Avianca

"they never responded"

Trip Verified | On June 14 I flew from Sfo to Gua, I arrived at airport over 1hr 40 minutes before the flight time when I was in the line a lady (from Avianca) told me that the flight was closed and I needed to call a 1800 number to change my flight because it was my fault since they require to be at airport 3 hours before departure. I called that number waited over 30 minutes finally someone answer to tell me they need to transfer me to another department. I went back inside thank goodness there were electronic kiosk where I could get my ticket without any problem but I couldn’t register my bag so I flew without luggage thanks to this lady that closed the flight for 3 people including me just because there were 3 people family members of one guy of Avianca's crew, They still registered one lady that arrived 40 minutes later than me, and registered those 3 family members of that guy who where not paying a penny for their flight and didn’t care about us who were paying for our flight. I filled a claim and they never responded.
RouteSan Francisco to San Salvador
Date FlownJune 2021

"They make mistakes and don’t own up to them/fix anything"

Not Verified | My parents bought flights from DC with a layover in El Salvador with a final destination to Honduras. My sister unfortunately couldn’t join anymore like originally planned so we postponed her flight. Day of the flight, our flights are nowhere to be found because they cancelled everyone’s flight. They rebook us for the next day at 4am to make our layover flight so we could use the same COVID test. When we get there at 2am, one of our names isn’t on the ticket, the name of my sister who isn't flying is. However, the itinerary they sent via email has the correct names. They’re not able to make the change for whatever reason and we lose our flights again and we can’t travel any time later because our COVID exam isn’t valid anymore. They make mistakes and don’t own up to them/fix anything.
RouteWashington DC to Honduras
Date FlownJune 2021

"Complete lack of customer oriented service"

Not Verified | Complete lack of customer oriented service. The check-in personnel were of no help to many travelers (including myself) who were told at the last minute an additional form was necessary to travel. The form was not made available in hard-copy and we were simply told to go to the Avianca website to search for the needed form. We were also informed we would not be able to board without the form. Everyone of the check-in personnel were useless. My wife managed to convince the agent that checked us in to let us go to the gate without the form and, as we suspected, the gate agent said we could simply obtain the form once we arrived at our destination! This after spending one hour on our telephones trying to find the form so that we would be allowed by the check-in agent to proceed to the gate. I am appalled by the complete lack of customer service exhibited that day by Avianca. My experience was sufficient for me to decide to not fly with them again.
RouteGuatemala to Tegucigalpa
Date FlownJune 2021

"I still have had no response"

Trip Verified | Avianca is hands down the worst airline I've ever flown with. If you want to talk to them, well too bad, no one gets to talk to them. After being on hold for hours, I spoke to a customer service rep, who hung up on me after I asked for a voucher for my flight. Costa Rica got shut down because of COVID, and they wouldn't even consider just giving me a voucher or rescheduling my flight. I tried chatting with these guys, they had an 8-hour wait limit, I sent in a voucher form, to which they said they would respond in 20 days, I still have had no response.
RouteSalt Lake City to San Jose
Date FlownJune 2021

"Absolutely frustrating trying to communicate with this Airline"

Not Verified | Absolutely horrible customer service. Four days in a row trying to make a change to my ticket and the answer was always “the system is down”, waiting time on ‎WhatsApp for at least 8 hours and on the phone for 45 minutes, once I went to 80 minutes. All that they have to say is “it’s not our fault”, “call back after 5 hours”, “Sorry we cannot help this time”. Absolutely frustrating trying to communicate with this airline. If you can avoid it please do so. Otherwise get ready to get forgotten by them in case you have trouble with your tickets
RouteManagua to Colombia
Date FlownMay 2021

"I hope I never have to use Avianca again"

Trip Verified | I have never in my life wasted so much time with an Airline Customer Service. Our flight was cancelled due to the pandemic. In order to change or use the voucher I spent hours. Called but waiting time was 85 minutes. Via Whatsapp 8 hours response time. Then I spent about from 1.40 pm to 3.48 getting my voucher to be applied to a new airfare through an agent via whatsapp! That's just ridiculous. I hope I never have to use Avianca again.
RouteSan Salvador to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"miserable customer service"

Trip Verified | The crew on Avianca planes must think they are better than the customers they are supposed to serve, what an arrogant and lazy bunch. After taking off they came around handing out some water bottles and then never walked through the plane until before arriving, some 5 hours later. Not even if you pressed the call bottom. All sitting on their seats at the back or front of the plane. The Toilets on the Plane were just filthy, almost unusable! I told one of them about it but he never looked up at me but kept reading. I think I should have made a complaint to the Authorities about these unsanitary conditions especially now during the health crisis. But this starts already on the ground, there is no number you can call, the only one to call is in Bogota and you need to call them by WhatsApp. What a miserable customer service this airline has.
RouteSan Salvador to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Avianca absolutely has the worst customer service"

Not Verified | I will never complain about Spirit or Frontier Airlines customer service. They are a 6 star service on a 5 star scale compared to Avianca. Avianca absolutely has the worst customer service I have dealt with in an airline. This is coming from someone who's line of work requires them to travel often. My mother in law's flight was canceled in October due to COVID. No problem, I get it. However, after several months and at least 20 attempts and probably close to 100 hours (email, phone, WhatsApp) I get a voucher. I'm thinking it will be smooth sailing after this. Nope...Avianca process to redeem your voucher is designed to make you give up and lose your voucher since you have a year to use. Here I am 7 months after the original flight and I am unable to get a hold of someone. I do not fly Avianca. It's not the Avianca of the 80s or 90s. The gold standard is non-existence and I agree with a previous comment. Avianca should not be a part of the Star Alliance.
RoutePereira to Miami
Date FlownOctober 2020

"customer service is appalling"

Trip Verified | The absolute disregard for any kind of customer service is appalling. Their chat takes 2-6 hours to respond in whatsapp, almost as long on website chat, and I have never been able to get a human on the phone. I arrived at the airport early so I could checkin and grab a bite to eat without feeling rushed. That was an hour ago, they have a line of at least 50 people but none of their ticket counters are open. This will be the last time I fly with Avianca.
RouteMiami to Managua
Date FlownApril 2021

"I will never fly with Avianca again"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Avianca changed my flight by 4 hours and the flight no longer worked for us. I tried contacting Avianca through their call center, email and Whatsapp and this was my experience: 1) The call center had me wait for more than an hour many times and I was never able to talk to a human being. 2) I wrote dozens of emails (copying all their available email addresses) and not one of them were answered. 3) I used their WhatsApp robot and each time they asked me to stay online while a representative contacted me. Their response would normally come 4-12 hours later (sometimes while I was asleep). They would write two quick messages: the first one stating that they wanted to help me and the second one (immediately after the first one) stating that since I was not online they were ending our conversation. When I finally was able to answer the message within 30 seconds, the representative told me that he couldn't help me and that I needed to contact the call center. My conclusion: I will never fly with Avianca again, if I can help it.
RouteMedellin to Cartagena