Brussels Airlines

"require some improvements"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Berlin to Brussels. I bought 'Economy Check & Go' ticket for about 99 EUR (11/2019) and won't expect too much service for this fare. Efficiency during boarding was messy and not so efficient at all. This cause this flight with a EOBT delay of 20 min but arrived a little bit late in Berlin TXL. The staff friendliness was average. Food and beverage can only be bought during the flight (similar service as Ryanair), but there was a large variety of Belgian cold and hot dishes. My final verdict, this airline require some improvements especially during embarkment.
RouteBerlin to Brussels

"very rude ground staff"

Trip Verified | Milan to Birmingham via Brussels. After avoiding the airline for many years due to bad experience I had in the past, I decided to give it a try again for a flight from Milan to Birmingham (UK) through Brussels. Experience was horrible, in particular very rude ground staff - airline is back on my black list, and that for a good reason. Flight in Milan got delayed due to miscommunication between the airline and the tower in Malpensa, resulting in a late arrival in Brussels. Flight attendant from Milan to Brussels was really nice and professional, confirmed even at arrival in Brussels that this was an issue caused by the airline. Did a sprint from the arrival gate to the departure gate for the flight to BHX, which was still open when I got there, as they were waiting for a connecting passenger from Prague. But Brussels Airlines had pro-actively re-booked on a later flight in the meantime, so they denied boarding. The gate agent tried to put me back on the flight, but failed due to any unknown reason. Instead of putting her best foot forward to get me on the flight - the later flight was not an option, as arrival was past the scheduled business meeting - she told me rudely to go to a re-booking desk and try to get the ticket fixed there. I was not supposed to get over to the departure gate anyhow in such short time. Result: missed the flight, had to fly to LHR and rent a car to get the BHX in time. When I filed a refund claim (EU regulation) they denied due to reason beyond their control.
RouteMilan to Birmingham via Brussels
Date FlownOctober 2019

"absolutely not value for money"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Barcelona. The A319 was a former Air Berlin aircraft with an Air Berlin interior and a Eurowings exterior. I sat on the second row and seating was really cramped preventing me from hardly moving my legs. Where in the past SN still handed out a refreshing towel and a bottle of water at departure to business class passengers nothing was handed out anymore. The complimentary meal offered was a disappointing salad in a plastic container consisting mainly of salad with a few small chucks of chicken and dressing. Luckily champagne was still available on request; although not a premium brand the Duval Leroy champagne served is good (it’s the same Swiss serve on their business class). A small box of Belgian chocolates was handed out as well. The crew was nice and friendly but this has to be obvious when serving business class passengers. Overall the service of European business class just seems to go downhill with cramped seating an rather appalling food. For the price paid this is absolutely not value for money.
RouteBrussels to Barcelona
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Would never take again for a long flight"

Not Verified | Lisbon to Geneva via Brussels with Brussels Airlines. Flight attendants were strict and unhappy. No snacks or water served on 3 hour flight. Everything served was extremely expensive and unreasonable. Had to personally go to cabin to get cup of water. Would never take again for a long flight. Landing was very unsatisfactory, very bumpy and wing tipped.
RouteLisbon to Geneva via Brussels
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"no show for my first flight"

Trip Verified | I have never been so disgusted and disappointed with the customer service I received from Brussels Airlines. I took my flight from Edinburgh to Brussels with no issue, I checked in online and the representative scanned my boarding pass. The flight was fine, but what I experienced after was a complete disaster. My return flight (with brussels airline) was scheduled for 2 days later. 24 hours before my return flight I received an email saying that because I did not board my first flight, my return flight had been cancelled. I was super confused as I did take my first flight and was now in Belgium without a flight home. I called the customer service line and was connected to a call centre in India. I told the representative over the phone what had happened, thinking there was a mistake, they would apologize and reinstate my existing flight. I was told that I was marked as a "no show" for my first flight and, as per protocol my return flight had been cancelled. I told the representative that there must have been a mistake and that I was on the flight, offering proof, but they didn't believe me. They didn't know what to do. When I asked for my return flight to be reinstated i was told I would have t pay 40 Euros. I refused this option as none of this was my fault and the representative became rude and completely unprofessional telling me that I may have taken another flight. I asked to speak to a supervisor who also told me that they only way I could get my flight back was to pay 40 euros. I paid the 40 euros and went to the Brussels Airline counter at the airport the next day to complain. The representative was very apologetic and understanding of what happened, and gave me the information to file a complaint insisting that I would be compensated for the issue. I filed a complaint and waited for a reply. A few days later I received an email reply. The representative again told me that the reason I had to pay 40 euros to reinstate my return flight was because I was a no show on my departing flight. I replied and told him that I was on the departing flight. He was not apologetic, and seemed to blame me for the error someone made by marking me as a no show for my flight. He said I would be refunded the 40 euros. I insisted that I be refunded for my flights. He told me that I was not entitled to a refund because I was marked as a no show and did not listen to me in saying this was a mistake. AND THEN I was told that when I went to the airport, the representative told me that in fact I was on the flight and that the no show had now disappeared.
RouteEdinburgh to Brussels
Date FlownNovember 2019

"forced to put luggage in the hold"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Geneva. Despite a half-empty flight, we were forced to put our luggage in the hold while there was plenty of room in the cabin! The staff did not want to hear, so we lost 45 minutes on arrival to collect luggage that returned without any problems in the cabin. Malgré un vol à moitié vide, nous avons été forcés de mette nos bagages en soutes alors qu il y avait toute la place en cabine! Le personnel n a pas voulu entendre et nous avons donc perdu 45 minutes à l arrivé pour récupérer des bagages qui rentraient sans aucun soucis en cabine
RouteBrussels to Geneva

"Horrible experience"

(Venezuela)

Trip Verified | I had a flight from Madrid to Hamburg via Brussels with a stopover of 40min on the 12th December. I only took what was necessary for me in my carry on. The flight was delayed 30 min and I was stressed because there was no other chance for me to go to Hamburg on that day since I was taking the last flight. I needed to be there next day early in the morning. When we finally started boarding the ground staff told me that i needed to check in my carry on because there was no more space in the overhead lockers. I advised the ground staff that the connection in Brussels was too short for the bag to make it on time to Hamburg. He assured me and reassured me that my bag was going to make it. When the doors were closed for take off there was plenty of space in cabin for many other people to bring their carry on. When I landed in Brussels I had to run to make it myself to the flight which was ready to go. so obviously my bag wasn't going to make it. Once landed in Hamburg I went to the baggage belt to pick up my bag and of course it wasn't there. I had to go to the baggage counter and fill up a form and then go without any of my belongings. It was so frustrating the next day because the time I had to prepared myself for my meeting I had tom use to buy more clothes and toiletries. The bag only arrived at the door step next day 8:00 pm all my plans were ruined by this. Claiming the expenses to this airline is a nightmare. i am sure their system is set up so people get tired of filling up the same details over and over. I had to do and re-do the complaint probably more than 7 times because the when you are in the final step to send all documents the systems says: error. Horrible experience with Brussels Airlines. Here I am spending money on international calls because after submitting the claim they told me they would refund me with the money I had to spend. However they did not receive the second receipt. When I sent it via email, no more replies from them whatsoever.
RouteMadrid to Hamburg via Brussels
Date FlownDecember 2019

"really disappointed in Brussels Airlines"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | Brussels Airlines made us dispatch our hand luggage right before entering the plane. I was mad but it was their policy so I couldn’t to anything. I was going to Brazil and had a connection in Madrid so I asked them to send the bag to Madrid, told them my name showed my ticked and all. I told them to only send that bag. When we arrived in Madrid (I was going to Brazil with my mom and dad) we dispatched a total of 6 bags and only one of them should have arrived in Madrid the rest should have gone to Brazil but they send 4 out of the 6 to Madrid I still don’t know where the other 2 are. I am really disappointed in Brussels Airlines not only did they mess up such a simple thing they are also very picky about which bags can go on the plane
RouteBrussels to Madrid

"extremely poor service"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Brussels. This is more of a goodbye review than a review of one specific flight. Having lived abroad different places over the last fifteen years I have always stayed loyal to the local airlines to benefit from their loyalty programs and hopefully also get something back from the airline - as a thank you for always choosing them. I do not have a specifically high income, but I do have to travel a decent amount of time. That means I always travel economy, except from when I upgrade with miles I have earned. I was a member of SAS for many years, followed by a four year spell in London where I only flew British Airways. During those years experiences nice surprises like a little upgrade every once in a while. I would say at least twice a year based on 30-40 flights! On Brussels airlines I have experienced 0 upgrades in five years. I have qualified as “frequent flyer” every year I have lived in Brussels, which means I’ve always had 30+ flights. I am grateful for the lounge access I have been given in Brussels. But apart from that, all the time I have been living in Brussels I have not felt like I have been given the personal experiences, or dealt as appreciated as I felt when being a member of SAS and BA. I Am still living in Brussels, but decided a while ago to change all my Coming flights back to SAS as I’ve had it with extremely poor service from Brussels Airlines on a general basis. Rude staff, poor service, nothing back to loyal customers. I have it a patient try, but I’m looking forward to SAS which provides their plus program extremely cheap compared to Brussels business service, more miles, frequent free upgrades and better service in general. This last flight was the perfect reminder of the choice I have already done. Both legs to and from Copenhagen provided extremely poor service. No more food on flex and fast, and forced to check in my soft luggage with my laptop due to a full flight. The airlines can thank themselves for this policy..
Aircrafta320
RouteCopenhagen to Brussels

"A total rip-off"

Trip Verified | Brussels Airline is awful. I always try to book Premium Economy on international flights if I am travelling for 15-17 hours - it has always been well worth the extra money. Have done so on Air Canada, Lufthansa, KLM and had terrific experiences. Brussels Airlines was awful. A total rip-off. Barely any additional leg-room, no amenities (every other airline provides a small pack with a toothbrush, eye shades etc) no water despite having a water holder, no blanket, inedible meal, surly flight attendants, and they don’t even provide milk/cream for coffee!! Seriously. “Premium” and a cup of lukewarm coffee after a seven hour flight and you are handed a package of powdered chemicals. It was laughable. They treated us as though we had paid $59 and were making a short hop flight. In fact, I have taken $59 discount airlines in the US and had great experiences! I will never make the mistake of booking with Brussels Airlines again.
RouteBilbao to Toronto via Brussels