Copa Airlines

"No amount of pleading with the staff would change anything"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | I paid extra for all my four flights on COPA to have the Exit row seat 17A for the extra legroom. At Panama airport, upon boarding March 1st to Toronto, the ticket agent ran after me and gave me a different boarding pass, putting me into an awkward, painful middle seat 7B (which is not in my listed preferences). No amount of pleading with the staff would change anything. I questioned the man sitting in my 17A seat and he said that he also paid for that seat online. So obviously I was unceremoniously bumped due to double booking by COPA. Such practices should be illegal. The problems they cause do not help the airline's reputation! Then, my backpack could not be stowed because all the overhead bins were full and it ended up being thrown in cargo and sent on the conveyors to Carousel 12 at YYZ, and it was damaged as well. I was absolutely livid at such cavalier abuse of an old man. I completed a post-flight survey with my complaint but have received no satisfactory response to date. I am a 220 lb 72 year-old great-grandfather who endured an awful, painful flight for 6 hours in a middle seat at the hands of COPA. I have since been in touch with COPA Customer Service (that's a joke) who refunded me $26.25 and offered a $50 travel voucher only good for one year. As if I would ever fly with them again if there were other alternatives.
RouteCali to Toronto via Panama City

"Impersonal service"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | On time performance. Seat / sleep comfort affected by the narrow feet rest area. Impersonal service with generic food. Poor amenity kit. Loud advertising running in a continuous loop until take off, not taking in account the late departure time in the night. Good IFE with terrible outdated film choices. Mediocre headphones.
RouteSan {Paulo to Quito via Panama City
Date FlownMay 2022

"worst airline I've ever witnessed"

Trip Verified | The airline decides to change our original departure/return times, and we call trying to adjust our flights accordingly a normal procedure for most flights. Copa Air is the biggest scam I've witnessed they basically switched one of our flights to profit off of us by giving us an undesirable flight at 2 am and when we called to correct it they tried to charge us an exorbitant fee of "$3000" to return our original departure time of 3pm. This has to be the worst airline I've ever witnessed. Instead I am forced to pay 300 and rebook with american airlines instead. Disgrace of an airline.
RouteNew York to Medellin via Panam
Date FlownMay 2022

"the most incompetent airline"

Trip Verified | Bag was submitted at checkin counter in São Paulo CM758 One bag never arrived. 2 bags did arrive ok. When I got to LAX I contact Copa Airline for my missing bag and they told me that would contact me back by email but it been almost 3 mouths and still no contact or help from Copa. I called every week and they put me on hold for one hour and never solve my problem. Missing bag is probably in São Paulo GRU, The ID was attached to the bag and the bag went on conveyor behind checkin desk but I’m not sure where is my bag, Copa airlines did not do anything to find my luggage it like they don’t care and all my clothing is gone. I don’t know what to do anymore to get my bag back or to get hold with Copa. I sent multiple email and no answer. Please don’t flight this Airline they are the worst and the most incompetent airline.
RouteSao Paul to Panama City
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"what a disappointment"

Not Verified | First time traveling in Copa and what a disappointment, first they changed the schedule in the departure times from New York to Quito with the difference of 4 hours, of course now two people in the group can’t make it and when I tried to change the dates for this people it took me two weeks to be able to change the flights for these passengers. Two weeks calling almost every day with different options for different dates to only find out that my requests were denied by Copa Airlines because it was their convenience not to accept my requests and make this process last as long it was possible, to finally said that now it is high season and charged me and extra $1315. What a shame, what a scam.
RouteNew York to Quito via Ansonia
Date FlownApril 2022

"never again use this company"

Not Verified | I purchased ten tickets total and needed one more. Instead of helping I was told every time too bad so sad. Horrible experience. 4/4/2022 called customer service There were supposed to be 9 tickets total in my group. There was only eight- when I checked the prices, I saw that they were double the price of what I originally paid for my tickets. I called and explained the situation, I was told that there was nothing they could do to help and that I would have to buy a new ticket at the new price 4/6/2022 spoke to customer service. Tried to explain situation, he stated he could not help and was unable to make any changes. Asked for a supervisor and was told the answer was not going to change and that the supervisor was unwilling to speak to me I placed a ticket on 24-hour hold. When I tried to pay for it later that night, the website would not allow me to make that payment. 4/7/2022 spoke to customer representative, tried calling to pay for ticket since the website was not working. I was told that the ticket was no longer valid. I asked if they could match the price which was $100 cheaper. They said no and that I would purchase the new ticket at the new price. Unable to help me and unwilling to transfer to a supervisor- when i asked why? he said because the answer was not going to change, and the supervisor was not willing to speak to me. Supervisor unwilling to help or make adjustment. My question is it worth to not help your customers over $100 dollars? My family and I make this trip constantly- i purchased ten tickets all together and the unwillingness to help is astonishing. I will never again use this company and make sure that my family members don't either.
RouteLos Angeles to Quito via Panama City
Date FlownApril 2022

"suggested I bring food from home to save"

Trip Verified | 2 days before my trip they canceled my connecting flight and "accommodated " me on another one 11 hours later. That turned my 10 hour flight into a 21 hour one. Then they proceeded to remind me, that if I "chose" to cancel, my $500 dollar ticket was nonrefundable. When I told the customer service rep that I would also have to make new transportation arrangements that would cost more money plus buy food for the day, she suggested I bring food from home to save.
RouteLas Vegas to Havana via Panama
Date FlownApril 2022

"do not use this airline"

(Trinidad & Tobago)

Trip Verified | Trinidad to Miami via Panama. My flight was scheduled to depart POS at 3:54 AM on 1/22/22, and it was not until I got to the airport at 1 AM that I found out COPA had cancelled the flight. I was approached by a rep who was not even an employee of the airline, who was good enough to get on to the local rep of the airline and have my ticket re-routed thru Guyana to Panama later that night. As Guyana needs a Covid test to enter (even just to transfer planes) which was not needed for Panama, I had to race around on Sunday to find a lab that could do this test in time for my departure. Anyway, I was successful and returned on time to be boarded on a 30 odd seat 2-propeller plane, and had to pay $30 for them to load my suitcase. You would think that Copa would pick up this tab and the lab tab as well, but no. It came out of my pocket! Guyana was an earthly version of hell, with the Copa staff offering no assistance to passengers transferring to their plane, even hiding their name badges when you asked for their names. I contracted Covid in Florida, and asked an attorney in Panama to rearrange the dates on my ticket; he had no better luck than I would have had, as I basically paid for a new ticket. No credit. Do not use this airline unless you love stress.
RouteTrinidad to Miami via Panama
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"They have been unresponsive to e-mails"

Trip Verified | Flying via United/Copa Airlines from RNO to SFO to PTY to GYE on 3/12/22-3/13/22. Copa Airlines lost one of my bags between SFO and GYE. While on vacation for over a week in Ecuador, I followed up daily with Copa but they were unable to locate my lost bag. I incurred over $1,000 in expenses to replace various items during my vacation. I returned to the US on 3/20/22 and did not receive my bag until Thursday 3/24/22. When I submitted a request for reimbursement of expenses to Copa Airlines, they offered just $150. They have been unresponsive to e-mails and their phone customer service is horrible.
RouteReno–Tahoe to Guayaquil via San Francisco, Panama
Date FlownMarch 2022

"go with a company with better reviews"

Not Verified | I tried for 24 hours to check in but their website would not recognize my booking code. I contacted my agency, they confirmed the code was correct and said I would have to check in at the airport. My flight was at 5:55 am leaving Mexico city which is a confusing airport to begin with and I was only able to arrive at the proper terminal just after 5 which is not Copa'a fault however the people at the desk would not let me check in saying the gate was closed an hr before the flight left however I cant help but think I could have still made it. I asked what I should then do and they gave me a number with the quietest assistant I've ever heard on the other end who was unable to offer anything close to help. I went back to the desk to find it empty. every other airline desk was staffed except for Copa for a full hour and a half while myself and other people waited for help. I eventually had to buy 2 new tickets as I was going to miss my connector as well, and after buying them, I attempted to check in for them right away. after waiting inline for another 45 min after the staff finally came back, I was turned away as they said they would not check in other flights until after they had finished booking the current on and to come back in an hr and a half. I did and they had issues printing my boarding pass, then a supervisor was required who was half an hour late. finally after another 20 min I had a boarding pass with no seat registered. I inquired and they said they had overbooked the flight and that there was no guarantee of a seat which would again mean I would miss my connector and have to buy a 5th ticket from them. eventually I did get a seat on that flight however I will go out of my way to not fly with Copa again. Their web site not recognizing a valid reservation code, the non existent phone help, the 1 1/2 hour pause with no staff at the desk, the complete lack of any attempt to make any of the situation easier, the complete lack of any sense of urgency, and the possibility of missing a connector because of their ineptitude was astonishing. If you're planning a relatively complicated trip, I would go with a company with better reviews.
RouteMexico City to Guayaquil via Panama City