Air Canada

"could not change my aisle seat"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Toronto. I could not change my aisle seat where staff may ram the trolley into my knee. There was some equipment under the seat in front of me that took up leg space, and seemed to be falling apart. My dietary preferences were ignored.
RouteShanghai to Toronto

"Absolutely terrible"

Trip Verified | Newark to Toronto with Air Canada. Absolutely terrible. The flight was only 1 hour but then it got delayed by 45 minutes. Because of that we missed our next flight by like 1 minute. The man that was at the front of the gate said, “It’s no ones fault that you’re late”. Excuse me, it is your fault. There were no other flights to my final destination so I had to wait till the next day.
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"didn't allow me to board"

Trip Verified | Milan to Toronto, I and my wife filled the eTA at the airport as they recommended (the permit you need to travel through Canada). They checked in my wife and stopped me and said your approval has not arrived yet. I had the approval on my phone and in my email and I showed it to the agent there. She refused and made a phone call. They separated me and my wife and didn't allow me to board. I tried to contact them by phone and via customer service but they told me I have to buy another ticket for myself (which I ended up doing).
RouteMilan to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"stuck in the airport since 11 am"

Trip Verified | Flight delayed 4 times. Had connecting flights through Montreal and been stuck in the airport since 11 am. It’s now 6 pm and still getting notifications that the flight is delayed. Customer service sucks. No help at all. Was refused any compensation.
RouteMontreal to Winnipeg
Date FlownApril 2019

"flight was late 4 hours"

Trip Verified | I booked Qatar airways to India. My connection was Edmonton to Montreal before flying Qatar Airways to Doha and Amritsar. Air Canada flight from Edmonton to Montreal was late 4 hours. I missed my all next flights.
RouteEdmonton to Montreal
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | London to Toronto. My mom recently visited me and I booked a wheelchair for her. She never had been any issues until she reached Toronto. An employee behaved rude and unprofessional to us. Very bad experience.
RouteLondon to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"downgrade the lowest fares"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Paris. Unvoluntary downgrated from business class to economy, after I made a claim, Air Canada generously gave me a $300 coupon as a compensation while I paid $1,700 for that leg of the flight. The rule is, if there is not enough seats in business to accommodate all passengers, they will downgrade the lowest fares.
RouteToronto to Paris
Date FlownApril 2019

"plane returned to the gate"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. After half an hour waiting, the plane returned to the gate to get checked. Is it not supposed to happen before boarding? Last year the flight from Vancouver to London was delayed, and we missed our connection and one day of vacation. They didn't do anything to help us to get our connecting flight - on the contrary. They made us wait and we lost 30 minutes that might have helped. I will never fly Air Canada again.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"failure to address my emails"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Charlotte via Toronto. It started with the grounding of the 737 Max 8 which lead to the first cancellation of my flights on March 15. This is understandable. I went online and changed all of my flights and my wife's flights and lost a day of travel but had everything sorted. I was now due to depart on the 16th. I got a call on the 15th from an agent saying my new flight was cancelled due to a schedule change. I questioned the reason "schedule change" as the agent didn't realize my wife was on the same plane and my wife's ticket was still good. Everything got rebooked to have us routed through Vancouver and then overnighting now in Toronto and arriving the following day in Charlotte. When I arrived in Vancouver I got a text that my plane to Toronto was cancelled and I wasn't departing Vancouver until 11:55pm to Toronto with a 1 hour gap between my arrival and the flight to Charlotte. This was a problem as my luggage was all tagged to Toronto as I was supposed to be getting off and collecting my bags. I went to luggage services and arranged for the bags to all be redirected to Charlotte. I was assured this happened. When I arrived in Toronto I was met with the news that 2 out of 3 of my bags were not located. They almost did not let me board to the US with missing luggage but we finally got through with 4 minutes to spare and a very long run across the airport. I had to purchase new clothes as my bags were missing for three days. I finally got my bags but had to keep calling them to check on them and had to report the issue three different times as they failed to file a proper file number. I was never given the file number and I am now struggling to claim these charges. Due to the three flight cancellations I incurred charges for two missed hotel stays that couldn't be cancelled. We had a great time in Charlotte and on the last day I checked in online for my flight and it said to arrive at the airport 3 hours early for the international flight so we did. When we arrived at the airport there is only one Air Canada counter and there were no staff present to check our bags. We waited for 45 minutes after having the airport page them for someone to show up. When the agent finally showed up and we questioned why we have to be here three hours before our flight but she wasn't here, her response was "My schedule says I start at 9 take it up with my boss". There is a sign on the counter that says an agent will only be present 3 hours before flight departure times which clearly was not the case. I emailed air Canada customer service twice regarding these issues and the first response was a generic canned response addressing the grounding of the Max 8 737, which did not address my concerns. I noticed through my trip, no matter the issue they were using that as the reason for everything. I originally asked for someone to call me which has still not happened and I have written a reply to their email which they have not responded to. There were multiple opportunities available for the airline to step up and do something such as hotel vouchers during layovers etc. but they did nothing and the failure to address my emails with a legitimate response is disgraceful.
RouteEdmonton to Charlotte via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2019

" did not load hot food"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. Second time this has happened, they did not load hot food for sale on a 5+ hour flight. All that was offered for sale were some humuus, Twizzlers and Pringles. Such little respect for the customer. Why don't they let passengers know before boarding. I know AC focus is Business Class but a brand is only as good as it's weakest link.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER