Brussels Airlines

"an average experience"

Trip Verified | Brussels to London Heathrow. It was supposed to be a short, 50 minute flight, but it ended up taking over 2 hours. When the gate was announced in the airport, the moment we arrived we saw that the plane would depart at 9:55 and not the 9:40 scheduled time. The reason for this was apparently "changing a tire", although oddly the plane was right in front of us the whole time and no tire was changed. As 9:55 loomed, the time of departure was again changed to 10:10, again for the same reason. We finally boarded the plane at around 10 a.m, local time, and departed at about 10:30 a.m. A gentleman sitting behind me lost his connecting flight because of the delays that we experienced, and the flight attendant was rude with him when he asked for help. I was content with the flight comfort wise. The leg space was surprisingly good. I am 1.87 cm tall and i could stretch my legs. Same cannot be said with the service whilst on board. I tried to buy coffee and a sandwich, but they only accepted credit card and no debit card 'because of a fault in the system'. When i offered to pay cash in British Pounds, they refused. Not quite sure why, but it left me without breakfast. Also note that if you are a non-EU citizen landing in the UK, you will need to fill an immigration landing card, but bring a pen on board because to quote the flight attendant "we have pens but are not allowed to give them to passengers". All in all, it was an average experience. I fly this route almost twice a month, but it has always been with British Airways. My first experience with Brussels Airlines, and I think there are things they can work on and improve.
RouteBrussels to London
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"not provide the goods purchased"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Entebbe via Brussels. We purchased flights back in February 2018 for flights in December. Three of us selected seats and paid the same day. My companion bought at paid for an 'Extra leg room aisle seat'. This was verified by the airline on an itinerary mailed to us. Over the ensuing months a regular check showed all selected seats moving around the plane for no reason and several long distance calls to "Customer care" failed to resolve what was obviously a computer glitch. We received assurances that all was OK and the seats would be provided only to see that the problem persisted right up to the date we were due to fly. At one point we were accused of not having paid for these selections and it took more conversations and mails of the Credit card charge to convince them that the error was theirs and we had paid for all six selections. So it came as no surprise that on check in we received boarding cards for seats we did not reserve. Attempts at the airport to remedy this were just shrugged off as were further attempt by cabin staff. In short Brussels Airlines did not provide the goods purchased. If there was a negative score possible on this site I would use it. Never trust them to perform the simplest of tasks. Happily the flight crew and plane were OK but the rest sucks.
RouteManchester to Entebbe via Brussels
Date FlownDecember 2018

"did what it needed to do"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Toronto. I booked this ticket as an Amsterdam to Toronto trip. It turns out Brussels Airlines uses the AMS to BRU airport rail link in place of a flight, which is a great option if travelling light. I wasn't expecting much from this airline, especially after the rigmarole I had to deal while trying to check in. There were a number of airport-related issues, and despite having booked in September already, I was somehow placed on standby. I was given a seat at the gate with no issue, but it was a concerning start to my journey nonetheless. Thankfully, the chaos of the airport was just that. My onboard experience was quite pleasant. Clean newish cabin, comparatively comfortable seats with decent headrests and a good entertainment system. Cabin staff were professional and helpful. It was confusing to be spoken to in French, Flemish and English all on the same flight, but that's Belgium. The food was tasty and was warm when it arrived. However, the speed of the meal service was not great. Sitting towards the back of the plane didn't help this, but it was still over an hour and a half into the flight before I received my meal. An interesting note, I was assigned to seat 41D, which is the first '3' row towards the back. This meant I got 2 TV screens to use, and a choice of 3 tables (two tray tables and fold out). There was also a bit of extra leg room. Overall, Brussels Airlines did what it needed to do quite competently. I would recommend a trans-Atlantic journey with them over a raft of other Euro and North American based airlines.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBrussels to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2018

"never fly with this airline again"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | We took a round trip to Mumbai from Brussels. The flight to Mumbai on December 9 was okayish. The boarding process was rather chaotic with poor instructions on how sequential boarding is to be done. The in-flight entertainment system is poor (not much choice) and rarely updated. The food and beverages were just about average. On the return flight, however, SN602 on December 31, our experience was really bad. We had provided our food choices (vegetarian food and child meals), while booking the tickets. Thus, the airline had almost 9 months to prepare our meals. However, they ran out of vegetarian meals, which is simply because of bad planning and incompetence. What I was offered instead was non-vegetarian food; when I said 'no', I was offered just a plate with fruit salad and the dessert. I refused that saying that I had pre-booked meals for the family while booking the tickets. The flight crew was a mix of Belgians and an Indian. The two Belgian ladies serving the food just gave up and one of them was not even apologetic and just said - we cannot do anything about it. After a while, the Indian air-hostess came and offered me the child menu. Again ridiculous, but at least she was apologetic about the situation. The child menu contained soggy french fries - never seen worse french fries before. Secondly, the food service was started quite late during the flight. I have flown with various airlines for the last 14 years and from experience I know that on long-distance flights food service and trash collection is completed at least 20 minutes before the flight lands. In this case, there were people still in the toilet 7 minutes before the landing. I have flown with Brussels Airlines both to India and US. Although, the flights to US are not great compared to other airlines, I see a clear difference as to how the flights are handled and how the crew behaves depending on whether the flight is to/from India or US. The flights to US are a little better managed, serviced as compared to flights to India. This is not good! I am glad that Brussels Airlines is stopping their services along Brussels - Mumbai route. I would never fly with this airline again.
RouteMumbai to Brussels

"it was a great flight"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Kigali in Economy on A330-200. Boarding was confusing: gate agents were yelling out rows to board but not many people could understand them because they couldn't here them. Otherwise, the flight was a smooth, physically and mentally. Snack of pretzels and crackers was served about 30 minutes after takeoff. Was okay, a bit dry though. After that, a drink service came, with a large variety of juices. Lunch was served about an 1 hour and 45 minutes after takeoff. Choice was Fish or Chicken, I choose Chicken. The meat was very tender, and was served with green beans, carrots, and potato wedges. The meal was also served with couscous salad, Brie cheese, whole wheat bread roll, butter, with lemon tart for desert. Delicious and filling meal. After lunch I napped for an hour, Seats with very comfortable, with flaps on the headrest to support your head and neck. Seat pitch was 32 inches(81 centimeters)very spacious. Seat width was about 17 inches(44 centimeters), so still not bad. Also watched a few movies and tv shows, selection was good but could be better. The magazine had lots of interesting articles so read, but I mostly read my own book. Halfway though the flight, we were served cookies and a drink service. About an 1 hour from landing in Kigali, we were served with a mushroom calzone for dinner, and another drink service. It was better than it looked, with soft crust and flavorful mushroom, though it was a little heavy on the stomach, would've enjoyed something a little more lighter, but I'm not complaining. Soon after, flight attendants served coffee and tea. Landed it Kigali 5 minutes late, but really wasn't a problem. Undoubtedly, the pros were the comfortable seat, good service, good food, and good selections of entertainment. Cons were the confusing boarding process, the aging cabin, and the late departure. To be honest, it was a great flight, would fly with Brussels Airlines again.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBrussels to Kigali

"too terrible for words"

Not Verified | I have this evening flown from Manchester to Brussels to connect tomorrow morning with SN flight to Entebbe. Business Class. I fly a lot and have never felt so awfully treated. In Manchester, the boarding announcement called business passengers to board but a lot of people clustering around the gate were allowed to board and the 4 business passengers had to simply wait their turn. On arrival at Brussels, I first spent a time to find the lounge on pier B and when I arrived, it was just about closing. No other lounge available. I was directed to a quiet area with beds. When I arrived there, there were 2 beds, like beds in a refugee camp, and they were both occupied. As a passenger with no better choice of connection to Entebbe and paying 3 times the economy fare, I had to rest in the public area until 5 a.m., nothing to drink and eat all night. What a terrible treatment of premium passengers. I have never been to a capital international airport anywhere in the world where a business lounge closes with no respectable alternative for the price I paid. The airline agent suggested to go to the local Sheraton and I took this as an insult. Based on this experience, I shall never fly SN again or route through Brussels. Simply too terrible for words.
AircraftA320 / A330
RouteManchester to Brussels via Entebbe

"Excellent business-class"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Toronto to Brussels. Excellent business-class. I had a good sleep quality in the comfortable lay-flat seat. I skipped dinner/breakfast since I wanted to sleep. Coffee was served during approach. Service was friendly.
RouteToronto to Brussels
Date FlownDecember 2018

"staff was very unenthusiastic"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Madrid. Flight was delayed last minute, staff was very unenthusiastic, mid flight very severe turbulence occurred and flight attendant sounded scared when announcing to fasten our seatbelts. Once we landed there were technical issues with the gate causing us to have to sit on the plane for an extra 30 minutes. Might give this airline a second chance but did not impress me.
RouteBrussels to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2018

"friendly and attentive service"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Accra via Brussels. Highly recommend this airline for business class. I was lucky to get a 'throne' seat which offers more than enough space and very comfortable recline. Incredibly friendly and attentive service throughout and an overall very pleasant experience. Food was average to above average, but overall good. My only complaint is the very limited IFE selection that also seemed outdated. Other than that i would use Brussels Airlines again (and have so many times!).
RouteToronto to Accra via Brussels
Date FlownNovember 2018

"appalled by this airline"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Brussels. I am truly appalled by this airline. I will never choose to fly this airline again. They do not provide the minimal needs of the customers such as free water. After 3 hours of feeling very dehydrated and begging for water they provided a cup. I can't believe this is their policy on an international flight to have buy onboard in economy class. I am truly disgusted and disappointed.
RouteTel Aviv to Brussels