Austrian Airlines

"initial flight was delayed"

Trip Verified | Absolutely the worst experience and customer service. Missed our connecting flight because initial flight was delayed which caused me to miss an event and spend an extra 10 hours and an extra flight before arriving to my destination. After speaking to the customer service desk, they offered 4 Euros for my inconvenience which couldn’t even buy a coffee at the airport. I have sent 3 emails with no response, spoke to one customer service agent who hung up after I told him my dilemma and being on hold for 20 minutes. I have now tried calling again multiple times with no answer.
RouteNew York JFK to Vienna
Date FlownJune 2022

"no one received their bags"

Trip Verified | Do not fly this airline! Your baggage will be lost. I’m at a winery in Tuscany and every person in four groups with about twelve people flew Austrian Airlines into Florence and no one received their bags. They have horrible customer service and every contact you get will send you to another contact to call. No one claims they can do anything about it. You can call. You can email. You can use their chat feature. No one will be able to assist. They should not be allowed to offer a service to check bags if they can not keep up with them.
RouteAmsterdam to Florence via Vienna
Date FlownJune 2022

"Cost cutting to the max"

Trip Verified | Cost cutting to the max. The inflight service has now reached the bottom. No more choice of meals, just a mini portion of salad, cheese pasta without salt or pepper. A mini sandwich as a second meal during a 9h flight.
RouteVienna to Montreal
Date FlownJune 2022

"They fell to the lowest level possible"

(Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Trip Verified | They fell to the lowest level possible. Dirty seats, greasy windows and walls, ultra budget service for not so cheap tickets, very nonchalant approach to covid safety measures, masks not obligatory, they don't give away masks to passengers who don't have one. This was my last time flying with this airline.
RouteSarajevo to Berlin via Vienna
Date FlownJune 2022

"I have learned my suitcases were untraceable"

Not Verified | Having purchased a business ticket at a rather hefty price I was surprised to learn the aircraft did not have any proper business seating neither when I asked they had a simple blanket nor a pillow. Having arrived after a few unpleasant hours to Geneva I have learned my suitcases were untraceable, long story short after almost 3 days I still did not receive my suitcases and no one reached out to inform me about their status. Having perishable goods in former luggage and having to travel inside EU, it was certainly one of the worst experiences I had for travelling such a short distance. Worst part was neglecting of both airlines and Swisspost bag handling team, very unprofessional and unamicable.
RouteTehran to Geneva via Vienna

"Excellent service"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I would recommend Austrian. Excellent service, on time, Vienna airport is excellent without delays. I traveled business. Easy online checkin
RouteBangkok to Bruxelles via Vienna

"our bags never arrived"

Not Verified | The flight from Chicago to Vienna was great. The flight attendants were wonderful. The trouble started in Vienna. The security staff are the prime example of what happened when you give a small amount of authority to stupid people. They were awful. Barking orders and to be honest trying to delay us out of just sheer pettiness. Terrible experience. Flight was good again but our bags never arrived. Found out later that no one’s luggage arrived. 3 days on my 10 day vacation and still wearing the same clothes. Luggage still hasn’t arrived.
RouteChicago to Florence via Vienna
Date FlownJune 2022

"AUA management is behaving like a cheap airline"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | I've been flying AUA for years now, since they have been accommodating and reliable for most of the time. So I did again, for our flight back from Thessaloniki to Vienna. I purposely don't book cheaper airlines to avoid cancellations. This time it was different, on the evening before our flight, they got cancelled, we instead got a flight from Thessaloniki to Athens, from Athens to Zürich with 6+ hours layover and then Zürich - Vienna. This flight was impossible for us to reach since the earliest bus from the northern province city would not reach that connection in time. So on top of paying the bus in vain, we got to spend 1 hour in the Austrian hotline plus another half an hour on the phone corresponding with the (kind) lady there. After a tedious search for an alternative, we managed to get a flight from the local airport in Kavala with a 9 hour layover in Stuttgart, to finally arrive in Vienna over 12 hours later. I paid 200+ euros for flights that I could have had for 50€ or less with the cheaper competitors to not have stuff like this happen. AUA management is behaving like a cheap airline and I cannot recommend them anymore due to these practises. One thing I have to say, to make a fun point after this extremely unenjoyable experience: At least they are behaving like true Austrian leadership. Kudos to that. Refund my bus tickets at least. For a state funded airline, this is unacceptable.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteThessaloniki to Vienna
Date FlownJune 2022

"Truly zero star experience"

Trip Verified | Truly zero star experience on Lufthansa booked through Austrian Airlines. When I checked in online, I received a boarding card for a different flight. The evening before departure the flight was suddenly canceled, no reason given and no alternative flight. When I called (30 minutes waiting) in Vienna they rebooked me on another flight. I tried to do another online checkin, but got only errors on the site. I tried to call again but nobody was available. So I had no boarding card yet when I went to Schiphol the next morning. In the night I got a reminder that the flight was almost fully booked and they urged me to check in. But I could not as there was an error on the website when doing so. The next morning I was at the checkin and they said the flight was full as I did not check in on time (I was there 2 hours before departure). So I had to cancel my trip as there was no other flight available the same day.
RouteAmsterdam to Thessaloniki via Frankfurt

"Would not recommend"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Non-existing customer service. Stroller was delivered damaged and one suitcase is still missing. Been trying to get a hold of the airline for two weeks through numerous phone calls, submitting inquiries on website, two different email addresses and still haven’t been able to reach anyone. + 1 hour each time in phone que that ended up in Austin’s red message that “they can not take my call right now and to try to call back later”. Would not recommend.
RouteVienna to Barcelona