Austrian Airlines

"Plenty of leg room"

Trip Verified | 12 hour flights are going to be rough, that is a given. The airline industry even found ways to make long flights more uncomfortable as they have tried to respond effectively with Covid. Some background: I am 6’3” and a little claustrophobic. I look for every opportunity not to wear a mask. I don’t like it when the passenger in front of me puts their chair back as far as it will go into my face. But I know going in a 12 hour flight is not going to be a picnic. This flight was no picnic, but it was alright. Premium economy was an expensive choice, but it guaranteed more comfort. The seat in front of me was all the way back most the flight, but magical seat configuration made that less of an issue. Plenty of leg room. The food was good and they fed us at decent intervals. The flight attendants were nice. They provided noise canceling headphones, which was a nice touch, though I never used them because I could find nothing on their entertainment that I wanted to watch more than what I had on my iPad. The worst part of the trip was the Los Angeles traffic after we touched down.
RouteVienna to Los Angeles

"an excellent flight"

Trip Verified | OS858 from TLV to VIE. The flight had a delay of 70 minutes, but the crew informed transparently and provided additional information about connecting flights to passengers with tight connections. This information was also available for free during the flight using the Austrian onboard WiFi service. Boarding was smooth and fast and the crew were excellent. A warm early dinner was served. It consisted of a pasta dish, warm bread, and some cake for dessert. All of it was well prepared and tasty. All in all an excellent flight.
RouteTel Aviv-Yafo to Vienna
Date FlownMay 2022

"I will never go back with Austrian"

Not Verified | Bad service, uninterested crew. It was a flight from Amsterdam to Vienna to Sofia May 22nd 2022. The first flight was delayed with 1,5 hour. No information given. During the flight we heard that the connection to Sofia already left. In Vienna no help at all, they didn't care that you missed your flight. No one to help or to guide you. "go there, go there" that was it. At all the desks I was accused I was too late. Eventually they rebooked me on a flight from 04.00 PM. After boarding there were some computer problems. Waited for one hour - no information given - then they told us the flight is cancelled and we had to get off the plane again. And the crew had the nerve to tell us to have a nice day and see you back soon! Back at the airport uninterested staff told us that there were no flights anymore that night. They could give me a hotel and the next day with Lufthansa to Paris, and from Paris to Sofia. I checked the internet there were also direct flights to Sofia. In the end I could go with a flight from 09.00 PM that night because they put me on a waiting list, but only after I did not accept their offer for a hotel. I had a 16 hour journey instead of a 5 hour journey that day because of the incompetence of Austrian. And again the worst thing was their lack of interest; they gave me a feeling they didn't want me as a customer, they only want my money. No service or compassion at all. Needless to say I will never go back with Austrian.
RouteAmsterdam to Sofia via Vienna

"rude customer service"

(Bulgaria)

Trip Verified | Disgusting check in process at Chicago airport. Disrespectful and rude customer service by the agent. Same for her other two colleagues who were very slow and definitely experiencing difficulties while working with computers.
RouteChicago to Vienna
Date FlownMay 2022

"I was late for my flight"

Trip Verified | I had a terrible experience with Austrian airlines. I was flying from Florence to Yerevan. In Florence I arrived at the airport 2 hours in advance for the check-in and I was put on standby. I was denied a second boarding pass from Vienna to Yerevan and had to make last minute arrangements but was allowed for boarding in Florence during the last 5 minutes. The lady responsible for boarding gave a second boarding pass stressing that the boarding is at a certain hour. Our flight had a delay and we arrived in Vienna later than we were supposed to. The airport was empty, no information desks, the screens with gates were very rare. I was late for my flight for several minutes. No one has called my name or tried to reach me out. Eventually I was not allowed on board, my trip was rebooked for a more expansive price than if I purchased a new ticket online. The issue is not even the money but rather the attitude and rudeness performed. This was the worst experience of a flight I have ever experienced in my life.
RouteFlorence to Yerevan via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2022

"do your antibodies test and come back"

Trip Verified | My review is on the incompetence of the airport staff. I almost lost my flight connection, and got put thru an ordeal. I had all my vaccinations records, double vaccines and busters, plus I had COVID in January and recovered with pcr records to prove. They denied me boarding at the connection coming back to US. They told me go out they Terminal 1 across there is a health care facility and do your antibodies test and come back, otherwise we are Not boarding you. I had to do all that in 40 min (keep in mind the fact that I entered Austrian land and had to go thru customs again )! I was soaking in sweat and hardly holding my breath! So unnecessary, especially since they emailed me the requirements and I was more then fine! There incompetence put me thru misery and they knew they screwed up! For what? To cash 35 euros for the test? I’ll think twice before using this airline!!
RouteBucharest to Newark via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2022

"Seats are tight like easyJet"

Trip Verified | Brands itself is premium but offers little worse exp than Norwegian. Seats are tight like easyJet (priced double naturally), boarding requires a specific mask which is naturally not provided by the airline, atmosphere is Army-Style in general. App is quite good, staff in planes friendly. Feels like it's a badly managed airline trying desperately to be premium without the management willingness to do that.
RouteLarnaca to Berlin via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2022

"this is terrible quality of service"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | There were no information after the the delayed flight was landed and transfer passengers to some destinations also were missing the flight. Neither signs or persons to inform the delayed passenger. And missing the flight with no proper assistance from the airline immediately. After found the airline service counter, the staffs are not responding in polite and responsible manner. I’m not a difficult flyer but this is terrible quality of service.
RouteBangkok to Zurich via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2022

"Never book a flight with Austrian"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | We will never ever book a flight through Austrian Airlines again. Today is April 5 and we are supposed to take off on April 7 but we are so nervous regarding this flight so we can´t even sleep in the nights. We are going from Palma de Mallorca to Phuket, Thailand via Munich and Bangkok. Our first long haul trip in 2 years because of the Covid situation in the world and we was so much looking forward to this but Austrian have destroyed our feelings... 4 times they have change our flights ending up with unreasonable waiting times at different airports. Today they change the flight again. They again confirmed Palma to Munich but have cancelled the flight between Munich and Bangkok and confirmed the flight between Bangkok and Phuket and hope this is okay for us. What do they expect us to do ? After hours in phone (we have to wait between 1-3 hours every time we want to contact them before anyone take the call and this by international calls, expensive) Each time we ask them to take our phone number because often the conversation is interrupted but they just say "we don´t call our costumers" and the conversations are often interrupted. Finally we got our flight between Munich and Bangkok back. We have booked business class all the way but they have changed Bangkok to Phuket to economy class. We said we want our business class back or refund the money for the price different but they say we have to contact their cooperation airline in Thailand, Thai smile for this despite we have booked the flight with Austrian. We called Thai smile (in Thailand, not cheap) and they say you have to contact Austrian airlines because you have booked your flights with them which seems reasonable so back to Austrian again. After several attempts we have to give up for today. Never book a flight with Austrian Airlines. This is horrible and we can´t understand that a company like this still exist !
RoutePalma to Bangkok via Munich

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | It is a very good company if you like to spend time in an airport: a simple 8 hours trip to Canada is magically transformed into a one day delay of the trip (because of the "covid" of course, but if you ask why the "covid" shifts the flight: no answer. A delay of 3 hours in the flight (obviously we warn once we are in the airport) A coffee was offered. You have to use FFP2 masks while the staff wears a surgical mask. Very bad experience.
RouteParis to Montreal via Vienna