Ethiopian Airlines

"ridiculous cheap airline"

(Austria)

Not Verified | I just finished 4 flights from Vienna to Addis Ababa and then to Kenya and then the same for the return trip. On every flight, most of the screens were not working or not working properly. The staff were rude with the exception of the nice girls who were at the check-in counter in Vienna. The food was mediocre at best andseats are uncomfortable. I offered to pay for an upgrade on both the longer flights when I arrived at the airport and was told it was not possible despite there being availability. Just a ridiculous cheap airline.
RouteVienna to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2021

"such exemplary client care"

Not Verified | My 85 (almost 86) year old mother was the passenger. I was just doing my best to see to it that my mom was all set, and I am astonished at how well she was treated! From Houston IAH I put my mom on a flight that stopped in Dulles. Over the phone, I was doing my best to help her manage her flight from Dulles airport to her final destination of Zambia Africa. It was nerve wracking, but the crew stepped up and managed everything with such kindness and gentleness toward my mom, that I wanted to say thank you to Ethiopian Airlines for such exemplary client care!
RouteHouston to Zambia
Date FlownMay 2021

"not possible to take the souvenirs on board"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | We bought souvenirs (2 ebon giraffes) that we planned to transport as carry-on luggage, like we did many times before on our trips to Africa. We realise the items were slightly taller than carry-on limitations, but this was never a problem with other airlines in the past and other passengers had similar size souvenirs on board. At the check in counter, we were told that it is not possible to take the souvenirs on board and that we need to check them in. We told the employee that the items are very fragile and very expensive, he told us that the airline has separate containers for fragile items and that the souvenirs will not be damaged. We reluctantly agreed as we were not presented with any other options. On our arrival to Milan, we could immediately see that the package was handled with extreme negligence! The package was ripped od several places and it was obvious that the items inside were broken on multiple places. Now, they do not plan to make any effort to resolve the issue, even though the damage occurred solely because we followed their employee demands and assurances against our wishes.
RouteAddis Ababa to Milan
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I had enjoyable flights with Ethiopian"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Both flights were on time. The seats were in a 2-2-2 configuration, with no direct aisle access of window seats. Plenty of legroom but no privacy due to the rather old seating. Sufficient entertainment system with good amount of movies and music. No wifi at all on both flights because of the aircraft type (B787-8) Crew was helpful and courteous at all times. Food was average, probably because of the pandemic it was more like premium economy. All in all, i can say I had enjoyable flights with Ethiopian.
RouteAthens to Sao Paulo via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"this was a near-perfect flight"

Trip Verified | Given the circumstances this was a near-perfect flight. It was an A350 with the old-style side-by-side seating which, if there is nobody next to you, is probably better than the new seats. Having slept on both within several days the old seemed more comfortable than the new. Boarding was quick and painless and I was quickly served with a glass of (almost) chilled champagne. Topping it up is always a nice touch. The cabin was very clean and the surfaces had clearly been wiped. The temperature was perfect throughout – warm enough for a good sleep. I opted for the fish and although it was served on a tray, it was on a dish with metal cutlery. It would have been nice to see a printed menu but I could understand why. The cabin and flight crew were meticulous in following covid rules and the toilets were kept spotless. One of the advantages of covid flying in near-empty business sections – and therefore less chance of being near a heavy snorer. There were occasionally bumpy patches but, unlike some airlines, the pilots did not resort to switching on the seat belt sign every time or leaving it on too long. There was really nothing that one could fault with this flight and, for the price and the timing, it offered excellent value for money. The only change the airline should make is offer business passengers free wifi.
AircraftA350-900
RouteAddis Ababa to London
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Food was OK but not memorable"

Trip Verified | Having received an email from the airline telling me I had to arrive at the airport FOUR hours before the flight I then waited an hour before staff arrived. They hadn’t a clue why we had received the email. Business passengers go through a separate entrance which I suspect was slower than the normal route. Two pleasant immigration officers spent an inordinate amount of time checking my exit form. The lounge was empty when I arrived except for the Ethiopian crew gorging themselves. The lounge has PIR-activated lights which kept on switching themselves off if no movement was detected. Equally annoying were the continual announcements that the country had banned the use an import of plastic bags in order to “save the environment”. All very worthy. Boarding was relatively quick with the ground crew insisting that everyone wore a mask. Again very encouraging – except many passengers had half-removed them before they reached the aircraft including a returning pilot sitting in business. The aircraft was a little worn but adequate. I received a warm glass of champagne but had to ask for it. Food was OK but not memorable. As we approached Addis I obediently complied with the cabin crew’s request to put my seat upright – but the pilot sitting in business evidently believed that the rule did not apply to her and remained reclined during landing.
RouteDar es Salaam to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"flight offered value for money"

Trip Verified | Check-in at LHR was semi-chaotic with no distancing and a crush as passengers with huge amounts of baggage pushed their way through. There was no business priority lane. The only lounge open was Lufthansa’s uninspiring offering with beer or wine being served from a desk and a selection of food. Despite travel restrictions most LHR T2 travellers seemed to be retired couples. Boarding was slow with no priority for business but once on board it was a nice surprise to discover it had the new individualised seat layout. Cabin crew was quick to serve a glass of champagne and a refill. The movie selection was dire. Wi-Fi failed to connect to the satellite throughout the flight. The food choice was beef, chicken or fish and although it was served in a more premium economy style – a covid precaution – it was more than sufficient. The cabin crew was attentive in keeping my glass full. The flat bed was slightly narrow but not to extent that I was unable to sleep. Overall, this flight offered value for money and I arrived feeling relaxed.
AircraftA350-900
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"cabin crew were efficient and pleasant"

Trip Verified | It was a nice surprise to find a 787 rather than a 737 that they often use on this route. Although it had an old-style side-by-side business seats the front of the plane almost empty and so it was not an issue. A glass of champagne was served very promptly and refilled – a nice trick other airlines should learn. The choice of food was limited to chicken or beef and I chose the former which came covid-style but with a pleasant couscous and prawn. There is no Wi-Fi on the aircraft and I did not check the movies. The cabin crew were efficient and pleasant.
RouteAddis Ababa to Dar es Salam
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"airline seems to do a very good job

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Online check in through the app very good. Luggage drop off in Athens, was a biut chaotic as there were a lot of people with excessive luggage on the counter line. The agents were very good though. The 1st flight was delayed more than an hour, however as I had almost 5 hours stop-over in Addis Ababa, this was not a problem. The flight was coming from Moscow and the majority of the passengers were from Russia. Almost full, however no-one next to me. Comfortable aircraft and seat and good food service (hot tasty meal). Cabin crew wear traditional Ethiopian dresses, which looks very nice and they are polite and nice, although strict regarding the wearing of masks (which they should be). Addis Ababa is a big hub, very busy in the morning that we arrived (although during covid times). A lot of aircraft arrive at the same time and many passengers have to catch connecting flights, this was done efficiently though. The airport is not particularly luxurious or extra comfortable, however not bad either. Would have preferred a shorter connection, however I knew about it when I booked it. The 2nd flight was on time, uneventful, another nice warm meal in a 2 hour flight. Landing smooth and collected luggage pretty quickly. This airline seems to do a very good job, is the leader in African aviation and competes well all major carriers - seems that they directly compete the Gulf carriers on many routes pretty well.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 767-300
RouteAthens to Entebbe via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2020

"they informed me a PCR was required"

Trip Verified | I flew from Cape Town to Dubai via Ethiopia. The Dubai government website states a PCR test can be completed on arrival in Dubai. When I checked in at Cape Town airport Ethiopian airport staff did not request a covid test to board my first leg to Ethiopia. However I was denied boarding in Ethiopia as they informed me a PCR was required. I was forced to spend 2 days in Ethiopia waiting for a PCR test which was costly. I understand requirements need to be met but I’m deeply dissatisfied that the PCR wasn’t requested to board in Cape Town as the airline were well aware of my entire journey and end destination. When I raised the matter with the airline their only response was that it was mentioned on their website.
RouteCape Town to Dubai via Ethiopia