Hawaiian Airlines

"unreliable planes"

Not Verified | Sacramento to Honolulu. Soon there will be an alternative to flying Hawaiian out of Sacramento to Honolulu nonstop - Southwest will start in January and I will never fly Hawaiian again. Why do I detest Hawaiian so much? Because of their high prices, outdated and unreliable planes (frequent mechanical problems), packed seating, terrible entertainment (only option is their horrible Hawaiian music videos, which never vary noticeably), shameless hawking of their credit card to a captive audience, self-congratulatory preening because they serve a (terrible) "meal" in coach, and to cap it all off, undeviating penalties that hammer you whenever you need to alter a reservation.
RouteSacramento to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2018

"flight attendants did not interact with the passengers"

Trip Verified | Maui to Sydney via Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines. This 12.50 pm flight left Honolulu on time. Once we were in the air we were instructed to close all the window blinds and the meal was served immediately. The flight attendants then turned out the lights and disappeared for the remainder of the flight. (In the main cabin, in any case, perhaps the experience in business class was different.) They have a lounge built into the middle of the plane, and they spent the entire flight taking turns slipping in and out of it while ignoring the passengers. Meanwhile, we spent the entire 11-hour, daytime flight in the dark, with window blinds down and all the lights turned out. I felt like the intention was to make it feel like night time so everyone would sleep and not be a bother. Other than breezing down the aisle with a water bottle a couple of times, the flight attendants did not interact with the passengers in the main cabin until they came around with the second-service sandwiches - one hour before landing. Seven and a half hours into the flight I caught up with one of the attendants as he was unlocking the lounge for his turn inside, and asked him about food. Without looking at me he said he didn't know what time it was but the food was usually served 1.5 to 2 hours before landing. He then turned his back and slipped into the lounge, locking the door behind him. An hour and a half before landing there was some activity in the galley but still no food. By this time it had been 8 hours since the meal, with nothing offered in between but water. I went back and asked if we were going to be getting our sandwiches and I was cheerfully told it was coming. Half an hour later - one hour before landing on an 11-hour flight - they passed out sandwiches, then started through with the drink cart. The automated overhead message saying food service was ending due to proximity of landing came on while they were doing this. So, basically, for an 11-hour daytime flight the flight attendants served the meal immediately, turned out all the lights and disappeared until one hour before landing. They spent the entire flight taking turns in their private lounge and otherwise staying completely out of sight, then reappeared for the second meal service as we were about to land. I know the flight attendants are there primarily for safety and the customer service part of it may seem, to them, secondary. But for passengers, whether a long flight is bearable or unbearable rests largely on the quality of the crew. I felt in this case they planned the flight for their own convenience and comfort and didn't care about their passengers even a little. I would never book a long flight on Hawaiian again, and I wouldn't recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteMaui to Sydney via Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2019

"carbohydrates in the breakfast"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Honolulu. We boarded the plane on Sunday August 18 2019. Everyone was very nice. Until we encounter a rude flight attendant. I called for her attention very politely. She, on the other hand, was annoyed by me even calling her over. My question was how many carbohydrates were in the complimentary breakfast. As a type 1 diabetic is very important for me to know. Well, she was extremely rude, no intention to even try to figure out how many carbs the breakfast had. Again the entire time she seem annoyed. But later we saw her being completely different with the family in front of us. She was nice, talkative and polite. I am extremely upset that the do not provide the nutritional facts for food which legally they should.
RouteSan Diego to Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2019

"it has strongly improved"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Kahului. After previous hard experiences with inter-islands Hawaiian service, I must confess that it has strongly improved. Baggage rules are now clear. Ground staff is ready to help you to comply with them. Boarding was not chaotic anymore. As usual FA were helpful and smiling. Maybe Southwest Airlines completion on this monopoly market is resulting in a positive effect.
RouteHonolulu to Kahului

"we got to board early"

Not Verified | My mother and I flew from San Francisco to Honolulu in the Extra Comfort Seating. We got to the airport early and dropped off our luggage. Staff at the check-in counter made it easy to check us in and give us our boarding passes. The boarding started on time and we got to board early thanks to our extra comfort seating. The plane was OLD. The IFE was very unresponsive and there were no personal air vents. We took off perfectly on time. After takeoff, the cabin crew came around with various items for purchase, such as snacks, earphones, and blankets. The IFE selection was small but had some new movies. The cabin crew came came around with complimentary drinks and a free meal, one of the big positives of Hawaiian Airlines. I ordered and POG (Passion Orange Guava) juice and was given a sandwich with mushroom and mayo on white bread, which tasted pretty good. I thought the meal/drink service was finished for the time being but then the same cabin crew came back and offered me the can of POG juice. The cabin crew often came around with water. As the flight ended, another drink service commenced and cabin crew handed out customs cards for Hawaii and offered everyone free maps of the island of Oahu. After landing, it took a while to find our luggage out of the baggage claim, but we eventually found out and were on our way to Waikiki beach.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSan Francisco to Honolulu
Date FlownJuly 2019

"you'll get nothing and like it"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Phoenix. Given the competition, I am surprised people even fly Hawaiian. Premium economy gets you 2 things, a seat with a few more inches and boarding just one zone earlier. Even United (historically the worst) gives you free drinks in that class. The A330 has no passenger controlled air vents and the smallest overhead luggage bins on a widebody I have ever seen. The crews on Hawaiian definitely lived up to the island credo of "no worries", which translated into, you'll get nothing and like it. Food, drinks, information, etc. I have not seen that level of unprofessionalism on a flight since the last time I flew United many years ago. Hopefully now that Southwest is coming to the island, they will figure it out.
RouteHonolulu to Phoenix
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Hawaiian Airlines is not up to it"

Trip Verified | My family and I were booked on the July 14 2019 flight New York to Honolulu which was scheduled to depart at 10 AM. The cabin crew had arrived on the HNL-JFK flight 26 hours earlier. There was a blackout in Manhattan on the evening prior, although power was fully restored by midnight. This had supposedly affected the ability of some of these personnel to get sufficient sleep. Nevertheless, they all turned up to work on the morning of 14 July. However, at about 9am, the pilots decided they had had insufficient sleep. HA found some replacement pilots by about 11 am. However, at that point, the cabin crew decided that they had also had insufficient rest hours. They wandered off for their 10 hours rest, which commenced when they reached the hotel, around midday. The rest of us were pretty much stuck at JFK for the duration. So we had some time to look around, including wandering over to terminal 4 to look at alternatives (Delta, it didn't work, but that's a whole other story). For what it's worth, and I looked extensively at the airport and online, I am not aware of another flight leaving JFK that day that was delayed due to the impact of the blackout on crew. The HA JFK ground personnel, who all had to pull a ~19 hour shift (and were great) handed out lunch and dinner vouchers and then $300 discount vouchers for future flights. Arriving back at the terminal around 11 pm, it seemed likely from the shopping bags they brought that at least some of the members of the cabin crew had spent some of their additional 10 hours in Manhattan productively... The flight departed after 1 am on Monday 15 July, more than 15 hours late. They then set up the crew sleeping quarters in 45-46 C-G, and left the fasten belts sign illuminated for most of the flight. We arrived in HNL at 5 am local time with the crew gregarious and friendly and the passengers weary. I personally had by that time been awake for 30 hours and had to stay up all day to get back on time. A family we met on the flight advised that the same thing had happened to them on a BNE-HNL flight - they were actually flying on the vouchers they received that time. Issues for HA to consider: 1. How is it possible that even with a blackout, your cabin crew did not have the opportunity to get 10 hours rest in the preceding 24 hours? Do you not have early check in arrangements with Manhattan hotels? Why are other airlines able to handle the impact of a 5 hr blackout on crew? 2. If your crew aren't going to play ball, or the flight isn't leaving for any reason, please advise your customers as early as possible. 3. Your passengers are mostly heading out on vacation. Surely it would cost HA a lot less to pay your cabin crew a "hardship bonus" or overtime rather than absorb the cost and PR impact of stealing a day of vacation from 250 passengers, for something less than a pretty good reason? 4. HA and its personnel appear to have an attitude well suited to island hopping, but not well adapted to the rigors and challenges of long haul operations. So HA should stick to island hopping. Under no circumstances would I ever again use Hawaiian Airlines for anything else. It is a fact of life that flights can be delayed. Reasons can include weather, emergencies of various kinds, mechanical issues, etc. The mission for long haul operators is to get aircraft in the air despite the challenges. Hawaiian Airlines is not up to it.
RouteNew York to Honolulu

"Very disappointed"

Not Verified | Very disappointed with the quality of offerings. No WiFi, only beef option for breakfast going. Returning again no WiFi. We did not get offered water although some passengers did. Had to ask for a soda. Although I made reservations more than a month ago, my wife and I did not have seats together until I went to the ticket counter. The agent booked us through to Phoenix (connecting in LA) he did not have my wife and I together.
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2019

"difficulties on the return flight"

Trip Verified | Portland to Honolulu. The flight to HNL was without any hiccups. The flights were on time and the staff was friendly. My difficulties came on the return flight. I had made a separate reservation for my Dad and his dog to fly on the same flight I was booked on, with a stop in Maui. I called reservations to attach the dog to the ticket because we were going to put in on as luggage. I spent an hour on the phone trying to get this complete. The staff on the phone made no indication that a stop in Maui would be any sort of problem. Upon checking in at HNL, it went as smooth as I could have expected. The staff checking us in inquired with someone about what notes needed to be made in order to ensure safe delivery for my Dads pet with the stop in Maui. She was satisfied with the answer, so she sent us along. In Maui, I received a phone call indicating that the plane to Portland could not support the pet, so I'd have to go back to HNL, where I just came from! Because the dog was being handled so much he was getting too anxious, thus we needed to come down to meet him. This was after a gate attendant tried to get us on a flight back to HNL. She was kind enough to offer a food voucher (which I could not use because I spent all of our time in the security line). We settled the dog, waited in the security line, for the second time that day and made the flight just in time. What a waste of time and communication. My Dad with breathing and walking difficulties was being taken from one side of the airport to another, a lot more walking than he anticipated, along with the stress he's feeling in regard to his dog. Back to HNL we go and make it in time for the direct flight to Portland. I was not offered any kind of compensation, acknowledgement of the mistake nor did I feel that anyone cared about the distress this caused during this whole fiasco. I had paid for Extra Comfort seats and for the two different people in Maui was trying to do the rebooking, they did not notice this until I pointed it out, twice. So, had I not mentioned it, there was a possibility that I would have got economy seats and I would have lost that added expense. I could not lose my cool because I didn't want my Dad to stress more. I have never encountered such an experience. I felt like this was something I should have known ahead of time rather than an oversight on the airline's part, not once, but twice. With the rising cost of their airline tickets and all the 'for purchase' items, it's becoming harder and harder to make the trip back to visit the family that I do have left there. The crew on the aeroplane was friendly and checked in often. I have flown a pet before and this horrific visit was a far cry from my first. I was relocating my Dad and this day actually made him question the decision, saying, maybe this wasn't a good idea. I kept my cool and did my best not to show my frustration.
RoutePortland to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2019

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Honolulu. We are from the UK and this was our first time using Hawaiian Airlines and we were very disappointed. We paid 80 Dollars each to upgrade to Premium Seats and although the interior of the plane was light and airy and clean, we thought the service was shocking. The temperature was so cold everyone was putting on sweaters and jackets. When we mentioned how cold it was to the cabin crew they offered us a blanket for 10 Dollars each. We think this was a deliberate ploy in order to sell blankets. No meal was provided just light snacks, fair enough, and we were offered complimentary drinks, my daughter and I both requested Diet Coke and were given one can between us and asked to share it - unbelievable penny pinching. We would never use this airline again
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu