Copa Airlines

"the gate was changed three times and we missed our flight"

(Costa Rica)

Trip Verified | I can’t blame the staff necessarily but the gate was changed three times and we missed our flight because there was no announcement message sent and they didn’t update the board to show the new flight change, on our connecting flight we all went to the gate on our ticket and when we got there they said oh no the gate was changed and it was over a kilometre away to the other side of the Panamanian airport, we got there 15 minutes before the flight was supposed to leave but they already had the doors closed and said because everyone had boarded, they were going to leave early and sorry once we close the doors we can’t let you in. Because we missed our flight we missed our pick up ride that was prepaid and our first reservation for the trip.
RoutePanama City to Medellín
Date FlownJune 2022

"never fly with this airline again"

Trip Verified | The staff at Panama Airport lost or stole one of the items I was forced to check in. They charged me $50 US to check in a skateboard with no metal and no wheels on it. This was a gift for my son. When I got home I filed a claim with the company website which said I would receive a reply ‘within 25 days’ (?). The company representative that I finally reached could not find any scans of this item, meaning that it was not scanned at the point of origin and that it was stolen. I will never fly with this airline again. Pay the extra money and fly with a better airline or take a picture of the staff that checks your bags in case you suffer the same fate as I did.
RoutePanama City to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2022

"gave me the last row seat in the middle"

Trip Verified | I paid seat selection but they did not allow me to select my seat. They gave me the last row seat in the middle, for me that is the worst seat ever and I did not have a say. Also the food is not good and the entertainment on board is very limited.
RouteToronto to Lima via Panama
Date FlownMay 2022

"No amount of pleading with the staff would change anything"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | I paid extra for all my four flights on COPA to have the Exit row seat 17A for the extra legroom. At Panama airport, upon boarding March 1st to Toronto, the ticket agent ran after me and gave me a different boarding pass, putting me into an awkward, painful middle seat 7B (which is not in my listed preferences). No amount of pleading with the staff would change anything. I questioned the man sitting in my 17A seat and he said that he also paid for that seat online. So obviously I was unceremoniously bumped due to double booking by COPA. Such practices should be illegal. The problems they cause do not help the airline's reputation! Then, my backpack could not be stowed because all the overhead bins were full and it ended up being thrown in cargo and sent on the conveyors to Carousel 12 at YYZ, and it was damaged as well. I was absolutely livid at such cavalier abuse of an old man. I completed a post-flight survey with my complaint but have received no satisfactory response to date. I am a 220 lb 72 year-old great-grandfather who endured an awful, painful flight for 6 hours in a middle seat at the hands of COPA. I have since been in touch with COPA Customer Service (that's a joke) who refunded me $26.25 and offered a $50 travel voucher only good for one year. As if I would ever fly with them again if there were other alternatives.
RouteCali to Toronto via Panama City
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Impersonal service"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | On time performance. Seat / sleep comfort affected by the narrow feet rest area. Impersonal service with generic food. Poor amenity kit. Loud advertising running in a continuous loop until take off, not taking in account the late departure time in the night. Good IFE with terrible outdated film choices. Mediocre headphones.
RouteSan {Paulo to Quito via Panama City
Date FlownMay 2022

"worst airline I've ever witnessed"

Trip Verified | The airline decides to change our original departure/return times, and we call trying to adjust our flights accordingly a normal procedure for most flights. Copa Air is the biggest scam I've witnessed they basically switched one of our flights to profit off of us by giving us an undesirable flight at 2 am and when we called to correct it they tried to charge us an exorbitant fee of "$3000" to return our original departure time of 3pm. This has to be the worst airline I've ever witnessed. Instead I am forced to pay 300 and rebook with american airlines instead. Disgrace of an airline.
RouteNew York to Medellin via Panam
Date FlownMay 2022

"the most incompetent airline"

Trip Verified | Bag was submitted at checkin counter in São Paulo CM758 One bag never arrived. 2 bags did arrive ok. When I got to LAX I contact Copa Airline for my missing bag and they told me that would contact me back by email but it been almost 3 mouths and still no contact or help from Copa. I called every week and they put me on hold for one hour and never solve my problem. Missing bag is probably in São Paulo GRU, The ID was attached to the bag and the bag went on conveyor behind checkin desk but I’m not sure where is my bag, Copa airlines did not do anything to find my luggage it like they don’t care and all my clothing is gone. I don’t know what to do anymore to get my bag back or to get hold with Copa. I sent multiple email and no answer. Please don’t flight this Airline they are the worst and the most incompetent airline.
RouteSao Paul to Panama City
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"what a disappointment"

Not Verified | First time traveling in Copa and what a disappointment, first they changed the schedule in the departure times from New York to Quito with the difference of 4 hours, of course now two people in the group can’t make it and when I tried to change the dates for this people it took me two weeks to be able to change the flights for these passengers. Two weeks calling almost every day with different options for different dates to only find out that my requests were denied by Copa Airlines because it was their convenience not to accept my requests and make this process last as long it was possible, to finally said that now it is high season and charged me and extra $1315. What a shame, what a scam.
RouteNew York to Quito via Ansonia
Date FlownApril 2022

"never again use this company"

Not Verified | I purchased ten tickets total and needed one more. Instead of helping I was told every time too bad so sad. Horrible experience. 4/4/2022 called customer service There were supposed to be 9 tickets total in my group. There was only eight- when I checked the prices, I saw that they were double the price of what I originally paid for my tickets. I called and explained the situation, I was told that there was nothing they could do to help and that I would have to buy a new ticket at the new price 4/6/2022 spoke to customer service. Tried to explain situation, he stated he could not help and was unable to make any changes. Asked for a supervisor and was told the answer was not going to change and that the supervisor was unwilling to speak to me I placed a ticket on 24-hour hold. When I tried to pay for it later that night, the website would not allow me to make that payment. 4/7/2022 spoke to customer representative, tried calling to pay for ticket since the website was not working. I was told that the ticket was no longer valid. I asked if they could match the price which was $100 cheaper. They said no and that I would purchase the new ticket at the new price. Unable to help me and unwilling to transfer to a supervisor- when i asked why? he said because the answer was not going to change, and the supervisor was not willing to speak to me. Supervisor unwilling to help or make adjustment. My question is it worth to not help your customers over $100 dollars? My family and I make this trip constantly- i purchased ten tickets all together and the unwillingness to help is astonishing. I will never again use this company and make sure that my family members don't either.
RouteLos Angeles to Quito via Panama City
Date FlownApril 2022

"suggested I bring food from home to save"

Trip Verified | 2 days before my trip they canceled my connecting flight and "accommodated " me on another one 11 hours later. That turned my 10 hour flight into a 21 hour one. Then they proceeded to remind me, that if I "chose" to cancel, my $500 dollar ticket was nonrefundable. When I told the customer service rep that I would also have to make new transportation arrangements that would cost more money plus buy food for the day, she suggested I bring food from home to save.
RouteLas Vegas to Havana via Panama