Finnair

"had a very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Minsk to New York via Helsinki. I had a very bad experience. Very poor customer service. I flew with infant and our flight was delayed due to unknown conditions, as a result we missed our connecting flight and were stuck at the airport in Helsinki. My infant daughter and I were left for 5 hours at the airport with no conditions for infant child do be. We were not provided a room for mother and a child, food, place to rest. We were left on the floor of the airport with a few seat places, which were already occupied by other people who missed their flight. It was horrific and traumatizing experience for my infant child and myself. Nevertheless, our suitcases were lost and my daughter stroller were broken, and we haven’t received no compensation or apologizes up till this day. I fly very often, and I never had such a bad customer service ever in my lifetime as I had with Finnair.
RouteMinsk to New York via Helsinki

"cabin crew are poor"

(Thailand)

Not Verified | Manchester to Bangkok via Helsinki. Excellent airline regard to comfort and food. However, I was very disappointed with the onboard service. I had no drink prior to boarding the plane in Helsinki and was refused a couple of bottles of wine by a horrible little flight attendant at the rear of the plane. I would have seen her point if I were drunk and abusive but she was so arrogant and full of power and her own importance it made an unpleasant few remaining hours. Even when she came round with food she was rude. I have never seen a cabin crew as arrogant as this woman was. Anyway, her attitude spoiled an otherwise good flight. Good airline and good food but the cabin crew are poor.
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2018

"experienced such good service"

Trip Verified | Finnair has provided me with outstanding service in relation to a cancelled flight: I was supposed to fly CBR-QF-SYD-AY-HKG-AY-HEL-AY-PRG on a Sunday (30 September) - on the Friday evening prior to departure I got a call from Finnair in Helsinki advising me that the flight HKG-HEL had been cancelled and that they wanted to ask me if the proposed rerouting was OK with me, i.e. instead of rebooking me a day or so later on their own flight, Finnair rebooked me on Qatar Airways Canberra to Prague via Doha on the Sunday I was originally booked to fly with Finnair. I have never experienced such good service with any other airline and congratulations to Finnair for looking after its customers exceptionally well
AircraftBoeing 777 / A350
RouteCanberra to Prague via Doha

"this low cost attitude"

Trip Verified | Riga to New Delhi via Helsinki. I decided to try Finnair as I was originating in Riga and finishing in Dublin and they had a good price for this itinerary. I decided to go for their economy comfort seats on the Helsinki to New Delhi and New Delhi to Helsinki legs, for an additional 80 euros per leg. Flight over went just fine but when I checked in for the return trip, even though the economy section wasn’t full, I noticed that someone had reserved in the seat next to me and there were 3 other empty rows, one in front of my row and 2 behind my row. When I tried to change the seat to the empty row, the web site was insisting I pay yet again another 80 euros. Instead, I kept my seat as is and just changed when they closed the doors of the aircraft and the three rows were still empty. Being a seasoned traveler and never experiencing such a thing (even Ryanair doesn’t do this!), I concluded it must be some glitch on their web checkin site, so I wrote a constructive email to their customer support about this, describing exactly what happened, explained to them how I figured it must be a glitch in their checkin online process that doesn’t recognize someone has already paid once for the Economy comfort seat. I got a response this week, nearly 2 months later, telling me there was nothing wrong with their check-in system and the passenger has to pay again if they want to change the seat, even they paid already in the same cabin. Even though the flights were quite ok, with this low cost attitude, I would strongly consider going back to my usual Air France or KLM options when traveling to New Delhi, which is a pity.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteRiga to New Delhi via Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"I recommend Finnair"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Brussels via Helsinki. Check in at Bangkok airport fast and efficient, flight to Helsinki departed 20 minutes late. Aircraft was 1 year old A350, very clean and nice aircraft, good IFE, nice and friendly crew onboard, food was really good. In Helsinki i had to be quick to catch the connecting flight to Brussels (security and passport control). Flight on time and nice cabin crew again. I recommend Finnair and would fly with them again.
AircraftA350-900 / A319
RouteBangkok to Brussels via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2018

"comfortable and recommendable "

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Beijing to Helsinki. The business class seats on the A350 have enormous space available, each seat had direct aisle access. A350 clean and the effect was spacious, the choice to not install centre overhead bins makes for a roomy atmosphere. Comfortable pillows, slippers and bedding were provided, so you can relax on the adjustable seat. The flight attendants were friendly and efficient, without overdoing it. The food was ok, I ate a slightly chewy steak. Other dishes were good, and the wines were delicious. The inflight entertainment selection was good, although not the broadest in the industry. Bose noise-cancelling headphones were provided. Overall, this was a very comfortable and recommendable flight.
RouteBeijing to Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2018

"recently let its standards fall a bit"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | On average a reasonably good airline, Finnair has recently let its standards fall a bit. After arrival in Madrid (Iberia GRU-MAD), about 5 hours before Finnair departure to Helsinki, I first noticed that there was not even terminal information for the connection on the airport monitors. A short inquiry at Iberia transit desk produced the information and I walked to the correct terminal and correct gate, to find out that the Finnair Airbus was already parked there. Nevertheless, the gate information took four hours to appear in the monitors and was the last one to do so. My confirmed aisle seat proved to be a window seat, an all to common disappointment on Finnair flights. There was not enough leg space and my knees hurt a lot during the next four hours. On EU flights, there is no meal service and the snacks for sale are both expensive and of less than satisfactory quality (hydrogenated fats, palm oil and other low quality ingredients). I was not able to open my tray because the other passenger in front of me kept it in a slightly reclined position. Had to keep my drinks in my hands, not a problem for the Finnair stewardesses. On the plus side, we were served 'free' drinks twice, tea, coffee, water and the tasty blueberry juice. There was no gate arrival in Helsinki, despite the many vacant gates, but a relatively long bus transfer. After 34 hours of travel, a gate arrival would have been welcome.
RouteMadrid to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"low-cost carrier charging premium prices"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Several flights with Finnair, the following in 2018: HEL-DEL-HEL three times, HEL-SIN-HKG-HEL, HEL-SIN-BKK-HEL, HEL-GVA-HEL, HEL-BUD-HEL, HEL-ARN-HEL etc.etc. for work and for leisure. Finnair - being the monopoly in Finland - has turned out to be a low-cost carrier charging premium prices giving null added-value for Gold Members like ourselves. Lounges frequently under construction - be it the EU or non-Schengen area - with apologies after apologies after apologies, no real customer support available ("please fill in the form online" and similar rubbish time and again). The Finnair employees - or emplyed by a subsidiary - have no clue whatsoever how to handle seasoned travellers like ourselves except for giving apologies for non-existent services that should be there for a four-star airline in the lounge and in the air. Right now waiting for a flight to Singapore in a packed lounge - surprise, under construction again - having drinks in plastic cups and awkward food with plastic cutlery. Very happy to welcome Emirates (or their subsidiary FlyDubai), Qatar Airways etc. in Helsinki to restore the trust in flying with an esteemed airline that cares for its customers. Absolutely shameful for Finnair, really. Why don't you outsourse yourselves completely? What's the point in managing things badly time and again.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHelsinki to Singapore

"definitely recommend Finnair"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Bangkok via Helsinki. All flights on time, very polite and nice cabin crew, clean aircraft. I checked in online and i got a seat in economy comfort on the Hel-Bkk flight. The food was also good and many drinks are offered. I would definitely recommend Finnair and would fly with them again.
AircraftA319 / A330-300
RouteBrussels to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2018

"the experience was smooth and enjoyable"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Premium Economy on Finnair is one of the better deals in the air. The legroom is nice, the seats are comfortable (though the same seats as regular economy) the headrests are useful for sleeping, the hour of free wifi is fun, and the noise reducing headphones are superb. Don't forget to order the Blueberry Juice-it's half the reason I get excited about a Finnair trip. The downside: the food isn't as good as you would expect, and there's not as much as on most of the competitors. Changing planes in Helsinki is not a great experience, as the airport is really not designed to manage crowds the size that flow through each day. This specific flight was was smooth, the A350 is a great aircraft-quiet and spacious. The entertainment is good, not great. If you sleep a bit on the flights you'll probably not run out of things to entertain you. The staff were the right combination of attentive but not doting. I checked in online and didn't check a bag, so I have no idea how the ground teams performed, but everything else about the experience was smooth and enjoyable.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy