Finnair

"weighing my personal bag"

Trip Verified |   This is the first time I see a regular airline weighing my personal bag First time to pay for baggage on a long trip and I had only one cabin size bag. Yet I had to pay 150 eur for baggage They only served me one meal on a 14 hour flight. On a two hour flight they only served water. Coffee was chargeable
RouteHong Kong to Berlin via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2024

"very poor Finnair service"

Trip Verified | Shame on you Finnair for daring to not only serve the exact same lilliputian so called "meals" in Economy AND in Premium Economy on my flight from Helsinki to Singapore on May 22 2024. The super mini portions both for late dinner and breakfast were plain horrible. Not only bland but really bad. I did not order special meals but will be doing so on the return in September just to check if, by some kind of magic, that could improve the experience though my expectations are now super super low. Should I add that, believe it or not, there was NO sparking water. None at all apparently or the crew was too lazy to get some from the business class. I am not drinking alcohol but was kindly offered to drink some instead of sparkling water. Also facing high sugar issues due to pancreas surgery I avoid sugary or artificially sweetened drink. I asked for a large bottle of water. The crew said they would get some but never did. Very little interaction with the crew members who, most of the time, were busy at the back of the plain, with themselves. Having visibly a great time. Should I mention that I am one of those top tier frequent flyers. For those with no status rest reassured that it made absolutely no difference at all for the crew. Anyway very poor Finnair service. Absolutely not enjoyable at all on that flight. I am writing this review as I just discovered that apparently I boarded the first flight to Singapore enjoying the "summer menus". Marketingwise Finnair is doing a fantastic job describing them on their website but in the air that is a complete different story. Awful. Shameful. Was that an error? I asked the crew but they said no. Not an error. Same incredibly poor food offering in Economy AND Premiums Economy. So basically you only pay double or more in Premium compared to Economy for the privilege of enjoying a much better seat (yes very comfortable indeed) as well as a better headset and blanket. First airline in the Oneworld alliance making that step to my knowledge. I am NOT positively impressed at all. Plus the service in general on board that flight was really poor. Shame on you Finnair! Last comment: the only item from the food offering I enjoyed was the large yoghurt served with the tiny omlet before landing in Singapore. Creamy, tasty and not much sugar (total).
AircraftA350-900
RouteHelsinki to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2024

"The worst airport and flight

Not Verified | The worst airport and flight we ever encountered. Just horrible. We were dealt in a rude, cold, inhumane manner from start to end. The airport personnel was just disgusting in a way we never encountered, anywhere in the world. The plane was dirty, crowded and unpleasant. The staff was rude and disgusting. We will surely never fly with Finnair. Such a disgrace!
RouteHelsinki to Zurich
Date FlownApril 2024

"service onboard could be better"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Modern comfortable Airbus 350. Seats are in a 1-2-1 configuration. Very comfortable with nice storage compartments. Amenity kit pretty modest. Entertainment system offers enough movies for 10 hours flight. Good selection of music and games. Champagne for welcome drink, quite tasty starter and main meal with 3 options to choose - everything on one single tray. The service provided by the crew was just ok. Professional but no extra smile. All in all that was comfortable flight with some room for improvement. I really like the modern cabin, fully flat seats/beds, selection of movies. And a price - that was much cheaper than similar service of competitors. Amenity kit, meals, selection of alcohol, service onboard could be better and more friendly.
RouteWarsaw to Bangkok via Helsinki

“a very poor experience”

Not Verified | After being booked with QANTAS (for the simple reason of knowingly having decent legroom to fit my 195cm frame) with my wife and 2 children we were switched to this alliance carrier - Finnair. Before boarding we noticed the cabin crew had no company logo on their uniform as they were local outside contractors. The seating situation onboard was abysmal, I cannot comprehend how this carrier has made this enormous plane so squished - there were several additional rows of seating than what was in our QANTAS plane on the way to BKK, which in turn meant far less legroom (nearly 3 inches less) smaller seats and nowhere to stand and stretch - which was a godsend on the QANTAS flight on the way there. The food was poor and so was the service with myself and my daughter skipped twice during food service. My Wife's chair had a broken armrest and the chair would in turn not recline. The entertainment was average at best. Pilot was great with a very smooth landing. Overall a very poor experience - definitely would not recommend.
AircraftA330-300
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteBangkok to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2024

"peculiar seat design"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Doha to Copenhagen in Business Class on Finnair. This was a codeshare with Qatar Airways which is where my ticket was booked. While Finnair's product does not approach the level of comfort and sophistication of Qatar Airways, it is nevertheless a respectable experience. The peculiar seat design - the Business Class seat does not recline but it still a flatbed - is not the most optimal but I survived. Service was warm and presented with a smile.
AircraftA330-300
RouteDoha to Copenhagen
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Finnair business class was shockingly bad"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | After experiencing Qatar Airways business class several times before, the Finnair business class was shockingly bad. Staff was mainly very unfriendly and had poor service mentality. For example, they made me forcibly take out the tray table while serving food instead of doing it themselves, and made me uncomfortable in several other ways too. Food was tasteless and simply bad with small portion sizes. It very much resembled the typical economy class food and was served in the same way from a trolley at certain times. The main course had two cardboard-like dry pieces of bread that I left untouched. Food options were limited. It was not possible to order a dessert at the same time as the starter and main; instead, I received a rude comment saying "you'll get dessert when it's the time for it." The seat without a reclining or adjustable backrest is just horrible unless your physique happens to fit the shape. The space for your feet not being concentric to the seat is such a bad design decision that it's unbelievable. I had feet and backpain as a result of spending nearly seven hours in the p.o.s. space that is supposed to be business class comfort. The entertainment system had a malfunction mid-flight and despite the attempt from the crew never recovered. Most of the content remained unaccessible for the second half of the flight. TL;DR: avoid Finnair business class. Fly with almost any other option available from the otherwise excellent Helsinki airport.
RouteDoha to Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2024

“looked like it was not cleaned”

(Finland)

Trip Verified | I flew with business class from Helsinki to Singapore and there were fazer candy wrappers in the seat and long blond hairs all over the seat. The TV screen was all greasy from the previous passengers. It looked like it was not cleaned at all. The wifi was not working on the flight at all. When you see how much Finnair charges for this flight you'll understand that things like this are a problem.
RouteHelsinki to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"the service is a bad joke"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | We had requested a premium economy upgrade for our flight and asked Finnair to either upgrade both of us or neither as we're traveling together. They upgraded me only so I had to contact their somewhat rude and not very competent customer service who then, after some back and forth and some heated discussion somehow miraculously managed to upgrade us both. Ten hours before the flight we got a notification the aircraft had to be changed, the new one doesn't have premium economy so I was moved to business and my partner to economy. Had to contact them again and be like 'hey, again, we're traveling together' please put us both in business class or economy. 'Sorry no availability' and they just close the customer service chat. Then contact them again, and same story again 'please put us then both in economy'. They eventually did, no effort made to put us eg in the first row or exit row, to mediate the whole thing. We flew back on this 13 hour and 45 minute flight, during which my partner didn't get the meal he ordered. I wrote a complaint about it when I came back and got a copy/pasted 'thank you for your input, we take it seriously to improve our services'. And that's all. I'm a platinum flyer and my partner is gold. That's the treatment. I've been flying with Finnair for about 15 years as my primary airline and half of that time as gold/platinum and I can say that their service has completely deteriorated. It was never amazing to begin with but in the past 5 years or so it's become a joke. The prices are premium, the service is a bad joke.
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2024

"bad after sales service!"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified |  Very bad after sales service! My flight from Helsinki to Paris was delayed due to a blizzard. After relutancly rebooked my connection flight to the next day, they said they do not issue voucher in Paris. How can they sell connections through Paris and don't have such Service for cases like this? Expected more from a company from finland.
RouteHelsinki to Paris