Hawaiian Airlines

"never fly another airline"

Trip Verified | Maui to Seattle. We will never fly another airline to Hawaii. I was not seated in first class but it sure felt like I was. Nicki made sure I had everything I needed as well as got me hot water, cup of noodles and my free mai tai. Asked us how we were and was so pleasant.
RouteMaui to Seattle
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"characteristics of aloofness"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Honolulu. I've flown Hawaiian Airlines twice, once each domestically and internationally. Never again, if I can help it. The queue times at the gate aren't particularly long, as the flights are boarded efficiently. The meals are fine, in my experience. The entertainment options have some interesting public interest sort of programs about Hawaiian life and culture. But the staff, whether at check-in, the gate or on the plane, work efficiently, they're robotic. Meaning, they seem to exude the characteristics of aloofness and just being miserable. They're doing their jobs obligatorily, so obviously, and they just don't seem to enjoy serving customers. I don't have an explanation as to why, as they're shuttling passengers to and from paradise. Maybe Hawaiian doesn't treat their staff well?
RouteAuckland to Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"the inflight service is very basic"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Sydney with Hawaiian Airlines. We purchased seats in the quiet comfort row as I was travelling with my wife and 2 children aged 5 and 1 to ensure we had space to let them sleep and allowed for more leg room. Boarding was smooth and staff friendly. However the inflight service is very basic. The major problem is the inflight service. They serve a meal as you reach cruising altitude and then another just before landing. This leaves around 6 hours of no food or refreshments or something to break up the 10 hour flight. They do offer additional food to be bought which a lot of passengers were taking up due to the time gaps between meals. This was a day flight so not alot of people were sleeping. The staff occasionally walk around to offer water but it was up to individuals to be proactive if they wanted anything more. Given the time between meals, it would be good to see them bring drink options through the aisles as the attendants mainly were sitting around chatting (at least I perceived this). When you compare to other airlines, it just appears unprofessional. The staff were pleasant and friendly but it was just the level of service I would say is sub par. Meals were very ordinary and there is no choice of meal either so be prepared to eat whatever they have, ie no vegetarian or kids meals etc. The big appeal was baggage limit i.e 2 X 32kg checked luggage and the extra comfort, you really do get extra leg room. They provided an amenity kit but I didn't have.much use for it. Inflight entertainment was ok but not a large depth of films/shows considering its 10 hrs there and 10 hrs back.
RouteHonolulu to Sydney

"a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Kona. We planned a Hawaiian trip a couple of weeks before the Christmas holidays. We booked Hawaiian Airlines through a third party website, paying a premium price for the tickets as a result. We did not realize that it was main cabin basic - which the cheapest class on the fare list. We had a terrible experience with the onward and the return journey. It seems that the airline has no regard for customers that have this class of tickets. They treat them as if they are doing them a favor and are very rude. They treat you as a zone 6 - which is the last to board. During our onward journey, they told us that we cannot carry our cabin bags as the flight was full. We were ok to check-in all of the cabin bags except one as it had costly camera equipment. The ‘agent’ as they call them was so arrogant that she told that she would re-book us on another flight if we were not ready to check-in that bag too. I then asked what if the equipment gets damaged, she was haughty and said we could claim it later! I am astonished by the disregard she had for customers. We had an equally bad experience on our return journey too. The airline does not allow you to choose seats during check-in because of the class. I had injured my leg and needed assistance, so we called in the customer service to request them to seat us together. They told us that they would service the request at the gate. At the gate, the agent again said he would process our request when it comes, and it was placed last (mostly because of the fare class). He then said that by the time he got to the request, all the seats were taken and could give both aisle seats. Once we boarded, another agent came and made us change our seats, seating us far apart in spite of telling her my situation. She also was haughty and said to us that we were not assigned seats in the first place! We wished we had never flown this airline. The agents have an attitude towards so-called `cheap` ticket class - I wonder why do they even have it in the first place if they loathe them. I will never again fly with this airline.
RouteSan Francisco to Kona
Date FlownDecember 2019

"asked me to pay the NZeTA "

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Auckland in May 2019. Traumatic experience with Hawaiian airline. At the time of Check in they asked me to pay the NZeTA of USD12 but I was in possession of a working holiday visa to New Zealand that allowed me to be free of NZeTA. I showed them on the website of New Zealand government that I was exempted in case of possession of the Working Holiday Visa. He did not want to hear me telling me to pay not to talk. In Auckland I explained my situation, what happened in Hawaii with them to New Zealand immigration, they were surprised.
RouteHonolulu to Auckland
Date FlownDecember 2019

"This is total rubbish and disgusting"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Seattle. I will never fly Hawaiian Airlines nor I will recommend anyone to fly this Airline. We have a little one under 2 and we called Hawaiian Airlines customers service to confirm. During that time the customer service agent assigned our seat in the middle row. I asked specifically to have a window or aisle seat. When we boarded we realized the customer the service agent assigned us in the middle. The flight was full so the gate agent couldn't change it either. This is total rubbish and disgusting. Never again I will fly Hawaiian Airlines.
RouteHonolulu to Seattle
Date FlownNovember 2019

"thumbs down to Hawaiian Airlines"

Trip Verified | Hawaiian Airlines is awful! Most of their US based locations do not have a club lounge and when you arrive to Honolulu to transfer to another flight they do not honor your first class upgrade. Also, the boarding process is awful. You pay more but you board after about 25 to 50 people. So, save your money and do not book with Hawaiian Airlines! You get treated way better in other airlines. The staff at the lounge in Honolulu was extremely rude. So, thumbs down to Hawaiian Airlines.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2019

"it’s always been great before today"

Not Verified | Two of us bought round trip tickets for Oahu with the same confirmation number. Flew from Maui to Honolulu at 6.10 am. Return was for 6.30 pm. Mid trip, Hawaiian Airlines changed my confirmation number mid trip! I could check in my boyfriend but not me. Then Hawaiian Airlines gave me attitude after talking to two reps. All they could do was try (3 times) looking for my confirmation number. I had to spell it out about 6 times. Then they couldn’t even check me in. Said I had to go back online. That is the worst process and stupidest customer service I’ve ever had. I have flown Hawaiian Airlines several times, and it’s always been great before today.
RouteHonolulu to Maui
Date FlownOctober 2019

"unprofessional and horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Boston. Horrendous experience. My flight was delayed and after waiting on the plane for hours, they changed my flight. They gave me a different itinerary so now I had American Airlines for my second flight. Once I arrived at my layover destination, American Airlines tells me they cannot find my ticket. They call Hawaiian and Hawaiian says I’m supposed to take Jetblue even though the paper they gave me says American Airlines. They refuse to do anything about it. I did not even get an apology for their mistake. They told me I had to take it up with Jetblue. Extremely unprofessional and horrible customer service. They do not care.
RouteHonolulu to Boston
Date FlownOctober 2019

"provided minimum customer service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I flew with premium economy seat from Auckland to Honolulu. (11 hour journey). The leg room and the seat was reasonably good. I was so shocked when I saw how small and tight the economy seats behind me were. (Seats and leg room are much smaller than usual.) Food was just a pack of cold sandwich and juice for the whole journey. Flight attendants basically disappeared in between food time. No conversation, not many smiles on their face, no interaction with passengers. They provided minimum customer service. During my return journey (back to Auckland). I was not feeling well and had a temperature. I decided to upgrade myself to First Class so I could lay down and have some rest. The upgrading process was done over the counter at the airport. Staff: no smiles but got it done very quickly. Returning flight: Seat was able to fully decline to a flatbed. The service was so different from those premium economy or economy. Flight attendants made conversation with those first class passengers with a smile. What a surprise! Food is average but of course it is considered to be much better than the cold sandwich and packed juice. I fedback to the flight attendant that my blanket smelt awful and requested to change to another one. It smelt like it hadn't been washed for at least more than a month. She replied me saying that there was no spare blanket around, so she couldn't do anything. Giving me that kind of "Take it or leave it" attitude and just walked away. I was so disappointed. They called it "First Class cabin". I was feeling so cold the whole journey. Bear in mind that I was not feeling well and this experience was really poor. Yes, I agreed that the cost of their airtickets are slightly cheaper than other airlines but I would not fly with them anymore. I rather pay a bit more to get at least reasonable service.
Seat TypeFirst Class