Avianca

"I will never fly with Avianca again"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Avianca changed my flight by 4 hours and the flight no longer worked for us. I tried contacting Avianca through their call center, email and Whatsapp and this was my experience: 1) The call center had me wait for more than an hour many times and I was never able to talk to a human being. 2) I wrote dozens of emails (copying all their available email addresses) and not one of them were answered. 3) I used their WhatsApp robot and each time they asked me to stay online while a representative contacted me. Their response would normally come 4-12 hours later (sometimes while I was asleep). They would write two quick messages: the first one stating that they wanted to help me and the second one (immediately after the first one) stating that since I was not online they were ending our conversation. When I finally was able to answer the message within 30 seconds, the representative told me that he couldn't help me and that I needed to contact the call center. My conclusion: I will never fly with Avianca again, if I can help it.
RouteMedellin to Cartagena
Date FlownNovember 2020

"pay $65.00 for the 22 pounds luggage"

Not Verified | My parents went back to El Salvador this morning. When the attendance was checking their luggage, she started saying that they have to pay $65.00 for the 22 pounds luggage, she stated that it was oversized. They didn’t have any problems when they came last week, but apparently the luggage growths in 10 days. After a long arguing, my parents decided to paid the amount. While boarding the airplane, they also realized that other passengers luggage couldn’t even fit in the bag storage because their luggage were larger than my parent’s. Is this fair? This is really unacceptable.
RouteWashington to El Salvador
Date FlownApril 2021

"waited for the refund for nearly a year"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | We have requested a refund for our flights from Panama City to Bogota in April 2020, which were cancelled due to Covid-19, and have so far not received our money even though our refund request was confirmed in December 2020 and payment was meant to be transferred within 30 days. I have tried to contact Avianca via phone, e-mail, Facebook, Instagram and have not received one single response from them. I don't understand how this airline can be part of Star Alliance, in my view it is a complete scam. I do understand times are difficult for airlines but I have waited for the refund for nearly a year and it is simply inacceptable that there is not customer service whatsoever. Next thing I will have to do is instruct a lawyer overseas to claim my money back, which is really annoying.
RoutePanama City to Santa Marta via Bogota
Date FlownApril 2020

"Worst airline website and customer service"

Not Verified | I can't book a flight on their website, round trip is cheaper than one way, why? I called their number to try to get the flight booked, no luck, no body answers, chatting is the same. Worst airline website and customer service, only using as it is the only airline going to my destination. The prices are too high.
RouteLos Angeles to Managua
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Avianca you are a shame"

Trip Verified | I had a ticket to fly to Cali back on July 2020 and because of the pandemic I was forced to change it and I decided as well change the destination country, so I picked Guatemala and I had to pay a difference in the cost, hence my trip was planned to happen March 5th to March 14th, 2021 and I paid in advance all the costs I will incur in Guatemala as it is normal in a situation of vacation out of the country. Yesterday February 19th, 2021 I got at least 14 emails from Avianca letting me know that my trip from March 5th were changed, and after I was aware of those emails, I called the airline and after 1 hour and 12 minutes of waiting in the Avianca customer service line, I was attended for a nicer Avianca's representative, but the options she gave me wasn't accepted for me, neither by my family. Avianca pretended that I arrived at San Salvador at 6:20 pm by March 5th and take our connexon to Guatemala next day at 8:15 AM and no paying us the night that we are forced to stay in San Salvador. I never been in San Salvador before, and I know nobody there, so the option of staying 14 hours in the airport was unacceptable. I requested to speak with a supervisor, and this guy took 20 minutes before passing to the phone, and instead of showing me compassion and kindness, the first word he spelled out from his mouth was telling me that customers think that asking for a supervisor will resolve all their problems. In fact, it is not a good beginning of a conversation with a customer that has been in the phone 1 hour and 32 minutes. Avianca needs to give training to their supervisors and make of those guys gentle and caring for its customers. In conclusion after my long call from yesterday late at night I resolved nothing and the solution from the supervisor was repeat what the representative have told me or request a refund from Avianca with not horizon when I will be getting back my money. Avianca you are a shame, indignity and a deceive company that doesn't respect the trust and confidence your customers has put in you. I just never will purchase another air-ticket with this airline and neither I will recommend this airline to someone.
RouteMiami to Guatemala via San Salvador
Date FlownMarch 2020

"if you can use another airline please do"

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible customer service, I was charged four times for the same flight, each time I submitted payment I was told that the payment didn’t go through until I eventually gave up and I was successful on my first attempt on another booking site. They really had the audacity to charge us for the same flight four times, if you can use another airline please do.
RouteEl Salvador to Dulles Washington
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"absolutely no customer service"

Not Verified | I was supposed to fly out of NY on 1/14/21. I was going to do my check in when it said I had one of my flights canceled. Avianca did not notify me of this nor did it tell me on the app which flight was canceled. I was not able to get ahold of Avianca at all on the phone. I was waiting to speak to someone for 2 hours 53 minutes. I never got anyone on the phone and hung up. I was not able to travel and had to buy a new ticket through a different airline. I will 100% not use Avianca again. It is a horrible airline, unreliable, disrespectful to the customers. There is absolutely no customer service not through email, chat nor phone. People do not trust Avianca.
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Requested a refund in June 20202

Trip Verified | Terrible service. Due to pandemic our flight was cancelled. Requested a refund in June 2020 and still waiting. Impossible to reach anyone to progress our refund.
RouteQuito to Bogotá
Date FlownAugust 2020

"trying to get my refund for over 3 month"

Trip Verified | I been trying to get my refund for over 3 months. My tickets are canceled and didn’t get to flight due to the pandemic. I understand that there’s problems due to the pandemic but every time I call I have to try multiple time to be able to talk to someone I wait over 3hrs to be able to talk to someone and every single time I do there representatives are extremely rude. I asked to get a supervisor and they always say that the supervisor will say the same thing there telling, I clearly asked to please get me supervisor always with respect because they’re only doing there job, but I been counting I need told they will get a supervisor 67 time and they always hang up on me and I never get to talk to them. We don’t deserve this service.
RouteSeattle to Honduras
Date FlownOctober 2020

"now it’s the worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Avianca used to be okay but now it’s the worst airline ever. They cancelled my trip for COVID related reason and I haven’t been able to receive any money and any voucher. Their customer service is awful, I have spoken only once to ha person nice out of the 10 calls and 10 WhatsApp messages. They are not willing to refund my ticket because they stated: “it’s not our fault. Due to COVID we needed to cancel the flight”. I will never pay and travel with them again.
RouteLondon to Cali via Bogota