Air New Zealand

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Auckland. I had reserved this flight with point. After completing the booking I was offered to pick my seat by Air New Zealand for an extra fee which I did. On the day of travel I was informed by Air New Zealand staff that due to unforeseen circumstances the seat that I had picked and paid extra for was not available and I was issued a different seat. The staff said there was a few travelers in my situation and they would issue a refund. Ok I get it things happen. But I paid for this seat. If you are going to take it away from me, refund the money. Don't just steal from me. They did not refund me as stated at the ticket counter. I am trying to get a refund but with a poor customer service department (website) it is very frustrating.
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"disappointed in this lack of service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Christchurch. When arriving at Auckland Airport. We recieved unacceptable customer service at the special assistance counter. We have a son in a wheelchair so need the wheelchair to be taken to the flight door. As our son is able to walk limited steps when required. We were told it was a full flight by the air NZ team member. And we had not let them know by email pre flight. And all seats are pre allocated. So she can't just change seats because of us. I explained to her that we have traveled a lot and have never come across this problem. As it is always done through the hospital travel centre.( And when back in Christchurch I rang our agent to confirm this was correct. And she confirmed that they always email the wheelchair weight etc details. ) I asked her if I could maybe have someone else who understood our situation could help us. And she said she would get her supervisor to explain to us. Upon return she said we will do it for today? When reaching the the flight gate we were asked if we had been to special assistance. As they had been informed of us needing assistance? The team member Ash at gate 29 was amazing and even walked as to the flight door. When on our flight we were surprised to find it was not a full flight and there about 50+ empty seats. I'm very disappointed in this lack of service at the beginning of our check in process.
RouteAuckland to Christchurch
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"none of the flight attendants cared"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Auckland. Our trouble first started at LAX when we had received our confirmation email and tickets we noticed that my husband and I had not been seated next to each other, but they told us (in the email) that if we paid an extra 100 dollars each we could pick seats next to each other. So when we arrived at LAX via SeaTac we went to look for a customer service agent. There were no customer service agents so we tried to talk to someone at the gate of a flight leaving earlier than ours. We also tried to ask if there was any room on the earlier flight because we’ve been moved multiple times to earlier same day flights by QANTAS for more convenience. The woman said “if you wanted to change your flight you should have contacted reservations via phone” and then immediately looked behind us and yelled “NEXT” without us even saying another word. So we waited for someone to come to our gate and when they finally arrived we walked up to change our seats. He called someone via phone to change our seats and then said “yeah for some reason they want to sit next to each other” very rudely. Believe it or not I would like to sit next to my husband on a 13 hour flight. He then proceeded to scan our passports (our final destination was Australia where my husband is from) and told me my visa to Australia had been denied. I told him I had a confirmation email that it was approved and gave him the confirmation number. He proceeded to call Australian immigration to figure out what was going on. After he had scanned my passport the first time my husband walked around the desk so he could see the computer screen. The man proceeded to scan my passport at least 15 more times and told me it showed up denied every time, but my husband could see the computer was popping up that my visas were approved. He took thirty minutes to call immigration and finally tell me nothing was wrong with my visa. While we were on the flight you could tell none of the flight attendants cared about anyone on the flight. One of them spilled orange juice all over my husband, he shrugged and then walked off without an apology or giving us a napkin to clean up. Later one of the flight attendants slapped my leg as they walked past for no apparent reason. Lastly I went to the bathroom and as I got out and started walking back to my seat I noticed one of the attendants walking down the same aisle so I started to back up towards the bathroom so he could go by rather than trying to shuffle past each other and as he got closer to me he made a shooing motion and said “GO, GO” and then sat in the back to gossip with all the other flight attendants that were sitting back there. I emailed customer service about all of this and was told I would be contacted in 15-20 days and it has now been almost 4 weeks since I submitted my complaint. This was our first time flying with Air New Zealand and it will be our last, we will continue flying with QANTAS.
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"worked without a shred of enthusiasm"

Trip Verified | Perth to Auckland. Air New Zealand managed to negatively impact our holiday plans and those of 14,000 others before we even left home by withdrawing their Dreamliners from service due to maintenance issues. Thus there were no direct flights from Perth to Christchurch and that direct flight was the only reason we had originally booked Air NZ. This was an immediate fail as re-scheduling had to occur which added some 10 hours unnecessary travelling time and inconvenience to our holiday by having to fly to Auckland and then domestically to Christchurch and return. As to the Perth to Auckland overnight flight the comfort of premium economy on the 777 was fine. We had an ok dinner meal, nothing amazing, but were supposed to have some refresher food prior to landing or so the menu said however that simply didn't eventuate. No explanation was given. Nice cost saving there Air NZ. The crew were efficient but worked without a shred of enthusiasm, one would expect far better in premium class. The flight was on-time. We would be unlikely to fly Air New Zealand again.
RoutePerth to Auckland

"total disappointment"

Not Verified | Brisbane to Auckland. Once again a total disappointment from the lack of care to the second rate seats. The staff are rude and unprofessional drinking a can of coke as they welcome you on board to the lack of smiles. The total lack of please and thank you. The sign to stop evoucher customers in to the forum lounge was the icing on the cake. All I can say is hopeless.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland

"Truly disappointing"

Not Verified | Singapore to Auckland on 26th Dec. My Wife requested on the screen for a set of toothbrush, waited for more than 10 minutes. After which, she called for the flight attendant. Within 10s, staff shoved the set of toothbrush from the back in a rude manner without saying a word. On our return flight from Auckland, it was the same FA again who rudely walk past my Wife holding onto a jug of water and ignored her request for it. Then there was another FA who gave everybody in front, behind and beside us ice-cream but chose to ignore us. And when I called for the flight attendant on the screen, it was ignored as well. We waited for another good half an hr before another flight attendant came on with a basket of leftovers asking people for a second serving, then we received our ice creams. I seriously do not understand how such service would justify for a Best Airline award. This would be the first and last time that I would take Air New Zealand. Truly disappointing!
RouteAuckland to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cannot speak highly enough"

Not Verified | The experience from Norfolk Island to Sydney was amazing. Ground crew at both ends made my day travelling with my 90 year old aunt so easy. I cannot speak highly enough. Thanks to all concerned.
RouteNorfolk Island to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Disappointing change for the worst"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Auckland. Disappointing change for the worst. The decision to change marketing of your seats/tickets on the basis of seat cost and separate extra charges for food, drinks, and entertainment is appalling. Only the discount airlines such as Jetstar and virgin employ this type of ticketing and are transparent about it. Obviously, Air New Zealand has lost its image as a premium airline to resort to this type of non transparent marketing. This situation was highlighted when we travelled over Christmas 2019, when four of our Family members visited Australia. We were very disappointed with the flight and service. We were not made aware of the extras required when booking our flights and therefore had no food, drinks and entertainment as expected. After paying $700 plus each we expected full service, not just a seat. On his separate return flight to NZ, my Brother experienced a terrible and uncomfortable flight with no cabin air conditioning. When he asked flight staff about the situation, they were uncaring and unfriendly. The baggage check in policy has also changed, and is so unfair, as each passenger is allowed 1x23kg bag. Two of us had one (1) bag each and my 9 year old Daughter had two (2) small bags with a combined weight of 17kg - well below the allowable 23kg. Total combined weight of all check in baggage was 64kg - below the allowable 69kg. No consideration or attempt was made to assist only a demand to pay a $160 fee. Air New Zealand staff Immediately demanded payment of $160 for this situation, and then an additional $160 as one of the other bags was 1.6kg overweight. Your staff were unfriendly, arrogant, and not prepared to offer any solution until one of the male staff members came to our rescue and was willing to help with our problem. Other reputable airlines do not treat check in baggage in this way. They are prepared to look at the situation make allowances using combined weight if there is a problem. Based on our experience, we will fly Qantas in future, not Air New Zealand. We have used the discount airlines such as Jetstar and Virgin Pacific in the past and had a far better experience and paid a lot less for the flight.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"they do need to fine tune the minor details"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Wellington. My first domestic flight in New Zealand and so far so good. Check in was done online and all I had to do was go through security after getting my physical boarding pass in the terminal. After a mediocre lounge visit, boarding was on time with followed my departure. The cabin crew were super friendly, with lots of smiles. The cabin needed further cleaning as I spotted crumbs on seats during boarding. Catering were cheese and crackers including a choice of beverage, nothing to elaborate on. The biggest downfall in my opinion was not having headphones for the IFE, I guess you can't win everything. Overall, it was a decent offering from Air NZ but I think they do need to fine tune the minor details that can make a good flight, great.
RouteAuckland to Wellington
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never be flying them again"

Not Verified | Christchurch to Brisbane. Paid over $700 for a ticket, didnt get an option for a drink other than a water or coffee, didn't even come with an inflight meal for a 5 hour flight and again let me stress this .. a $700 ticket! Service was terrible, the attendants didn't seem to want to be there or a give a dam about any of the customers on the plane. I will never be flying them again.
RouteChristchurch to Brisbane