Avianca

"service was great"

Not Verified | Orlando to Lima. The service from start to finish was great. The seats were large , the leg room great. A soft blanket and pillow were placed on every seat. The food was good and service was great. It exceeded my expectations and the flight was as good or better that many of the US planes I’ve flown
RouteOrlando to Lima
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Reliably terrible"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Cali to Bogota with Avianca. Reliably terrible. Not the first time I’ve written a scathing review. If there’s a way they can mess something up, they will. Long lines, non-functioning app, check-in machines don’t work, make errors in the names of the boarding passes and can’t resolve them. As I write this, we might miss our flight because of one of their all-too-predictable mess ups. Seriously, do everything in your power not to fly with this airline.
RouteCali to Bogota
Date FlownDecember 2018

"lacks customer service"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Bogotá. The on board service fast ok, just ok. But the ground staff lacks customer service. Every time one of the customers approached to ask a question to the counter prior boarding they were yelled by one of the ground stuff. You do not treat your customers like that. Also lacking organization and communication, there was a delay and every one of the staff were giving different information which made customers confused and anxious. Even if they had excellent products, which they don't, this kind of customer service damages the image of an entire company. Very disappointed.
RouteMadrid to Bogotá
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Horrible service"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. Worst airline! They cancelled our flight and let us know 1 hour after the programmed departure time, letting us no option to take another flight that day. They tried to convinced me to take a flight at 8:30 am the next day, even when I told showed them I have a flight to Mexico at 11 am. They said I had enough time which is ridiculous talking about an international flight. They paid a 3 stars hotel when I had a 5 stars hotel paid in Lima, a reservation that obviously I didn’t use. The staff was even sarcastic when saying that’s all they can do for me. The flight they gave me the next day (5:30 am) was 1 and a half hours delayed. Finally, we arrived in Lima and they let us know our luggage was in the next flight, so I have no time to take my international flight with my bags. Horrible service, organization and company.
RouteCusco to Lima

"flight was overbooked"

(El Salvador)

Not Verified | San Salvador to Los Angeles. A trip was booked with cash + miles, and Avianca provided a receipt/confirmation. At pre check-in, Avianca informed that the seat had been sold to someone else and the flight was overbooked. Even though seats were available on earlier and later flights, Avianca continued to question the validity of the receipt/confirmation it had issued and consulted and investigated internally, and did not even suggest an earlier or later flight as an option. After an hour on the phone and then another hour and half in Avianca offices, Avianca accepted the idea of booking on an earlier flight. BUT, it has not yet completed the change explaining that Avianca will complete the change in the next hour. Hours of frustration and concern over a flight that was confirmed more than six weeks ago, and still waiting to see if it has been resolved after several hours pleading with Avianca to honor its commitment.
RouteSan Salvador to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2018

"have the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | I will never fly Avianca again. They have the worst customer service. I flew out October 30 and returned November 6th. I checked a extra bag and was told it may not arrive till the day I leave. I was okay with that and paid an outrageous fee. The day I flew home I was told the bag was delayed and would be there later that day. I had my family go back to pick it up. I was advised it never made it there. I have been calling every day since with no update. I was told today that it will not be there until November 12th, over two weeks from my original trip. The customer service supervisor refused to let me speak to her manager and refused to give me a name. I would recommend to pay more and use a better airline. I will never fly again or recommend anyone I know to use this unprofessional company.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDallas, TX to San Salvedore, El Salvadire
Date FlownOctober 2018

"second time big delay"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Pereira to Bogota. Second flight in Colombia, second time big delay (8 hours first one, now 3 hours) without any sorry or customer service. Received two vouchers for burgers and they promised a 30 euros voucher for Star Alliance. Did not receive any email or notice! Take cheaper airlines and try to avoid if possible. Other airlines all were on time.
RoutePereira to Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Never again with Avianca"

Trip Verified | $117 usd to cross one border with a surfboard bag 16kg. Absolutely ridiculous. Booked my flights back home to Australia from Lima with Qantas but the first leg to Chile was with avianca. $117 for a 3 hr flight but with Qantas 14 hrs to Sydney than another hr to Brisbane and it’s free? Figure that out. You can buy a half decent surfboard for this. Never again with Avianca.
RouteLima to Santiago
Date FlownNovember 2018

"don't care about customers"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Cusco via Lima. Horrible baggage service and terrible follow-up customer service. We booked through United Airlines and flew on United from San Francisco to Los Angeles, then changed airlines to Avian to fly to Lima, then change planes again to fly to Cusco. Our luggage didn't arrive with our flight so we asked why. Avianca baggage service told us United didn't transfer the bags to them on time to make the flight. They told us they'd have the bags brought to our hotel in Cusco later that same day. I called United Airlines baggage service to see why they delayed our bags and they told me that they didn't delay them, they transferred the bags to Avianca within 10 minutes of our flight landing in L.A. and 90 minutes before our Avianca flight departed. Avianca didn't deliver our bags by early evening, so I called baggage service again, after a lengthy wait on hold I was told that our bags hadn't arrived from Los Angeles yet but they would have them delivered to us early the next morning. Next morning, still no luggage so I called again, another lengthy wait on hold, then told that our bags left Lima but they couldn't gat any confirmation that they had arrived in Cusco. Baggage service in Cusco had no idea. We got very stressed out because we were leaving the next day to hike the Inca Trail with no change of clothes or hiking gear, not knowing if our luggage would ever arrive or if we needed to go buy all new clothes and gear. Several phone calls later and more "we don't knows" from Avianca and our bags finally arrived late afternoon of the 2nd day. I had told baggage service I wanted to file a formal complaint. They told be their Customer Service would contact me by Oct. 1st. It's now Oct. 29th and still no one has contacted me. I've called them but they're either closed for the day or no one speaks English and someone will call me soon. Still waiting for that call. Obviously they don't care about their customers.
RouteLos Angeles to Cusco via Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"super rude with no real answers"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bogota. This is my first time flying with this airline. I have not boarded the plane yet. They have canceled the flight supposedly because lightning struck it. Now we have to wait till tomorrow morning. They do not have an answer as to where we’re supposed to sleep. They haven’t offered a hotel like airlines usually do in this situation. They’re going to speak to each individual passenger. When you ask for answers they are super rude with no real answers as to where we’re going to sleep.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogota