Air New Zealand

"staff were attentive and helpful"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I had to make a quick trip to LAX and back recently, one way in Premium Economy and returning in Business Class. On the outward journey the Premium Economy cabin was full. The staff were amazing and were visible in the cabin through the night. I was impressed with the space in my bulkhead seat. The meals were of very good quality. The return journey started out with a bump at check in at LAX. A lot of people (including myself) did now know that a Travelers Declaration had to be filled out online before you could enter New Zealand. All credit to the manager working the Business Class Check in, she had the patience of a saint dealing with all these confused and mildly angry travelers who know nothing of the Travelers Declaration requirement. When I was in the Star Alliance Lounge later, the same manager from check in made sure I had got the Travelers Declaration sorted and wished me well for the rest of the journey, top marks for remembering me and checking that I was all sorted.. The rest of the journey home was seamless and just like the Air New Zealand of old, pre covid. The staff were attentive and helpful. Nothing was too much bother for the staff. If you wanted a second dessert, no problem, just ask and you will receive. I got up to go to the bathroom after dinner, came back and my bed had been nicely made. The meals were superb and a cut above the already very good meals on the Premium Economy flight over. My only criticism is that the seats definitely feel a lot tighter than the 777’s, especially for sleeping.. Some airlines may have a better hard product, but that Kiwi warmth and kindness just cant be surpassed.
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles

"Terrible customer service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | They canceled my flight after postponing it 4 times. I was reaccommodated on a flight that same afternoon with a stopover in Auckland. Flight that was also cancelled, having to spend one night at the place of origin and losing payment for my stay at destination. I was waiting 5 hours in the customer service line and they never answered me. The next day I was able to communicate with the intention of getting a flight and there were no flights available, I wanted to claim the full refund of my ticket and they did not want to refund the money, they did not take care of the stay at the place of origin or at the place of destiny. They said that the stay had to be approved in advance, how can I have the stay approved if they never answered the phone after 5 hours on hold? I wanted to change the date of the flight and they wanted to make me pay a fee, I asked them for alternative transportation options (buses, rent a car) to reach my destination and they did not accept it. Terrible customer service, terrible treatment.
RouteWellington to Tauranga
Date FlownJuly 2022

"not going to do international travel with them again"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | So we asked for an upgrade to business class from premium economy which we bought a year ago so they said they will try and after 6 days of nothing they change our flight tickets and downgrade us to economy even though we bought premium. I am very upset and disgraced, not going to do international travel with them again.
RouteAuckland to Hamburg via Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2022

"ANZ only continues to go downhill"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | ANZ only continues to go downhill. Food was less than average, crew barely polite, treated food like it was trash whilst serving. Leant over to window seat I was in the aisle seat with food on the tray. No "excuse me" or apology for being rude. The ambulation of some crew sadly would need PAX to save them in an emergency. Crew member rolled food trolley over my toes they were not extended out into the aisle. Air New Zealand just keeps getting worse. CEO makes endless excuses for 6 hours waiting for the call centre that just don't hold up.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownJune 2022

"Airline did not accept any responsibility"

Trip Verified | This is my first experience with Air New Zealand and the worst airline for customer service. My ticket was cancelled and rebooked on a non optimal flight without advising me. On day of departure I was refused check in even when I arrived 3 hours prior to departure, told to go away and book another flight on their customers service number. When I rang was on hold for 2 days getting redirected and hung up on with no resolution. Tried visiting Brisbane office but this has now closed. Airline did not accept any responsibility for their terrible customer service. As such I am out of thousands of dollars from missed connecting flights and accommodation. I will never trust or choose Air New Zealand for my flights.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland via Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2022

"did not offer any assistance"

Trip Verified | By far the worst experience I’ve ever had with an airline. They cancelled my flight and did not offer any assistance or other options. The changes cost me $800 of my own money changing hotels, other flights etc. There was no remorse and not even an apology. I spent 3 hours on hold with no answer on 2 occasions. I will never think to book an Air New Zealand flight again and will certainly not recommend this airline to my family, friends and colleagues. I have no words for how disappointing their ‘customer service’ is. I’m shocked that the airline hasn’t been forced to close their doors with this kind of treatment to a customer. I’ve never sent a negative review in my life but this needs to be shared.
RouteBrisbane to Christchurch via Sydney
Date FlownJune 2022

"Double standards. Terrible airline"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Terrible service. I paid for a seat which cost me $5 extra on top of my flight. I get on the plane only to find an old lady in my seat. I asked if she’d paid for that seat and she said no and she just sat there. So I decided that I would not pay for my seat allocation again and I would just sit there also. Jumped on my plane today and just sat in the seat that I like only to be told I must sit in my allocated seat. I don’t get it? Am I not given the same treatment as some lady? If somebody can take my seat without paying for it then so should I but nope. Double standards. Terrible airline.
RouteChristchurch to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2022

"Not impressed - particularly at the total dishonesty!"

Trip Verified | Don't trust them, we booked Brisbane - Auckland return in Premium economy and they downgraded us to economy with no offer of a refund. I then paid $380AUD to get one leg upgraded back to Premium economy. That's fraud. Waited on the phone for over two hours to be told by the bloke in the call center "tough - that's the way it is". Not impressed - particularly at the total dishonesty!
RouteBrisbane to Los Angeles via Auckland
Date FlownApril 2022

"They do not care about their customers"

Trip Verified | Due to the pandemic, I have been unable to fly with this airline as of yet. My entire experience with this airline and their service dealing with pandemic related issues was the most frustrating and financially costly experience I have ever had with any airline. My family bought tickets to fly out during the spring of 2020, which for obvious reasons fell through. Over the course of the following two years, we pursued every possible avenue to receive a refund for those tickets as we were either unable to fly due to pandemic restrictions in the US and New Zealand, or in the case of this year, members of my family became financially incapable of travel. Even though we reached out many times to make our case for getting out money back so we could travel when everything was safe and we were all financially stable again, the airline refused to budge on the issue. I ended up having to call in to their service line to personally address the issue rather than approach it through emails. Even after years of dealing with our tickets being held up in purgatory and our financial situation getting worse, the final nail in the coffin came today as I received a $175 phone charge for the 44 minutes I had to be on the phone to get half of my family's money back. After years of dealing with this airline, they only chose to refund us a little less than half of the money that we had to contribute, and only because that was the money we were forced to pay in order to maintain our tickets the last time the cost went up. We still have thousands of dollars held up in tickets we may never be able to use. Always get fully refundable tickets from this airline, do not accept their Disney dollars, and do not give them the opportunity to screw you. They do not care about their customers, and after I take this flight some time in the next few years, whenever my family is financially able to, I will never fly with them again. If they would have refunded us the first few times we tried, I would happily fly with them again, but their terrible customer service and lack of respect for the situations many of their passengers find themselves in during these uncertain times leaves me furious and defeated. I hope to never have to deal with this airline ever again, and I am not looking forward to flying with them for my mandatory trip to get rid of my points that I cannot get back.
RouteNew York to Auckland via Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I will avoid this airline again"

Trip Verified | Return tickets for economy (Perth/Auckland) $2400. Expensive because they are the only ones that fly direct on this route. Seats are very narrow and hard to get into. Even though this is almost 8 hour flight you will have to pay extra for any food, drinks and entertainment. I will avoid this airline again and use Jetstar which is cheaper and has the same add on features if you wish to pay extra.
RouteAuckland to Perth