Hawaiian Airlines

"Cabin crew not great"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Honolulu. First time in Economy class for a while so possibly a bit biased. The seat adequate and nothing more. Reclined seat in front unexpectedly claustrophobic. Cabin crew not great to be honest, appeared disorganized and not friendly at all until leaving the aircraft. Food was dreadful on any scale for a 9hr flight. Otherwise ok and on time.
RouteAuckland to Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2019

"I would avoid Hawaiian Airlines"

Trip Verified | The new non stop Hawaiian Airlines route between Boston and Honolulu cost me more than $1,900. It started out at the boarding gate with about six employees looking everywhere but at their customers. Only one overwhelmed woman had a clue. It seemed that they were too busy training their other employees. Holding a first class ticket I expected that when it was time to board there would be an announcement . Nope. Instead they called that they were boarding anyone who needed special assistance. Ok. Like people who are elderly or in wheel chairs get to board first....this wasn't the case...They let about 25 kids and their parents board in coach first ..while I waited and waited. I'm sorry but 30 people sitting in coach should not take priority over your first class customers except if someone is actually handicapped. Bad start. After boarding I was offered a drink. The seat was nice although no one greeted me to tell me how the the seat worked. No one greeted me by my name. There are only a handful of first class passengers. Jet Blue Mint first class greets you as soon as you board..by your name and they take the time to show you how your seat works. (Jet Blue Mint cross country is as little as $499.) Next came the flight attendant who requested I order my food for the entire 12 hour flight including what I wanted to drink. Ok but I'm not sure at 9am what I want to drink 10 hours latter. I ordered the "Veggie" option. When the first meal arrived it was a soggy quiche, stale bready croissant, unripe boring melon and get this..a glass of red wine. She put the food down and disappeared. Next came the 13 inch iPad entertainment they passed out. They had a few good movies and I watched The Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. I was hungry again after the poor quality breakfast and was informed that all they have is potatoes chips and the next meal won't be served until an hour before we arrive in Honolulu about ten hours later. But a flight attendant came thru first class selling box snacks. Really? $1900 dollars one way and they are selling me a snack because I'm still hungry? I passed. A little while latter I walked back to Premium Comfort and asked the flight attendant there (because the first class flight attendants had blocked off their station with a table of potato chips and disappeared for most of the flight) if I could possible get something to eat. Her cold response: "You are in first class go up there." OK so I go back and ask the flight attendant if I can have a snack box. She says "I'm busy now changing over the flight deck, I'll just be a minute". After listening to her and a male crew member laugh and talk for at least 15 minutes I determined that she completely forgot about me. I went up and asked again. She apologized and brought me a complimentary snack box that had a few chips and two bites of hummus in it. I was never offered anything to eat again until about 10 hours later when the main meal arrived. I looked across at the "veggie" meal that my fellow passenger was eating and thought oh boy that looks mushy and I think I ordered the wrong thing. Not to worry because when she brought my food she brought me the wrong meal and I was given a dry semi cold piece of chicken and stale bread with one piece of butter. No one ever came by and asked me if I wanted anything else. I would avoid Hawaiian Airlines in the future. Its only good for the seat. Service dialed in, food poor. First class? Not.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteBoston to Kauai via Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2019

"seats in economy class are really cramped"

Not Verified | I have travelled on most of the major airlines all over the world and by far this is the worst airline I have come across. This was my first trip to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines. The seats in economy class are really cramped. They just want to make money out of anything and everything. They asked for $10 for a simple blanket. Entertainment system sucks. They ask you to download their stupid entertainment app, which of course, worked only with in-flight wifi. And, lo, you have to buy packages if you want to watch anything. I have never had experience with any airlines so far that asks money for in-flight entertainment. The snacks they offer have no choice. If you ask them to replace the meat item with a veg then you will get a simple answer - this is all we have. C'mmon do you expect anyone that boards your flight, to eat meat? I am not going to fly this airline ever.
RouteOakland to Kona via Kahului

"Constant delays"

Trip Verified | Monopoly at its finest! Constant delays. I flew 6 weeks in a row without leaving on time. Every single time my flight was delayed by at least 30 minutes. Thankfully Southwest is offering Kona to Honolulu flights in May. I'm never flying on Hawaiian Airlines as long as another option is available. Sick and tired of always flying in late to Oahu.
RouteKona to Honolulu

"monopoly on air travel"

Trip Verified | Kahului to Honolulu. Horrid. They have monopoly on air travel here in Hawaii and they are behaving as such. Agents barely speak English, and god forbid you need to make any changes to your reservations. Planes are filthy (inter-island routes) and so are their terminals. I used them to fly to South Korea and even their trans-oceanic flights are way below their competitors level in service and overall experience.
RouteKahului to Honolulu
Date FlownMarch 2019

"responded by apologising profusely"

Not Verified | Well, Hawaiian have now investigated their screw up for 2 weeks and responded by apologising profusely and given me a $400 e-Ticket with strings attached. That it takes 2 weeks to investigate an admitted huge and obvious screw-up of this magnitude, shows how little Hawaiian really cares for its customers. Having said that, they completely fail to appreciate why they screwed up. After 2 weeks, they think it was a training problem. It wasn’t. Their employees (all 4 of them including 2 supervisors) followed their policies and procedures, so training won’t change anything. The screw-up I experienced had nothing to do with training. It was entirely a management and cultural issue – Hawaiian’s staff were not and are not empowered to make the obvious right decision within a 2 hour period because they fear the consequences of acting without authority so much, that they very deliberately and knowingly to my face increased my inconvenience by some 10 hours. That Hawaiian Airlines considers a $400 eTicket credit to be adequate compensation for its 3 very substantial failings that resulted in such extraordinary frustration and massive inconvenience, highlights for me, and I'm sure most others, how little Hawaiian Airlines values its customers and how little it invests to seek to make amends for its staff’s very deliberate lack of care for its customers. If Hawaiian Airlines genuinely wanted to prevent a re-occurrence of this monumental screw-up, this matter would have been escalated to senior management, specifically the CEO, which is the only area of any organization where substantial management and cultural issues are able to be successfully addressed. But they didn’t; so they’ll continue to screw over many more customers.
RouteSydney to Sacramento
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"rip off and no benefits"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Lihue. Paid for Extra Comfort. What a rip off and no benefits. No movies unless you get a app on your phone. If you want a pillow or blanket they want to charge you $10. I talked to the guy at the gate and he agreed about a ripoff ad suggested I write in. I did and never heard back from them. $320 total cost for the upgrade. Don't bother, go Delta and get movies, free pillow and blanket. Free cocktail.
RouteLos Angeles to Lihue
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the flight was delayed"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Los Angeles. This is only my second time flying in this airline. First time the flight was delayed for 3.5 hours. The second time the flight was delayed for 45 minutes waiting on a crew member. They got us all on the aircraft before they let us know. Would've been nice to wait in the terminal instead of waiting in the cramped airline seats.
RouteHonolulu to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Very disappointing service"

Trip Verified | At my travel agent's recommendation I flew Hawaiian Airlines (first trip to Hawaii) so my bags could be checked in all the way through on my return Big Island / Honololu / Sydney flight. Very disappointing service on Sydney - Honolulu flight, and almost as bad return. Grumpy cabin crew who did not seem to even want to be there, very limited meal selection, very hard to get attention or service. It was more like a 10-11 hour domestic flight than an international travel experience. Glad I bought the US$125 "premium" economy upgrade though. Inter-island Honolulu - Big Island and back were fine. I would not fly Hawaiian again and wish I'd flown Qantas.
RouteSydney to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"getting my suitcases last"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Seoul. I have flown Hawaiian Airlines many times. As a Pualani Platinum member I was able to compare my experiences every flight. Customer Service wise, ground staff are average and flight staff varies (some flights were great, some very disappointing). I travel First Class most of the time. Seat comfort and space is just alright, food is average. My major complaint is the baggage service. What’s the point of having a priority tag on your suitcases being in First Class or Platinum Member if you will receive it last anyway since they will prioritize connecting passengers? This is mostly on flights landing in HNL and mainland US. Other airlines I have flown with, when I have priority tags on my suitcases and/or flying premium cabins, I get my suitcase as soon as I arrive the baggage carousel. With Hawaiian Airlines, since most passengers are connecting to different islands or somewhere else, I always end up getting my suitcases last or almost last! That is very frustrating since you disembark first and gets to the baggage carousel first and you will be left there when almost everybody have collected their baggage. I really do not see the point of them putting priority tags for First Class passengers if they are not connecting anywhere and get their bags last anyway. It happened every single time and it is just really frustrating! I mostly travel long haul and all I want is a fast way to get home after a long flight. But no, my suitcases will come after all the economy connecting passenger baggage! Sorry Hawaiian Airlines, but compare to Emirates and Korean Air that I traveled in First Class, their First Class service really feels like First Class on everything especially giving you priority on mostly everything! To me, priority means “PRIORITY”!
Seat TypeFirst Class