Hawaiian Airlines

"getting my suitcases last"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Seoul. I have flown Hawaiian Airlines many times. As a Pualani Platinum member I was able to compare my experiences every flight. Customer Service wise, ground staff are average and flight staff varies (some flights were great, some very disappointing). I travel First Class most of the time. Seat comfort and space is just alright, food is average. My major complaint is the baggage service. What’s the point of having a priority tag on your suitcases being in First Class or Platinum Member if you will receive it last anyway since they will prioritize connecting passengers? This is mostly on flights landing in HNL and mainland US. Other airlines I have flown with, when I have priority tags on my suitcases and/or flying premium cabins, I get my suitcase as soon as I arrive the baggage carousel. With Hawaiian Airlines, since most passengers are connecting to different islands or somewhere else, I always end up getting my suitcases last or almost last! That is very frustrating since you disembark first and gets to the baggage carousel first and you will be left there when almost everybody have collected their baggage. I really do not see the point of them putting priority tags for First Class passengers if they are not connecting anywhere and get their bags last anyway. It happened every single time and it is just really frustrating! I mostly travel long haul and all I want is a fast way to get home after a long flight. But no, my suitcases will come after all the economy connecting passenger baggage! Sorry Hawaiian Airlines, but compare to Emirates and Korean Air that I traveled in First Class, their First Class service really feels like First Class on everything especially giving you priority on mostly everything! To me, priority means “PRIORITY”!
RouteHonolulu to Seoul
Date FlownJune 2018

"Do not get conned by this airline"

Trip Verified | We purchased first class tickets for our 30th Anniversary trip. The flight over was what we expected, with comfortable seats, quality food, and good entertainment. The flight back, not so much! The airplane was downgraded to a smaller class, and we were given $300 vouchers at the gate for the 'inconvenience.' If you are ever in this situation, do not accept anything short of a full refund. The seat was broken; wouldn't recline without standing and pushing it back manually, and the leg rest did not work at all. The good was gross - there is just no other word for it. The flight attendants were not helpful in any way at all. The voucher can only be used for 12 months, is not transferable, and is a waste of paper. Do not get conned by this airline.
RoutePortland to Honolulu

"my bag too heavy"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Kona to Honolulu. The airline staff is clearly misusing its monopoly position for travel in hawsii. I was travelling with a trolley of +/- 12 kg and allowed cabin size. When boarding a check in agent lifted my bag and said "too heavy". I asked for a weight check on a scale but she refused and literal when i say it is too heavy it is too heavy? You have two options to check it to Honolulu or Narita. Totally unacceptable customer service and clearly an employee that does not have any competence in working with customers.
RouteKona to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"definitely fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Hilo. I flew Hawaiian on their B717 last March. I knew that the B717 was not a large aircraft and the flight was only 40 minutes long so I was not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised by the service and seats. The flight attendants were very fast if you asked for something and they were kind. The seat was pretty comfortable and there were only two seats on my side of the isle. I will definitely fly with them again.
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownMarch 2018

"service is so poor and slow"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Honolulu. The service this airline provides is so poor and slow. Starting with the customer service and pricing on my flight. My husband and myself both opened a Hawaiian airline credit card to take advantage of their 50,000 air miles promotion. I got my miles but my husband didn’t and when we called the customer service number the representative couldn’t give us an explanation as to what happened to his air miles. When we were in the airport the representative took approximately an hour to help two people in front of us. The experience we have had with this airline has been so stressful and unpleasant I’m planning on cancelling my credit card and never giving this airline my business again.
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2018

"in-flight service was also good"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Kauai. My wife and I went on a vacation to Kauai by Hawaiian Airlines. The flight time to the island from Los Angeles is 5.5 hours. The overall experience was very good. On a scale of 1 to 10, I will rate it as 9. The scheduled departure time was 8:00 AM and it departed exactly at that time and arrived at Lihue Airport also on time. The aircraft was new and the cabin was quiet inside. The inside was clean. The cabin crew were very courteous and professional. The in-flight service was also good. On the way to Kauai, they gave a light breakfast and soft drinks. In addition there was also coffee. On the return flight, which departed at 2:30 PM, they gave us chicken sandwich, which we could not eat as we are vegetarians. This is the only drawback i could find and that is the reason I am giving 9 instead of 10. The arrival at LAX was on schedule.
AircraftAirbus A321
RouteLos Angeles to Kauai
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I was not allowed to board"

Trip Verified | I was not allowed to board this flight because the Hawaiian Airlines representatives at the Honolulu Airport refused to recognize my US passport, which listed my name as given name first, then family name, as matching a reservation made in the Asian way, as last name first followed by given name. If Hawaiian Air wishes to continue offering flights to Asia, it needs to educate its staff about alternatives to the way names are listed in the US. Much of the world recognizes the last name first. Further, the woman at the counter was nasty, rude. I demanded to see her supervisor, who was unaware of naming conventions. For international flights, I would not recommend this airline.
RouteHonolulu to Seoul via Honolulu

"worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | The first issue, the flight from Sydney to Honolulu. Couldn't go online to check-in until 24 hours before the flight, when I did login no seats available! I had been auto allocated a seat, same booking but my husband had not! At the airport the next day my husband was finally allocated a seat at the back of the plane row 47, I was seated in row 22! This was rectified just prior to boarding, not the best seats but we were seated together so this was appreciated. The return flight was a nightmare. They had automatically seated my husband & I in seats 25E & 26E, not together & stuck in the middle of the middle rows. (I have had bowel surgery so this option would have been extremely irritating to whoever sat next to me in seat F) No economy seats available so I was forced to pay an extra $125 USD each to sit in their 'economy premium seats' the only ones left 14c & 14d. Seat 14c, at the front of the section so not much legroom as there is a wall in front! 14c is on the aisle halfway in front of the door leading to the bathroom & service area with a constant flow of passengers passing & knocking me as they passed. The seat was broken & would not recline, so no sleep for me. On takeoff there was one meal selection, teriyaki chicken! The snack prior to landing was half an egg sandwich & half a ham & cheese sandwich. I'm fairly certain those sandwiches were more than one day old! Various other issues, service below par, water was not offered during the flight, well I should say the staff ran through the aisles with cups & water but they rushed past so fast most passengers missed out! To top this off I asked for a gin & tonic, they don't have gin, only scotch or vodka, I opted for a white wine instead which was terrible! So only water for me. Did I enjoy my flight, no! Did my husband enjoy his flight, no. Overall, this was the worst flight experience we have ever experienced! Incidentally, we have flown to Hawaii 12 times in the last 10 years. We have flown Hawaiian at least 4 times previously, last time in 2016, same trip and was happy with all details of our flight. Not this time!
RouteHonolulu to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2018

"delayed hours or canceled"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Lanai. 75% of flights I've taken or tried to take have been delayed hours or canceled all together. The worst part are the continual mechanical issues on this small aging fleet. Just several days ago the cabin filled with smoke and had to divert back to HNL. My advice, fly into OGG Kahului Maui, Uber or taxi over lo Lahaina and take the ferry. It may be more costly but you will feel safer and could very well beat the time you will lose during idle at the gate. You might even see some whales and dolphins on a side benefit.
AircraftATR42
RouteHonolulu to Lanai

"Will never fly again!"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to Honolulu. Terrible plane. Old. Bathrooms didn’t lock. Watched several people walk in on others using the bathroom. Plane was dirty. Update your planes. Played hula dancers the whole flight on the one TV in the cabin. Will never fly again!
RouteSacramento to Honolulu