Hawaiian Airlines

"Recommend for short inter island flights"

Trip Verified | Flow inter island from Honolulu to Hilo and back for a quick weekend trip. We came from the mainland and visited Oahu so we thought of visiting Hilo island. Flight from Honolulu to Hilo was good - at check-in, the name on the boarding pass didn't match as ID and TSA requested me to go visit Guest Services; they rectified the issue quickly. Boarding was quick and efficient. For a 35 minute flight passionfruit juice was served which was adequate. Flight took off on time, crew was very efficient in the service. Likewise for Hilo to Honolulu sector. Recommend Hawaiian for short inter island flights!!
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownMay 2022

"Little about this flight was impressive"

Trip Verified | We recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary and we wanted to fly to HNL, where we spent our Honeymoon. We purchased First Class R/T tickets on Hawaiian Airlines. Not much about the experience was impressive, and I wish we'd given that $7,000 to the Ukrainian war effort. The agent gave us the gate number but said nothing about the need to line up at the gate and be checked in for a wrist band to avoid having to get screened once we arrived in HNL. About 20 minutes prior to departure we realized that people were queuing up and receiving wrist bands, so we got in line. After having been in line for about 15 minutes, the same agent who had taken our bag at the ticket counter advised those of us still in line that it was too late to be issued a wrist band and walked away. Not only had all of the extensive online pre-clearance effort been a waste of time but we only ended up boarding the flight a few minutes before the doors were closed prior to departure. I was livid before we left the gate and worked hard to not let such a poor showing on their part ruin our vacation before we left the ground. Little about this flight was impressive. The lie-flat seats belong not in first class but in an intermediate class of service. They are 6 abreast in the cabin. The lack of wi-fi at this juncture is inexcusable. iPads for entertainment? Really? Were we eligible to use the first-class lounge? What about the frequent flyer miles? Where would we find them, and can we have Delta FFMs instead? And then there was the food. Two chicken thighs with the skin on in a forgettable sauce was in-edible for me, I never eat dark-meat poultry. That was the extent of the food until breakfast, which wasn't much better. There were no snacks served in between on a flight exceeding 10 hours. Had my wife not brought her extensive survival rations that she typically takes when she flies to Asia, we would have been starving by the time we got to HNL. The return flight was equally pathetic--essentially Chef Boy-R-Dee ravioli without the sauce. It was tasteless and so dry we couldn't eat it all, and it was not a generous serving. Breakfast: also pathetic, we stopped and ate at First Watch on the way home. Like the food, the service was forgettable. Actually, it was nearly non-existent. If you don't ring a call button you won't see a Flight Attendant between meal services. Beverage choice in First Class is quite limited. Hawaiian offers a level of service that resembles Southwest Airlines. Do not under any circumstances purchase a first class ticket. Neither their Agents nor Flight Attendants are trained to provide that level of service. Their cabin interiors are dated and not adequately maintained. There is no WiFi. In Flight entertainment is via iPad, which must be purchased in coach. There is little customer service available from the company - virtually nothing in real time. I've been waiting for a response from them via their website for over a month, which is why I elected to post this online. We liked the fact that we could fly non-stop between Orlando and Honolulu; for less money we could have flown on Delta and, given the lengthy maintenance delay on our return flight we would have spent no more time had we connected in any of their hubs. Bottom line: Don't expect Delta Service on Hawaiian Airlines.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteOrlando to Honolulu
Date FlownMarch 2022

"comfort of lie-flat seats great"

Trip Verified | Hawaiian’s location at Bradley Terminal at LAX is not good! Super long walk (20 min?) to gates. There are small carts available for part of the walk. Upon return, to get to baggage claim takes even longer and is very difficult with multiple escalators. First class on LAX-LIH was so bad (more like a coach seat) that we re-routed through HNL on return for lie-flat seats. Food was terrible, but service and comfort of lie-flat seats great!
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLos Angeles to Lihue via Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2022

"the food was very poor"

Not Verified | Staff are lovely but the food was very poor, you don’t even get a bread roll. I am a small person so I was ok but for a man not sure how they would go. However they were very generous when it came to wine.
RouteSydney to Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2022

"flight's service was appalling"

Not Verified | I flew to Hawaii from Las Vegas on Hawaiian Airlines. Only the ticketing and customer service are excellent. The flight's service was appalling. There was no options for vegetarian and vegan. I just napped on the plane from Honolulu to Las Vegas while they served dinner. They didn't bother to call me. When I inquired about food after 5 minutes, they abruptly informed me that no food will be served at this time. The strangest thing is that if I purchase with a credit card, they would deliver the food. This is inexcusable. During the journey, I only received a small amount of juice. The flight attendant was quite haughty and unprofessional. In general, they treat passengers as though they are travelling free of cost. In the future, I would not fly with Hawaiian Airlines.
AircraftHA0008
RouteHonolulu to Las Vegas
Date FlownApril 2022

"they provided no service"

Not Verified | Firstly, during the booking of the flight the reservationist confirmed that the tickets were for comfort plus seating. Upon arrival to gate, was advised that seats were standard cabin and would need to upgraded to comfort plus but unfortunately nothing was now available. We asked about upgrading to first class and was told we'd have to enter a bid. Sounded odd but this was the first time using this airline so not understanding. During the flight my seat was broken, reclined during take off and throughout the flight making it a very unsafe, uncomfortable and a frustrating flight. In additional to not having the seats we preferred, a seat that was broken, the stewardess had a open bottle of water with no cap and spilled water on my fiancée as she was attempting to give her trash wetting her entire left side blouse. She apologized but this only added to frustration. Upon arriving to the destination, we immediately went to check-in to advise of the trip and inquire about either upgrading to Comfort Plus, First Class or cancelling return flight. Was advised we'd need to contact reservations. This is the first time using Hawaiian Airlines, the first leg of our trip and would never use again especially considering the fact that when we called, they provided no service and didn't bother to do anything to fix the problem or accommodate our return flight.
RouteHonolulu to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Customer service is the worst"

(Japan)

Not Verified | Customer service is the worst I have ever experienced relative to other airlines. Their "live chat" is worthless and its near impossible to rebook a ticket. You can't do it yourself if it involves more than one city which is absurd. Changing a ticket booking because the airline canceled flight is a basic level of service that I should be able to do from my phone. If you are going to force me to have a representative to rebook my ticket then provide representatives that are available! I spent days waiting on phone lines and "Live Chat" rooms for such a simple task. If the tickets weren't so overpriced, I would of dumped the money and rebooked with another airline. I have no issues with the actual planes, flight attendants or workers of Hawaiian airlines but the company needs serious restructuring of its customer facing services.
RouteNaha to Honolulu
Date FlownMarch 2022

"it was literally like pulling teeth to get a refund"

Not Verified | I very rarely leave reviews as I feel it is easier to say things that have gone astray than to talk about the good things. However, when I booked a flight then cancelled it - it was literally like pulling teeth to get a refund. The agents for Hawaiian Airlines seem ill prepared and undertrained to handle any situation. Needless to say, this experience has made me tell everyone I know about what to expect when booking with this airline.
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"our flights had been canceled"

Trip Verified | They wouldn't let us fly to Hawaii because our COVID test was 80 hours ago so we missed our flight. Bought 2 one way tickets on Alaska airlines which was great. Then when leaving on Hawaiian our flights had been canceled. After an hour fixing that we were seated next to a screaming kid. We asked for ear plugs and the FA said sure but never brought them. So for 5 hours we would doze off and be awoken by a screaming kid. My first trip to Hawaii ended as the worse day of my life.
RouteKahului to Portland
Date FlownMarch 2022

"destroyed its customer service credibility"

Trip Verified | While staff are generally friendly on board Hawaiian Airlines flights, customer service for anything not in person is unforgivingly terrible. You will spend hours to get the most basic support like rescheduling a ticket. There call center lines occasionally out source to some foreign countries with people who barely speak English and it’s very disappointing. Hawaiian for then last decade used to be my preferred airlines, but with the death of island air and corporate greed caused by COVID you're better off flying Delta or Southwest. Very disappointed with how this company has destroyed its customer service credibility over a few thousand dollars? Corporate greed at it’s finest.
RouteKona to Honolulu