Hawaiian Airlines

"never book with Hawaiian again"

Trip Verified | Booking with Hawaiian is a nightmare. Tried booking on the website using our Hawaiian miles but couldn’t because of a website error. Had to call and book the reservation instead. Took 3 hours just to get through to someone. Finally was able to book the reservation only to see that my card was charge 3 times. Called again, waited 4 hours, tossed around from operator to operator each one telling me they were unable to refund. After 12 hours finally got to someone who told me they could request a refund for me. Fine. Two days later I see they charge me 2 more times! And the nightmare continues. Once again calling and being told they cannot refund me. I will never book with Hawaiian again.
RouteHonolulu to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"HAL got us where we needed - eventually"

Trip Verified | We had booked a multi-leg trip through Delta that used "Partner" Hawaiian Airlines (HAL) between islands. For their part, HAL got us where we needed - eventually...but not without a lot of wasted vacation time and unnecessary anxiety. 1) An hour before check-in for the next day's flight to Kona we get a text from HAL that our flight was cancelled. Okay, cutting slack for COVID or whatever reason (none was given) we were still worried about how to continue the next leg of our trip. We had no place to stay if we couldn't travel, and expensive reservations waiting the next day. They gave us a Toll-Free number to "call", after hours of trying, all we got was busy signal and we never got through. There was no way to rebook on HAL website, since ticketing was through Delta. So, spending 4 hours on hold getting through to Delta we rebooked for a later HAL flight - but had to pay fare difference, even though it wasn't our fault we had to make a flight change. 2) Arriving at the airport, HAL was a mess. Although our reservation included checked bags, they insisted we had to pay because, "we're not Delta Airlines." I get that, but we paid Delta - who already paid HAL for our seats and baggage. 3) Finally getting on the plane, there were a ton of open seats. My guess is the earlier cancellation wasn't COVID related, just saving expense to consolidate flights. We were in Economy seats and after boarding, all Exit Rows were open. On any other airline, we've been allowed to move to open seats, but not on HAL. At first, the flight attendant said we couldn't sit there because of Exit Row requirements. I responded, "as long as we meet Exit Row requirements, why can't we sit there?" His response, "more money." I get it, they market them as Premium seating. After cancelled flights, additional charges and vacation time lost, the least HAL could have done was let us sit there. The Customer Service value would cost them nothing. No. Who sat there instead? Uniformed HAL employees, probably being repositioned. I'm not begrudging that staff deserves to be treated well, but aren't we the paying customers? Through everything it seemed the message HAL was sending was, we don't need you - you need us - so live with it. Easy fix - Obviously, HAL had our cell numbers, because they texted us that the flight was cancelled, due to low occupancy. It would have been easier for them to simply put us on another flight and tell us of the time change. Better yet, since there were only about 30 people booked, they could have called us. Rather than have us keep calling their toll-free and never getting through, one of their agents could have called us (same amount of time on the phone for their agents). We paid a premium for everything on this trip, costs were about 30% higher than in the past. We knew that going in. The cost of more than a half-day of lost vacation time and toll of having your itinerary cancelled mid-trip - priceless.
RouteHonolulu to Kona
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Impossible to reach customer service"

Trip Verified | Impossible to reach customer service. They canceled my flight but I can't reach anyone to receive a refund. When I did finally get someone on the phone, the call was disconnected before a refund was processed. They didn't call me back and the wait to speak to a representative no matter when I call is almost two hours long. I've tried both chat and text customer service options. They responded over 36 hours later when I was asleep and closed the thread before I responded a couple hours later. This has happened three times! Not even given a chance to respond and I still do not have a flight or a refund!
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"shouldn’t have to take two hours to recheck bags"

Not Verified | Worst airline. I had a 4 hour layover and needed to recheck my bags since i was transferring airlines. I spent an hour getting to Hawaiian Airlines check in since is in a different terminal? I guess Hawaiian Airlines with international flights instead of the domestic where i landed. I got there with my 5 bags from my extended trip and the check in was closed! Apparently they close 30min after each flight and open 2.5 hours before each flight. So I'm stuck here till 11:30pm for them to reopen. It shouldn’t have to take two hours to recheck bags. It’s ridiculous.
RouteLas Vegas to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2021

"The kiosks to check in were closed"

I fly regularly both international & domestic. I booked a quick inter island flight from Kauai (to Oahu where I live). For internet island travel the boarding pass says to check in 30 minutes before. My flight was at 7:45 so I was dropped off in front of the Hawaiian Airlines check-in at the Lihue airport at 7:15. I wasn’t checking a bag so literally just needed to complete the 30 second check in on the kiosk. The kiosks to check in were closed. When I went up to the counter the lights were off & the two agents were walking around the counter. They said “the counter closes at 7:15, no one was here. You can’t check in now.” I said “it’s literally 7:16 right now, I was here trying fo check in but your kiosks are closed.” The agent speaking to me was very rude saying “well we closed at 7:15, you were supposed to check in 30 minutes before your flight.” (which is what I was doing). When I asked what I could do she shrugged saying “we are closed, come back tomorrow.” I have never seen an airline close all it’s windows before the last flights leave and they should definitely put this on your boarding information and say 45 minutes or 60 minutes since they don’t disclose that they close beforehand. I had to pay for a ticket the next day & I think it’s completely unacceptable that this airline closed before their last flights take off and they were definitely closed before the 30 minute window and were not helpful to reschedule me. I will be using Mokulele from now on for any of my flights since there’s no aloha from this company.
RouteLihue to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Hawaiian airlines are the worst"

Not Verified | I had to change my kids tickets due to the new covid variant and the airlines charged $400 first time when the kids wanted to stay longer to participate in the community project and then yesterday they charged $700 to change the ticket as I did not feel comfortable leaving my kids at the island due to the new covid variant. Other airlines are so flexible at this time but Hawaiian airlines are the worst.
RouteOakland to Kauai
Date FlownDecember 2021

"worst experience on this airline"

Trip Verified | I had the worst experience on this airline. I am 18 years old and have flown quite a bit, both internationally and within the US. I am a female and I was on my period. I had run out of some stuff and needed to get to my sister who had some feminine products in her bag. She was on the other side of the plane all the way to the back. I quickly made my way back there trying to not get into anyone’s way. When I got there the flight attendants were getting ready to do the food runs so I moved out of their way. When I was ready to go back they were in the way so I sat in an empty seat to talk to my sister. I was then told I had to go back to my seat. I informed the flight attendant that I would as soon as they weren’t in the way of the isle. She argued for a bit then finally left it alone. As soon as the isle was clear I went back to my seat but was stopped by a flight attendant physically blocking my path and stopping me with her hand. I told her I wasn’t going to walk through there again and just was getting something from my sister. She then accused me of going back and forth over 3 times. I corrected her and she continued to complain about what i was doing even though I was not causing any problems. After the flight my sister told me she had also had issues with a different flight attendant. That makes 3 different attendants who were rude. When we got my sisters bag out of baggage claim it was soaked and the metal badge had been ripped off. They honestly were so rude and unkind it was shocking. I have never written a bad review because I try to assume people are doing their best, but this was just awful. I will never fly with them again.
RouteHonolulu to Sacramento
Date FlownNovember 2021

"totally unprofessional and arrogant"

Trip Verified | Worst service I have experienced! The check in agent notified me that there was a $30 fee per bag, no big deal, I said “you’ve got to be kidding me!”. Apparently, he thought I said something else and immediately got in my face, yelling, screaming, threatening etc.. Then proceeded to tell me my credit card, which I used 10 minutes prior, was bad, obviously trying to jerk me around and embarrass me in front of everyone else in line. I am a business manager, if one of my employees treated a customer in such a disrespectful manner, they would be fired on the spot! I will never use Hawaiian again nor recommend them to anyone! I do hope that management from Hawaiian Airlines makes necessary changes so that others do not have such a horrible experience. They are totally unprofessional and arrogant with the way they treat their paying customers!
RouteOakland to Kona via Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2021

"worst customer service ever"

Trip Verified | My family and I were going to Honolulu in November. I purchased 5 tickets costing $1870 in August and tried to get a refund in September, 40 days before our flights were scheduled for. Hawaiian Airlines said they canceled the flights but the money would be credited to my account and needs to be used with the next year or forfeit your money. If that isn't the textbook definition of extortion then I don't know what is. All their tickets are non-refundable. You need to purchase a 3rd party insurance to protect your travel which I have. But why should I use the insurance when I didn't use the Airlines services. My hotel and rental car refunds were returned in one day. The customer agent lied to me and said when you purchase the tickets it says refundable or nonrefundable which it doesn't add she called me a liar. The worst customer service ever. I've written numerous complaints to Hawaiian Airlines all with returns saying they will not refund my money.
RouteSan Diego to Honolulu
Date FlownJune 2021

"Very disappointed with the treatment we received"

Trip Verified | I’ve flown Hawaiian Airlines for the first time twice now in the last two months. Flew first class both times and I will say the flight attendants and service were wonderful both times. The check-ins not so good! Both airports we ran into extremely rude check-in clerks. At Ontario’s check-in we had a male clerk that was extremely rude. He wouldn’t even look at our paperwork showing we’d been vaccinated and tested negative for COVID-19. Wasn’t about to help us and told us we’d have to get out of line to download our results even though one of our results had been downloaded. Isn’t his job to help? On the way back at Honolulu airport the clerk looked at us like she had doubts we were in first class even after showing her our boarding passes. Had the nerve to asked us twice and looked down her nose at us. I’m not sure what the problem is with their customer service, but they definitely need to work on it. I’ve worked with the public for over 45 years and know this is not how you treat your customers. Very disappointed with the treatment we received from them at their check-in counters.
Seat TypeFirst Class