Finnair

"worst airline service"

Trip Verified | vBerlin to Delhi via Helsinki. 10 hours before (9pm) my journey I test positive for COVID 19 so like any reasonable human being I contact all my close contacts about the same, since Finnair customer care is anyway not open post 8pm in Germany. The next day I contacted Finnair about my situation and that I have missed my flight due to covid requesting a reschedule of my onward journey. The quote they propose for the new onward journey seemed a bit high as there were better options that flew directly to my desired destination thus, I suggested them to just keep my return journey from Delhi to Berlin. They do not reply to my email for a day and the next day informed me that since I missed my onward journey now my return journey is also cancelled. A journey which I had paid to upgrade from economy to business. The customer service is extremely rude and has no sense of empathy. The entire airline operates without a sense of caring about their guests and is just looking to scam the customer in its operating methods. I would highly suggest anyone to not fly this airline, you will be better off with the middle eastern carriers always because they always at least care about their guests, the customer service at Finnair is cold-hearted with no empathy towards their guest’s health. If you book your ticket from an agent then this is probably the worst airline service that I have encountered to date as they simply tend to pass the buck on the agent, a behaviour that I have never seen with other flag carriers like AF, SQ, EY or QT
RouteBerlin to Delhi via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2022

"Excellent value for the economy fare"

Not Verified | Modern and spacious aircraft, good entertainment, and economy included two meals, an alcoholics drink and refreshments. Polite and efficient cabin crew. Excellent value for the economy fare. Only issue was how long it took to contact the airline by phone to add baggage as the website and all do not work as advertised. Nearly 90 minutes on hold for a simple request. We also waited an hour to deplane at Heathrow due to lack of steps, but this is a Heathrow problem.
RouteBangkok to London via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2022

"quality has taken a sharp downturn"

Trip Verified | I have flown Finnair business several times and always had a very lukewarm experience. This recent flight confirmed my impression that the quality has taken a sharp downturn. There were, for example, no menus and simply a choice of 'fish or meat'. The starter was barely edible and the main quite revolting. The dessert consisted of two small pieces of cheese. Oh, the champagne, from the lower end of the market, was warm. To cap it all, the service was surly and the attendants had to be buzzed for an additional drink (of red Portuguese wine). In Bangkok, the lounge set aside for Finnair BC travellers was a general lounge and completely packed. In all honesty, apart from the bed (narrow but flat), the whole experience was economy-class circa 2000. Never again.
RouteBangkok to Rome via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2022

"Had many problems with this airline"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Had many problems with this airline, including trying to get in touch with the customer service. Every number, email and their existing website either doesn’t exist or doesn’t respond. First of all I find it appalling that even in economy class that this flight only offers one meal for a 13 hour flight. Also alcoholic beverages aren’t complimentary and are ridiculously expensive (around 10 euros for a small paper cup of wine) I decided to drink some of my alcohol that I bought in the dutyfree, and ok fair enough this is prohibited, but not only have I done this on other airlines in the past, but I was given no notification that it was prohibited. A Japanese woman came over and asked me what was in the cup and I simply told her that it was Brandenburg and kindly gave it to her, within minutes another of her colleagues came over and grabbed the cup which was empty with just ice in it and he said “this is not the alcohol you gave her, give me what you have. He proceeded to stick his hand in my bag that was sitting on the seat next to me and took out a bottle of whiskey and took it away. He also told me that this was highly illegal and that the authorities would be contacted when we landed. I spoke to another staff later in the flight and told her that most likely that I wouldn't fly with this airline again in which she told me that “we don’t care”. Even on air India which has been ranked very low at times have I been treated so poorly in my life
RouteCopenhagen to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2022

"battle to get a refund"

Trip Verified | No customer service, battle to get a refund caused through their own failure. My ticket conditions include changing the flight before and even after the flight. Made me comfortable during COVID 19 in Jan 2022 in case I do get stuck. And it happened, I was calm as I can just change my flights with no extra cost. Well, what I didn't expect was that the website shows a constant error, and didn't allow any booking changes. So ended up flying with Emirates and all I get from Finnair, AUD 118 as a refund for my flight back to Australia, which I couldn't take due to their technical issues. Great having the customer paying for their failures.
RouteDusseldorf to Singapore via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Very disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | Very disappointing experience. London wouldn’t check us in the whole way so there was a huge queue in Helsinki at the boarding gate to get our documents checked again. Secondly, I had 3 lots of seat changes to my flights without asking and or notifying me of the changes. I selected 1A in advance months prior. I noticed I was moved to another seat before departure. Spoke to customer service via chat who said 1A was blocked and unserviceable. I then moved seats online to my second choice to then find in Helsinki I had been moved again and dumped in a seat right next to the engine. And of course, when I boarded the flight someone was sitting in 1A when I had been told the seat was blocked and not serviceable. I feel like this airline doesn’t care about their customers in business class and they just blatantly lie about everything. I gave them the opportunity to rectify the issue, including providing complaint/feedback before departure which was not replied to. So it’s obvious they couldn’t care less about the quality of their business class experience.
RouteLondon to Singapore via Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2022

"A very frustrating experience"

Trip Verified | A very frustrating experience, no customer service to speak of, even when one is paying for their alleged business class, they show no respect for ‘premium’ customers. Could not get to Bangkok due to covid, was told I could change flights, but they refused to help me online. I was supposed to call their useless customer service which was impossible to reach. Therefore, am pursuing a chargeback with my credit card company as Finnair did not provide the service I paid for, and they’ve lost a customer.
RouteBangkok to Paris via Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"my ticket type doesn't qualify"

(Estonia)

Trip Verified | I had a ticket that was rescheduled. Upon inquiry with the customer service agent, for which I had to be on hold for around 45 mins on phone, I was assured that I am eligible for a full refund. So, as instructed, I canceled the ticket and applied for a refund. After a couple of weeks, I get an email saying that I do not get any refund since my ticket type doesn't qualify for one. The ticket price was around 650 euros. I thought this might have been a mistake and I can reach out to them again to reopen my case again. Only to my surprise, I see a new section in their refund form eligibility criteria that a new bullet point has been added which says the following. "there is a schedule change of more than 1 hour for your planned flight (schedule changes less than 1 hour, a refund will be based on ticket rules)" Upon checking this page's history in the web archive this was a new addition that was added recently. What a sneaky move!
RouteTallinn to Delhi via Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2022

"they managed to damage my bag"

(Croatia)

Not Verified | I have travelled a lot for work and privately and this is by far the worst airline. Their behaviour to customers is ridiculous. I flew from Zurich to Helsinki and they managed to damage my bag. I submitted a claim but 3 months later my request is still not solved. I had to purchase a new bag because I travel a lot for work but I still did not receive any money for the damaged one. They are not responding to numerous emails, you have to wait for an hour to get in contact through phone (and that of course costs additional money) and that does not resolve anything although they claim every time that they will resolve it as soon as possible. Not to mention that for a 3 hours flight you don't even get water and the staff at the airplane is very rude. Horrible experience.
RouteZurich to Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2021

"This is basically cheating by Finnair"

Trip Verified | I generally don't write reviews but after what I experienced with Finnair I decided that I am going to share my experience with everyone. I flew with Finnair from Berlin to Delhi as a round trip. The ticket I purchased did not have baggage included in it and hence had to purchase it as an add-on and the price was 70 Euros, and while going to Delhi I tried to purchase it from the Finnair website but was unable to as the site did not accept any cards, the site says that it accepts visa and master card but the transaction always fails. Luckily as I purchased the ticket from another provider called Ease my trip I contacted them and was able to add the baggage from Berlin to Delhi and was informed that during the return trip I can add it at the counter. However after approaching the counter I was informed that I will need to pay an extra 20 Euros for adding the baggage at the counter, which is absurd as I tried to use the Finnair site and also the third party service. This is basically cheating by Finnair by purposely not allowing payments on their site so that the customer will need to pay extra at the counter. As per me this is the worst airlines ever and would not suggest it to anyone.
RouteDelhi to Berlin