Copa Airlines

"I’ve been requesting a refund for the last 5 months"

Not Verified | I booked a flight with Copa to Aruba from Los Angeles. Due to covid, the flight was cancelled. Totally understandable. I was given a travel credit good through the end of 2021. When looking at available flights options, there were none for my original destination. I requested a refund of my original fare. By law, if the airline cancels the flight for any reason you’re entitled to a refund. It’s now been almost 2 years since I originally purchase my tickets. I’ve been requesting a refund for the last 5 months. I can’t even get a response. I’d highly suggest anyone looking to book a time keg and hoping for a shred of customer service avoid this airline at all cost! It’s one thing to have a delayed refund given the circumstances, quite another thing to be ignored and disregarded for 5+ months.
RouteLos Angeles to Aruba
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"never fly with Copa again"

Not Verified | At the airport in São Paulo the Copa attendant who did our check in was extremely rude and uncooperative. First, he gave us a hard time because of the doctors signature on the Covid test. Copa changed our flight leaving us with a 22 hour layover in Panama. When I contacted Copa requesting a change in my flight, I was told that I had to pay an extra US $5,000 to change it. At the check in in São Paulo, we were told that we needed an International yellow fever certificate to enter Panama. The attendant said that we didn’t do our job gathering the travel requirements necessary for our flights, which is a lie! I got into Copa’s website right away, typed in our flight itinerary and the information about the yellow fever certificate was not there. Well, needless to say that we almost missed our flight trying to resolve the issue. The Copa attendant told us that if we had booked our flight directly through Copa, that we would have received all the necessary travel requirements, but that was too bad that we booked our tickets through a third party. Well, now we are being punished for not buying directly from Copa. If you are going to give your customers a very hard time because they book their flight with a third party vendor, you might as well stop vendors from selling your flight tickets. I will never fly with Copa again.
RouteSão Paulo to Los Angeles via Panama City
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Pathetic service Copa Airlines"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | We caught a flight from Panama to Mexico with Copa Airlines, and the woman at the counter assured us the bag would fly straight to Leon and the bag tag she gave us showed the bags were booked all the way to Leon. However when we got to Leon guess what no bags, so we thought its ok they will send the bag on the next flight. Since the bags did not arrive on the next flight we then contacted the connecting flight airline which was Aeromexico, they were quick to assist and track down that the bag never got on to their plane in Mexico, the system still showed that Copa Airlines still have the bag in their possession. We phone the Copa customer service and what a waste of time, you spend 20 min before they answer the phone then you give them all the bag tag and flight numbers only for them to tell you that the provided numbers that they issued you with, are not working on their system. Copa customer services then tell you to fill in an online form for them to search for the bag? Why could that form not be filled by the customer services agent while he was on the phone and already had all the details? Guess what, all that for nothing! Bag still not found - Pathetic service Copa Airlines.
RoutePanama to Mexico via Leon
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"I will not use Copa Airlines again"

Not Verified | I will not use Copa Airlines again even before I have flown it tomorrow. The are unreachable by phone until I used the contact number for Canada from the US and waited about 45 minutes. Their app is horrible. When I tried to enter my credit card, it required that I select a country. However, the United States of America or USA were not on the list. I checked it 6 times to make sure. The website is just as bad. I tried to upgrade seats and pay. Each time it rejected my credit card. Tried this an unbelievable 9 times before I accepted their stupidity. Quite honestly, after this experience, I am afraid of what actually checking in and flying is going to look like. My first experience with Copa and very well will be the last unless something miraculous happens tomorrow when I fly.
RouteChicago to Rio de Janeiro via Panama City
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"flights have been completely changed"

Not Verified | We purchased our tickets 6 months ago. 2 weeks prior we noticed the flights have been completely changed to a different schedule. Called to fix it and found out two legs were completely cancelled without notifying us while the flight status online still showed on time. We were given only one 35h option for a previously 12h route including sleeping on another city. We had to take it. We were told that we would still have the upgraded seats we purchased (50 dollars each leg for me and wife= US$400 total). Got to the terminal and were told we would just get whatever was left by a very rude attendant. Tried to call customer service about seats and hung up on us. It's incredible that a corporation can get away with treating people like this.
RouteLos Angeles to Rio de Janeiro via Panama City
Date FlownDecember 2021

"My recommendation is to use another airline"

Not Verified | I am gold member for more almost 10 years with Copa. There is absolutely no difference between elite status and economy in this airline. There is not even a preferential line for boarding. The VIP lounge has only coke and chips, and unfortunately the service of the staff is bad all around. My recommendation if the choice is available is to use another airline. American Airlines for the same route for instance is excellent and cheaper.
RoutePanama City to Lima
Date FlownDecember 2021

"commend the service I received"

Trip Verified | I travel often and I have to commend the service I received from Pedro. (As we checked in) I don't know his last name but he's from Peru and works out of the Miami Airport. He went above and beyond his duties helping us and answering every question we had. His knowledge and professionalism helped us answer all of our questions
RouteMiami to Panama City
Date FlownDecember 2021

"Stunningly bad service at every opportunity!"

(Peru)

Trip Verified | Stunningly bad service at every opportunity! Called COPA customer service the night before my trip to try to change my ticket. After being kept on hold for more than an hour, an agent was not able to change my ticket as I had hoped, but did me the disservice of erasing all my seat assignments on my original flights without telling me. So, the next day I flew in horrible seats instead of the exit row seats I had selected. Next interaction: I tried to use COPA's website to buy my partner a seat next to mine. I tried three times, and the website produced an error message each time. Then I tried to call COPA's customer service line three times to buy the seat; each time I gave up after being on hold more than one hour. Today I finally got through to an agent to buy the seats after only 10 minutes (yippee!), but he inadvertently hung up on me while processing the transaction. Bottom line, if you want to fly an airline with horrible customer service, COPA is the airline for you. Otherwise, you might try another airline.
RouteLima to San Francisco via Panama
Date FlownNovember 2021

"I would 100% use them again"

Trip Verified | Wanted to start off this review by saying: Remember most people only leave reviews when they have a bad experience. So having said that, our experience was great with Copa Airlines! We booked in August $500 to Costa Rica and back. Which was a great deal and when I later checked the prices in October it was up to $1500! Obviously reading the reviews I got so scared our tickets would be cancelled or something so I legit didn’t start booking things for our trip until a week or two before. The day of our flight came and everything checked out, we checked in online easily, I love that we got to pick our seats without paying (not many airlines do that nowadays), and when we got to the airport - because we only had carry-ons and already checked in - we were able to go right through security. The two flights we took there left on time, we were served a sandwich on the 5 hour one, and were perfectly good flights! Crew was nice, COVID protocols were followed and we got to our destination on time! I was also shocked we got our own entertainment service in economy class (private TV with movies and games and a USB charger). They also handed out headphones for free (even thou I had some they are the iPhone ones and don’t fit for the TV so they gave me a pair - I’ve been on other airlines where they wanted to charge me $16). We fly back in a few days and I have no worries at all. I would 100% use them again and probably will if I can get good priced flights!
RouteToronto to Costa Rica via Panama
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Thank you United, we will stay away from Copa"

Not Verified | Stay far far far away from Copa Airlines. Joke of an airline service. Unable to assist customers whatsoever. Phones are disconnected. Website is down. They changed our flights and there was no alternative way to reach them. Our last resort was to drive to the airport two weeks before our departure to speak to a Copa representative but even so, no one would be present at the airport until a few days before our departure so too risky to wait that long. We miraculously were helped by United Airlines because they partner with Copa in some of their flights. Thank you United, we will stay away from Copa and share this horrible experience with everyone that we know.
RouteDenver to Costa Rica