Hawaiian Airlines

"Terrible experience"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Kahului. Terrible experience trying to get refund for canceling travel for medical reason. We thought the mask mandate would be over when we booked our flight. Due to high blood pressure and retina vein occlusion and some loss of eyesight my husband cannot wear a mask for 14 hours. We thought the mandate would be over by now so called to cancel. The will not give a refund or rescheduled. Reschedule has to be in 3 months which we cannot get back by then and hope for mandates to end by then either. We were charged almost $400 to go one way for two of us between HNL and Maui. Refund for situations that you cannot control are non-existent and prices rather high. No consideration for doctor report of risk for flying extended time with mask.
RouteHonolulu to Kahului
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I love Hawaiian airlines"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Los Angeles. The trip from LAX to Honolulu was superb. The food was amazing, the service was wonderful, and the lay-flat seats were glorious. I am grateful for their mask and vaccine mandate as it made me feel safer since this is my first time traveling again since Feb of 2020. The trip back from Honolulu to LAX was good, but this time the food was disgusting. They are supposed to have some serious chefs that do their food and I would have given them kudos for the first trip. But the food coming back tasted about as good as it looked. It was supposed to be coq au vin (wine-braised chicken) with green onion chickpea cake. Well, the chicken was the stuff you leave after stripping away the meat from the chicken - the left-over giblets with gristle, fat, and skin. Yuk. The green onion cake had absolutely no flavor at all. You might as well have eaten a piece of the polyester pillow. And those little bitter mushroom things that looked like worms? What are they thinking? Seriously. A true chef understands that there must not only be flavor, there must be a visual appeal. This meal ruined the entire trip and tasted about as good as it looked. I nearly got sick to my stomach. My mother (who usually eats anything) also thought it was repulsive. YUK!! Overall I love Hawaiian airlines and I would fly with them again but they need to get a grip on the food. To Hawaiian Airlines: When you try too hard to give people the "fru fru" stuff you miss the ball altogether. Give us some meat with veggies and a vegan option and call it good. No need for the weird stuff. And you'll save some money by avoiding expensive disgusting ingredients too. Stick to the basics. A happy tummy is a happy customer.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHonolulu to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Worst customer experience calling them"

Trip Verified | Not really specific for the flight information provided above, but when I tried to travel the next time (tried to book / cancel). On my previous trip, the flight was delayed by 12+ hours. Due to this, we received travel credits of $300 each for the next flights. Now trying to use this credit to book the trip, and wasted hours and hours due to it. Booked a flight that is 2-3 months away from now to KOA (Kona airport), so I thought the ticket price would be pretty stable. We booked the flight through the Hawaiian website, used up all the credit to save up so we ended up paying $118 each (it was $418 - $300 credit). The next day, we saw the price dropped to $358 per ticket, so we contacted customer service (the call was on hold 30+ min) to either get our price matched or cancel the flight. The customer service representative said I can get $418 full refunded to my credit card, which really didn't make sense so I confirmed it multiple multiple times and the associate confirmed that that is going to be the case. After a week, I only see $118 posted on my card. Contacted them again waiting 30+min again, they said they did refund $418 to the card and asked me to contact my credit card bank to confirm the refund amount. Did that and American Express confirmed that they only see $118 from Hawaiian. Called Hawaiian again, holding 30+ min again, and finally, they transferred to the supervisor (which took another 30+ min). Finally, the supervisor says they cannot do a full refund since $300 was charged by travel credit, and they can re-send the travel credit via email. I complained about my wasted time and also told him to please educate the customer service associate about this non-refundable travel credit information so people like me don't have to waste their precious time, and the supervisor just hung up on me without any answer! I don't know when or whether I'll be receiving my credit, and I really don't want to call them again for the credit not received yet, but I may have to. Worst customer experience calling them, never had a clean flight with them, plus they are usually more expensive than other airlines, so I'd highly highly recommend flying with some other airline.
RouteSeattle to Honolulu
Date FlownMarch 2021

"attendants were all very nice and cheerful"

Trip Verified | Used Hawaiian Airlines for a day trip on Tuesday 02/15/22 from HNL to OGG to visit hubby's family there. Hawaiian Airlines use all of Terminal 1 in HNL airport. Announcements were made frequently regarding flight status and gate updates, really good. Boarding is quite organized and people were called to board by zones. The airplane for flight HA 216 was N488HA, a 23 years old B712. We opted for the over wing emergency exit with extra legroom. The seats are very standard plastic backed type and at the emergency exit the tray tables were located in the armrest. However since the trip only takes minutes we don't really have the need for the tray table. We only bring our backpacks for the flight and were able to put them under the seat in front of us. The overhead bins are on the small side, and based on its size can accommodate slimmer carryon only. We depart around 15 minutes later than schedule (which is a big deal for the 20-30 minutes inter island flights like these) however we land around 5 minutes ahead of schedule. The flight attendants were all very nice and cheerful, and within a short 20-25 minutes flight were able to serve us drink (water or a delicious POG juice cocktail - Passion fruit-Orange-Guava) and collect all the trash within minutes, and we are ready for landing.
RouteHonolulu to Kahului
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"enjoyed our flight with them"

Trip Verified | We flew Hawaiian Airlines back to HNL after a day trip to Kahului to visit hubby's cousin there. The flight HA 395 OGG-HNL was using N484HA, a 23 years old B712. The incoming airplane arrived early but there was still another airplane at its designated gate; and after waiting for a few minutes they were able to use a different gate so there will be no delay. A relief, since we have to catch a flight out from HNL later that night. Boarding was quite orderly and we were boarded by zones. The flight left on time and arrived in HNL around 10 minutes early. The FAs in this flight were very nice and cheerful, and they have good interactions with the passengers. Within 20-25 minutes flight the FAs were able to serve water or juice for passengers, collect all the trash and getting ready to land again. Hawaiian Airlines is a good airline to use for short island hop trips like this, and we enjoyed our flight with them.
AircraftB712
RouteKahului to Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Never will I fly Hawaiian Airlines"

(US Virgin Islands)

Trip Verified | Never will I ever fly Hawaiian airlines even if they let me fly for free! Our family was stop at the boarding gate because we had shopping bags and purse, saying they only allow 1 carry on 1 personal items. So if you went shopping they count that as a personal item so you can’t bring it on the plane. Doesn’t everyone go shopping for souvenirs? How is one suppose to bring it back? How about food n snacks if you carry the snack in your hands it’s also consider as a personal item. Even my small Fanny pack was consider a personal item so I ask what do they want me to do they rudely reply as “that’s for you to figure out!” While rolling their eyes. Never will I fly Hawaiian Airlines.
RouteHawaii to Sacramento
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Very friendly efficient staff"

Trip Verified | Still 2-2-2 seating and no wi fi but other than that a great flight. Very friendly, efficient staff served a nice meal and snacks later on along with drinks and regular cabin pass through checks. IFE is clumsy and limited but fine for five hours. Seat is comfortable and does recline. They need a more world class front cabin but the aloha goes a long way
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"never book with Hawaiian again"

Trip Verified | Booking with Hawaiian is a nightmare. Tried booking on the website using our Hawaiian miles but couldn’t because of a website error. Had to call and book the reservation instead. Took 3 hours just to get through to someone. Finally was able to book the reservation only to see that my card was charge 3 times. Called again, waited 4 hours, tossed around from operator to operator each one telling me they were unable to refund. After 12 hours finally got to someone who told me they could request a refund for me. Fine. Two days later I see they charge me 2 more times! And the nightmare continues. Once again calling and being told they cannot refund me. I will never book with Hawaiian again.
RouteHonolulu to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"HAL got us where we needed - eventually"

Trip Verified | We had booked a multi-leg trip through Delta that used "Partner" Hawaiian Airlines (HAL) between islands. For their part, HAL got us where we needed - eventually...but not without a lot of wasted vacation time and unnecessary anxiety. 1) An hour before check-in for the next day's flight to Kona we get a text from HAL that our flight was cancelled. Okay, cutting slack for COVID or whatever reason (none was given) we were still worried about how to continue the next leg of our trip. We had no place to stay if we couldn't travel, and expensive reservations waiting the next day. They gave us a Toll-Free number to "call", after hours of trying, all we got was busy signal and we never got through. There was no way to rebook on HAL website, since ticketing was through Delta. So, spending 4 hours on hold getting through to Delta we rebooked for a later HAL flight - but had to pay fare difference, even though it wasn't our fault we had to make a flight change. 2) Arriving at the airport, HAL was a mess. Although our reservation included checked bags, they insisted we had to pay because, "we're not Delta Airlines." I get that, but we paid Delta - who already paid HAL for our seats and baggage. 3) Finally getting on the plane, there were a ton of open seats. My guess is the earlier cancellation wasn't COVID related, just saving expense to consolidate flights. We were in Economy seats and after boarding, all Exit Rows were open. On any other airline, we've been allowed to move to open seats, but not on HAL. At first, the flight attendant said we couldn't sit there because of Exit Row requirements. I responded, "as long as we meet Exit Row requirements, why can't we sit there?" His response, "more money." I get it, they market them as Premium seating. After cancelled flights, additional charges and vacation time lost, the least HAL could have done was let us sit there. The Customer Service value would cost them nothing. No. Who sat there instead? Uniformed HAL employees, probably being repositioned. I'm not begrudging that staff deserves to be treated well, but aren't we the paying customers? Through everything it seemed the message HAL was sending was, we don't need you - you need us - so live with it. Easy fix - Obviously, HAL had our cell numbers, because they texted us that the flight was cancelled, due to low occupancy. It would have been easier for them to simply put us on another flight and tell us of the time change. Better yet, since there were only about 30 people booked, they could have called us. Rather than have us keep calling their toll-free and never getting through, one of their agents could have called us (same amount of time on the phone for their agents). We paid a premium for everything on this trip, costs were about 30% higher than in the past. We knew that going in. The cost of more than a half-day of lost vacation time and toll of having your itinerary cancelled mid-trip - priceless.
RouteHonolulu to Kona
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Impossible to reach customer service"

Trip Verified | Impossible to reach customer service. They canceled my flight but I can't reach anyone to receive a refund. When I did finally get someone on the phone, the call was disconnected before a refund was processed. They didn't call me back and the wait to speak to a representative no matter when I call is almost two hours long. I've tried both chat and text customer service options. They responded over 36 hours later when I was asleep and closed the thread before I responded a couple hours later. This has happened three times! Not even given a chance to respond and I still do not have a flight or a refund!
RouteHonolulu to Hilo