Avianca

"never fly Avianca again"

Trip Verified | First flew with Avianca to South America back in 09'. Great flight, staff, service, food and beverages. Fast forward 10 years later. I have flown with them many times to my wife's birthplace of Colombia and the drop all aspects in just a single decade is unfathomable. Food is bland and the staff are mostly indifferent. The kicker for me this time was after my flights. I was stuck for 24 hours due to civil unrest in Quito. I just wanted to get out. United, one of their partners, was not coming to get me and other ticketed passengers. I bit the bullet and bought a ticket that would get at least to Bogota Colombia so that I could then get back to the States and decided to fly to Miami since that was the cheapest flight at the last minute. I bought the ticket. Went to check in. The Avianca check in agent for the flight asked why I had two flights with them-turns out that while I was buying a ticket directly with them at the Quito airport at their counter, United had rebooked me with Avianca for later on that day since they were partners. The agent looked into it and stated I should keep this flight because they knew it was going out-the plane and staff were there whereas the later flight was still a risky one to depend on-it could get canceled. I took it to Bogota and once there United was able to get me back to Houston. Thus, there was absolutely no reason to fly to Miami so I just didn't take that flight. Shortly thereafter, I contacted Avianca about a refund for the flight I didn't take in this unusual situation. Surprisingly, within a week they got back with me and gave me about a $35 refund! The flight I didn't take was at least a $400-$500 flight. I called back. I was given the run around for months. At no point, could Avianca provide any sort of cost breakdown as to why I was getting at least less than 10% of the value of the flight back-AND I had been an Avianca miles member for a decade! I called in at least 6 times and no one could ever answer my question-I mean how did I even get that tiny refund? Frankly, they used their English language barrier to continue to give me the run around for months-until I finally gave up. Well, all that means is that I will never fly Avianca again. What a total fiasco.
RouteQuito to Bogota
Date FlownOctober 2019

"ignoring social distancing guidelines"

Not Verified | After 5 days of travel to even get to the airport - and max scrutiny for safety and social distancing compliance - shoes disinfected luggage sprayed - hours in line for the bus and the hotels all 6 feet apart-45 mins to board the plane standing in like 6 feet apart. Get on the plane every seat full, no social distancing measures except masks which for my daughter she’s been wearing for 5 days - how in the world is this safe or acceptable. Colombia has been on a full quarantine with people stuck in their homes with limited access to outdoors even and they have an airline completely ignoring social distancing guidelines.
RouteBogota to Toronto via Ottawa
Date FlownMay 2020

"Avianca is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | New York to Cali via Bogota. Avianca is the worst airline and has a terrible customer service! They let me wait for 2 hours 48 minutes on the phone today March 15, 2020. When, finally they answer I asked them to change my itinerary and they told me I have to pay $1,300 for the change when the airplane is basically empty. People is afraid to fly due the Coronavirus and Avianca is just expensive rip-off company. I will not recommend it to anyone. They had changed flights to us in the past with no reason and they never refund anything but when we need to change flights they just grossly overpriced. I hope they are not continue in business and people choose another airlines.
RouteNew York to Cali via Bogota
Date FlownMarch 2020

"no delays, friendly staff"

Trip Verified | Medellin to Cartagena. I have flown with Avianca a few times in Colombia. Everything is rather routine. No big check-in queues, no delays, friendly staff. They offer a drink during the flight but no stacks - which is okay considering that most flights are around 1 hour. Flights within Colombia do tend to get a bit bumpy though.
RouteMedellin to Cartagena
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"What a terrible airline"

Not Verified | Bogota to Armenia with Avianca. What a terrible airline. It’s the second time they’ve change my itinerary regardless of my other flights. They just do whatever they want and the customer service is worthless.
RouteBogota to Armenia
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Good value for money"

Not Verified | Munich to Bogota. Good value for money as typically direct routes from Europe to South America tend to be kind of expensive. The flight was on-time and the cabin crew was friendly and everything was uneventful. The seat and the entertainment system were not that great but still within acceptable limits. The food served was below what I would have expected but not bad for airline food.
RouteMunich to Bogota

"Poor customer Service"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Munich. Poor customer Service as there was no answer on following bad experience: headset has a low quality. It feels cheap and does not work perfectly. Onboard meals are very very low quality. The meat was dry and Ravioli did not taste well. Mushroom not cooked. Same dry meat also in the Omlette! No Menu card was provided. Flight attendent did not know what to choose from. Kitkat as part of dessert? There are not much films in German language. Seat was very dirty. Lounge in Bogotá is very low standard. Food is in low quality and not much to choose from. Space is very limited. No water in bottles.
AircraftBoing 787 Dreamliner
RouteBogota to Munich
Date FlownDecember 2019

"No access to TV monitor"

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Los Angeles. No access to TV monitor, reset it several times but no luck. There was no access to map. Seats control not working properly and fully extended, and the headsets were not cleaned and in a bag. Very old aircraft, I used to fly in the Boeing 787 from LAX to Bogota, but they downgrade the aircraft.
RouteBogotá to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2019

"bad customer service"

Trip Verified | San Salvador to Dallas Ft Worth. Really bad customer service, Will never fly with them. They charge you extra for everything, after paying $1000 for a ticket, just because is a busy time of year.
RouteSan Salvador to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"customer service is terrible"

Trip Verified | Bogota to New York. The worst, they changed my ticket for 7 hours later without asking, I’ll be super late in NY always making changes because they do not know how to sell tickets. They just said my ticket has been changed, I was supposed to arrive at 1:30 am and now I’ll arrive at 3:40 am according to the lady Who just notified me that it was changed, the customer service is terrible.
RouteBogota to New York