Finnair

"Will not recommend to anyone"

Not Verified | Finnair has misplaced our luggage from Bangkok to Venice via Helsinki and has not been able to find it for days. Does not answer customer service line, longest wait times on hold with no answer. I was advised to call 4 different phone numbers before reaching baggage claim, with still no answer. Finnair is unorganised, slow and has no customer service to speak of. Will not recommend to anyone.
RouteBangkok to Venice via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2022

"Stay away from this airline"

Trip Verified | Most incompetent and hostile airport ground check-in crew I have ever seen during my many ears of travel. Three agents took 25 minutes to process a passenger with excess luggage. The supervisor was abscond, until the last minute. Business class check-in counter was unmanned and unattended. Finnair business class standards are very low. Stay away from this airline.
RouteLondon to Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2022

"like a budget long haul flight"

Trip Verified | First flight was poor, seat backs were like bricks, no food, no viewing screens. 3 hr flight. Second flight had a problem so had to get off the plane and wait on another. 1st plane seat was good but when seated back on new aircraft same seat number it turned out to be a seat with no seat in front, good some would say for leg room but the tray table did not fold and as I'm a large guy could not get it down. There was no headphone for the screen which seemed odd. The original girl beside me had switched with her husband and he being a large guy as well made the flight awkward. He was much larger than me. The best is the food. Piece of chicken with cauliflower and spinach. Not nice at all with a tiny bread bun. Salad bowl thing which I passed on and a chocolate wafer bar. Poor offerings and not plentiful at all. Landing was only an hour late so no worries but before we landed at 5.30 pm we were given a small box contain 2 wet hash browns and a few mushrooms with an omelette on more spinach. Breakfast. The seats were fine, the staff were nice but I really think this was like a budget long haul flight. And I will not be flying with them again until people start raving about how good they are. One more thing, Dublin had 2 of the worst and slowest check in staff out of 3, appalling how they did not show any interest in being professional.
RouteDublin to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2022

"request a business class upgrade"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | I've been flying Finnair regularly for the past 15 years, so much so that I've had their gold status for most of these years. They have always been horrible at customer service and the situation has gotten worse in the past few years. Being a gold member, we are entitled to shorter customer service queues. What this means in reality is that if I'm flying in a week and I need a business class upgrade, they won't even see my email in time or react. I sent in a complaint letter on April 5 and got a response on June 28th. Without any resolution. The tier benefits such as business class upgrades go unused because it is impossible to do it yourself in most cases and it is impossible to get a hold of their customer service to do it for you. I'm talking queuing for 2 hours in the chat and then having the page reload itself and you have to start from scratch and emails answered after months. Once I do get them and request a business class upgrade they will say 'how would you like to pay'. 'With my tier based upgrade voucher'. 'Oh I'm sorry, we don't have availability'. Then when I board the plane I see half of the business class is available. Horrible customer service. Never available and when available they never help with anything.
RouteHelsinki to Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2022

"Finnair Customer Support is non-existent"

Not Verified | Finnair Customer Support is non-existent. Tried to book an additional piece of luggage way before the flight. The website said my booking could not be found (while still being able to check in much later), the chat was constantly congested and after being on the phone for two full hours I did not feel like waiting any longer. I will not fly with this piece of what-goes-in-the-bin airline ever again.
AircraftA350-900
RouteLos Angeles to Berlin via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2022

"they canceled the rest of my itinerary"

Trip Verified | The flight from JFK to Helsinki was sub-par. The food was nothing to write home about. You get one free alcoholic beverage and the rest are paid (not usual on international flights). After arriving in Helsinki I had a a 14 hour layover and missed my connection (totally my fault). The lady at the Finnair desk told me there was nothing they can do and I should rebook with another airline (seriously?). So that's what I did. However, I still had my return tickets correct? Wrong, they canceled the rest of my itinerary, no refund, and they didn't even offer to try and rebook me a flight to pay for, like they didn't care. I think that is an absolutely disgusting way to treat paying customers. Especially since I had to pay for my 1st checked back and the round trip flight was almost +$1600usd after luggage and seat selection. I hope if you read this and have an alternative route and airline to travel with you do. Good luck if you do decide to. And it is sad, because Helsinki is such a beautiful and friendly city.
RouteNew York to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2022

"food for long haul is extremely disappointing"

Trip Verified | I flew A350 from Singapore to Helsinki with Finnair, the aircraft is new and spacious for economy, but - food for long haul is extremely disappointing - drinks after the first one you must pay for in a long haul flight is unheard of from a national flag airline - breakfast is another huge disappointment - no snacks - service is kept to minimum - entertainment is out of date program. For a national flag airline, it is the worst I have seen. Even worse than BA economy class. I would never fly Finnair again unless there is a gun pointed towards me. Rather choose other national flag, and they are all a similar price.
RouteSingapore to Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2022

"No apologies for their colossal screwup"

Trip Verified | Their system lost my return flight booking change and never told me. On May 19th changed return flight through their online system, paid 32GBP change fee (credit card email showing charge) and received confirmation email that my flight was successfully changed to AA 106 on June 16th. Their website showed my flight as AA 106 on June 16th. Never received any error emails. Week of departure tried to add passenger details and after 3 separate calls and waiting hours on hold and taking to 3 different people, was told that their system never completed the flight change booking with AA! They told me I now had to pay 180 GBP for the flight change because of their system failure. No apologies for their colossal screwup. What if I hadn't checked until going to the airport and then finding that they never completed the booking. How are they allowed to operate like this?
RouteNew York to London
Date FlownMarch 2022

"at least feed your passengers"

(Norway)

Not Verified | I have been flying back/forth, all over the world, for decades. On-flight food totally varies quality-wise. But there is always enough food. Flew recently from Oslo to Delhi. Normally it's like a 6+ hrs flight, but due to Ukraine/Russia war, and detour, the flight time extended to 8+ hrs. Our first meal came approx around one hour after take off. It's was a Gnocchi pasta with tomato sauce, one small piece of bread bun, butter and some potato salad. The amount was little, and I thought it as a first start of the journey - course. Then a later meal would be the main course. That didn't happen. Almost six hours later, one hour before landing, we got a muffin for breakfast. On an 8+ hrs flight. The food wasn't enough, for a hungry stomach, that hadn't been eating for above six hours. I have never seen anything like that before. To Finnair: I understand that you have had an extreme loss, due to Covid and nobody was traveling, but with all that high ticket prices, that you now have, at least feed your passengers.
RouteOslo to New Delhi via Helsinki

"it was a good flight"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | The on-line check-in went fine but it was impossible to change my seat, which should be possible. Contacting the customer service was a very time consuming effort but eventually I could reach them and they could change my seat. The check-in at Brussels was somewhat cumbersome, as the check-in staff was overzealous in checking and double checking Corona requirements. There were about 25 people in line when I arrived but it took a good hour to get checked-in. The boarding went smoothly. The flight was ontime. Also in Helsinki, the boarding went smoothly and was on time. The flight went fine, flight attendants were attentive. The meal was very minimalistic, and I am being polite... the fact that it was served with wooden cutlery did not add to the culinary experience either. Drinks were ok and soft drinks available throughout the whole flight. All in all, it was a good flight, timely without any stress.
RouteBrussels to Bangkok via Helsinki