Copa Airlines

"unreasonably bad and negligent"

Trip Verified | Copa is an unreasonably bad and negligent company. Our packages did not arrive despite the plane being empty. The support on the ground was absolute trash, negligent, rude and unhelpful people all around. From the support staff to the check in gates staff, to the manager in Rio everyone treated us excessively poorly. The food on board was also inedible. Never fly Copa
RouteMontreal to Rio de janeiro via Panama
Date FlownJuly 2024

"customer service is exceptional"

Not Verified |   Copa's customer service is exceptional. I have been scheduled for surgery and had to cancel a round trip flight leaving 4 days from now, with a return flight in 2 months. I have a full credit for me and my spouse, no hassle, with 1 year window. Other carriers provide flyer miles that expire, have black-out dates (so you can't fly), or change programs mid-stream. Copa has a heart and a sensible, efficient customer policy that places the customer first! Thank you Copa. Just one more reason to leave the USA and move to Panama!
RouteOrlando to Panama City
Date FlownSeptember 2023

“my request to cancel was refused”

Trip Verified | On October 17th, 2023, I purchased a round-trip flight from Boston to Sao Paulo. I opted for a more expensive option (Economy Classic - $130 more) to have the flexibility to change flights if needed. When I attempted to change the final destination (to Salvador), I was informed that I couldn't even change the date because such changes must be requested more than 8 days ahead of time. This means I paid $65 for the ability to change the outgoing date within the next 2 days. Despite receiving conflicting information from various customer service representatives, my request to cancel the entire flight due to the unsuitable itinerary was refused. They offered credit for the same route, valid for a year, but I requested credit for a different destination within the Star Alliance's network, which was also denied. Having to adhere to the original itinerary resulted in a long layover and a change of airports at my final destination, causing additional problems. On my return from Salvador (November 8,2023), my flight was scheduled to arrive at 3:30 pm in Sao Paulo Congonhas airport. After arriving at Guarulhos airport at 5:30 pm, I waited at the terminal for my flight. It was past midnight, and the airport had few travelers. Despite waiting in line ahead of time to check in, when I finally made it to the check-in counter, the agent claimed they had called for passengers for my flight, but I did not hear any announcements in English or see important messages on the screens. The boarding crew was unwilling to wait, and the agent could not recheck me for the next flight. He provided a piece of paper and advised me to call Copa Airlines customer service for assistance. Despite calling for the next 6 hours, no one answered the phone. I also tried reaching out by email (Claim# 2077578) and wrote an urgent request but received only an acknowledgment of the claim on November 15 (7 days after). When I finally reached customer service by phone at 7 am, they rescheduled me for a flight 24 hours later with a long layover in Panama City and charged an additional $75 for processing the request. My travel time from Salvador was from 12:55 pm when my flight departed to 6 pm the next day when I arrived in Boston. On November 22, I received a final response stating that Copa Airlines is not responsible for the poor performance of ground services and will not issue a refund or compensation for my time, cost, and delays. Flight Details: - Booking Reference: BF5QHE Outbound flights: - Boston-Panama City, Wednesday 3:39 PM, October 25, 2023, Flight Number CM-705 arriving at 8:26 PM - Panama City-Sao Paulo, Wednesday 9:16 PM, October 25, 2023, Flight Number CM 759 arriving next day at 6:08 AM Returning flights: Original itinerary: - Sao Paulo-Panama City, Wednesday 1:43 AM, November 8, 2023, Flight Number CM758 arriving at 6:39 AM - Panama City-Boston, Wednesday 7:40 AM, November 8, 2023, Flight Number CM 704 arriving at 1:18 PM Actual itinerary: - Sao Paulo-Panama City, Thursday 1:32 AM, November 9, 2023, Flight Number CM0841 arriving at 6:28 AM - Panama City-Boston, Thursday 12:34 AM, November 9, 2023, Flight Number CM0366 arriving at 6:12 PM.
RouteBoston to Sao Paolo
Date FlownNovember 2023

"Service and courtesy dropped"

(Ecuador)

Not Verified | Was a frequent flyer with Copa for 11 years. Minimum of 6 flights yearly. Service and courtesy dropped horribly in the last 2-3 years. We bought a business class ticket return from Montreal, including the ability to change flights. They contacted us months later and told us they could not honor the return trip times as they had scheduling changes. We called as requested and they will not accept new dates unless we pay them another 1100 dollars, "new rules". We had a different incident last year where their Quito staff (including the manager) refused to all us access to our luggage on a scheduled stopover in Panama, though this is against their own rules. It is safer to pay more with another airline rather than accept risks of flying with Copa.
RouteMontreal to Quito via Panama
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"got my money back"

Not Verified | I bought a flight path from Rio de Janeiro to Bogota(BOG) to Panama City(PTY). At one point, the flight from BOG to PTY was canceled so I called to book a new one. I had to spend an extra $440 for the new flight on top of the original $600 that I already paid for the flight path. Later that night, I was switched back to the original "canceled" flight and not reimbursed for the newly charged $440. I spent hours (and at least 25 separate phone calls) trying to get my money back. They said they would refund me and later went back on that. They then said they would provide a travel voucher and went back on that too. When I continued to fight it, they threatened to completely cancel my flight if I continued to try to dispute the charge through my bank. When I got to Bogota for the layover, I did not even have a ticket on the plane to PTY. When I finally did get to Panama City (on a different airline) and they couldn't mess with my flight anymore, I disputed it one final time and got my money back through my bank since I did not, in fact, have a flight with Copa Airlines.
RouteBogota to Panama City
Date FlownAugust 2023

"I'm absolutely horrified"

Trip Verified | My business class seat on Copa was truly awful. The cabin literally smelt like urine. There is ample leg-room, but that's the only amenity on this plane (I got two itchy, unwrapped blankets that someone left on my seat). No screens, no wi-fi, no stowage room in front of me, and the stewards are inattentive at best. I can't believe I paid $1,500 for this filthy seat. The flight was delayed by several hours and then they reduced the amount of time for the delay so passengers who wandered off were left in the lurch. This is the last time I'll use Copa Airlines. I'm absolutely horrified!
RoutePanama City to Chicago
Date FlownMay 2024

"the service is horrible"

Trip Verified | If you are looking to cheaper ticket don't buy a ticket with a Copa Airlines because the service is horrible. My connecting flight to Orlando was delayed and I walk into the Copa Airlines Service to change my ticket because they had another flight to next hour. I asked the agent to do that and him said the next airplane was full, but on the website was possible see the seats available. After it him said you have to wait, we have a flight to next day, the service of Copa Airlines is closed and if the manager appears here, she can update your ticket to the next flight tomorrow. I have been waiting for like 2 hours to change my flight to next day but nobody else appears, after tired of waiting I decided to buy a new ticket with a different company because on next day was my father birthday. After arrived on home I called to Copa Airlines, and I spoke with the agent to check "What I can do with the old ticket". After explained the situation they offer me a new ticket but a supposed to pay around $600 - $1700 to reschedule the ticket. Thats is ridiculous. Don't chose Copa Airline to your trip.
RouteOrlando to Rio de Janeiro via Panama City
Date FlownDecember 2023

"could improve a lot more"

(Chile)

Not Verified | The seat was trash, the food and drinks was bad, IFE was horrible, worst map of any airline I’ve flown in. But the flight attendants were very friendly. There was no Wi-Fi. I’ve flown with Copa Airlines a very significant amount of times and they’re not that bad, but could improve a lot more.
RouteSantiago to Punta Cana via Panama City
Date FlownApril 2024

"service has been sub par"

Trip Verified | Please put this in as a formal complaint against your company. First for the flight being delayed which will make me loss my connecting flight. Upon calling the contact center the agent tells me they cannot do anything from their side and that I should go down past security again and talk to the airlines. Before I did this I waited 1 hour at the gate lounge for a Copa Airlines employee, none showed up. I then took the advice of the customer service attendant of Copa and went downstairs and tried to find someone from Copa in the checkin. Nobody there as well. I then go through security again, carrying heavy bags and go to the gate that it was originally in to find that it has now changed to the other side of the terminal with no prior announcement. I then get to B18 gate and am told that they can’t make any changes or reservations for my connecting flight there even though I got told they can through the customer service hotline and that I will need to wait until I get to Panama and see what they can throw us with no additional information they were willing to give us at all. I have no idea if I will be flying same day or have to get a different flight to another day, if I have to pay for my own accommodation etc. The service has been sub par and this has left a bad taste in my mouth that has made my mind up to never fly Copa again.
RoutePanama City to New York JFK
Date FlownApril 2024

"So unhelpful and so slow"

Trip Verified | This airline is an absolute joke. We lined up to drop our bags for at least 45 minutes and when we got to the top we were told that our flight from Costa Rica to Ireland that is booked for 2 weeks from now is not enough to prove we will leave Panama. Fair enough we thought, so we booked a bus from Panama to Costa Rica for the next leg of our journey and we spent $120 on those (we are backpackers btw, so it makes sense to get a bus more than an air travel for us). Back up to the counter and we waited another 20 minutes to be told that we cant use a bus ticket and it has to be by air. Which was not mentioned before!! I had to spend another $300 to book a flight from Panama to CR and I was told I had now 5 minutes to go until check-in closed. MWe got to security and clearance without help from staff who should have fast tracked us at this stage and ran to the gate to be treated by another grumpy employee. So unhelpful and so slow. Book with Latam.
RouteCartagena to Panama