Finnair

"our transit time was too short"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Paris to Penang via Helsinki and Singapore. I thought Finnair was a great airline which offers awesome blueberry juice, but it turns out to be an illusion. I had travelled with my partner from Paris to Penang, Malaysia with transits at Helsinki and Singapore (final transit was operated by Jetstar). Our nightmare began as we did not receive all of our boarding pass at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. The staff at the check-in counter did not provide us the boarding pass for the last flight from Singapore to Penang, without explaining further to us what was the problem and just told us to “look out” for help when we reached Singapore Changi Airport. Unfortunately, we had a delay at Helsinki Airport (they waited for some passengers) and the flight reached Singapore with about 30 minutes delay. We were worried about our transit at Singapore, as the stated transit duration was 55 minutes, while the actual time left was less than 25 minutes. We quickly rushed to the boarding gate (without our boarding pass, and we couldn’t find the transfer counter while manoeuvring ourselves through the packed Changi Airport). Well, the security denied our entry to the gate, and said that we were not in the passenger list on the flight. Exhausted after sprinting to the gate, we couldn’t do anything but to see our plane leaving the gate and departing without us. We referred to the transfer counter soon after, and they told us that our transit time was too short, and it was impossible for us to board our next flight. Jetstar personnel at the transfer counter arranged for us another flight in the late evening the next day, with a free entry to a lounge. Apparently, the lounge only offered us dinner and we did not have any accommodation for that night as the hotel was fully booked, thanks Finnair. On the bright side, we were given the opportunity to explore Changi airport for 24 hours, a whole day for us to rot there. As our compensation, Finnair did not check through all of our baggage for the replacement flight back to Penang. The personnel at Penang airport helped us to make a report on our lost baggage on arrival, and we finally got them back five days later. Finnair/Jetstar only made the effort to look for our luggage on the day we called to JetStar's office, and urged them to handle the incident responsibly. Finnair/Jetstar, please make sure that your transit schedule is arranged logically and with more consideration towards travellers, and if there’s any delay, please provide us with assistance to move between the gates. To future Finnair/JetStar's client, check your transit duration between flights if you’re travelling in a long haul flight, or better yet, avoid Finnair/Jetstar.
RouteParis to Penang via Helsinki and Singapore
Date FlownAugust 2022

"the quality of their customer service has become unbearable"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | This is a trivial thing but illustrates Finnair customer service perfectly. I ordered some cosmetics while onboard, via the app, on my outbound flight and received the invoice immediately but with a higher price. I wrote to them (twice) and they responded 10 days later with 'maybe the price changed just then when you ordered'. I said 'no, the advertised price remained the same a week later on my return flight, I took a screenshot, and I think you cannot charge a higher price than what you advertised'. They said 'we can't help you because you haven't completed the purchase when you got the invoice in your email'. Then again I explained 'well, I haven't completed it because the invoice came with a higher price than what was advertised'. And so we went in a circle for a few months until they said 'Here is 10% off for future purchases in the next 2 months'. I said 'naturally, since you're offering me 10% and you know already that I am a Finnair gold member and anyway have 10% on all your products, that these two discounts can be combined'. Finnair says 'unfortunately you cannot combine these two discounts'. So, my question was 'well, what have you given me then'. No response. Trivial as it's about a small amount of money, but this absurdity is representative of the company. I've been flying Finnair more or less exclusively and have had the gold status for about 6-7 years or so, and the quality of their customer service has become unbearable. Especially when you consider that for business travel, meaning 1-3 day trips, economy class, it's not unusual to pay 400-600 EUR within Europe. Premium pricing, worse than low cost customer service. Very sad and unfortunate.
RouteHelsinki to New York
Date FlownAugust 2022

"no refunds on seat assignments"

Trip Verified | My flight was cancelled by the airline. I needed to call them to rebook my flight. I had paid for a seat assignment. Not a great amount ($33) but when I had to rebook because of their cancellation, they would not give me a refund or credit for the seat assignment?! They said no refunds on seat assignments? I asked multiple of their staff, who said they could not help me and finally I decided to try Finnair's web site, complaints. The same template response. "Seat assignments are not refundable". The flight I ended up taking was good, but amazing a small thing like this to resolve should have been a non issue!!
RouteLos Angeles to Stockholm

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | The worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They lost my bag but the worst part started after that. No news about where is my bag - 30 days have passed. No one helps. No one read emails. No one picks up the phone. No one responds to the reports filed (3 filed so far).
RouteChicago to Copenhagen via Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2022

"I will never fly Finnair again"

Trip Verified | I will never fly Finnair again. After a three hour delay made me miss my connecting flight, they rebooked me on a flight without giving me a boarding pass and which I could not print from a kiosk, forcing me to wait in a long line which caused me to miss the final flight of the day. While many others on my flight got hotel vouchers, I slept (or didn’t sleep, rather) overnight in the airport, as there was no desk or representative to offer me any options, and no support lines open. Now they are refusing to offer me any compensation because the combination of factors that led to the three hour delay frees them of responsibility. So infuriating how heartless they are.
RouteStockholm to New York JFK
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Strongly advice avoiding this airline"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | The worst airline I have flown with. Finnair charges huge premiums with no additional care from service staff. We were messed around multiple times by Finnair staff - where we originally paid for special seats, these were automatically changed so myself and my elderly Grandfather were sat away from each other. I spent over an hour in Finnair's extremely slow customer service - to which I was assured the seats had been moved back to their original spots that we had paid for. Then when checking the day before the flights - we saw our seats had been changed again. I spent another 1.5 hours in Finnair's customer service to which we were informed that our seats were changed due to my elderly companion not meeting requirements for the seat - which we were not informed in any way! Then that assistant assured us we had now been booked in for extra-legroom seats, and to our pleasant surprise - were not extra legroom when arriving at the plane, not even next to each other. Finnair charges such a higher premium over other airlines doing the same route such as Ryanair - which I have never had a problem with despite being 3 times cheaper. Blatantly scamming their customers in broad daylight with extremely high prices for food items in the cabin too - the highest I have ever seen on a plane. 8 euros for a 250ml beer, seriously? Furthermore - I paid extra for their wifi service, which only actually worked for the 20 out of 60 minutes that I paid for. Strongly advice avoiding this airline and their disorganisation.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Helsinki Vantaa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I really think this airline has lost their touch"

(Israel)

Not Verified | Flight was delayed twice, first by 1 hour and 2nd time for small number of passengers from a Frankfurt flight. Total delay time over 1.5 hrs. Kids flying with us and for some good reason they decided to wake us up twice (first time before lift off) and second time before dinner (2am!), I asked them not to wake me up after the first time but again they did so. Flight manager was very rude and not understanding of the situation I really think this airline has lost their touch, service is not as it used to be, very disappointed. They decided it’s a good idea to put 3 trays on top of each other in an unsafe way in the middle seat which could of caused a lot of harm to my kids! (Photo attached) they can wake me up before take-off but while my kids are sleeping they put dangerous items next to us!
AircraftA350-900
RouteHelsinki to Bangkok
Date FlownAugust 2022

"I have cancelled our reservation and rebooked on a less greedy airline"

Not Verified | My wife and I had round-trip Business Class reservations with Finnair from London to Bangkok. We are elderly and my wife is a very nervous flyer and so it is essential that I always sit beside her on a flight. So, I went online to make our seat selections in the usual way and was shocked to find that Business Class passengers on Finnair now have to pay extra to select their seats! So an elderly couple flying in Business Class cannot sit together unless they pay extra! I have cancelled our reservation and rebooked on a less greedy airline.
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2022

"cabin crew were very organised and polite"

Trip Verified | Flight BA 545 from Bologna to London Heathrow on 29th July was operated by Finnair. This was a delayed flight on an A321 aircraft and even with the delay I was rather impressed! The cabin crew stood in sharp contrast to the rude and indifferent Bologna Airport Staff! The Finnair cabin crew were very organised and polite and suitably firm with certain passengers during the boarding process. The cabin crew took security seriously and although the flight was under two hours they served water and crisps and hot drinks were for sale too. The crew mentioned that they were embarrassed to charge for tea and coffee on behalf of BA. There was little information from the Captain on the flight but the landing was soft and disembarkation was efficient.
RouteBologna to London
Date FlownJuly 2022

"no longer my choice of travel"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Pro: good serviced minded from Thai/ Asien cabin crews Con: uncomfortable seat, very low service mind from other cabin crew. No appetite food. No drink service. No coffee and tea served with breakfast. It was not worth for me to pay 2500 euro for this travel. Finnair is no longer my choice of travel.
RouteHelsinki to Bangkok