Hawaiian Airlines

"I will never fly Hawaiian again"

Trip Verified | The Hawaiian website froze when I was attempting to book a ticket. I cancelled out of the site, waited to make sure I didn’t get an email saying the reservation went through, and several hours later went back to the site and booked the trip. The next day I got two emails with two different reservations. I called Hawaiian and the agent told me that they could cancel the ticket but not refund it. I asked if it could be used as credit toward a hotel stay and was told that it could. When I tried to redeem the credit the agent told me that it could only be used toward a flight. Hawaiian doesn’t even fly out of DFW so I lost $350. Had they been honest the first phone call I could have potentially used the credit some other way. I will never, ever fly Hawaiian Airlines again.
RouteKOA to LIH
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Don't expect any sort of service"

Not Verified | My wife and I flew an inter-island flight from Maui to Honolulu in Nov 22. Although the flight was delayed the experience onboard was fine. Upon arrival into Honolulu one of our bags didn't make it. The man at the Honolulu Hawaiian airlines baggage desk was super rude and quite frankly it felt like he didn't even want to serve us. We filed a 'irregular baggage report' and did the standard protocol. The man at the desk said they would call first thing the following day and let us know our bag whereabouts. The next morning we received no call so decided to call the aiport as we where staying 1.5 hours from the airport. We were put on hold for 3.5 hours and then 2 hours where no one picked up the phone. The following day was the same! On hold for 3 hours and no answer. When someone finally answered they said they had found the bag and would send it out immediately. 2 days later we still hadn't received the bag and once again couldn't get through on the phone to anyone at the airport. We ended up driving to the airport where there were 3 staff working on the hawaiian airline baggage desk not serving anyone talking amongst themselves. When I asked why no one was answering their phone they all laughed. My bottom line! Don't expect any sort of service at all with Hawaiian airlines... especially if something goes wrong.
RouteKahalui to Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2022

"surprised at the poor customer service"

Not Verified | I'm not one to leave reviews but feel the need to warn people away from this airline. As someone who travels domestically and internationally very regularly I was surprised at the poor customer service and "gotcha" approach with flight changes. I made an error with booking inter-island transit and within 15 minutes tried to change it only to be told that customer service was unwilling to do so based on the "fare rules." mind you it was a first class ticket that had been changed once to this new island and by accident I got the wrong airport. This was disappointing and frustrating and, from my experience, not in line with industry standards for any other American or international carrier I have used (aside from deeply discounted budget brands). Do yourself a favor and avoid this airline. You don't want to be in my situation where an error caught in 15 minutes means you forfeit your $$$. So many other airlines fly to Hawaii and actually have some basic standards of customer service. The money grab really feels inconsistent with the beautiful culture of Hawaii. How disappointing.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHonolulu to Kona
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Will never fly them again"

Not Verified | Will never fly again. Booked a flight a year out and paid 345 each extra for extra comfort seats. 670 dollars. Went to check in the day before the flight and not only were my partner and I not even in the same area of the plane, we lost extra comfort. Called customer service and was told for over an hour our seats were gone and there was nothing they could do. Told us someone else had our seats. Then paid 270 per seat (540) to re upgrade and was told I would be reimbursed if I spoke with agents at Logan. They then told me I would have to call customer service. Kept going back and forth and both were useless, rude and zero help. Was told "don't worry" this won't happen 10 days later your seats are good to go. Checked in 10 days later and had same issue. They have literally stolen over a thousand dollars from me and just could not care less. Will never fly them again or recommend them to anyone. A terrible experience from start to finish.
RouteBoston to Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I won’t fly with them anymore"

Trip Verified | I’ve had so many problem with Hawaiian over the years that I had to write a review at this point. It started with them canceling my husbands and I’s flight during Covid and not offering any sort of voucher for a last minute hotel. If you can imagine, getting a hotel day of on Honolulu is the worst. Talk about cockroaches and a nasty bed. Not to mention being put on hold for 3 hours only to give up, call back later and be put on hold again for hours. That was in 2021. Later that year we purchased tickets and they were unable to check us in as though our tickets never even existed. que going to the “services” line in the Honolulu airport and coming close to missing our flight - not because we weren’t early but because the wait in the line was nearly out the door. And the employee barely knew what she was doing so everything took forever. If you’re unable to do the job properly you need more training. Now I go to check in in 2022 and they got rid of the check in lines all together and have kiosks and people walking around- you weigh your own bag etc. remember this is all at the Honolulu location. If you have an issue- just go wait in a line for hours and miss your flight. They got rid of free check in bags for military spouses (no other airline does this) the customer service said because they have “issues” with people sneaking bags or something - no, it’s clearly cutting corners. Active duty personnel is still allowed to have free checked bags but they have to go to the line that take 3 hours to simply have one checked bag. So they make you really contemplate if that free checked bag is worth missing your flight! Also all of this with no heads up with changed in policy’s. Unfortunately I already booked multiple flights with them the next month because they pop up the cheapest. But out of principal and their treatment of military and corner cutting I won’t fly with them anymore. Military and their spouses already have a hard enough time traveling around, paying for way more flights than normal people, so it’s clear how they feel about military. And before anyone says anything about military occupation, we all Know big corporations don’t care about that. They just want their $30 dollars, and to make sure they hire as little employees as possible. Also the seats are squished together so even as a small woman I’m shoulder to shoulder with people and can barely move. It was a nightmare trying to get comfortable
RouteOakland to Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2022

"ruined the whole experience"

Trip Verified | Before my flight I called Hawaiian airlines to get an approval to use my cpap machine on the plane each way from New York JFK to Honolulu. The woman told me I would have to upgrade my seat because coach does not have outlets but extra comfort does have them so I had to pay over $900 for upgrade for my wife and I to use my medical device. Only allowed 100 watts for a battery and that’s not enough to run a cpap machine. Flight from JFK to HNL no problem used the machine 5 star. Return flight from HNL to JFK I was told cpap machines are not allowed on the plane. I told the lady I was approved to use it. They called the supervisor and he said it is a safety issue I cannot use it. I said it is only a safety issue if it is used in the emergency exit, and this is not where I am sitting. Told him I was allowed to use it on flight 51 on the way to HNL. He said no I cannot use my machine on an overnight flight, my throat literally closes up from snoring. After reading Hawaiian Airlines rules it clearly says rule number 8 cpap is a medical device and allowed to be used. It's a shame this ruined the whole experience of flying with Hawaiian airlines because all the rest of the staff was great. Paid the for the seats so I can use the cpap.
RouteHonolulu to New York
Date FlownOctober 2022

"It is so sad to be treated so inhumane"

Trip Verified | Me and my wife had the worst experience on this airline. When arriving to Hawaii our baggage was lost and not one employee could care about our lost luggage. We contacted managers, employees and multiple people and not one person was compassionate, empathetic, cared or took the time of the day to follow up on this with us. I would not recommend flying this airline with our baggage still lost and us consistently being treated like just a number to them. It is so sad to be treated so inhumane.
RouteMelbourne to Hawaii

"Terrible customer service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Worst airline I have ever flown with. Chaotic, unorganised, unhelpful. Lost our bags twice. Said they would email or phone me when arrived. Still hadn’t heard anything after 4 days so turned up at airport and bags were sitting in a corner! Ruined my holiday. Terrible customer service. After traveling to 49 countries, this is the worst airline I have ever experienced. Would avoid whenever possible.
RouteMaui to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2022

"left the gate 15 minutes early"

Not Verified | Worst experience of my life! Booked an 8:10am flight that left the gate 15 minutes early and left us behind due to TSA checks. We tried to board and they told us too bad it’s gone and out bags we’re already on the flight and gave us a number to call. We called reservations and went rounds for over an hour and a half! During that time they changed the flight prices on us 3 different times! After trying to get ahold of a manager and refusing to transfer we finally were forced to book the only flight they had. Cost us $2500 when it shouldn’t have been more than $100! Not only that but they took so long to get us situation we almost missed a 2nd flight! When we boarded the plane we were informed they don’t offer wifi which was a huge disappointment for a long flight! Emailed corporate to complain and they wrote me a sorry letter basically refusing to refund me and offer flight credits knowing I’ll never use them! Don’t waist your money on this airline they are the worst!
RouteLos Angeles to Maui

"the worst experience"

Not Verified | Absolutely the worst experience. I’ve had issues with Hawaiian Airlines for the past few months. Flights are delayed, bags and 30 minutes to be picked up. The only saving grace was the flight attendants. They seem to be much more empathetic with the situation.
RouteKahului to Portland