $8800 but they wouldn’t accept the voucher. I had to call customer service. I was told that the same tickets that I was looking at online would cost me $17,000 because I was using a voucher. I decided to go to Las Vegas on Hawaiian and then on to NYC on their partner airline, Jet Blue. They told me that I couldn’t use the voucher to travel with Jet Blue. I asked for two first class tickets r/t from Kona to Vegas and back. The cost for these two tickets was $3400. Hawaiian told that I could only use the voucher once and that they would be keeping the remaining $5400. When I asked why, I was rudely told to “go read your contract”! The trip from Kona to Vegas was mediocre, the food on the menu some foreign unpronounceable dish. I asked for bread and butter but they didn’t have any. The return trip from Vegas to Kona was horrible. I arrived at the airport an hour before takeoff, at 08:30. Hawaiian told the rental car shuttle bus driver that they didn’t have any wheelchair available. I went into the terminal and there must have been 10 wheelchairs at the Hawaiian check in kiosk. After getting my wife in the terminal, when I went to check in, at 08:45. I was told that they had released my two tickets and the aircraft doors were already closed! I immediately said “it’s 45 minutes before takeoff” and the attendant replied “you are not going to make it through TSA” and “your luggage will never make it in time”. She checked us in and notified the boarding gate that we were on the way and that our tickets should be reinstated, it’s was now 08:50. The SAS personnel at McCarran Airport were outstanding. They rushed my wife in a wheelchair, through TSA, on the tram and around the terminal to the boarding gate. We got there at 09:05 and they had just started board the main cabin. The flight left on time but again the meal was some unpronounceable name. I asked for bread and butter and was offered a croissant. When we got to Honolulu, it was raining, This time Hawaiian provided a wheelchair but I had to push my wife through the terminals. The connecting flight was delayed for almost an hour and the boarding gate had been changed but no announcement was made. Upon arrival in Kona it was pouring rain. My wife was transported off the aircraft and I was asked if I would mind pushing her wheelchair through the rain to baggage claim. So if you are thinking of flying first class with Hawaiian, save yourself a lot of money and fly in the main cabin. As a matter of fact, fly another airline if you can. The service is the same but the tickets are a little cheaper. As for me, I will never fly on Hawaiian Airlines again.
RouteLas Vegas to Kona via Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"a very positive experience"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Kona. I expected much less. First time on Hawaiians new narrow body aircraft across the Pacific. I had a very positive experience. Very comfortable seating (far better then Delta or American or United on similar aircraft). The service was excellent and the food was actually delicious. Had a great staff and experienced aloha from start to finish which isn’t always the case. I will definitely take this flight again. Only complaint, Hawaiian stubbornly refuses to install Wi-Fi. That's just stupid.
RouteLos Angeles to Kona
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"still recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Oakland to Kauai. Flight was pretty pleasant although we were sitting in the rear of the plane, which is not my favorite spot o the plane. You needed to download the Entertainment app, though , and then you had to buy the movies. I would still recommend this airline.
RouteOakland to Kauai
Date FlownOctober 2018

"cancelled with insufficient notice"

Trip Verified | Long Beach to Honolulu. Our flight was cancelled with insufficient notice, no explanation and in order to reroute us, we were charged $150.00. Also had to pay extra for car rental!
RouteLong Beach to Honolulu

"unreliable planes"

Not Verified | Sacramento to Honolulu. Soon there will be an alternative to flying Hawaiian out of Sacramento to Honolulu nonstop - Southwest will start in January and I will never fly Hawaiian again. Why do I detest Hawaiian so much? Because of their high prices, outdated and unreliable planes (frequent mechanical problems), packed seating, terrible entertainment (only option is their horrible Hawaiian music videos, which never vary noticeably), shameless hawking of their credit card to a captive audience, self-congratulatory preening because they serve a (terrible) "meal" in coach, and to cap it all off, undeviating penalties that hammer you whenever you need to alter a reservation.
RouteSacramento to Honolulu