Finnair

"I am a bit disappointed"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Oslo to Bangkok via Helsinki. The plane from Oslo was on time, Airbus A320, i had seat 1F, and that is not a nice seat, cause its not much space for your legs. We were served a dinner on the 1h 10 min flight, looked not nice but tasted good. We arrived in Helsinki on time. We have traveled over Helsinki Vantaa airport a few times, and always they let us of in one end of the terminal, and departure in the other. This time i think i walked 25 minutes to the gate. I had plenty of time, so i searched for the Finnair lounge, no signs, but i saw it on a map, in their app, go to gate 50, then you are close. The plane to Bangkok was a few minutes late only, we waited for some pax and their luggage. The A350 is a very nice aircraft, everything looks like new. We got a welcome drink before takeoff. I had to ask for a refill, cause i was thirsty. We got a menu, both for food and drinks. It was just fish options, if not fish, a dish with oystersauce. I tried their fish starter, and had choices of cheese only. I am not sure if it is Finnairs policy because the crew do not go around and ask if we customers want refill, a bit irritating to push the service button. Same happened for breakfast, a small glass of juice, period. They had wifi onboard, but did not try to use it. Nobody seemed to clean the toilets, and they did not look nice, before arrival. Actually I am a bit disappointed about Finnair, its a big difference up to the best airlines.
AircraftA350-900
RouteOslo to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Seatback power never functioned"

Trip Verified | London to Los Angeles via Helsinki. Seatback power units on Finnair flights have never functioned and I travel with them 2-4 times per year. I posed this question to their customer relations department and their solution was to just get up and find a seat with electricity (have done this in the past and found none). The A350 is a new aeroplane for them so why this maintenance failure on every aircraft I am flown in?
RouteLondon to Los Angeles via Helsinki

"delayed all four bags"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Nagoya via Helsinki. Finnair has delayed all four bags, and have not notified us once about the current status. Neither the airline staff in Japan has any information as the airline doesn’t give them any information at all. I am redirected from various customer supports to a telephone nr that costs 3.5 EUR/min, and they charge even if you arw in a queue. I held my position in the queue until I was notified that they were going to debit me 400kr, and still was not able to speak to an operator. It has now been 24 hours and Finnair has not notified us about anything.
RouteStockholm to Nagoya via Helsinki

"very pleasant experience"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Seoul. I was warmly welcomed onboard. The aircraft looked modern and light. My experience of the staff was that they were very professional and friendly.Food, especially starters, looked almost like a piece of art and taste was great. I had not much wine this time but having three alternatives both red and white is exceptional. Overall, very pleasant experience!
RouteHelsinki to Seoul
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"It has to be one of the worst economy seats"

Trip Verified | I booked a premium economy ticket with Japan Airlines from Paris to Sydney. My flight leaving Paris (which was with Finnair) was delayed. It was a small plane and they had to reload the luggage as it didn't balance. There was only an hour between connecting flights so I missed my connecting flight from Helsinki to Tokyo with Japan Airlines. Upon arriving in Helsinki I was met by someone from Finnair who said they were putting me on a Finnair flight. I asked them what class I was being put in as my ticket was premium economy and I knew Finnair didn't offer premium economy. They told me it was economy and that there was nothing they could do. I queried this with several people before I boarded the plane which didn't seem to go down well with anybody. I was told I was holding the plane up, to get on the plane and to contact customer service when I landed. I did get on the plane and endured 9 hours of a cramped seat, an arm rest that barely fit one arm, never mind two arms and a seat with zero lumbar support. It has to be one of the worst economy seats I have ever sat in. To offer such a poor economy product in this day and age is unacceptable. I complained to Japan Airlines when I got back and they said as the flight was with Finnair I had to take it up with them. I then complained to Finnair and they have basically told me there is nothing they can do. I should be grateful they put me on a flight. They have shown no concern that I wasted money on paying for premium economy seat. Happy to take my money but not so happy to refund or compensate when things go wrong. The fact we were delayed in the first place is their fault as they did not load the plane correctly. So not only do they have a poor product but their ground staff and customer service don't have a great attitude either. I would avoid this airline if you can. I will not be flying with them again.
RouteParis to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I recommend Finnair"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Gdańsk to Hong Kong via Helsinki. Average experience with some nice aspects: blueberry juice, green tea, modern A350 aircraft. Stable product according to my experience, and all segments on time. The crew was decent. Routes via Siberia are the shortest way from Europe to Asia. There are some areas of improvement as well: quality of food on outbound segment horrible. Quantity worse than in other airlines. You need to bring your own food, because all snacks are sold for very high nordic prices. For some destinations (incl. mine) wine served both with meals and later on demand. IFE could be more extended. The plane a bit cramped with a bit tough seats. Helsinki is a typical Scandinavian airport with nice design. Nevertheless a bit overcrowded and in case of my flight long distance to be paced. I recommend Finnair, and would choose it again when price similar than offered by competition.
AircraftATR72 / A350-900
RouteGdańsk to Hong Kong via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cabin crew were excellent"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Bangkok via Helsinki. An overall great experience. The A350 was very quiet and comfortable. The cabin crew were excellent - very friendly and professional. The food and snacks were tasty and plentiful. All flights were on time although fog slightly delayed the flight from Helsinki to Manchester. I would recommend Finnair Business class.
AircraftA320 / A330 / A350
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"worst airline I have ever used"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Manchester via Helsinki. The worst airline I have ever used. The food and drink is a disgrace Bangkok to Helsinki and back gets one small meal with no desert, a virtually inedible child size meal the second meal described as a complimentary light meal is a joke and could not be described as a meal. You have to pay extra for wine and snacks, I guess that’s why the food is so bad. No food at all Helsinki to Manchester. The movie selection was just as bad the second meal on the long haul flight went straight in the bin, no snacks in between one cup of coffee all flight it’s a complete rip-off. The actual planes staff, organisation and punctuality are excellent but that does not make up for the terrible inflight experience.
RouteBangkok to Manchester via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"comfortable seats and spacious legroom"

(Japan)

Trip Verified |Helsinki to Osaka with Finnair. Boarding at Helsinki Vantaa was smooth, the plane very new with comfortable seats and spacious legroom, water offered immediately. Selection of movies and music was very limited and of low quality. The touchscreen was not working well, becoming unresponsive after prolonged use (e.g., while watching a movie). Negative points: I had pre-ordered vegetarian meals, but this information was lost in the ether, meaning they did not have the special meal requested. The cabin attendant serving my aisle though was very nice and did help in getting together an alternative meal, albeit slowly. A few cabin attendants were impolite or outright rude. Annoying commercials shown after boarding.
RouteHelsinki to Osaka
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"one of the worst airlines"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Helsinki via Bangkok. The first stage Manchester to Helsinki. Appalling no food, no TV, no adapter for charging a phone. No drinks other than water, tea, juice provided free. Everything you had to pay for. Seats ok but small even Bizz class didn’t have a tv screen. Second leg Helsinki to Bangkok 10 hour flight 1 meal very poor quality, no dessert and then a small breakfast. No alcohol drinks, no snacks all had to be paid for at extortionate pricing. Seating was very squashed and the movie selection very poor. Return trip booked but never again certainly one of the worst airlines I have used
RouteManchester to Helsinki via Bangkok