Avianca

"going from bad to worse"

Trip Verified | I do not recommend this airline that is going from bad to worse with the services that they offer to their clients and now with those changes that they made to size the tickets as if they were shirts that one is buying. In case the service was already lousy and now they take away the opportunity to buy tickets in business class they are going to treat you worse. No recomiendo esta aerolínea que va de mal en peor con los servicios que le ofrecen a sus clientes y ahora con esos cambios que hicieron de ponerles tallas a los tickets como si fueran camisas las que uno está comprando. De por si ya estaba pésimo el servicio y ahora quitan la oportunidad de comprar tickets en clase ejecutiva lo van a tratar peor a uno.
RouteSan Francisco to San Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Never flying with this airline again"

Trip Verified | Never flying with this airline again. I booked a ticket from Santa Marta to bogota, I received a booking confirmation email stating that my payment was approved, an Eticket receipt, and my itinerary on the Avianca app. However, when I arrived at the airport I was refused boarding since apparently my payment wasn’t received and my ticket was never reserved. I never received a cancellation email from Avianca and there was no way that I could have known that my ticket was not reserved. The airline crew members tried to help me book another ticket for later that evening, but the Avianca site was not working, I tried to use three different credit cards, all of which were rejected for no apparent reason (these credit cards are international and my bank confirmed that there was no problem with the credit cards). I ended up taking out money from the ATM and paying the airline crew members directly to board the last flight of the night. I cannot stress how important it was for me to arrive in Bogota at the scheduled time, and this delay made me miss my ride to Anapoima and required me to book a hostel in bogota for the night. I also can’t explain how stressful it is to be randomly refused boarding, even after showing them the different receipts I received that verified my purchase. Still have no idea what the problem was and why they couldn’t inform me that my ticket was canceled… I sent them a complaint asking them for compensation and received an automated bot response. (I would like to note that the airline crew at Avianca tried their best to help and I really appreciated their assistance, particularly Darcy Forero and Lorraine Sanches).
RouteSanta Marta to Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"really disappointed with this airline"

Trip Verified | Houston to El Salvador. Typically I don’t do reviews for anything! But I’m really disappointed with this airline. I think most people know about Avianca this is the WORST airline I ever flown with!! Please people don’t ever fly with them this is worst then Spirit at least Spirit specifies that they charge for everything you’re aware of! But this airline hide the charges! Worst ever!!
RouteHouston to El Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"they can not fulfil the tickets"

Trip Verified |Sao Paulo to Pereira via Bogota. It seems like a lot of people here went through the same situation. I should have read the reviews before booking with this company. Bought a ticket in their website in 12/21/2021 for $2692.64 to have my parents fly from Brazil to Colombia. They processed the payment but didn't issue the tickets, three days later they emailed me saying they can not fulfil the tickets from that origin city (even though their website booked it). They advised me to book it from a different city so I went back to the site and booked it and had paid for that flight. So as of today 09/22/2022 after long phone calls (at least 3 a month) and many forms later submitted, usually the same forms again and again because they never have it, I am still out of $2692.64.
RouteSao Paulo to Pereira via Bogota
Date FlownMarch 2022

"proof of an active yellow fever vaccine"

Trip Verified | This is the second and last time that I have flown Avianca. The first was in early 2020 and we were upsold at every opportunity, including being told my personal item (laptop bag) needed to be paid for. On this occasion, country hopping across South America, Avianca implement a requirement for proof of an active yellow fever vaccine to board flights from Brazil to Colombia. In the months leading up to the flight, I was bombarded with emails about upgrading my flight but not a single one mentioning that they would be demanding this at the airport. The check-in agents at the airport said they would try to help then slinked off without even indicating that they were not able to or advising on what to do. Eventually I was able to speak to an agent who was incredibly rude but eventually said to call the customer service helpline. I did this, attempting to re-route my flights to stop at another country and on 6 occasions the agent would ask me to hold the line while they looked into the options and then the line would get disconnected. My signal was great and it happened with multiple agents so I know it is a deflection tactic that they were employing. In the end I had to figure out a new plan that couldn't even rely on using any of the flight credits. Horrible airline, staff and aggressive approach to taking your money in any way possible. T
RouteSao Paulo to Medellin via Bogota

"Worse airline ever"

(Belize)

Trip Verified | Worse airline ever, They double charge and don't reimburse. No kind of assistance at the airport and placed me as no show even though i was there for about 2hours arguing because they wanted me to purchase a ticket for my 2months old baby and i agreed but then they wanted me to cancel my ticket and purchase another again and moreover there were no more flights for that time. They charged me 80USD for a carryon and 79 for extra baggage and still didn't put me on the flight. So all that money went down the drain.
RouteSan Jose to Guatemala
Date FlownJuly 2022

"worst ever customer service"

Trip Verified | My flight changed drastically I was entitled to a refund, I called and emailed Avianca combined no fewer than 75x to get my money back, but in order to have a refund, I need to fill several forms wait forever for a response and they keep saying I need additional information that I've provided ten times before. This company is awful - the worst ever customer service. I flew them one and I will say it was fine, but any issues/changes, beware.
RouteMedellin to New York via Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Forget about this airline please"

Not Verified | If you searching for cheap ticket and you see this airline coming up please don't do it, because it will cost you as much as business class! They charged me $230 just for a small carry on and the plane they haven't outlets for phone charges! Forget about this airline please.
RouteLima to Los Angeles

"Terrible customer service"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Orlando to Sao Paulo via Bogota. Avianca sells in a very easy lounge service for the clients who will have a long connection throughout Bogotá. My son paid for the service, and there is no information regarding lounge usage time. I arrived in Bogotá at 6:20pm (09/10) and Avianca prohibited me to use the lounge until 4:00am (09/11), because my flight is in the next day at 6:14am (09/11). Believe or not. I called Avianca to get my money back, but in order to have a refund, I need to fill several forms wait forever for a response. This company is not serious. For me this lounge service is almost like a scam. Terrible customer service.
RouteOrlando to Sao Paulo via Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"I would not trust this airline"

Trip Verified | I paid extra to get a refundable ticket - but when I tried to refund, Avianca took me down this long, complicated form which asked for all of my bank information and a form to verify my banking status. Now, I've never been asked these questions before, typically if a company charges you, they have your information on file for a refund. I tried calling customer service and got an endless busy signal. SO, I guess the machine ate my money. Moral of the story, I would not trust this airline, even with a refundable ticket.
RouteNew York to Managua via San Salvador