Ethiopian Airlines

"hostesses said there was nothing they could do"

Trip Verified | Pity, because it had all started very well: modern, clean aircrafts, very good inflight service, competitive prices, but one can truly evaluate any company by the way they will handle a problem: Ethiopian is one of the few airlines offering to buy extra seats in order to enjoy extra space and I was very happy to be able to have the whole row for myself for as little as an extra 195 US dollars for a night flight, but once in the plane, the two, booked and paid for, seats were occupied by other passengers. The hostesses said there was nothing they could do, although they could have moved those persons to other empty seats or even upgrade me and simply said I should write to customer service. All my efforts have remained hopeless ever since. Never again
RouteNairobi to Paris CDG via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"extremely bad customer service"

(Cyprus)

Not Verified | It's such a shame because in December I had paid a fee to change my ticket and now I can't change it again apparently even If I offer to pay the change fee. All other airlines let passengers change their tickets a minimum of two times, but I guess you want to give out bad experiences to everyone who tries to book with you. It's unacceptable that you expected me to fly last year during a time when borders were not even fully operating and you would not even let me change the destination so that I could at least fly somewhere where COVID restrictions were better. You only gave me a voucher to use within 2021 as if we were not in the middle of a global pandemic. This specific ticket I had booked with 3 other friends of mine, everyone received a refund from their airline except me and I had been battling with this case for two years now. You should at least have a policy that allows you to change your ticket if it's of a significant amount, which mine was. This is just extremely bad customer service and it's definitely sad that this image is what represents this airline. Thanks for not helping and thanks for overcharging.
RouteAthens to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownMarch 2022

"giving priority to its employees over passengers"

Trip Verified | Having flown on Ethiopian Airlines number of times before I knew what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that the A350 had its latest business seats which were fairly standard although hiding the remote control in a cupboard did not seem to make much sense. As I arrived, despite only half the seats being occupied at that point, all of the overhead bins occupied and many of them were larger than the size the airline allows. I asked one of the cabin crew what was happening and she conceded – very apologetically – that all of the bags belonged to crew members. I managed to squeeze my bag next to an oversized pilots’ case. There seem to be at least five pilots occupying seats largely at the front of the business cabin which, of course, meant that they were served food and drink first. If Ethiopian Airlines wants to achieve reputation for being the best airline in Africa then it should try to emulate best practice and seemingly giving priority to its employees over passengers who had paid a significant amount of money to fly business class is not the best way of doing this. The cabin crew seemed embarrassed but clearly did not feel able to challenge their pilots. Other than this irritation the flight was smooth, the service efficient, the seats comfortable and both getting on and off the aircraft went smoothly.
AircraftA350-900
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"cabin crew didn't help at all"

Trip Verified | Travelling with twin babies and a toddler and the cabin crew didn't help at all with anything. We were last to get of the plane because of luggage and they just watched and didn't lend a hand at all for anything.
RouteGaborone to London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Service quite messy on some legs"

Trip Verified | Brand new A350 but with old 2-2-2 C configuration. Clean and modern cabin, comfortable seat but with smaller pitch than older 777-200ER aircraft. Friendly crew. Service quite messy on some legs. Very poor catering (except good beverages): looks like Economy class food with bigger portions. A real shame to serve this to business class pax. First time I had to decline it. No traditional Ethiopian food like in the past on none of 4 legs. All flights on time. New business lounge in ADD very spacious with good amenities and food options.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 777-200ER
RouteFrankfurt to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2021

"refused to respond to my refund request"

(Uganda)

Trip Verified | I booked a flight and Ethiopian Airlines issued a ticket. After a day I heard from a friend that this airline was banned by Dubai from flying passengers from Uganda because they carried 9 passengers with expired Covid-19 results. I reached out to the airline and all they had to say is we don't have flights to Dubai. Why did they issue the tickets. Worst of all, on the flight date (17.10.2021) i received an email from the airline that the flight has operated a day before i received an email from their airport office that the flight will not operate. And they are unresponsive, they are giving different information and have refused to respond to my refund request if they cannot take me to Dubai.
RouteEntebbe to Dubai via Addis Ababa
Date FlownOctober 2021

"Mytrip is not taking any responsibility"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I booked my return tickets from Johannesburg to Delhi via za.mytrip.com last year April for 2 people, reference number (L0JVZZ) , but flight got cancelled due to covid 19, I was given vouchers and was told that if I cancel my tickets after 1 year I would get full refund otherwise there will be a penalty deducted, I had to travel twice to India since that time but have not been able to use the vouchers as flights are still not operating. I have been asking for refund for long time, but za.mytrip.com refused to pay back now. It is so pathetic, feeling so frustrated and cheated. I am just trying to get my money back. It has been 18 months now. Extremely poor customer service by these two companies. Mytrip is not taking any responsibility or helping anymore.
RouteJohannesburg to Delhi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I have never see a lazier group of flight attendants in my life"

Trip Verified | I've flown Ethiopian Airlines a couple of times and have been generally satisfied. Not the best but better than many. I recently flew from ADD to IAD. This was a horrible flight. 1) A flight attendant was serving water in the cabin (nice since they confiscated all water bottles before boarding). I was seated in the back of a cabin. She ran out of water and never came back. Who cares? 2) The food and beverage service was absolutely the slowest I've ever seen in my life (out of about 100 trans-Atlantic flights). You would have had to work hard to go any slower. There were two flight attendants serving - and two standing around doing absolutely nothing. I have never see a lazier group of flight attendants in my life. 3) The food was worse than bad - inedible. The beef was nothing but grizzle and fat - I wouldn't serve this to my dog. No plan or organization for service - none. Terrible flight. Among the worst flights I've been on. The cabin crew was lazy beyond words. Avoid this airline if at all possible.
RouteAddis Ababa to Washington
Date FlownAugust 2021

"a terrific airline"

Trip Verified | Fantastic journey. Flew on a Q400 turbo prop from Khartoum to Addis Ababa. They served a hot meal in economy on a turboprop 2 hr flight. From Addis Ababa to Kilimanjaro (with a stop without deplaning in Zanzibar) I also had great service in economy with a hot meal. The boarding procedure was very well organized and enforced (by boarding zone). The A350 from Addis Ababa to JRO had a great inflight entertainment selection. Ethiopian is a terrific airline.
AircraftQ400 / A350-900
RouteKhartoum to Kilimanjaro via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Ethiopian staff are refusing to help book new flights"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | My children are stuck in transit in Ethiopia as Ethiopian Airlines keeps delaying their next flight. They told the children that it’s because of weather but many planes are arriving and departing no worries so the weather excuse is obviously a lie. Now it’s over 12 hours! They have now missed their connecting flights and Ethiopian staff are refusing to help book new flights for them or pay for new connecting flights with the airline of the connecting flights which they missed. Disgusting. Did not even give the children a hotel to rest in even though they delayed the flight for over 12 hours.
RouteKilimanjaro to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa