Avianca

"have the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | I will never fly Avianca again. They have the worst customer service. I flew out October 30 and returned November 6th. I checked a extra bag and was told it may not arrive till the day I leave. I was okay with that and paid an outrageous fee. The day I flew home I was told the bag was delayed and would be there later that day. I had my family go back to pick it up. I was advised it never made it there. I have been calling every day since with no update. I was told today that it will not be there until November 12th, over two weeks from my original trip. The customer service supervisor refused to let me speak to her manager and refused to give me a name. I would recommend to pay more and use a better airline. I will never fly again or recommend anyone I know to use this unprofessional company.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDallas, TX to San Salvedore, El Salvadire
Date FlownOctober 2018

"second time big delay"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Pereira to Bogota. Second flight in Colombia, second time big delay (8 hours first one, now 3 hours) without any sorry or customer service. Received two vouchers for burgers and they promised a 30 euros voucher for Star Alliance. Did not receive any email or notice! Take cheaper airlines and try to avoid if possible. Other airlines all were on time.
RoutePereira to Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Never again with Avianca"

Trip Verified | $117 usd to cross one border with a surfboard bag 16kg. Absolutely ridiculous. Booked my flights back home to Australia from Lima with Qantas but the first leg to Chile was with avianca. $117 for a 3 hr flight but with Qantas 14 hrs to Sydney than another hr to Brisbane and it’s free? Figure that out. You can buy a half decent surfboard for this. Never again with Avianca.
RouteLima to Santiago
Date FlownNovember 2018

"don't care about customers"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Cusco via Lima. Horrible baggage service and terrible follow-up customer service. We booked through United Airlines and flew on United from San Francisco to Los Angeles, then changed airlines to Avian to fly to Lima, then change planes again to fly to Cusco. Our luggage didn't arrive with our flight so we asked why. Avianca baggage service told us United didn't transfer the bags to them on time to make the flight. They told us they'd have the bags brought to our hotel in Cusco later that same day. I called United Airlines baggage service to see why they delayed our bags and they told me that they didn't delay them, they transferred the bags to Avianca within 10 minutes of our flight landing in L.A. and 90 minutes before our Avianca flight departed. Avianca didn't deliver our bags by early evening, so I called baggage service again, after a lengthy wait on hold I was told that our bags hadn't arrived from Los Angeles yet but they would have them delivered to us early the next morning. Next morning, still no luggage so I called again, another lengthy wait on hold, then told that our bags left Lima but they couldn't gat any confirmation that they had arrived in Cusco. Baggage service in Cusco had no idea. We got very stressed out because we were leaving the next day to hike the Inca Trail with no change of clothes or hiking gear, not knowing if our luggage would ever arrive or if we needed to go buy all new clothes and gear. Several phone calls later and more "we don't knows" from Avianca and our bags finally arrived late afternoon of the 2nd day. I had told baggage service I wanted to file a formal complaint. They told be their Customer Service would contact me by Oct. 1st. It's now Oct. 29th and still no one has contacted me. I've called them but they're either closed for the day or no one speaks English and someone will call me soon. Still waiting for that call. Obviously they don't care about their customers.
RouteLos Angeles to Cusco via Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"super rude with no real answers"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bogota. This is my first time flying with this airline. I have not boarded the plane yet. They have canceled the flight supposedly because lightning struck it. Now we have to wait till tomorrow morning. They do not have an answer as to where we’re supposed to sleep. They haven’t offered a hotel like airlines usually do in this situation. They’re going to speak to each individual passenger. When you ask for answers they are super rude with no real answers as to where we’re going to sleep.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogota
Date FlownOctober 2018

"not overwhelming experience"

Trip Verified | Lima to Sao Paulo. Friendly check in. Unfortunately there is no lounge (bear in mind Lima is a huge city, and there are some lounges but not for Avianca). They offer you a god and beverage coupon in a small fast food place, where food is really not good - disappointing. Boarding was not so pleasant, staff were rude (Peruvian people are normally so friendly I don't know what happened here). Old aircraft, my seat had old bottles from previous passenger. Toilet seat broken, you could not really use it. Food not good. Staff were friendly on board. Flight was on time. Seats are ok, not fully flat but ok for 5 hours flight. Overall not overwhelming experience but ok.
RouteLima to Sao Paulo

"changed without notification"

(Honduras)

Trip Verified | Tegucigalpa to San Jose via San Salvador. Original itinerary was changed without any notification. First departing flight out of TGU was delayed two hours. One bag did not arrive to original departure point (TGU). After calling the Tegucigalpa desk repeatedly I was informed the staff could not access the baggage system. I was never notified about my bag being found and returned to TGU, and upon presenting myself at the Tegucigalpa desk I was told they could not see me because it was 11:10 and they were going to leave for lunch. I was asked to come back at 3. At 3:10pm I returned and they still had no information about my luggage. Upon asking for a complaint form I was told by the Tegucigalpa desk they did not have any, and I was given a blank sheet of paper to issue a complaint in, and was told they would "enter it into the system". The online Avianca complaint system does not work, and neither does the online chat. It is a farce.
RouteTegucigalpa to San Jose via San Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"lost my connection flight"

(Panama)

Trip Verified | Panama to Boston via San Salvador. It was a terrible mistake use this airline. Flights are delayed and I lost my connection flight to Panama. They put me in another flight the next day (not even direct, with a layover in San José), and this flight was delayed too.
RoutePanama to Boston via San Salvador

"a disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | Cartagena to Medellin. This was a disappointing experience. Check in was fine and the their is a lounge for business class passengers in the Cartagena airport. However, my seat's electronic functions for changing positions did not work. None of them work so I was unable to adjust the seat. Also, the flight attendant did not ask me if I wanted any drinks or snack during the flight. He seemed to forgot where he stopped his service. I did not ask for anything but nothing was offered either.
RouteCartagena to Medellin
Date FlownAugust 2018

"the plane was changed"

Trip Verified | Cali to Madrid. We originally booked this flight because of the B787 plane. With my broken back and 6' stature of myself (and my husband) I needed the extra space. However, several months after booking, the plane was changed to some airline company we've never heard of, and our seats were separated (we were able to change the seats to be together). Although we weren't familiar with the plane, we presumed that the Avianca would give us a plane that was comparable to the Dreamliner, especially with the length of the flight. However, once onboard it quickly became apparent, that our 10 hour flight was not going to be what we booked or expected. Toilets didn't flush. My legs were actually up against the seat in front of me, and when the seat was reclined I was actually pinned in, couldn't move, and therefore the seat couldn't go all the way back. My husband ended up moving to the row across from me, just so that I could stretchout. They ran out of food - no egg meals, no milk for the cereal. No air vents for either fresh air. It was so warm and stagnant you could hardly breath, and they claimed they couldn't lower the temp. This plane had to be the worst and most uncomfortable experience of my flying career and when we paid for the Dreamliner, we are extremely disappointed. What was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime started out a complete nightmare. We have been attempting to file this complaint, however, first they could not find our locator number, so we had to find our tickets. So now we have our tickets and they can't take a complaint in English. We were finally able to file the complaint, we were granted a $200 voucher, but as of today, we've yet to see or hear anything more from Avianca. We have given them business in the past and a very large payment for these tickets but I'm afraid, if they don't care enough to follow thru with my disappointment we don't care to give them any more of our business.
RouteCali to Madrid