Hawaiian Airlines

"marketing ploy to get passengers to buy"

Trip Verified | New York to Honolulu. The flight left on schedule and the flight was same as the one we had from Honolulu to New York few days prior. One thing I did notice was that they first went through the the drink and food cart to sell them. Then, they went through the second time providing the meal with complementary alcoholic beverages and drinks. I got little confused at first on the first run of the of the food cart with the accompanying announcement thinking I had to purchase the drinks and food until the the meal cart came through. Probably a marketing ploy to get passengers to buy. Anyway, given that US domestic services offered by all airlines including the big three operate on budget airline model of charging for everything, it is to be expected if you live in the States. Other than that, for other aspects of the flight my previous comments stand.
AircraftA330-200
RouteNew York to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"big disappointment was the IFE"

Trip Verified | Sydney to New York via Honolulu. First time flying on Hawaiian Airlines after more than 20 years of not flying with them. Flight leg from Sydney to Honolulu was full. Unique part of the airline is the Hawaiian culture it promoted in the background music, style of food offered during the flight, and the flight attendant uniform. Having lived in Honolulu during my early 20's with many local friends, it does bring back memories. However, staying on the subject at hand, the seats were average quality, food was better than average for the most part, alcoholic beverage was free, and the service was as expected of an average carrier. One negative is the time between serving and picking up the tray is too short. If they have another 10-15 minutes that would have been comfortable time given for a meal. The one big disappointment was the IFE. The selection was limited and you could not play until after the plane had taken off and the IFE was stopped about 30 minutes before landing. They could learn from carriers like Air NZ, Emirates, Qantas, and Virgin Australia and update their system to play IFE from the moment the passengers board to disembark when they land. After all, they are competing with some of these carriers from Australia to US. As we were transferring to another A330 in Honolulu to New York, the baggage transfer information was provided on the plane and it was easy to locate the counter after the Customs. We left Honolulu on time and the flight to New York was pretty much a repeat of our journey from Sydney to Honolulu.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSydney to New York via Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"fly another airline if you can"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Kona via Honolulu. My wife is terminally ill. In May 2019, I purchased two first class round trip tickets from Kona Hawaii to JFK NYC for medical treatment. I paid $8800 for these two tickets. I had to cancel for emergency medical reasons. I was issued a voucher for the $8800. In July, I attempted to use the voucher to buy tickets for the same route. The online price was $8800 but they wouldn’t accept the voucher. I had to call customer service. I was told that the same tickets that I was looking at online would cost me $17,000 because I was using a voucher. I decided to go to Las Vegas on Hawaiian and then on to NYC on their partner airline, Jet Blue. They told me that I couldn’t use the voucher to travel with Jet Blue. I asked for two first class tickets r/t from Kona to Vegas and back. The cost for these two tickets was $3400. Hawaiian told that I could only use the voucher once and that they would be keeping the remaining $5400. When I asked why, I was rudely told to “go read your contract”! The trip from Kona to Vegas was mediocre, the food on the menu some foreign unpronounceable dish. I asked for bread and butter but they didn’t have any. The return trip from Vegas to Kona was horrible. I arrived at the airport an hour before takeoff, at 08:30. Hawaiian told the rental car shuttle bus driver that they didn’t have any wheelchair available. I went into the terminal and there must have been 10 wheelchairs at the Hawaiian check in kiosk. After getting my wife in the terminal, when I went to check in, at 08:45. I was told that they had released my two tickets and the aircraft doors were already closed! I immediately said “it’s 45 minutes before takeoff” and the attendant replied “you are not going to make it through TSA” and “your luggage will never make it in time”. She checked us in and notified the boarding gate that we were on the way and that our tickets should be reinstated, it’s was now 08:50. The SAS personnel at McCarran Airport were outstanding. They rushed my wife in a wheelchair, through TSA, on the tram and around the terminal to the boarding gate. We got there at 09:05 and they had just started board the main cabin. The flight left on time but again the meal was some unpronounceable name. I asked for bread and butter and was offered a croissant. When we got to Honolulu, it was raining, This time Hawaiian provided a wheelchair but I had to push my wife through the terminals. The connecting flight was delayed for almost an hour and the boarding gate had been changed but no announcement was made. Upon arrival in Kona it was pouring rain. My wife was transported off the aircraft and I was asked if I would mind pushing her wheelchair through the rain to baggage claim. So if you are thinking of flying first class with Hawaiian, save yourself a lot of money and fly in the main cabin. As a matter of fact, fly another airline if you can. The service is the same but the tickets are a little cheaper. As for me, I will never fly on Hawaiian Airlines again.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLas Vegas to Kona via Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"a very positive experience"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Kona. I expected much less. First time on Hawaiians new narrow body aircraft across the Pacific. I had a very positive experience. Very comfortable seating (far better then Delta or American or United on similar aircraft). The service was excellent and the food was actually delicious. Had a great staff and experienced aloha from start to finish which isn’t always the case. I will definitely take this flight again. Only complaint, Hawaiian stubbornly refuses to install Wi-Fi. That's just stupid.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLos Angeles to Kona
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"still recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Oakland to Kauai. Flight was pretty pleasant although we were sitting in the rear of the plane, which is not my favorite spot o the plane. You needed to download the Entertainment app, though , and then you had to buy the movies. I would still recommend this airline.
RouteOakland to Kauai
Date FlownOctober 2018

"cancelled with insufficient notice"

Trip Verified | Long Beach to Honolulu. Our flight was cancelled with insufficient notice, no explanation and in order to reroute us, we were charged $150.00. Also had to pay extra for car rental!
RouteLong Beach to Honolulu

"unreliable planes"

Not Verified | Sacramento to Honolulu. Soon there will be an alternative to flying Hawaiian out of Sacramento to Honolulu nonstop - Southwest will start in January and I will never fly Hawaiian again. Why do I detest Hawaiian so much? Because of their high prices, outdated and unreliable planes (frequent mechanical problems), packed seating, terrible entertainment (only option is their horrible Hawaiian music videos, which never vary noticeably), shameless hawking of their credit card to a captive audience, self-congratulatory preening because they serve a (terrible) "meal" in coach, and to cap it all off, undeviating penalties that hammer you whenever you need to alter a reservation.
RouteSacramento to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2018

"flight attendants did not interact with the passengers"

Trip Verified | Maui to Sydney via Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines. This 12.50 pm flight left Honolulu on time. Once we were in the air we were instructed to close all the window blinds and the meal was served immediately. The flight attendants then turned out the lights and disappeared for the remainder of the flight. (In the main cabin, in any case, perhaps the experience in business class was different.) They have a lounge built into the middle of the plane, and they spent the entire flight taking turns slipping in and out of it while ignoring the passengers. Meanwhile, we spent the entire 11-hour, daytime flight in the dark, with window blinds down and all the lights turned out. I felt like the intention was to make it feel like night time so everyone would sleep and not be a bother. Other than breezing down the aisle with a water bottle a couple of times, the flight attendants did not interact with the passengers in the main cabin until they came around with the second-service sandwiches - one hour before landing. Seven and a half hours into the flight I caught up with one of the attendants as he was unlocking the lounge for his turn inside, and asked him about food. Without looking at me he said he didn't know what time it was but the food was usually served 1.5 to 2 hours before landing. He then turned his back and slipped into the lounge, locking the door behind him. An hour and a half before landing there was some activity in the galley but still no food. By this time it had been 8 hours since the meal, with nothing offered in between but water. I went back and asked if we were going to be getting our sandwiches and I was cheerfully told it was coming. Half an hour later - one hour before landing on an 11-hour flight - they passed out sandwiches, then started through with the drink cart. The automated overhead message saying food service was ending due to proximity of landing came on while they were doing this. So, basically, for an 11-hour daytime flight the flight attendants served the meal immediately, turned out all the lights and disappeared until one hour before landing. They spent the entire flight taking turns in their private lounge and otherwise staying completely out of sight, then reappeared for the second meal service as we were about to land. I know the flight attendants are there primarily for safety and the customer service part of it may seem, to them, secondary. But for passengers, whether a long flight is bearable or unbearable rests largely on the quality of the crew. I felt in this case they planned the flight for their own convenience and comfort and didn't care about their passengers even a little. I would never book a long flight on Hawaiian again, and I wouldn't recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteMaui to Sydney via Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2019

"carbohydrates in the breakfast"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Honolulu. We boarded the plane on Sunday August 18 2019. Everyone was very nice. Until we encounter a rude flight attendant. I called for her attention very politely. She, on the other hand, was annoyed by me even calling her over. My question was how many carbohydrates were in the complimentary breakfast. As a type 1 diabetic is very important for me to know. Well, she was extremely rude, no intention to even try to figure out how many carbs the breakfast had. Again the entire time she seem annoyed. But later we saw her being completely different with the family in front of us. She was nice, talkative and polite. I am extremely upset that the do not provide the nutritional facts for food which legally they should.
RouteSan Diego to Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2019

"it has strongly improved"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Kahului. After previous hard experiences with inter-islands Hawaiian service, I must confess that it has strongly improved. Baggage rules are now clear. Ground staff is ready to help you to comply with them. Boarding was not chaotic anymore. As usual FA were helpful and smiling. Maybe Southwest Airlines completion on this monopoly market is resulting in a positive effect.
RouteHonolulu to Kahului