Austrian Airlines

"Shocking customer service"

Not Verified | Booked to travel to Vienna for a Christmas trip. The Austrian Government banned all people traveling to the country with a full national lockdown. My hotel automatically cancelled my stay following the rules, but Austrian Airlines refused to cancel any flights, thinking it was above the Government, defying the rules and decided to put its profits above the health of its customers and the nationals of Austria! They also refused to provide any refunds, no credit vouchers and only offered to move the flights for an extra £62 (on top of what was very expensive Christmas flights). However, the final shocker was that we had to book the rescheduled flights within 12 months of the purchase date (Nov 21), so our once in a lifetime Christmas trip could not be postponed until Dec 22! This business is without doubt the most corrupt, inflexible, customer hating and profit driven company I have ever come across. Shocking customer service as well that didn't care about any conversation that I wanted to have, took 2 hours to even get through to anyone. The guy I spoke to just sounded bored on the phone and couldn't wait to get off it.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2021

"3 hours to pick up your luggage"

Trip Verified | When you have to wait 3 hours both ways to pick up your luggage, it doesn’t matter how comfortable the flight was. Absolutely unacceptable. No respect for passengers’ time.
RouteVienna to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Can only recommend Austrian"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Great flight experience with Austrian Airlines. Seat in Business Class is very comfortable and gives enough space. Crew was very friendly and often asked if I want more food or drinks. The food was exceptional. Austrian known for having one of the best quality in food service. Can only recommend Austrian and will fly them in the future!
RouteBangkok to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"didn’t let us use the business lounge"

Trip Verified | We chose Austrian airlines for our vacation trip and chose business class, because we had long layover and wanted to get some rest. At the Austrian airlines business lounge they asked for vaccination certificate, we have Johnson and Johnson which is one shot only, and they asked for second shot certificate. So they didn’t let us use the business lounge, and the receptionist was very rude. When I asked to talk to her supervisor it was 8 am local Vienna time, she said their supervisor is coming to work at 1:30 pm. Awful customer service, rude, and unprofessional.
RouteYerevan to Cancun via Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"need to weigh your carry on"

Trip Verified | I had the worst travel experience. It was my first time travelling with Austrian Airlines. It was a long trip from Amman to Toronto via Vienna and Frankfurt (2 strops). The first problem,.. before travelling I reserved the seats and already paid but unfortunately I didn't get the seats I booked and lost the fees. The second major problem was the negative attitude of the crew during the flight and check in. At Vienna, when the check-in lady dealt with me in a very rude manner and said I need to weigh your carry on. I said I came with it from Amman and they weighed it there.
RouteVienna to Frankfurt
Date FlownDecember 2021

"a very enjoyable flight"

Trip Verified | OS626 from Warsaw to Vienna. Upon boarding, all passengers were greeted with a disinfection towel. Due to current regulations, wearing an FFP2 mask is required on Austrian flights and at Vienna airport. Masks were distributed at the gate for passengers who did not bring their own. Boarding went very smoothly, even though the flight was close to full. After boarding was completed, we were informed that take off is delayed for 40 minutes due to congested air space over Vienna. The very friendly crew took the passengers' questions and concerns about connecting flights seriously and provided transparent information during the flight. In the end, all connecting flights could be guaranteed and once in Vienna, there was even a separate transfer to the gates for the passengers with the shortest connections. To bridge the wait on the ground, drinks were already served and once in the air, a small snack (an assortment of small sandwiches) was served. All in all, a very enjoyable flight with an excellent crew who did their best in a difficult situation.
AircraftE195
RouteWarsaw to Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2021

"charged me for one luggage $70"

(Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Trip Verified | I have traveled with Austrian many times before and never had such a bad experience, I called customer service to change my flight date and for five days I was not able to reach any of their representatives, I went to airport and they didn’t want to do anything about my request even it was one month in advance. After that I kept calling and after hours and hours being on hold I, finally got the chance to speak to one Austrian representative who told me that I can reschedule my flight, charge me $144 for switching from economy light to flexi, which I was able to see on app. Two weeks later they changed from flexi to economy light again and they charged me for one luggage $70 even on their app and site the price for one luggage is $60.
RouteChicago to Sarajevo via Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2021

"They did not allow to board me"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | This company is making up even stricter rules than official sanitary rules of the destination country. They did not allow to board me on the plane with the explication that only 3 times vaccinated, 2 times vaccinated with PCR or recovered are allowed to enter Austria but I was in transit, did not intend to stay in Austria. And for transit official Austrian regulations give exceptions from the above-mentioned rule. The Austrian rules allow transit by any means while Austrian Airlines claim that only further air transit is allowed to another country. Their staff t Brussels Airport were disrespectful when I wanted them to communicate with official authorities.
RouteBrussels to Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2021

"an attempt to get us to pay more"

Trip Verified | My girlfriend and I bought round-trip tickets for BRU-IAD in May 2021 hoping the ban on Europeans would be resolved by then. It wasn't, so we had to change the dates for July, again waiting for the ban to be lifted. Again, it wasn't lifted in time so we changed them once more to November 19th. Each time we rebooked our flights we spoke with someone at Austrian. When the ban was finally lifted in November we considered adding time at the end of the trip by rebooking the return flight. When we called this time to do so, the lady we talked to said that my girlfriend had no scheduled return. We had previously had to pay any difference in price to rebook our tickets, but come to find out they had somehow messed up the rebooking in July, not charged us, and so had not changed her flight to the new date. This meant that her original booking was supposed to be valid and she "missed" that flight. The lady we talked to seemed to recognize that this was unfair, as they must have indicated our desire to change flights in whatever file they keep. She offered a voucher for the price we had paid for the prior ticket, but by this time it was already November and so any new ticket we would have tried to get would be immensely more expensive. The lady quoted us a few that were 3-4 times the original price, even just to return the same day we had thought we had planned, which completely unacceptable when the mistake had been theirs for not charging us. It wasn't even a lot that they were supposed to charge us for the rebooking, something like $20, so of course I didn't just happen to notice on my own. She did say that the voucher would be applicable for any flight until the end of 2022 but we would have to use it before mid-January. It was just a ludicrous situation. When asked to speak to someone higher up, this employee said that no one else could do anything, that she was sorry, and that that was it. We called later and talked to someone who was much more helpful in searching for a better price for the return trip under these circumstances, but my girlfriend still ended up paying over $200 more for this. I really cannot imagine how this could have been anything other than an attempt to get us to pay more; the fault was not with us regarding the payment and booking and the company was completely inflexible regarding rising prices. It should not be the consumer who pays the price of the company's mistakes but the company which should have compensated the new ticket fully rather than put us in such a dramatic position. After sorting this out we flew with Austrian's partners, United, and had a great flight, so I can't speak to the former in the sky but I won't be purchasing from them again.
RouteBrussels to Washington
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Unhelpful, unfriendly and unacceptable"

(Austria)

Not Verified | Unhelpful, unfriendly and unacceptable. Choosing a seat will set you back about 15 Euros per passenger/per flight. Annoying but fair enough if they at least would guarantee me sitting next to the person I booked the flight with. They don't. As a result you can add 60 Euros to any roundtrip flight as a couple if you want the luxury of sitting together. They ask you to upload documents (vaccination proof) online before the flight. Happy to do so. Except that it doesn't work and you just receive an error message that they can't find a ticket. Therefore you call customer support where you will be in the queue for 1h just for being told "that it sometimes just doesn't work" and to better be there early and go through the check in procedure despite having already checked in online. Also the flight times have been changed by about 3h, but don't expect an email informing you about this. If you have any kind of schedule - bad luck.
RouteVienna to Larnaca