Finnair

"very pleasant experience"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Seoul. I was warmly welcomed onboard. The aircraft looked modern and light. My experience of the staff was that they were very professional and friendly.Food, especially starters, looked almost like a piece of art and taste was great. I had not much wine this time but having three alternatives both red and white is exceptional. Overall, very pleasant experience!
RouteHelsinki to Seoul
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"It has to be one of the worst economy seats"

Trip Verified | I booked a premium economy ticket with Japan Airlines from Paris to Sydney. My flight leaving Paris (which was with Finnair) was delayed. It was a small plane and they had to reload the luggage as it didn't balance. There was only an hour between connecting flights so I missed my connecting flight from Helsinki to Tokyo with Japan Airlines. Upon arriving in Helsinki I was met by someone from Finnair who said they were putting me on a Finnair flight. I asked them what class I was being put in as my ticket was premium economy and I knew Finnair didn't offer premium economy. They told me it was economy and that there was nothing they could do. I queried this with several people before I boarded the plane which didn't seem to go down well with anybody. I was told I was holding the plane up, to get on the plane and to contact customer service when I landed. I did get on the plane and endured 9 hours of a cramped seat, an arm rest that barely fit one arm, never mind two arms and a seat with zero lumbar support. It has to be one of the worst economy seats I have ever sat in. To offer such a poor economy product in this day and age is unacceptable. I complained to Japan Airlines when I got back and they said as the flight was with Finnair I had to take it up with them. I then complained to Finnair and they have basically told me there is nothing they can do. I should be grateful they put me on a flight. They have shown no concern that I wasted money on paying for premium economy seat. Happy to take my money but not so happy to refund or compensate when things go wrong. The fact we were delayed in the first place is their fault as they did not load the plane correctly. So not only do they have a poor product but their ground staff and customer service don't have a great attitude either. I would avoid this airline if you can. I will not be flying with them again.
RouteParis to Tokyo via Helsinki

"I recommend Finnair"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Gdańsk to Hong Kong via Helsinki. Average experience with some nice aspects: blueberry juice, green tea, modern A350 aircraft. Stable product according to my experience, and all segments on time. The crew was decent. Routes via Siberia are the shortest way from Europe to Asia. There are some areas of improvement as well: quality of food on outbound segment horrible. Quantity worse than in other airlines. You need to bring your own food, because all snacks are sold for very high nordic prices. For some destinations (incl. mine) wine served both with meals and later on demand. IFE could be more extended. The plane a bit cramped with a bit tough seats. Helsinki is a typical Scandinavian airport with nice design. Nevertheless a bit overcrowded and in case of my flight long distance to be paced. I recommend Finnair, and would choose it again when price similar than offered by competition.
AircraftATR72 / A350-900
RouteGdańsk to Hong Kong via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cabin crew were excellent"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Bangkok via Helsinki. An overall great experience. The A350 was very quiet and comfortable. The cabin crew were excellent - very friendly and professional. The food and snacks were tasty and plentiful. All flights were on time although fog slightly delayed the flight from Helsinki to Manchester. I would recommend Finnair Business class.
AircraftA320 / A330 / A350
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"worst airline I have ever used"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Manchester via Helsinki. The worst airline I have ever used. The food and drink is a disgrace Bangkok to Helsinki and back gets one small meal with no desert, a virtually inedible child size meal the second meal described as a complimentary light meal is a joke and could not be described as a meal. You have to pay extra for wine and snacks, I guess that’s why the food is so bad. No food at all Helsinki to Manchester. The movie selection was just as bad the second meal on the long haul flight went straight in the bin, no snacks in between one cup of coffee all flight it’s a complete rip-off. The actual planes staff, organisation and punctuality are excellent but that does not make up for the terrible inflight experience.
RouteBangkok to Manchester via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"comfortable seats and spacious legroom"

(Japan)

Trip Verified |Helsinki to Osaka with Finnair. Boarding at Helsinki Vantaa was smooth, the plane very new with comfortable seats and spacious legroom, water offered immediately. Selection of movies and music was very limited and of low quality. The touchscreen was not working well, becoming unresponsive after prolonged use (e.g., while watching a movie). Negative points: I had pre-ordered vegetarian meals, but this information was lost in the ether, meaning they did not have the special meal requested. The cabin attendant serving my aisle though was very nice and did help in getting together an alternative meal, albeit slowly. A few cabin attendants were impolite or outright rude. Annoying commercials shown after boarding.
RouteHelsinki to Osaka
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"one of the worst airlines"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Helsinki via Bangkok. The first stage Manchester to Helsinki. Appalling no food, no TV, no adapter for charging a phone. No drinks other than water, tea, juice provided free. Everything you had to pay for. Seats ok but small even Bizz class didn’t have a tv screen. Second leg Helsinki to Bangkok 10 hour flight 1 meal very poor quality, no dessert and then a small breakfast. No alcohol drinks, no snacks all had to be paid for at extortionate pricing. Seating was very squashed and the movie selection very poor. Return trip booked but never again certainly one of the worst airlines I have used
RouteManchester to Helsinki via Bangkok

"friendly and welcoming"

Not Verified | Chicago to Vilnius via Helsinki . The seat width was slightly above average, with about 18. The legroom hah 32 inches of pitch. I flew economy and cabin crew were friendly and fluently explained the slight delays that we had. The flight attendants are friendly and welcoming. Food was good. My IFE screen struggled a little bit in light, but when I turned up the brightness it was barely sufficient, and I didn't even have a window seat.
AircraftA330-300
RouteChicago to Vilnius via Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2019

"for 6.30 hour flight should not be allowed"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Helsinki. First leg from Helsinki on the wonderful A350, return on a totally full A321 which for 6.30 hour flight should not even be allowed, horrible experience. The line to and from the bathroom is there for well over half the flight and up to nearly half the length of the plane because the drinks, food and shopping trolley is constantly in the aisle as well. A single aisle plane on a distance such as Dubai. Never again. Furthermore I should echo the grievance of the family behind us who had their seats split up. It's a dirty money grabbing tactic to force a same booking to pay extra to be sat together. It doesn't really affect their profit margin and only serves to make people to look for other options when they next book.
RouteDubai to Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2019

"two middle seats away from each other"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Billund via Helsinki. I’m sitting in Melbourne right now about to board a flight to Denmark booked through Finnair. The first leg to Hong Kong is through Cathay pacific. At the check in desk, I tried to change seats for my wife and I on the second leg from Hong Kong to Helsinki on the Finnair flight and the guy behind the counter just laughed at me! Apparently it’s a joke in Melbourne airport that it’s not possible for anyone to change seats without paying a substantial amount of money. My wife and I had booked the flight 4 months in advance and had from Hong Kong - Helsinki (11 hour flight) weirdly been seated in two middle seats away from each other. First I thought it must have been a mistake, but after spending 45 min on a Skype call to Finnair (their only option of customer service is to call their Finnish phone number. No Facebook, no online chat options!!) I was told that it is not Finnair company policy to seat bookings together but completely up to the airline to do whatever they want. The person on the phone did give me the option of purchasing two seats for an additional $300! Are they kidding? When you fly short journeys, a terrible company like this can probably survive, but when you are traveling 20+ hours on long haul flights the customer service is quite important. Being seated on an 11 hour flight in two middle seats away from each other is for someone like me, a total disaster!
RouteHong Kong to Billund via Helsinki