Air Canada

"not being flying with AC again"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Winnipeg departing at 8.15pm. If I try and contact airline via phone I get a voice recording that essentially says we’re not able to put you on hold and we won’t be able to call you back. Sky lounge only serves drinks during certain hours. Sky lounge doesn’t serve any food other than pieces of bread and hummus after 8pm. Seats have no pillows or blankets etc. You’re required to pay to use their in-flight Wi-Fi service for anything other than looking at a map of your flight. There are too many letdowns when it comes to flying domestic business class with Air Canada. I will not being flying with AC again.
AircraftCRJ 900
RouteVancouver to Winnipeg
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Seats cushions are thin"

Trip Verified | Air Canada's Boeing 777-300ER with high density seating, is an appalling aircraft to fly. The seating is cramped and the aisles so narrow. Seats cushions are thin and most uncomfortable. The food and service on board were dreadful. The flight attendants had an indifferent attitude, miserable expression and lack of common courtesy to me. The cabin was excessively hot and despite requests, nothing appeared to be done to alleviate the discomfort. Music selections were poor and the choice of movies.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLondon to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"strongly recommend avoiding this airline"

Trip Verified | On our way down to New Zealand, they lost our bags for 3 days but little did I know that the flight down would be the better flight. This is because on the way back to Vancouver my seat would be paper thin allowing me to feel any movement to the tray table or seat back behind me, the flight would be 30 minutes late and our bags would be late to get to customs, and then after we missed our flight their counter staff wouldn’t help us and say things like “not our problem.” We would still be stuck in Vancouver if Alaska Airlines hadn’t stepped up and rebooked us when the Air Canada customer service called them for help. If you have any other options whether it be a different airline, car, train, your favorite horse, hot air ballon, or even a hydrogen filled zeppelin I would strongly recommend avoiding this airline.
RouteAuckland to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cancelled due to weather"

Not Verified | A colleague and I were set to fly out of Toronto to Edmonton on the 5th of January. Flight got cancelled due to weather Customer was completely overwhelmed. Our flight got rescheduled to the next morning and for some reason we got a connecting flight in Calgary. We went early to the airport and tried to change our to another AC flight that was direct to Edmonton scheduled 15min after the Calgary one. The agent told us that flight was delayed an hour so we decided to bite the bullet and just transfer in Calgary. We also didn't want to further complicate our checked baggage finding its way home. Flight to Calgary left on time and went fine. As soon as we arrive in Calgary our flight to Edmonton gets delayed a couple times and eventually cancelled for mechanical issues. Flight rescheduled for the next morning. Colleague and I decided we're better off just renting a car at this point because we can't afford to miss another day of work. Customer service is brutal and dismissive of anyone's problems.
RouteToronto to Edmonton
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"contrast between two flights was enormous"

Trip Verified | Before we departed, we discovered our return flight was changed by a day only when we rang Air Canada to upgrade ... just per chance we had booked a connecting flight with Air Canada. Had we booked the connection with a different airline we would have had to pay for the alteration to our flight. Also, we had to change plans and add another night to our New York accommodation. We had not been informed of the change, goodness know if and when Air Canada might have decided to inform us. The service from Melbourne to Vancouver was appalling. Food and drinks offered were the minimum for what was a long flight. Alternatively staff on the flight from Vancouver to Montreal were exceptional. They went out of their way to assist, offer snacks, smile and just offer exceptional service. The contrast between the two flights was enormous, unfortunately we received bad service on the long flight. We are yet to make the return flight and it's not looking good. We have attempted on 3 occasions to telephone Air Canada and on each occasion, the wait time is 1 hour!
RouteMelbourne to Montreal via Vancouver
Date FlownDecember 2019

"absolute waste of a day"

Not Verified | We are currently sitting on the plane from Montreal to Calgary. We have been at the airport since 6.45am for a flight scheduled to leave at 8.25. It is now 1.15 pm. We have missed our bus connection to Banff. This has been an absolute waste of a day. There has been one delay after another and to be honest I think this airline is a joke. I have lost count of the number of texts sent for each delay. We won’t get to see Banff now And it is such a long way from Australia to get here.
RouteMontreal to Calgary
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cancelled due to weather"

Trip Verified | Connecting flight from Toronto to Halifax cancelled due to weather, ok understandable. Rebooked on flight later that night, which I got bumped from. One customer service agent at the desk provided really bad service too, I get that you're tired of dealing with customers but the lady was acting as if her flight got cancelled. She even complained to her colleague about having to hold with Air Canada when phoning to get help with the situation. So I'm put on the 10:00 flight for 06 Jan 2020, I even get checked in and get a boarding pass. An hour later I get an email saying I'm now bumped from this flight and on the 18:30 flight. This cannot be due to weather as the 10:00 flight is not cancelled. Now I've been on hold for over an hour waiting to speak with someone. They really need to hire more customer service agents for the call center considering how much the company is messing up lately. They also told everyone that hotels will not be provided because it was due to weather, stranding a bunch of people. I'm thinking of just getting a full refund and booking with WestJet to get out of here earlier tomorrow.
AircraftB777-30
RouteCalgary to Halifax via Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"little legroom and elbow room"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Brisbane via Vancouver. I could not believe how small my seat was and how little legroom and elbow room I had. I bought a carry on specifically so it would fit under my seat so I wouldn’t have to bother with the overhead storage and could access my case when needed without bothering other passengers, however, it wouldn’t fit under the seat. I’m 5’2 and weigh 117 lbs. I could barely move my arms without invading the space of the person sitting next to me. I became sick and had to get up to go to the washroom, but the other two passengers had to get up and out first. I asked the flight attendant for aspirin, he said yes but continued cleaning food trays and made me wait ten minutes.
RouteEdmonton to Brisbane via Vancouver

"No compensation whatsoever"

Trip Verified | My return flight from Kelowna to Edmonton just got cancelled due to fog. Ok that's fine, it's a 1 hour flight. Air Canada personnel on the plane said "go to the Air Canada" desk when you get inside. We all go inside and no one shows up there and it's only 8pm. We all wait there and wait there. Nothing. Then I get an email that I will fly to Vancouver 2 days later and then a lay over and then fly to Edmonton. That is unbelievable. Other passengers got a flight the next day and others 2 days later in the evening. No compensation whatsoever. I will never fly Air Canada again!
RouteEdmonton to Kelowna
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"flight to Vancouver was cancelled"

Trip Verified | My flight to Vancouver was cancelled and I was notified of the cancellation the day before, with a note that a follow up email on the rescheduled flight would be sent. However, I did not get an email. I tried calling in for hours on end with no one to assist and also wrote in requesting for help. Nothing happened. I went down the next day to realise that there was a rescheduled flight that I was not notified of, even through I was booked into it. The staff at the airport did not offer to help and asked us to get back on the phone to get through to the billing, but again did not get through. I did not manage to get on the later flight that day and had to purchase another ticket with United Airlines the next day. This was a terrible and frustrating experience that left me at a loss of words about Air Canada’s service standards. An airline like Air Canada to have not only missed out communication, have such poor customer service response times and incompetent and dismissive service staff is a triple whammy to one of North America’s best airlines. I am very disappointed and displeased.
RouteLas Vegas to Vancouver