Austrian Airlines

"should be categorized as a low budget airline"

(Armenia)

Not Verified | On the 26th February, I purchased a business class upgrade in Yerevan, Armenia for $543 from Frankfurt to Miami. The flight from Yerevan was delayed causing me to miss my connection from Vienna to Frankfurt. The service at the Austrian counter was a fiasco as you can see in the pictures. A lot of angry passengers and hardly any staff to assist them. I was rerouted from Vienna to New York and purchased a second business class upgrade for $584.03. The agent at the desk said she couldn’t credit my card, but gave me the contact information and reassured me that they would take care of it since it was a result of the airline’s delay from Yerevan to Vienna. I filed a claim online and received a response that upgrades are non-refundable and against their policy. In addition to being extremely poor customer service, this is a blatant horrible response since Austrian caused the problem and was more than willing to charge me for a second upgrade on the same trip. I paid $2555.47 for Economy Flex which was a complete waste of money. Seating was the same and I did not get a refund for the business class upgrade. This is a deceptive business practice. I purchased a 3rd business class upgrade on the 3rd March for $599 from Miami to Frankfurt, bring the total cost to $4081.49 for a round trip airfare. This is a ridiculous amount of money to pay a company that could care less about their passengers. They also managed to lose my suitcase and sent it back to Vienna for some reason. It was delivered to my hotel 5 days after my arrival. The inept handling of this issue came as no surprise. Since this was a short trip, I opted to use Austrian Airlines to cut travel times rather than using my usual carrier, Qatar Airways and routing through Doha to get to the U.S. By contrast, their service is consistently stellar. Austrian should be categorized as a low budget airline charging exorbitant prices for mediocre experiences at best.
RouteYerevan to Miami via Vienna / Frankfurt
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"My group was refused boarding"

Trip Verified | Avoid Austrian Airlines, they will cost you more than you think. My group was refused boarding on Austrian Airlines flights from Amsterdam to Sofia via Vienna in March 2022 as we had not had COVID PCR tests. We had checked all website information for the destination countries as well as Austrian Airlines own site. These tests were not required as we were all fully vaccinated with the required documentation. We showed the online information and our immunisation documentation to the check in staff – but they insisted we got the test. So we got the tests, missed the flight, and had to rebook. Costs were over 1700 euros (the urgent COVID tests are not cheap). Austrian Airlines have apologised, but claim they were following their procedures, and refuse to reimburse a cent.
RouteAmsterdam to Sofia via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I asked for their help, but they just didn't care!"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | I fly at least 6 times a year with different companies, and this company is the worst. I think the charter companies are much better. I fly with 2 small children. We especially bought seats for extra coast! The day before we could not make a check in, we called the company and were told by a representative that he cannot fix it in the computer but there will not be any problem because we bought seats. When we arrived to the airport we had to stand in line for an hour and a half with 2 small children (one is a baby) because we did not have a check in. Eventually the girl at the desk told us that they changed the plane and our seats are gone, and they have to separate us! A family with 2 small children after we bought seats! I asked for their help, but they just didn't care! When we arrived to the plane, surprise it was the same plane that we booked our seats to, nothing was really changed. The behavior of the crew on board, if you speak German your first class passenger if not, than they don't care! Stay away from these airlines.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteGeneva to Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2022

"tell me I called too late for the re-booking"

Trip Verified | I booked a ticket and had to to have a flight rescheduled. I had to call and write multiple (10+) times, in order to get it done, they were basically playing “hot potato” between “call us” and “email us”. The instructions were always different. Reschedule by this date X, oh no, sorry, can’t be done, call us by date Y (which was after date X). Then I call after date Y and they try gaslighting me and tell me I should have called by date X. Since I had emails from them, I called them out on it. After the 10+calls/emails back and forth they finally confirm me the rescheduling and told me that I will soon got my tickets. 3 weeks later I still haven’t gotten any new tickets. I call and they tell me “yes, it might take up to 1 month for us to do the re-booking, but everything is fine”. 1.5 months pass and still no tickets. I call back and again: they tell me I called too late for the re-booking and it was not possible anymore. I called them out on their BS (I had everything in writing) and I told them that they had already confirmed my reschedule and told me (twice) everything was fine. And then they told me “oh the other agent did a mistake, it’s not possible to do the re-booking” and basically told me to get lost, all the while (obviously) keeping my money for the tickets and not allowing me to re-schedule.
RouteZurich to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"their gate customer service is bad"

Trip Verified | Being my 3rd trip with Austrian, and having 2 flights in a row canceled by them, I thought they might redeem themselves - turns out I'm overly optimistic. Not only do they have a garage business class hard product their gate customer service is bad too. Save your money and fly easyjet. These guys don’t deserve to be a Star Alliance partner.
RouteFrankfurt to Podgorica via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2022

"their website and their help center is terrible"

(Spain)

Not Verified | My problem is with the airline customer service. I bought a ticket but I didn’t receive the e-ticket. The automated help chat is awful and there’s no toll free phone number for Spain. There’s a number starting with 08000 and I called them and I was told this number is for emergencies and they can’t help me in anyway. So now I bought tickets which I have no information on the baggage allowance, stop durations or the baggage handling for the connection flights. Basically their website and their help center is terrible.
RoutePalma de Mallorca to Tehran
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Never fly with Austrian Airlines"

(Greece)

Not Verified | We had a flight with Austrian Airline in December from Vienna to Athens, but due to the lockdown we never got to fly to Vienna in the first place. The airline with which we have the flight from Athens to Vienna fully refunded our tickets but in Austrian Airlines we paid almost 150€ and at first the told us we will be refunded a total of 78€ (and not a full refund as the other airline did), but they told us after all we will be refunded only 8€! This is a total unprofessionalism, I've been talking with them over 2 months with no positive feedback. We didn`t fly in the first place because the were official government restrictions in Austria! You are obliged to return the whole amount to us. Never fly with Austrian Airlines.
RouteVienna to Athens
Date FlownDecember 2021

"will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Austrian Airlines does not care about passengers and customers. I booked two tickets for my wife and I to attend a medical conference in Graz, Austria from Dec 1-3 2021. A few days before the conference, Austria entered a COVID-19 lockdown, the conference was cancelled, restaurants closed, etc. My workplace advised against going under these circumstances. Despite all these circumstances, Austrian airlines only offered to refund $60 per ticket and they kept the remaining $2000. They did not offer to apply the $2000 as credit to future flights. Terrible airline, will never fly with them again.
RouteNew York to Vienna

"unpleasant cabin crew"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | This was not good at all. Bad service, unpleasant cabin crew, awful food. I have flown with many airlines but this was one of the worst. I prefer Thai Airways or Thomas Cook Air.
RouteBangkok to Copenhagen via Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Shocking customer service"

Not Verified | Booked to travel to Vienna for a Christmas trip. The Austrian Government banned all people traveling to the country with a full national lockdown. My hotel automatically cancelled my stay following the rules, but Austrian Airlines refused to cancel any flights, thinking it was above the Government, defying the rules and decided to put its profits above the health of its customers and the nationals of Austria! They also refused to provide any refunds, no credit vouchers and only offered to move the flights for an extra £62 (on top of what was very expensive Christmas flights). However, the final shocker was that we had to book the rescheduled flights within 12 months of the purchase date (Nov 21), so our once in a lifetime Christmas trip could not be postponed until Dec 22! This business is without doubt the most corrupt, inflexible, customer hating and profit driven company I have ever come across. Shocking customer service as well that didn't care about any conversation that I wanted to have, took 2 hours to even get through to anyone. The guy I spoke to just sounded bored on the phone and couldn't wait to get off it.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Vienna