Air New Zealand

"will not fly with them again"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Singapore 30th June, Returning 12th August. The midnight flight to Singapore had no issues. But very disappointing when Air New Zealand decides to blackout the windows after an 8.40 morning departure back to NZ Passengers have only just got up to catch the plane and might have wanted to see some beautiful views on a sunny, clear flight of 8 hours plus. You might have had kids or be a photographer or just an avid flyer who wanted to see the world from your windows....But No. Not on Air New Zealand. They just expect you too sleep after you just woke up. Sad, and will not fly with them again, nor would I recommend a day flight with them. Plenty of airlines with A350s, A380s or 777's.
RouteAuckland to Singapore
Date FlownAugust 2022

"the legroom was terrible"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The expected hectic experience of flying international post covid for the first time was just fine. Air New Zealand ground staff were excellent and organised and the plane was on schedule. In fact they started boarding 45 minutes before takeoff and we left 15 minutes early, arriving 25 minutes early. It was my first experience on the 787 and apart from the 3x3x3 seating it didn't feel like a wide-body. It was cramped and even with my 180cm frame and a 3 hour flight, the legroom was terrible in economy, a far cry from most 747 and A380 aircraft I've flown on. In flight entertainment choices were well suited to under 40s not older passengers. Good food and beverage choices for an economy cabin. Well done to Air NZ for getting it's act back together after a terrible time - maybe worth considering better aircraft than the 787 and slightly more generous legroom.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2022

"staff were attentive and helpful"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I had to make a quick trip to LAX and back recently, one way in Premium Economy and returning in Business Class. On the outward journey the Premium Economy cabin was full. The staff were amazing and were visible in the cabin through the night. I was impressed with the space in my bulkhead seat. The meals were of very good quality. The return journey started out with a bump at check in at LAX. A lot of people (including myself) did now know that a Travelers Declaration had to be filled out online before you could enter New Zealand. All credit to the manager working the Business Class Check in, she had the patience of a saint dealing with all these confused and mildly angry travelers who know nothing of the Travelers Declaration requirement. When I was in the Star Alliance Lounge later, the same manager from check in made sure I had got the Travelers Declaration sorted and wished me well for the rest of the journey, top marks for remembering me and checking that I was all sorted.. The rest of the journey home was seamless and just like the Air New Zealand of old, pre covid. The staff were attentive and helpful. Nothing was too much bother for the staff. If you wanted a second dessert, no problem, just ask and you will receive. I got up to go to the bathroom after dinner, came back and my bed had been nicely made. The meals were superb and a cut above the already very good meals on the Premium Economy flight over. My only criticism is that the seats definitely feel a lot tighter than the 777’s, especially for sleeping.. Some airlines may have a better hard product, but that Kiwi warmth and kindness just cant be surpassed.
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles

"Terrible customer service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | They canceled my flight after postponing it 4 times. I was reaccommodated on a flight that same afternoon with a stopover in Auckland. Flight that was also cancelled, having to spend one night at the place of origin and losing payment for my stay at destination. I was waiting 5 hours in the customer service line and they never answered me. The next day I was able to communicate with the intention of getting a flight and there were no flights available, I wanted to claim the full refund of my ticket and they did not want to refund the money, they did not take care of the stay at the place of origin or at the place of destiny. They said that the stay had to be approved in advance, how can I have the stay approved if they never answered the phone after 5 hours on hold? I wanted to change the date of the flight and they wanted to make me pay a fee, I asked them for alternative transportation options (buses, rent a car) to reach my destination and they did not accept it. Terrible customer service, terrible treatment.
RouteWellington to Tauranga
Date FlownJuly 2022

"not going to do international travel with them again"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | So we asked for an upgrade to business class from premium economy which we bought a year ago so they said they will try and after 6 days of nothing they change our flight tickets and downgrade us to economy even though we bought premium. I am very upset and disgraced, not going to do international travel with them again.
RouteAuckland to Hamburg via Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2022

"ANZ only continues to go downhill"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | ANZ only continues to go downhill. Food was less than average, crew barely polite, treated food like it was trash whilst serving. Leant over to window seat I was in the aisle seat with food on the tray. No "excuse me" or apology for being rude. The ambulation of some crew sadly would need PAX to save them in an emergency. Crew member rolled food trolley over my toes they were not extended out into the aisle. Air New Zealand just keeps getting worse. CEO makes endless excuses for 6 hours waiting for the call centre that just don't hold up.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownJune 2022

"Airline did not accept any responsibility"

Trip Verified | This is my first experience with Air New Zealand and the worst airline for customer service. My ticket was cancelled and rebooked on a non optimal flight without advising me. On day of departure I was refused check in even when I arrived 3 hours prior to departure, told to go away and book another flight on their customers service number. When I rang was on hold for 2 days getting redirected and hung up on with no resolution. Tried visiting Brisbane office but this has now closed. Airline did not accept any responsibility for their terrible customer service. As such I am out of thousands of dollars from missed connecting flights and accommodation. I will never trust or choose Air New Zealand for my flights.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland via Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2022

"did not offer any assistance"

Trip Verified | By far the worst experience I’ve ever had with an airline. They cancelled my flight and did not offer any assistance or other options. The changes cost me $800 of my own money changing hotels, other flights etc. There was no remorse and not even an apology. I spent 3 hours on hold with no answer on 2 occasions. I will never think to book an Air New Zealand flight again and will certainly not recommend this airline to my family, friends and colleagues. I have no words for how disappointing their ‘customer service’ is. I’m shocked that the airline hasn’t been forced to close their doors with this kind of treatment to a customer. I’ve never sent a negative review in my life but this needs to be shared.
RouteBrisbane to Christchurch via Sydney
Date FlownJune 2022

"Double standards. Terrible airline"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Terrible service. I paid for a seat which cost me $5 extra on top of my flight. I get on the plane only to find an old lady in my seat. I asked if she’d paid for that seat and she said no and she just sat there. So I decided that I would not pay for my seat allocation again and I would just sit there also. Jumped on my plane today and just sat in the seat that I like only to be told I must sit in my allocated seat. I don’t get it? Am I not given the same treatment as some lady? If somebody can take my seat without paying for it then so should I but nope. Double standards. Terrible airline.
RouteChristchurch to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2022

"Not impressed - particularly at the total dishonesty!"

Trip Verified | Don't trust them, we booked Brisbane - Auckland return in Premium economy and they downgraded us to economy with no offer of a refund. I then paid $380AUD to get one leg upgraded back to Premium economy. That's fraud. Waited on the phone for over two hours to be told by the bloke in the call center "tough - that's the way it is". Not impressed - particularly at the total dishonesty!
RouteBrisbane to Los Angeles via Auckland