Finnair

"attendants nice and friendly"

Trip Verified | Dusseldorf to Beijing via Helsinki. Checkin in Dusseldorf very slow, only one Staff at Counter. Must wait long time. During flight to Helsinki offered Coffee, Tea and water for free only. Transit in Helsinki fast and easy. Boarding on Time. Flight in A350 very quiet and Seat comfortable with good space for legs. Cabin, Toilet clean, Flight attendants nice and friendly. During this flight offered Asian and Western Meal and some of Wines and Drinks. Food is ok but not enough. Inflight entertainment not good choice. Ticket price over average.
AircraftA320 / A350-900
RouteDueseldorf to Beijing via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2018

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | London to St. Petersburg via Helsinki. Finnair has the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced in my LIFE. I got to the airport 4 hours before my flight, printed out my boarding pass and noticed boarding time was an hour after the flight was meant to depart. I spoke to an airport customer service rep and I was informed that the flight was delayed. I then decided to wait in the lounge as I had a long wait. Get to the gate at the time specified and the gate has closed. The plane had come early and no announcements were made. The door was just closing and the airport representative was not in anyway inclined to help us. Airline staff were unsympathetic and basically told use were on our own. Begged and begged and nothing. Finally went to the flight connections desk, and there were no finnair reps to assist. The only person willing to assist was a BA rep and unfortunately there was nothing we could do. The entire experience with the airline was my worst ever and as a frequent budget flier this was meant to be an upgrade for me. No apology, no assistance, no sympathy. Not only that, but they were unwilling to give us a refund or any assistance. And obviously after we got to our destination they cancelled our return and no refunds were given, or compensation, despite paying for the flight.
RouteLondon to St. Petersburg via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2018

"happy with this Finnair flight"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Flying first from Brussels to Helsinki went smooth, no delays, orderly check-in. Small snack and drink (blueberry juice) was offered. The lay-over at Helsinki airport went very easy. The check-in was very orderly. This flight was with an A330-300, which was still ok. The 2-4-2 seating is quite nice if you are travelling alone. Food was ok, entertainment I did not use much. Drinks were offered and available, staff was friendly. The return was pretty much the same, albeit now with an A350-900. As it was a dayflight I used the entertainment more. Lots of films available. A nice touch is the free wifi (not internet which comes at a charge). But with the wifi you have access to a series of (recent) newspapers/magazines, the flight information etc. At Helsinki airport it was rush hour again. In the Schengen zone it is very crowded, hardly a place to sit to be found. Food and drinks are excessively expensive. I bought the 'cheapest' snack which still valued the sausage at some 50 eur/kg! Be prepared to take your own snacks! The flight to Brussels was delayed as well but within reason. Overall I was happy with this Finnair flight, previously I used Chinese airlines but plan to stick to Finnair in future.
AircraftA330-300 and A350-900
RouteBrussels to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"Pleasant experience"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Singapore to Oslo via Helsinki. Pleasant experience with Finnair. The cabin was comfortable and legroom space was just nice for Asian height. They offered varieties of food, you can choose either western or Asian meals. The flight ticket price is average also. The aircraft which have quiet engines is really cool for passenger and you can sleep without noise.
RouteSingapore to Oslo via Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I can recommend this airline"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Tokyo via Helsinki the 29th June with return from Osaka to Copenhagen via Helsinki the 18th of July. Overall a decent airline, with a good customer service. Staff were friendly and welcoming to meet the needs from customers. The bad part is that it was almost an hour delayed from Helsinki to Tokyo and almost an hour as well from Osaka due. But both time the airline gave an apology for the delay and on our way home the captain explained the reason for the delay was that Chinese airspace was closed for this flight which made the route longer. I flew with my fiancee and we got three vacant seats. The staff were friendly and allowed us to sit there on the way home. Staff were professional and served coffee and water several times in between the breakfast and lunch. They did not had the option i wanted for lunch but the stewardess were nice and spologized and checked their food and found the meal i wanted with an apology. A good airline with friendly staff and a nice, clean A350 on the long hair. I can recommend this airline.
RouteOsaka to Copenhagen via Helsinki

"I recommend Finnair"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Helsinki. I had booked this flight as a mistake, I should've booked with Oman Air (Who was cheaper at the time) but then I chose too quickly. Upon realising that there was a 17 hour layover, I was prepared. I used the Qantas lounge at Terminal 3. Boarding took 45 minutes for an A321. Only newspapers were offered during boarding. We took off with a relatively empty business cabin, and the purser was attending to every passenger personally. There was a choice of beef stew with risotto or chicken and pasta bake. I chose the beef and it was excellent for a 2 hour flight. The flight landed at midnight in Helsinki, and there were napping chairs available so I had a nap for 4 hours, waiting for the lounge to open. Once the lounge opened, I grabbed one of the sleeping pods and had another four hours of surprisingly good sleep. Lounge food on offer was better than most european lounges I have seen, two hot options and plenty of cold options. Wine and alcohol selection was plenty. Upon boarding in Helsinki, I was offered a choice of blueberry juice, champagne or water. The seat on the A350 was the 1-2-1 business class found on many other airlines. However, I felt more cramped as Qatar Airways has 6 rows in it's forward cabin whereas Finnair has 8 rows in it's forward cabin. The seat in bed mode was comfortable and adequate for sleeping. Accompanied by Marimekko designed bedware, a soft pillow and light duvet. I had a great 6 hours of sleep on this flight. Food on this flight: The starter was great. Smoked gravlax and scallops. My preordered ox cheek, enjoyed with a glass of pinot noir (Unusually served in a flat glass) was excellent, although I would've preferred the food to be served in a plate instead of a bowl. But the flight attendants said that this takes time, and passengers would prefer having the food quickly rather than looking nicer. Breakfast service was quick and delicious, although those who don't like spinach wouldn't have liked the breakfast (It was a spinach omelette with baked spinach and sausage and potato bags filled with spinach) and the other options (Salmon Bagel) weren't that appetising. The crew on all the flights were well trained and very friendly. They said that there was a Finnish style wherein they don't treat their passengers too much unlike Qatar or Emirates, but they still won best business class in Europe. The purser let me visit the crew rest area, and it was surprisingly spacious. Wifi is quite cheap (19EUR for the full flight) On the way back, I used the Cathay Pacific lounge in Bangkok and the flight was quite uneventful, but the business class on these flights were full. Fast track immigration was given in London, but the baggage claim took ages at the oldest terminal in London. (Terminal 3) Overall, Finnair was a great accidental choice and quite cheap. The quality was excellent and I recommend Finnair.
AircraftA321 / A350
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2018

"worse quality service"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Berlin to Tokyo via Helsinki. Terrible experience. Air hostesses are not bad, but lacking smile on their faces. Food is terrible. If you sit near the end of aircraft you won't have any choice of meal or drink, because most choices will end. When we arrived at Helsinki, passport control was so crowded that I missed my flight to Berlin. And when returning, they flew me to Helsinki, and told me that my flight to Tokyo has been canceled. After waiting for more than 2 hours at Transfer Service in Helsinki airport, they told me that my flight has been scheduled to the next day evening. And they will fly me to Duesseldorf (back to Germany), from where I will fly to Tokyo. People at the service desk won't listen to any complaint, they don't bother to help. They just want to end their working shift for that day. I've lost about 2 days because of their mistake. Worst decision that have been made. I've used lots of airlines, expensive and excessively cheap. But this airline has lot worse quality service.
RouteBerlin to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Will not fly with them again"

Trip Verified | New York to Helsinki. Finnair customer service is the worst. The flight that myself and my wife took was over 6 hours late to board, with almost no information on why. 2 hours into the wait they started to give a very limited reason. 4 hours in they gave us $10 food vouchers that only worked at limited food vendors at the airport. We missed our connecting train, and a connecting flight to Jyvaskyla, with no apologies, and no help in getting to our destination. We had brought the connecting plane tickets with the understanding that the connecting flight will wait for us. It did not. They closed the gate by 5 seconds before we got to the connecting gate and would not allow us to get on suggesting that they have cancelled our ticket. When we mentioned our situation, there was no help, and security was called. Just terrible. Do not count on getting any help or any service from Finair staff. They clearly do not care about there job or have no interest in taking ownership of what they do. Will not fly with them again.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNew York to Helsinki

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Rome to New York via Helsinki. On July 3rd, we arrived early, got to our gate on time, and were told by a Finnair employee at the gate that our flight to Helsinki was boarding next. I showed her my boarding pass. We waited for another 15 minutes and I asked again what the status of our flight was. I didn't see anyone boarding so I was getting very worried. I didn't hear any announcements. I was told very to "sit down" and that my flight hadn't boarded yet. I waited another few minutes and went back to double check the gate on the departure board. The flight had been moved! I grabbed my family and ran to the other gate where I was told very rudely that the flight just left. This was 1 leg of a three part flight from Rome to Helsinki, Helsinki to London, London to NY. After asking several airport employees what are options were, I was told to call Finnair on the phone since there was no ticket office for that airline at the airport. Our only option, I was told was to go online and purchase new tickets. Cost? $2300 US. Oh, and they lost our luggage in the meantime, and it took us 3 hours to locate it in the airport. Worst customer service I have seen in my life. Wow.
RouteRome to Helsinki

"Will never use again"

Trip Verified | Our flight from Kittila to Gatwick was cancelled 5 minutes before the scheduled departure. We were 6 passengers and had to wait 3 hours at the airport to fly to Helsinki instead, sleep there in a terrible hotel and fly to a London only the next day. We all lost a day of work. We asked for our compensation (400€ under EU regulation). It was refused 4 months later, when they finally came up with an excuse: air pressure at 1051ph (above 1050ph allowed). We checked with two pilots. If it was the case no other flight could have departed that day, and a full flight to Germany left 25 minutes before ours. Also why didn't they provide this reason on the day of the cancellation? Finnair treats their customers like idiots, by trying to confuse them with technicals and disrespecting the law. If they don't want to fly empty plane, fine, but pay the compensation to your customers in time instead of coming up with dodgy reasons. Service is worst than EasyJet, for 3 times the price. Will never use again.
RouteKittila to London