Hawaiian Airlines

"shouldn’t have to take two hours to recheck bags"

Not Verified | Worst airline. I had a 4 hour layover and needed to recheck my bags since i was transferring airlines. I spent an hour getting to Hawaiian Airlines check in since is in a different terminal? I guess Hawaiian Airlines with international flights instead of the domestic where i landed. I got there with my 5 bags from my extended trip and the check in was closed! Apparently they close 30min after each flight and open 2.5 hours before each flight. So I'm stuck here till 11:30pm for them to reopen. It shouldn’t have to take two hours to recheck bags. It’s ridiculous.
RouteLas Vegas to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2021

"The kiosks to check in were closed"

I fly regularly both international & domestic. I booked a quick inter island flight from Kauai (to Oahu where I live). For internet island travel the boarding pass says to check in 30 minutes before. My flight was at 7:45 so I was dropped off in front of the Hawaiian Airlines check-in at the Lihue airport at 7:15. I wasn’t checking a bag so literally just needed to complete the 30 second check in on the kiosk. The kiosks to check in were closed. When I went up to the counter the lights were off & the two agents were walking around the counter. They said “the counter closes at 7:15, no one was here. You can’t check in now.” I said “it’s literally 7:16 right now, I was here trying fo check in but your kiosks are closed.” The agent speaking to me was very rude saying “well we closed at 7:15, you were supposed to check in 30 minutes before your flight.” (which is what I was doing). When I asked what I could do she shrugged saying “we are closed, come back tomorrow.” I have never seen an airline close all it’s windows before the last flights leave and they should definitely put this on your boarding information and say 45 minutes or 60 minutes since they don’t disclose that they close beforehand. I had to pay for a ticket the next day & I think it’s completely unacceptable that this airline closed before their last flights take off and they were definitely closed before the 30 minute window and were not helpful to reschedule me. I will be using Mokulele from now on for any of my flights since there’s no aloha from this company.
RouteLihue to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Hawaiian airlines are the worst"

Not Verified | I had to change my kids tickets due to the new covid variant and the airlines charged $400 first time when the kids wanted to stay longer to participate in the community project and then yesterday they charged $700 to change the ticket as I did not feel comfortable leaving my kids at the island due to the new covid variant. Other airlines are so flexible at this time but Hawaiian airlines are the worst.
RouteOakland to Kauai
Date FlownDecember 2021

"worst experience on this airline"

Trip Verified | I had the worst experience on this airline. I am 18 years old and have flown quite a bit, both internationally and within the US. I am a female and I was on my period. I had run out of some stuff and needed to get to my sister who had some feminine products in her bag. She was on the other side of the plane all the way to the back. I quickly made my way back there trying to not get into anyone’s way. When I got there the flight attendants were getting ready to do the food runs so I moved out of their way. When I was ready to go back they were in the way so I sat in an empty seat to talk to my sister. I was then told I had to go back to my seat. I informed the flight attendant that I would as soon as they weren’t in the way of the isle. She argued for a bit then finally left it alone. As soon as the isle was clear I went back to my seat but was stopped by a flight attendant physically blocking my path and stopping me with her hand. I told her I wasn’t going to walk through there again and just was getting something from my sister. She then accused me of going back and forth over 3 times. I corrected her and she continued to complain about what i was doing even though I was not causing any problems. After the flight my sister told me she had also had issues with a different flight attendant. That makes 3 different attendants who were rude. When we got my sisters bag out of baggage claim it was soaked and the metal badge had been ripped off. They honestly were so rude and unkind it was shocking. I have never written a bad review because I try to assume people are doing their best, but this was just awful. I will never fly with them again.
RouteHonolulu to Sacramento
Date FlownNovember 2021

"totally unprofessional and arrogant"

Trip Verified | Worst service I have experienced! The check in agent notified me that there was a $30 fee per bag, no big deal, I said “you’ve got to be kidding me!”. Apparently, he thought I said something else and immediately got in my face, yelling, screaming, threatening etc.. Then proceeded to tell me my credit card, which I used 10 minutes prior, was bad, obviously trying to jerk me around and embarrass me in front of everyone else in line. I am a business manager, if one of my employees treated a customer in such a disrespectful manner, they would be fired on the spot! I will never use Hawaiian again nor recommend them to anyone! I do hope that management from Hawaiian Airlines makes necessary changes so that others do not have such a horrible experience. They are totally unprofessional and arrogant with the way they treat their paying customers!
RouteOakland to Kona via Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2021

"worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | My family and I were going to Honolulu in November. I purchased 5 tickets costing $1870 in August and tried to get a refund in September, 40 days before our flights were scheduled for. Hawaiian Airlines said they canceled the flights but the money would be credited to my account and needs to be used with the next year or forfeit your money. If that isn't the textbook definition of extortion then I don't know what is. All their tickets are non-refundable. You need to purchase a 3rd party insurance to protect your travel which I have. But why should I use the insurance when I didn't use the Airlines services. My hotel and rental car refunds were returned in one day. The customer agent lied to me and said when you purchase the tickets it says refundable or nonrefundable which it doesn't add she called me a liar. The worst customer service ever. I've written numerous complaints to Hawaiian Airlines all with returns saying they will not refund my money.
RouteSan Diego to Honolulu
Date FlownJune 2021

"Very disappointed with the treatment we received"

Trip Verified | I’ve flown Hawaiian Airlines for the first time twice now in the last two months. Flew first class both times and I will say the flight attendants and service were wonderful both times. The check-ins not so good! Both airports we ran into extremely rude check-in clerks. At Ontario’s check-in we had a male clerk that was extremely rude. He wouldn’t even look at our paperwork showing we’d been vaccinated and tested negative for COVID-19. Wasn’t about to help us and told us we’d have to get out of line to download our results even though one of our results had been downloaded. Isn’t his job to help? On the way back at Honolulu airport the clerk looked at us like she had doubts we were in first class even after showing her our boarding passes. Had the nerve to asked us twice and looked down her nose at us. I’m not sure what the problem is with their customer service, but they definitely need to work on it. I’ve worked with the public for over 45 years and know this is not how you treat your customers. Very disappointed with the treatment we received from them at their check-in counters.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteOntario, CA to Honolulu, HA
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Do not book on this airline"

Not Verified | We had to cancel our trip to our timeshare due to Covid restrictions (pretty much wear a mask everywhere and stay in your room). Governments new mandate 8/21. Hawaiian said due to Covid cancellations they will hold your ticket for your next trip. What they don’t tell you, is that they only waive the change fee, and you have to rebook within one year of your original booking date. In my case that was March 1, 2021. (With our timeshare we are only allowed to book 1 year in advance) Also, they will collect any additional fees if there is a change in your ticket cost. No accommodating for Covid/Government hotel/timeshares etc shut downs for restrictions. Do not book on this airline. I’m now out $500.
RouteSeattle to Oahu
Date FlownAugust 2021

"how bad this experience was"

Trip Verified | We arrived at the airport in Maui 4 hours before our flight was scheduled to depart to Oakland. It looked like they decided to have every flight for the day leaving all within a 2 hour window due to the extreme amount of people trying to check in. It took over 1 hour just to have 1 bag scanned through to check for fruit / agricultural items. Then we sat in line for 2 hours just to check in one bag. This line moved at a snails pace and only had 2 employees checking baggage in. I have never seen such a slow process in my life. It literally took around 10 minutes per person. There was no sense of urgency from any of the staff at any time. The lines grew so large that they stacked up down the street. I have 3 small children who had to stand in the heat the whole time.. Then we had to stand in another line to go through security. There must have been 500 people wrapped around the building. I had to beg another family to let us cut in line because our flight was about to leave and would have had to stand in line for at least another 3 hours. We somehow made it 5 minutes before boarding. The worst part of the day was the male flight attendant (Dark spiked hair, glasses, approximately 35-40). He must have been having a bad day because his customer service was terrible. He was rude, grumpy, pushy, conttoling, and had a poor attitude. He constantly baggered people about wearing their masks even though this was during the time they kept serving food and drinks. What are we supposed to do? Cut a hole in the mask for a straw? Overall just not the kind of person I would expect to be a flight attendant. I could tell that the other female staff members did not like working with him. Doesn't seem like someone that should be working in customer service. The flight from Oakland to Maui was wonderful. I work in customer service and depend financially on receiving good surveys. This is actually the first time I have written a negative review on anything online in my entire life, I never complain unless in person. So that should tell you how bad this experience was.
RouteMaui to Oakland
Date FlownAugust 2021

"procedure to again deplane us"

Trip Verified | Our 2 year old baby was required to wear a mark during the boarding of our flight from Honolulu to Boston. We, the parents, fully cooperated with the personal by putting on his mask, but he refused to use the mask because he was hungry and drinking his bottle in this moment. We made clear to the staff that he will be wearing his mark as soon as his finish his bottle but even though we were asked to deplane and stay in Honolulu at our own expenses. Our flight was rebooked to the next day. During the check-in and boarding time, we were given a special treatment by not only being allowed to do online check-in but also by being closely checked by the staff if our son was wearing the mask. As the feeding time of our son mashed with the boarding time, we faced a same situation as the day before. Our son woke up asking for his baby bottle. We gave the bottle already sat in the airplane. It resulted in a clear procedure to again deplane us (as we were threated).
RouteHonolulu to Boston