Air Canada

"told the money is coming""

Trip Verified | Had booked a flight for mid April to fly to Ecuador. The flight was from Vancouver to Toronto, Toronto to Quito. COVID happened so they cancelled our flight from Toronto to Quito and back, There was no refund. We cancelled the new flight (we didn't want to go to Toronto for two weeks) and never got our money back. We took a $500 hit for cancelling but were still owed $900- we have a receipt saying this money would be sent to us. This was at the end of March. It is now the end of September. I have multiple times spent the 2+ hours on hold with them only to be told "the money is coming" and being given random numbers like "in 51 business days" or some other such nonsense. I get COVID happened and airlines had a whole bunch of people to reroute and refund and deal with but it has been 6 months. No emails have been answered and no phone calls have led to clear answers.
RouteVancouver to Quito via Toronto
Date FlownApril 2020

"your safety is not their number one priority"

Trip Verified | Man beside me refused to wear his mask properly the entire flight. He would simply slip it back on whenever the stewardess was looking. Eventually he fell asleep and I managed to point out that he was not properly wearing it (or even remaining in his own seat) and the stewardess said “he’s sleeping so..” then shrugged and walked away. So I got to spend my flight with a mask-less man invading my space and taking a full open mouth nap. Just know if you fly with Air Canada, your safety is not their number one priority. In my case, the safety of myself and other people on my flight was less important than one mans nap.
RouteEdmonton to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"professional, helpful, attentive and friendly"

Trip Verified | First long haul flight since Covid impacted travel. Check in smooth at T2 at Heathrow. Service on board to Vancouver was outstanding. The crew were professional, helpful, attentive and friendly throughout the journey. I was very impressed. Food satisfactory given the circumstances. Air Canada's IFE could be better with an improved selection of movies. However, overall, a very pleasant flight with an excellent in-flight crew.
RouteLondon to Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2020

"luggage was not taken off the flight"

Not Verified | My luggage was not taken off the flight while I was stuck in immigration. I was not notified until 6 hours after my flight had left that my luggage was flown to Edmonton airport. I was not given an incident report to fill out, immigration at Toronto took my boarding passes from me! I am home 3 days now and am getting absolutely no information about my luggage. I know it is at Edmonton International airport! This is the second time my luggage has gone missing with Air Canada.
RouteDublin to Edmonton via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2020

"it was cancelled again"

Trip Verified | I booked my flight out of China after COVID-19 hit. China had already officially announced to the public a one-flight-a-week per country per airline policy, but when Air Canada continued listing daily flights out, I believed that Canada must have been an exception. I called to ask questions, but apparently I didn't ask the right ones. My flight was cancelled, then I rebooked, then it was cancelled again. Air Canada wasn't able to fly even once weekly until mid August, after many other airlines had resumed doing so. I eventually had to book a flight out on a Chinese airline, and had to frantically rehome my kitty as a result of Air Canada's false promises. The company is refusing to issue me refunds even for these flights that they never could have expected to take off. I used to feel confident about flying Air Canada. Now I don't intend to ever do so again.
RouteShanghai to Vancouver

"delays without compensation"

Trip Verified | I've flown HKG-YVR-YEG multiple times and this is my first time flying out of Shanghai. The flights are never on time. Delays after delays without compensation, and whenever I go to the kiosk to ask them to put me on a different connecting flight, they are always reluctant and would tell me to contact Ctrip directly (where I originally booked my ticket). Once I specifically asked about my tagged bags when they put me on a different flight, and after they explained to me that bags are attached to the barcode of my new boarding pass and that I have nothing to worry about, I went home without my bags for two days. My entertainment system also didn't work for three hours.
RouteHong Kong to Edmonton via Vancouver
Date FlownDecember 2019

"They lost our bags"

Not Verified | They lost our bags and 4 days later nothing. Their call center is useless. The audio connection is frustratingly bad. Even when you can hear someone they can't provide any additional information other than what's online, which in my case was always incorrect. No way to contact actually baggage counters. The Air Canada rep told me it would be faster for me to drive 40min each way to the airport vs try to use the 1-800 number. The flight itself was delayed l, and in a 5hour flight we were given water and pretzels. Never flying with them again.
RouteNew York to Calgary via Montreal
Date FlownJuly 2020

"credit of $350 only good for $43 dollars"

Trip Verified | Air Canada changed the flight itinerary for a Toronto-Seattle flight, and I could no longer make the flight due to this change. They offered to convert the value of my flight ($350) into a credit that I could use at a later date. I thought this was great, and proceeded to apply the credit to a different flight (Toronto-Dublin) which costs $590 on the AirCanada website, taxes included (Image attached). I would've expected that my $350 credit would be applied to the new $590 flight, and I'd just have to pay the remaining balance of $240. This is not what happened. The credit of $350 was only good for $43 dollars on this new flight, and the rest of the credit vanished ($307), and I'm now at a net expense of $853 because I was charged an additional $546 "tax charge" for the new Dublin flight booking (on top of the remaining $307 credit value that couldn't be applied and doesn't exist anymore). I was not informed that it would have been better to use my credit for the same Toronto-Seattle route, instead of applying the credit to a new destination where the taxes aren't transferable. So after realizing this on my own, I then tried to cancel that new booking to Dublin and receive a refund for the $546, as it was still within 24 hours of the booking confirmation. This way I could keep my original $350 credit to save for a later date to use for Seattle specifically, and get full use of the credit value, and just book the Dublin flight separately on my own. However, they said this was also not possible, as a new booking made with a credit isn't the same as a regular booking, so the 24 hour rule doesn't apply, and I'm left short $307 in credit value that doesn't exist. I've contacted their customer relations department, and they've responded saying they cannot assist me. I've had multiple trip cancellations with other airlines, where my credits were kept and applied for the full value of the ticket. I don't understand how $350 dollars in credit only becomes $43 in usable valuable, while the rest goes down the drain. Don't advertise increased flexibility with credits and vouchers, when in fact they are imaginary and will leave you short hundreds of dollars. I hope this helps with other people who aren't sure what to do about a flight credit/ voucher with Air Canada.
RouteToronto to Seattle via Vancouver

"compassion and professionalism"

Not Verified | I had flown back to Toronto for a family emergency and did not book a return flight. While attempting to book a flight home there were some issues and I ended up being billed for a ticket I did not need. After some back and forth and confusion I spoke with a woman named Betty from the Montreal office. She was extremely helpful, and very patient with me as this was a somewhat confusing issue. Adding the stress of this extra charge on top of my family emergency was obviously upsetting. She placed me on hold and when she returned had informed me everything was taken care of and I would be getting a refund. Thank you so much for your compassion and professionalism!
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2020

"a regular average service"

Trip Verified | Flown to Vancouver in the morning. onboard was very limited service due to covid-19 so I was fine with that. Great entertainment system- I meant many variety of choices to choose from so that was nice. During 5 hr flight, I watched some movies and it was great, no technical issues whatsoever. Airplane almost half full due to seating covid-19 restricting so didn't mind that as the middle seat next to me was empty. From the moment of checking in , boarding, enroute and to arrival, my overall personal impression was a regular average service.
RouteToronto to Vancouver