Finnair

"really need to improve customer service"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | The customer support is almost invisible. They take 1 hour to answer the phone and the chat almost never! They lost one of our luggage and took 4 days to return it, but in the meantime there is nobody we could talk too. The seat and the plane was great. But they really need to improve customer service and baggage handling!
RouteNew York to Milan via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2021

"level of incompetence is the highest"

Not Verified | I will start by saying that the plane accommodations were outstanding, the in flight crew was amazing. That being said the baggage handling is atrocious and the customer service is even worse. We gate checked our stroller and car seat only for the gate agent to tell us that we would have to retrieve it at baggage claim and it would not be brought to the gate. Completely defeats the purpose of checking in at the gate. Next was how our baggage was handled. Our car seat (which was gate checked) did not make our destination, keep in mind that our flight was only 35% full and delayed at the transfer in Helsinki for one hour. Then on arrival at least 20-30% of the passengers received an email that some or all of their luggage did not make the transfer. This must be laziness on the part of the ground crew in Helsinki because there is no reason this many bags did not make the flight. People with kid, people with turn around flights, people with transfers to other cities and countries were being told their bags would not arrive for 2 days or more. Our car seat that was gate checked was placed on the carousel not the oversized baggage belt. The frame was damaged and it has been over one month and Finnair has not even responded to the emails or claims we have made in their system. This is unacceptable, our carseat ended up being delayed for 3 days and Finnair has not even reimbursed us for having to rent one for those days from the car rental agency. This level of incompetence is the highest I have ever experienced from and airline. If you travel Finnair be prepared to have your baggage not arrive with you.
RouteBarcelona to Los Angeles via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2021

"piece of cheese, so hard, dry"

Trip Verified | My flight took a place on 11:50pm January 1, 2022. I want to thank wonderful lady at the Finnair c/in desk. She was so kind, so helpful, so caring and professional. The flight attendant team was caring and professional. One detail - instead dinner we received a sandwich with a small piece of cheese, so hard, dry. I don't have high expectations for an airline food, but this one was below any comments.
RouteNew York to Vilnius via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"feel beyond let down by this airline"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | I don't quite understand how an airline can function without a robust customer service to manage customer queries. As I write, I have been on the phone for 75 minutes (and I will be charged for this courtesy). I would like to change the flight, the electronic system won't let me, and not only is the Chatbot beyond useless, it has the gall to tell you that "this isn't getting us anywhere, please ask your question clearly" when the question requires a more complex intelligence to answer it. This ticket has already been changed once but not after much stress. I had to cancel a trip to London at short notice due to Covid. I had insured the ticket using their insurance. However, the only way to cancel the flight was using the Chatbot, which then proceeded to tell me that it would not actually cancel the flight itself but send to one of it's human colleagues to cancel, and this would take about a week. Afraid that this would invalidate the protection I had purchased, I tried ringing customer service but could not get hold of them. As anticipated, on the day of the flight I receive an email saying that it was being treated as a 'no show', thus invalidating the protection. After 24 hours of trying, I was eventually able to contact a customer service advisor, who was able to verify that I had tried to contact them multiple times and was able to shift the flight for the summer. She told me that I could change the times again if, after speaking with my family and friends, the times were not good for them. However, I cannot change the flight online, and cannot get hold of customer service. I will have to contact the regulators, but unfortunately the Customer Services policy in Finland appears to be "we will just take your money and not provide any support in return". I imagine the poor people in Customer Services are also mega stressed dealing with extremely frustrated customers who feel beyond let down by this airline.
RouteHelsinki Vantaa to London Healthrow
Date FlownDecember 2021

"cheap price means cheap service"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This was my second trip on Finnair, because of the comfort and the interesting pricing. I was very disappointed by the quality of the food between Bangkok and Helsinki, quite miserable for a business class flight, but given the price, this could be acceptable. What is not acceptable is the fact that it is impossible, by any means, to reach Finnair for a change of routing: as the Thai government has cancelled the Test n Go policy, I wanted to check if I could change to a return flight to Phuket: The manage booking does not allow for any change, the chatbox refers you to an operator, it is impossible to reach anyone in Brussels or in Paris, you can stay for hours on the customer center in Finland and you do not get connected. There is no email address either. I understand that these are difficult times, but a respectable airline should be able to give a little bit more attention to passengers. For me, this experience means the end of my relationship with Finnair, and it confirms what I should have considered before: cheap price means cheap service.
RouteBangkok to Brussels via Helsinki

"worst air company"

Trip Verified | Saint-Petersburg to Zurich via Helsinki. The worst air company in the world. They cancelled our flights to Zurich from Moscow with a connection in Helsinki 7 hours before the flight itself. Then they changed out tickets into 3 connection through Helsinki and Düsseldorf. Then their crew was extremely late and we arrived to Düsseldorf 1,5 hours later then scheduled and of course, missed our flight. They didn’t give any instructions and there is no transfer desk of Finnair in Düsseldorf airport! Then they finally sent us another ticket to Zurich which was in 10 hours. We needed to sit in the airport for 10 hours and the air company didn’t provide even water. At the end they lost my luggage and of 30 other people. I don’t know when I get it back. Disgusting. The worst air company, never fly with them if you don’t wanna waste the whole day for 1,5 hour flight
RouteSaint-Petersburg to Zurich via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Had I known they were going to charge £160 extra for 2 bags and not even give lounge access should speak volumes. Furious as this new scheme has only just been introduced, previously I looked at Finnair when tickets were £2.2k with no extras. FI still can’t believe the gall. Never fly with them again, there are plenty after all.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2021

"delayed but they didn’t inform us"

Not Verified | The airline staff in Germany is very nice and helpful. The flight was smooth and the food was good. But the flight back to Germany from Bangkok is not ok, the staff at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport are so not helpful and complaining about our heavy luggage in Thai (I am Thai but my husband is German, I could understand what they talked). The flight was delayed but they didn’t inform us (the app from Finnair was not updated for this delayed information). The staff were busy charging us more money for our luggage. All in all, we would consider to take Finnair again if there are no other options.
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2021

"became low cost long haul carrier"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | Bad experience started even before flying. Customer service is unreachable, they even removed live chat button on their website. They didn't give all ground handlers specific information about covid certificates, so many passengers were refused check-in at the airport. They asked for RT-PCR, not mentioning real time PCR ir the same thing and many passengers' vacations were ruined. All flights were delayed at least for two hours, despite that they still asked us to come to the airport at original flight time. The seat was comfortable. But the meal service was so poor. Many of us are used to have at least two options of meals onboard. Well, Finnair has just one. So you have two options actually - to eat, or not to eat. If you are vegetarian, you have to book your meal in advance. Entertainment system is very poor. Selection of movies include very old 90's movies and a few newer ones. At least the screen in responsive enough, but antireflection coating would be a good a good idea. You can see a clear hierarchy in crew. There were two older ladies serving our isle and two crew members in their 20's serving another isle. You can clearly spot that younger generation has to do all the work and you can feel the tension between them. Those ladies were not even trying to do the service as quickly as possible. So younger ones even had to help them and finish our isle every time. The flight was delayed, so we missed our connection flight. They rebooked us on two more flights home. Neither the reason of the delay, nor sorry was said to us onboard. Thank god we had only had luggage. I can tell you, running in very chaotic and confusing HEL airport is no fun. It was my first time flying Finnair as I've heard many positive reviews from the past that it is the best airline in Europe. Finnair even charges for seat selection for long haul flights. And if you add a checked bag, thats a third of the price of the tickets. Finnair became low cost long haul carrier with miserable service.
RouteBangkok to Vilnius via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2021

"actually no customer service"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever. There’s actually no customer service. They lost my bag and they don’t answer the phone I had to go to the airport many times to talk to them but they ignore me. I’m very upset they are they don’t have responsibility my bag is still missing and I’m in Lapland without proper clothes for the weather. I’m in the Lapland since Dec 23, 2021 and I still couldn’t get any help or any information regarding my luggage they lost
RouteChicago to Helsinki