Brussels Airlines

"Would never take again for a long flight"

Not Verified | Lisbon to Geneva via Brussels with Brussels Airlines. Flight attendants were strict and unhappy. No snacks or water served on 3 hour flight. Everything served was extremely expensive and unreasonable. Had to personally go to cabin to get cup of water. Would never take again for a long flight. Landing was very unsatisfactory, very bumpy and wing tipped.
RouteLisbon to Geneva via Brussels
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"no show for my first flight"

Trip Verified | I have never been so disgusted and disappointed with the customer service I received from Brussels Airlines. I took my flight from Edinburgh to Brussels with no issue, I checked in online and the representative scanned my boarding pass. The flight was fine, but what I experienced after was a complete disaster. My return flight (with brussels airline) was scheduled for 2 days later. 24 hours before my return flight I received an email saying that because I did not board my first flight, my return flight had been cancelled. I was super confused as I did take my first flight and was now in Belgium without a flight home. I called the customer service line and was connected to a call centre in India. I told the representative over the phone what had happened, thinking there was a mistake, they would apologize and reinstate my existing flight. I was told that I was marked as a "no show" for my first flight and, as per protocol my return flight had been cancelled. I told the representative that there must have been a mistake and that I was on the flight, offering proof, but they didn't believe me. They didn't know what to do. When I asked for my return flight to be reinstated i was told I would have t pay 40 Euros. I refused this option as none of this was my fault and the representative became rude and completely unprofessional telling me that I may have taken another flight. I asked to speak to a supervisor who also told me that they only way I could get my flight back was to pay 40 euros. I paid the 40 euros and went to the Brussels Airline counter at the airport the next day to complain. The representative was very apologetic and understanding of what happened, and gave me the information to file a complaint insisting that I would be compensated for the issue. I filed a complaint and waited for a reply. A few days later I received an email reply. The representative again told me that the reason I had to pay 40 euros to reinstate my return flight was because I was a no show on my departing flight. I replied and told him that I was on the departing flight. He was not apologetic, and seemed to blame me for the error someone made by marking me as a no show for my flight. He said I would be refunded the 40 euros. I insisted that I be refunded for my flights. He told me that I was not entitled to a refund because I was marked as a no show and did not listen to me in saying this was a mistake. AND THEN I was told that when I went to the airport, the representative told me that in fact I was on the flight and that the no show had now disappeared.
RouteEdinburgh to Brussels
Date FlownNovember 2019

"forced to put luggage in the hold"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Geneva. Despite a half-empty flight, we were forced to put our luggage in the hold while there was plenty of room in the cabin! The staff did not want to hear, so we lost 45 minutes on arrival to collect luggage that returned without any problems in the cabin. Malgré un vol à moitié vide, nous avons été forcés de mette nos bagages en soutes alors qu il y avait toute la place en cabine! Le personnel n a pas voulu entendre et nous avons donc perdu 45 minutes à l arrivé pour récupérer des bagages qui rentraient sans aucun soucis en cabine
RouteBrussels to Geneva

"Horrible experience"

(Venezuela)

Trip Verified | I had a flight from Madrid to Hamburg via Brussels with a stopover of 40min on the 12th December. I only took what was necessary for me in my carry on. The flight was delayed 30 min and I was stressed because there was no other chance for me to go to Hamburg on that day since I was taking the last flight. I needed to be there next day early in the morning. When we finally started boarding the ground staff told me that i needed to check in my carry on because there was no more space in the overhead lockers. I advised the ground staff that the connection in Brussels was too short for the bag to make it on time to Hamburg. He assured me and reassured me that my bag was going to make it. When the doors were closed for take off there was plenty of space in cabin for many other people to bring their carry on. When I landed in Brussels I had to run to make it myself to the flight which was ready to go. so obviously my bag wasn't going to make it. Once landed in Hamburg I went to the baggage belt to pick up my bag and of course it wasn't there. I had to go to the baggage counter and fill up a form and then go without any of my belongings. It was so frustrating the next day because the time I had to prepared myself for my meeting I had tom use to buy more clothes and toiletries. The bag only arrived at the door step next day 8:00 pm all my plans were ruined by this. Claiming the expenses to this airline is a nightmare. i am sure their system is set up so people get tired of filling up the same details over and over. I had to do and re-do the complaint probably more than 7 times because the when you are in the final step to send all documents the systems says: error. Horrible experience with Brussels Airlines. Here I am spending money on international calls because after submitting the claim they told me they would refund me with the money I had to spend. However they did not receive the second receipt. When I sent it via email, no more replies from them whatsoever.
RouteMadrid to Hamburg via Brussels
Date FlownDecember 2019

"really disappointed in Brussels Airlines"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | Brussels Airlines made us dispatch our hand luggage right before entering the plane. I was mad but it was their policy so I couldn’t to anything. I was going to Brazil and had a connection in Madrid so I asked them to send the bag to Madrid, told them my name showed my ticked and all. I told them to only send that bag. When we arrived in Madrid (I was going to Brazil with my mom and dad) we dispatched a total of 6 bags and only one of them should have arrived in Madrid the rest should have gone to Brazil but they send 4 out of the 6 to Madrid I still don’t know where the other 2 are. I am really disappointed in Brussels Airlines not only did they mess up such a simple thing they are also very picky about which bags can go on the plane
RouteBrussels to Madrid

"extremely poor service"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Brussels. This is more of a goodbye review than a review of one specific flight. Having lived abroad different places over the last fifteen years I have always stayed loyal to the local airlines to benefit from their loyalty programs and hopefully also get something back from the airline - as a thank you for always choosing them. I do not have a specifically high income, but I do have to travel a decent amount of time. That means I always travel economy, except from when I upgrade with miles I have earned. I was a member of SAS for many years, followed by a four year spell in London where I only flew British Airways. During those years experiences nice surprises like a little upgrade every once in a while. I would say at least twice a year based on 30-40 flights! On Brussels airlines I have experienced 0 upgrades in five years. I have qualified as “frequent flyer” every year I have lived in Brussels, which means I’ve always had 30+ flights. I am grateful for the lounge access I have been given in Brussels. But apart from that, all the time I have been living in Brussels I have not felt like I have been given the personal experiences, or dealt as appreciated as I felt when being a member of SAS and BA. I Am still living in Brussels, but decided a while ago to change all my Coming flights back to SAS as I’ve had it with extremely poor service from Brussels Airlines on a general basis. Rude staff, poor service, nothing back to loyal customers. I have it a patient try, but I’m looking forward to SAS which provides their plus program extremely cheap compared to Brussels business service, more miles, frequent free upgrades and better service in general. This last flight was the perfect reminder of the choice I have already done. Both legs to and from Copenhagen provided extremely poor service. No more food on flex and fast, and forced to check in my soft luggage with my laptop due to a full flight. The airlines can thank themselves for this policy..
Aircrafta320
RouteCopenhagen to Brussels

"A total rip-off"

Trip Verified | Brussels Airline is awful. I always try to book Premium Economy on international flights if I am travelling for 15-17 hours - it has always been well worth the extra money. Have done so on Air Canada, Lufthansa, KLM and had terrific experiences. Brussels Airlines was awful. A total rip-off. Barely any additional leg-room, no amenities (every other airline provides a small pack with a toothbrush, eye shades etc) no water despite having a water holder, no blanket, inedible meal, surly flight attendants, and they don’t even provide milk/cream for coffee!! Seriously. “Premium” and a cup of lukewarm coffee after a seven hour flight and you are handed a package of powdered chemicals. It was laughable. They treated us as though we had paid $59 and were making a short hop flight. In fact, I have taken $59 discount airlines in the US and had great experiences! I will never make the mistake of booking with Brussels Airlines again.
RouteBilbao to Toronto via Brussels
Date FlownNovember 2019

"service levels below low-cost"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Budapest to Brussels. This airline has traditional prices but service levels below those of low-cost ones: there are no extra benefits, just extra problems. I flew with them for 3 times so far in the past two months, between Brussels and Budapest. First time (28th Oct.) we were near the end of the boarding queue with my colleagues, so they took our carry-on baggage on the plane to be put in the cargo hold. After landing, they never turned up on the carousel at Zaventem, until the indication appeared that there is no more luggage coming. We went to their desk at the baggage area, and after making some calls, they said that our items will turn up eventually on another carousel. They did indeed, about half an hour later. The second time (1st Dec.) we departed from Budapest an hour late. There was no apparent reason, boarding was completed on time. What is more, we landed with even MORE delay, which is quite an achievement since arrival times are normally pessimistic. Last time (6th Dec.), when returning from Brussels, by the time of the gate announcement, it was already displayed that we would leave 50 minutes late because of previous delays. At least that remained constant, and we left at the indicated time. I realize that some of these events may not be the fault of the airline, but the overall image is not great. The staff apologized every time, but we didn't get any kind of compensation for all these delays, even though our company is a regular customer (that might change now that we realized that flying with WizzAir and taking a shuttle to/from Charleroi might still be faster, cheaper and more reliable).
RouteBudapest to Brussels
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Hugely regret our choice"

Not Verified | Brussels to Rhodes. Hugely regret our choice for Brussels Airlines. We were going to go to Rhodes with our kids and their grandparents. However, Brussels Airlines canceled our return flight 3 weeks in advance without any force majeure. Purely out of financial gain. Our outward flight (with another airline) therefore became worthless. And now they refuse to reimburse those costs. Never experienced this with other airlines. You really can't do this to your customers!
RouteBrussels to Rhodes
Date FlownOctober 2019

"a horrible experience"

Trip Verified | My first time with Brussels Airlines was a horrible experience. I was travelling from Bristol to Budapest via Brussels in the early morning today. Everything was fine until I landed in Brussels. I had good one hour to go through security and passport check, but it did not turn out to be enough to get there without having to rush with my huge backpack. Apparently, there was only one security lane open - only 20 people could go through the check within 30 minutes - some people were extremely stressed out as it was their final call and they were only about to move on to passport check, where there were only two gates open at the time. Getting through passport check required another 20 minutes. My luggage had to go through the scan 3 diffetent times during security check in Brussels. The otherwise very friendly gentleman in charge took the time to explain how the cheese and the cocoa powder in my backpack looked exactly like liquids on the screen. He also told me there is generally no way to distinguish liquids from powder and cheese in the system without physically unpacking the entire luggage. At this point, please let me fundamentally question the technical efficiency of the security scanning at Brussels Airport. I managed to get through the security and passport checks (all of them!), so then I had to rush through the entire airport to get to my connection where I could somehow manage to arrive 1 minute before the gate closed. I boarded to soon learn there were no more room left for my luggage in the luggage sacks - I even had to go and ask the utterly careless stewardess for assistance, who advised me to put all my belongings under the seat in front of me, including my luggage (of 55x40x23 cm size), my coat and small bag. Come on now, Brussels Airlines... Is there no place for everyone's hand luggage on a plane? Anyway, there will be no next time for me, because I will avoid travelling with Brussels Airlines in the future. It has been a terrible, stressful and uncomfortable first experience. I usually pick economy class and know what to expect for that price, but never in my life have I experienced such discomfort during a flight. The assistance, the management and the technical background were all lousy, meaning the company has failed to provide all important aspects of customer service.
RouteBristol to Budapest via Brussels