Ethiopian Airlines

"my experience with Ethiopian Airlines was excellent"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Overall my experience with Ethiopian Airlines was excellent. The planes were modern and comfortable, the flight attendants were courteous and the food was pretty good. Great in-flight entertainment too. Price was a big factor in choosing them for my trip to London and back and as the cheapest option the value I received was exceptional. I would 100% fly them again and intend to next time I make a trip with them as one of the available carriers.
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa via Cape Town
Date FlownJune 2022

"not welcoming, some were rude"

(Ethiopia)

Trip Verified | Check in went really well. When it was time to board though, the cabin crew were not welcoming, some were rude. I understand that people might not always be in a good mood, but they should also understand that we didn't do anything and all we're looking for is a safe and peaceful trip. When I got to my seat, the top cabin for Hand luggage was already filled by other passengers. I asked for assistance, but it wasn't well received by the crew. Imagine. I hope my next trip will be better than this experience.
RouteWashington to Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2022

"would not hesitate to fly them again"

Trip Verified | Check-in went smoothly and was opened 4 hours before the flight. Boarding was a relatively painless process and although masks were required a lot of passengers were not wearing them at the end of the flight. The aircraft was clean although some of the IFE screens stopped working (see picture) mid-flight. The meal was a lot more tasty than it looks – I opted for fish – but options had ran out for the passengers at the back and they were left with just pasta. I had a small bottles of euro wine which was probably undrinkable at ground level but was OK at 36,000 feet. We had fruit and a croissant for breakfast. Exiting the flight was slow largely because of the amount of hand baggage that was allowed. Overall it was good-value flight with some significant issues and the option of two 23kg bags for the basic economy price. I have flown Ethiopian several times – in both business and economy – and would not hesitate to do so again.
AircraftA350-900
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2022

"maintenance and cleanliness is a disgrace"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Although this is an 787, one of the newer aircrafts of Ethiopian airlines, the maintenance and the cleanliness is a disgrace. Service is OK, crew weren't enthusiastic, but at least got the job done. Seats are OK, considered it's 3x3x3. Many seats have malfunctioned entertainment systems. The meals were so so. The toilet is not kept clean and in a sorrowful state. All the windows on the left side of the plane failed to darken, causing passengers on that side suffering from too much glare form the sunlight, many had to use their pillow to block the window, which was funny to see. Lucky for me this is only a 2 hour flight. The plane touched down in HK airport very roughly with a loud thug and a huge bump, which startled and frightened all of us. For safety and hygiene reasons, I won't fly with them again.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2022

"We had to sit separately"

(Slovenia)

Not Verified | This was the worst airline I have travelled long distance. Neither flight was I able to sit together with my partner (all together we had 4 flights). We had to sit separately. The seats were broken. The seats in the last row were absolutely ruined, full of springs, on the way back my seat was not fixed - I could remove seating area. I also could not lean back my seat so for 5 hours I needed to sit straight up, sitting between two strong men who took up even 1/4 of my space from each side - it was the same on 2 flights. The seating area is narrow, not comfortable. One plane did not have entertainment so they say we can watch it on our smart phones but it did not work. The food was not good, they ran out of white wine. Stewardesses were not as kind as other airlines. Overall I hope I would never fly with this company again.
RouteVienna to Seychelles via Ethiopia
Date FlownMay 2022

"helped us when we needed it most"

Not Verified | My dad, sister, uncle and I are traveling to Harare and had a layover in Addis Ababa. We arrived at the airport just fine after a 12 hour flight and were in line to board our connecting flight when we realized we misplaced my sister’s passport. We were not able to board. Once we found her passport we were trying to book with the same flight the following day and the man at the customer service desk had an attitude as soon as he saw us and ignored us. He tried to charge us $300 each for switching the flight because he was clearly frustrated we missed it. Another staff went out of her way to check on us and confirm we found the passport. She then helped us get our flight switched without the ridiculous penalty fee that the rude customer employee was trying to charge for no reason. She is an amazing employee who helped us when we needed it most!
RouteWashington to Harare via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2022

"waiting for compensation for 4 months"

Trip Verified | Milan to Accra via Addis Ababa. I have been waiting for compensation for 4 months and the status is always "pending airline approval".  And it’s clear they won’t do anything about it.
RouteMilan to Accra via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2021

"I am still waiting for a refund"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | 4 months later and no refund. Do not use this airline. You can lose your money. They constantly change the date of your booked flights and even cancel your flight and rebook it without the passengers consent. They don't answer calls, emails or respond on their chatbot. They cancelled my flight without a reason so I requested a refund and they Charged me a Cancellation Fee and I am still waiting for a refund. Don't be tempted by their cheaper flight fees, its not worth it. Its stressful dealing with them with all the uncertainty of sudden changes.
RouteIncheon to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"My experience was not a pleasant one to say the least"

Not Verified | I used the airline App to purchase a ticket one month before my travels from the United States to Ethiopia and was able to reserve a specific seat at the same time. I reserved seat 50L because of my high blood pressure condition. I needed to be seated away from any active passengers to ensure I would be able to have enough sleep which was necessary due to my medical condition. On the day of my travel to Ethiopia I went to check in and discovered my seat was changed from 50L to 13B which was next to children and was in the middle. I spoke with your ticketing agent at the airport who was not willing to assist me. I then spoke to a Manager who told me they are not selling seats but are selling tickets and that seat reservations made in advance didn’t really matter. I was almost crying because the airline staff were very rude and not willing to assist me at all. I feel they were calling me a liar telling me that I had not reserved seat 50L. Another passenger who overheard my conversation with your Manager gave me her seat which helped with my situation. Once I arrived in Ethiopia I went to the Addis Ababa office Which is the one in Addis Ababa to speak with someone concerning the negative experience I had with my seat reservation. Your staff member took my statement and I was told by her that I would receive an email containing the report your staff member had written. As of today, I have not received an email. I then asked her for assistance with my seat reservation for my return flight. She confirmed seat 50L was reserved for me and apologized for the negative experience I had on my flight to Ethiopia. Three days prior to my return flight back to the United States, I checked to confirm once again that I was seated in seat 50L. I then discovered that my seat reservation had been changed to seat 27B. I was really upset and when I contacted your airline I was told my seat had changed due to a change in the aircraft for the return flight. I asked why your airline does not send out an email when they change a passengers seat reservation, the agent on the phone for your airline told me that the best seat is always given to a Crew member. I was completely was shocked to hear that. I went to the Ethiopian Airlines office again to fix my seat reservation to what your agent had reserved for me. I spent three days of my vacation going from one office to another office to resolve my seat reservation problem as your App was giving me a system error. My negative experience with Ethiopia Airlines makes it less likely that I will use your airline for my travels to Ethiopia. I feel your management team needs additional training in customer service and your reservation system needs to be looked at so that your customers are alerted via email when their seat reservation has been changed. My experience with Ethiopia Airlines was not a pleasant one to say the least.
RouteWashington DC to Ethiopia
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"hostesses said there was nothing they could do"

Trip Verified | Pity, because it had all started very well: modern, clean aircrafts, very good inflight service, competitive prices, but one can truly evaluate any company by the way they will handle a problem: Ethiopian is one of the few airlines offering to buy extra seats in order to enjoy extra space and I was very happy to be able to have the whole row for myself for as little as an extra 195 US dollars for a night flight, but once in the plane, the two, booked and paid for, seats were occupied by other passengers. The hostesses said there was nothing they could do, although they could have moved those persons to other empty seats or even upgrade me and simply said I should write to customer service. All my efforts have remained hopeless ever since. Never again
RouteNairobi to Paris CDG via Addis Ababa