Brussels Airlines

"A complete disgrace for a service oriented company"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | We had the most unpleasant experience at Copenhagen Airport. First of all, we have spent more than 2h waiting for the check in. Once we were finally about to board the ground staff announced a strike of baggage handling personnel. At that stage they have advised that there is no confirmation of how long this might take. Few minutes after this they called all passengers to inform us that the departure will be at 12.55 which we also confirmed once again with the ground staff. We removed ourselves from the gate in the anticipation of the flight. At 12.10 we return to the gate, only to find out that the flight has departed! You can imagine our shock and disbelief. I was not the only passenger affected. Staff were absolutely not welcoming nor understanding, her explanation was resting her shoulders - and that she was not aware what the other person at the gate conveyed to us. At this stage we were re-directed to the customer services of Brussels Airlines for support. After 45 minutes on the phone, the customer service advised us to visit the Ticketing Office at the airport. The only problem is that such office at Copenhagen airport does not exist. The nice gentleman over the phone insisted that the re-booking can't be made over the phone and whilst he seemed understanding of the situation he was still directing us the non existing ground staff for rebooking and the conversation was not helpful at all. The only ticketing services available were from SAS, but they re-confirmed that only Brussels Airlines can do it or else Aviator. Then we went to Aviator again, which has sent us to Lufthansa check in. The problem with that is, that Lufthansa does not have a flight till tomorrow and there is not one single person at the check in counter. After 3 h on the airport, and having spoken to more than 10 people at 6 counters we had no option than to find a hotel for the night and to book the earliest flight to Brussels - all at our own expense. At this stage not a single communication from your end. A complete disgrace for a service oriented company. I would suggest all football fans and all other to avoid booking with you. Our one day flight to Denmark to see a match has turned out to be a nightmare because of your non existing customer support.
RouteCopenhagen to Brussels
Date FlownJune 2021

"The cabin crew were faultless"

Trip Verified | Any thoughts that I had that my previous experience with Brussels Airlines was a one-off were allayed by this flight. Entebbe Airport handled the necessary covid documentation efficiently and the lounge was relaxing. Boarding was efficient and passengers were greeted by a smiling and chatty cabin crew. This was a night flight and one of the essential requirements is that the meal is dealt with as quickly as possible so that passengers can sleep. The cabin crew were faultless and within a short time of taking off we were being offered a choice between marinated beef or Nile perch sausage as a starter and chicken breast, cold with salmon or basil pasta as the main course. I opted for the fish and a rather pleasant Château de la Grave Bordeaux, preceded by a glass of Duval-Leroy champagne glass of Croft port at the end. This ensured four hours of sleep on a comfortable flatbed seat. The objective of any flight is to get from A to B – the reason for going business is to enjoy some cost-effective luxury and Brussels Airlines excelled at both. Excellent seats, pleasant food and exceptional cabin crew – it was certainly my choice for flying to Entebbe in the future.
AircraftA330-300
RouteEntebbe to Brussels
Date FlownMay 2021

"This was one of the best flights"

Trip Verified | I have never been on a flight and thought that the airline had got it absolutely right but on this occasion it came very close. Business passengers were allowed on first and there was a separate line. Documentation (visa and covid) had been checked already. The aircraft had very new seats and having done my research knew which the best ones were – even numbers on the right-hand side – which were window seats with aisle access. There are a number of aspects to the seat design which stood out. Although they appeared slightly unusual at first the designers have got it right. The table slid out easily from the left-hand side; there are two very convenient storage areas to the left and in front; the seat has numerous options and was easy to control; and the 4K screen was beautiful and was positioned exactly right – not too close and not too far. The attitude of the cabin crew was brilliant. They were efficient, smart and attentive but not too overbearing. It would have been nice to have been given a drink before takeoff although the seats all had a water bottle. Meal service was done by giving a choice of two dishes as it was served and all the options looked good. I opted for the smoked duck breast, meatloaf tenderloin and cheese. The wine selection was slightly limited because of the pandemic (something common with most airlines but they served an excellent French red followed by port. Being Belgium’s national airline there was a nice selection of beers – I tried the Tripel Karmeliet which was excellent. Leaving the aircraft was done efficiently and one of the advantages of operating under covid rules is that leaving is done strictly by row and so there was no mad rush to get off or a race to reach immigration first. This was one of the best flights that I have ever had and I would have no hesitation in using the airline again.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBrussels to Entebbe
Date FlownMay 2021

"managed to lose all our check-in bags"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | They somehow managed to lose all our check-in bags (4 whole bags). They left them all in Paris. Their online system did not have accurate updates, so we had to rely on calling the hotline even a few hours to check on the status of our suitcases. Not as much as an email, even when they had finally located our luggage. Mind you, we were moving internationally and had all our belongings in those four suitcases. When they finally managed to find our suitcases, they said we would receive them the next day. The next day we called every few hours (since again they send no email notifications, and the website does not have up-to-date status ( it still said they were searching for our suitcases)). Suitcases finally arrive at Brussels Airport at 12:35 pm, and we were told they were to be dispatched (through the courier) at 5:30 pm, and we would receive them in the evening. After 5:30 pm, we called the courier to see when he would be arriving at our place so we can be sure we don't miss him. The courier informs us he was never given any bags for us. This airline company had 5 whole hours to hand them the bags and could not manage to get even that right. We called the hotline again and spoke to an agent who could not even explain why our bags were still in Brussels Airport, nor could anyone we spoke to tell us what exactly happened and why our bags were left in Paris in the first place. We suggested going to pick up the bags ourselves because at this point we had a meeting and there were important items in the bags we needed in order to prepare for the same. We asked the agent whether we could pick the bags up ourselves and be reimbursed for our Uber fare to and from the airport for the purpose of picking up our luggage. He said we would. I asked again, and he confirmed, stating we would only have to fill out a form, and we would then be reimbursed. So we did just that, filled out the form, and you guessed it! They have some cock and bull excuse as to why they will not be reimbursing us for our fair. They also refused to reimburse us for two of the luggage which they destroyed in the whole process. Luggags that had only been used twice prior to this trip. If incompetence was a company, this would be it.
RouteParis to Brussels
Date FlownApril 2021

"Brussels Airline does not seem to care about passenger safety"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | During this Brussels Airlines flight, several passengers were not wearing their face mask. I looked at how a stewardess talked to a passenger who was not wearing his mouth mask for about 30 minutes. Not once did she tell him to put his mask back on. It was surreal. At the end of their discussion, I asked the stewardess if she could ask the passengers to wear their face mask. I complained to Brussels Airlines by email, got an impersonal copy/paste answer after 9 days, explaining how their filtering systems work, how flying is pretty safe, and I was also reminded with hygiene measures. Even during a pandemic, Brussels Airline does not seem to care about passenger safety. I strongly advise not to fly with Brussels Airlines.
RouteTenerife South to Brussels
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"the staff impolite and the company a complete chaos"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I am not exaggerating if I say that is the worst user experience I have had in my entire life. They cancelled the flight due to corona, which is okay, but since then I am following up the refund of my ticket which still didn't happen. The service is awful, the staff impolite and the company a complete chaos which is obvious now under corona, the "corona" is a cheap excuse that airlines use to cover their disasters but now is the time when you see which are good airlines and which are horrible, in many ways.
RouteBrussels to Athens
Date FlownJune 2020

"I do not recommend Brussels Airlines"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I booked a ticket for my son. Flight was cancelled due to Covid. Fair enough, I can perfectly understand. I waited until bailout came and that this airline could start reimbursing ticket. I filled up a form in June, we are in October, I still did not receive anything. Customer service never replies to calls, never replies to mails. They simply do not care at all. Living in Antwerp, I will now take all my flights out of Schiphol which offer excellent service by the way. I do not recommend Brussels Airlines at all.
RouteBasel to Brussels
Date FlownMarch 2020

"after 7 months waiting for refund"

Trip Verified | Cancelled flight, ok fair enough, then refuse to answer emails, phone calls, or most social media chats. Then after 7 months waiting for refund, email to say it has been done, and will be with credit card company within a couple of days - still waiting. There is no intention of trying to rectify any problem.
RouteBristol to Kinshasa via Brussels
Date FlownMay 2020

"They did not even bother to reply"

Trip Verified | My round trip flights on Brussels Airlines from New York to Rome (depart on May 5, return on May 18, 2020) were cancelled by Brussels Airlines due to COVID-19. I filed on their website to request a full refund for this involuntary cancellation ticket on April 22, 2020. Up till now on September 8, 2020, I have still not received the refund yet. They did not even bother to reply my last inquiry e-mail on July 24, 2020. Please avoid this company.
RouteNew York to Rome via Brussels
Date FlownMay 2020

"Avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | This used to be a very pleasant airline to fly with, but now we have had such dreadful experiences with them recently. Here are 3: 1. We plan to travel as a family of 4 to the United States in October 2020, flying Geneva-Munich-New York, and returning New York-Brussels-Geneva. The flight New York-Brussels is a Brussels Airlines/UA flight on October 24. We purchased the ticket online via a German travel agent. Recently, we received an email from Brussels Airlines indicating that the New York-Brussels leg of the trip had been cancelled. Despite extensive and repeated efforts on our part -- and despite very clear European Union rules in this area --, Brussels Airlines refuses to rebook us on another flight. They consistently argue that the travel agent should rebook us. However, the travel agent will charge us a rebooking fee of 49 EUR per person, a total of 196 EUR for a 4-person family. The European Union rules are unequivocal that the airline is responsible for rebooking. Brussels Airlines avoids all responsibility. A second matter concerns 7 travel legs cancelled by Brussels Airlines during the period of confinement March-June 2020, for which I am seeking reimbursement. Brussels Airlines has sent me on a repeated loop, in which the website tells me I need to contact them via Facebook or Twitter, and then Facebook tells me I need to make this request "via the website". Again the EU rules are clear: Brussels Airlines is obliged to reimburse. To date it appears that they are exclusively focused on avoiding their legal obligations. In July 2019, we flew to the US on a direct flight Brussels-New York on a saturday. Brussels Airlines did not manage to put our luggage on the plane. As our girls were starting camp on Monday, we were forced to buy replacement items on the Sunday. Our luggage arrived Monday. Brussels Airlines refused absolutely to reimburse the cost of the replacement items. Avoid this airline if at all possible.
RouteBrussels to Geneva