Aegean Airlines

"catering was awful"

Trip Verified | Athens to Heraklion. Our flight from Rhodes to Athens with Aegean Airlines was quite late so upon arrival into Athens we knew it would be a tight connection even though the flight from Athens to Heraklion was still at the airport and this flight was late anyway. We got to the gate to be told the flight had been closed and we were booked onto the next flight. We asked if they could re-open the flight and get us on. They issued the new boarding passes for the next flight and my partner and I were not sitting together as we were just added to the next flight. We asked them to seat us together but they said there was nothing they could do. The annoying things was that the ground and lounge staff didn't try to accommodate us and get us onto our original flight. The crew on the flight were OK but catering was awful for the 50 mins flight.
RouteAthens to Heraklion
Date FlownJune 2019

"we were very satisfied"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Athens. Online booking process very straightforward and easy. Their fares are very competitive. Very easy boarding process, the staff are friendly and helpful. My wife and I flew Madrid to Athens round trip, both airplanes were clean, good legroom, service fine. Meals, well airplane meals are similar, these were okay, the good thing is they included wine in Economy. This has been our only experience with Aegean and we were very satisfied. Good airline.
RouteMadrid to Athens

18th June 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

Dear Mr. Kattan, We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent flight with us and we hope to welcome you back on board soon. Thank you.

"say they would credit the charge"

Trip Verified | Santorini to London via Athens. When my sister and I checked in for the Santorini to Athens flights we had two rollerbags which were labeled cabin baggage on check in by Aegean. (A355 3 June) On our continuing flight to London (A3602 3 June), the gate agent stopped us and demanded that we pay 60 euros for one of our carryons despite the fact they were tagged by Aegean on our previous connecting flight. He would not let us on the plane unless we paid him. We finally paid to not hold up other travelers but in the confusion of this my purse was left on his counter. (not the main check in counter but the one to the side of the door where he collected the money). Immediately upon getting to my seat I noticed the purse missing. I asked the three stewardesses at the front of the plane if I could retrieve my purse at that counter. The man charging us the baggage fee at the last minute could also have run the purse down, and didn't. I could not leave the plane to go up the ramp but they did not offer for one of them to get it for me; and instead waited for a young baggage boy to go see it it was there. What could have been accomplished in 5 minutes took at least 15 or more. He came back and said he did not see it. Literally, it was only 5 minutes from the time we got to our seat to when I could have had a stewardess check the countertop. The attendants could have called the gate but didn't or one of them gone to that counter, but they did not. On arrival at Heathrow, the departure agent called Athens for me and the purse was at lost and found with greek police at airport. They had it at the ticket check in stand after all! They gave me the reference number of 2294 and said to call DHL (maybe UPS) to have it couriered to me. I am not a business and have no way of putting the purse (small fabric dark grey shoulder bag 10 x 12") in a box with a label which was suggested for pickup. Aegean Air, when contacted, said I would have to go through Greek lost and found and could offer no further assistance. I will pay if needed for it to be sent. I obviously am not in Athens and do not know anyone to pick the purse up for me there. The ticket agent in London was helpful but all of the numbers I have tried to reach since then either don't respond or give me another number that doesn't respond. He also said we should not have been charged the 60 euros at the last minute on the continuing flight. After calls and emails the airline finally did say they would credit the charge. It now has taken me five days and numerous long distance calls to get my purse returned. Hopefully this coming week UPS in conjunction with an exceptionally helpful lady in lost and found may be able to return my purse.
RouteSantorini to London via Athens
Date FlownJune 2019

12th June 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

Dear Mrs. Campbell, We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on your recent flight with us. Generally, any piece of cabin baggage that exceeds the specified dimension and weight limits, will have to be checked-in. You may find all the relevant information here https://bit.ly/2aycePp. Additionally, upon embarking the airplane, certain standard procedures did not allow our cabin crew to provide you with the assistance that you requested at the time, regarding your purse. In such cases, forgotten items are handled by the authorities and the respective Lost & Found office. We thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

"app very easy and convenient"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Larnaca return for work. Flights full both ways and punctual. Used the app to check in - very easy and convenient - still able to choose seats, some without charge - a charge applies to the front seats or the extra leg space ones. I was traveling with hand luggage only, however decided to check it in for free. Embarkation done on time and with order. People always trying to get in as much cabin bags as they can, however personnel handled the situation well, taking some on hold and I did not see them fining anybody. Light meal and refreshments served on this 1h30min flight. The return flight was very turbulent all the way, so they served the food, but stopped the drinks service early on. The majority of the passengers did not get anything to drink. Some passengers panicking and vomiting, but the crew managed It well, calming passengers and maintaining a good spirit.
AircraftA321 / 320
RouteAthens to Larnaca
Date FlownMarch 2019

12th June 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

Dear Mr. Karykas, We are delighted to read your positive review regarding your recent flight with us. We always aim to provide our passengers with quality services both before, during and after the flight. Indeed, under certain circumstances, where turbulence occurs, our meals and refreshments service is halted. However, we hope that we will able to provide you with the full service that we would like in your next flight. We are looking forward to seeing you on board again.

"pay for a handbag of 7.5kg 25 euros"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Milano to Chania via Athens. I received an email from Aegean for upgrade (but I did not notice that the upgrade was only for the flight Milano-Athens). My offer (80 euros) was accepted. For the flight I had two handbags of 3.5 and 7.5 kg as permitted for Business class (less than the 5 and 8 kg allowance for each handbag). It was only in Athens that I was asked to pay for one of these handbags (Athens-Chania was still economy and only one luggage is permitted) either 60 euros in the gate (with a fine) or to run to check-in 124 of Aegean to pay 25 euros. I had to pay for a handbag of 7.5kg 25 euros. If they had informed me in Milano when I checked in my luggage that I would have to pay for the one handbag in Athens, I would have put the content of small handbag in one of my luggage, since there was space in my baggage. The use of the lounge of Aegean in Athens was not permitted. I wrote to Aegean and customer relations department of Aegean who replied and stated twice only that the flight Athens to Chania was economy. As for the space in the business class. If you get the seats 1A or 1 C is fine. I was in 1F and the space was not something that is worth the money. Also, in row 2 the seats seems to be like the space in the seats+ (why pay for business class?). The folded tables that are opened from the arm of the chair are not convenient.
RouteMilano to Chania via Athens

"Very comfortable flight"

Trip Verified | Munich to Thessaloniki. Good flight and still the only airline that can really be called full service for inter Europe flights. Departure from MUC was an hour late but time was made up during the flight. Onboard staff were friendly and a hot meal was served for breakfast. I am not sure the choice of the pastry is the best item as it was a bit stodgy, bread rolls however were hot and fresh can’t remember that last time that happened on a flight even in business class. Boarding in MUC was via airbridge deplaned via bus. Very comfortable flight.
RouteMunich to Thessaloniki

23rd May 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

Dear Mr. Hoffmann we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our services during your flight! And let us inform you that you can always pre-select your meal via our webpage at https://bit.ly/2K0ICtM . We will be happy to see you on board again soon. Thank you.

"soft drinks were available"

Trip Verified | Athens to London. Slightly disappointed by the crew this time round. A passenger behind me asked for tea during the pre-lunch drinks service and was told that only soft drinks were available (not true as Aegean offers wine and beer in its European economy).
RouteAthens to London

28th May 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

We were sorry when we read your less than favorable review. Indeed, for those who travel to/from London, before and after serving the hot meals, we do offer refreshments and soft/low alcohol drinks. Therefore, we shared your comment with our Cabin Crew office to check internally what happened on this specific case, as what you describe is absolutely not our standard practice. In any case, we always appreciate our customers’ feedback and we hope to see you on board, soon. Thank you!

"Very disappointed"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to London Heathrow. I am a gold member of Aegean and since 2 years ago the quality is becoming worse every day. The quality of food in business class is very poor. We were offered lamp and there was not a single piece of meat, only fat. The distance between the rows is extremely small unless you pay extra. I paid 567 euro for this flight and obviously I didn’t want to pay not even 1 euro extra. Practices of low cost companies with tickets of an extremely expensive one. Very disappointed.
RouteAthens to London Heathrow
Date FlownApril 2019

"Really unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | Athens to Vienna. Really unhelpful staff. The app is confusing and it left out my name down twice for the two tickets I purchased. Went to check in and realised this so called and was told I’d get my money back but instead they charged me double the price I paid for the ticket and said they were doing me a favour!
RouteAthens to Vienna
Date FlownApril 2019

24th April 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

We are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was less than satisfactory. When booking through our application for two (2) or more passengers, your details are automatically inserted and you are set as the lead passenger, provided you have signed in to the application with your Miles+Bonus account. The details of the other passenger(s) have to be inserted manually, as the relevant fields remain blank. Additionally, name changes for tickets that have been issued cannot be performed, unless certain circumstances apply, which you may find here https://bit.ly/2Gzvzfg. The cancellation and refund process is based on the fare rules that apply to the ticket you have booked, which you may find here https://bit.ly/2QZaphP. Nonetheless, your feedback is much appreciated and we do hope to host you on board soon.

"very professional airline"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Larnaca. Aegean is a very professional airline, I have experienced many many flights with them, aircraft though cramped are in excellent condition, flight attendants are given top marks, whilst snacks etc at least on some routes are getting below average, for example on this flight we were given a tasteless small piece of bread which looked like a pie.. As on many airlines you have to pay for check in luggage, pay for a seat if you choose the first 12 rows etc. In general a punctual and reliable airline, but ever so often they avoid jet step walkways and this is my constant complaint, as it has happened many many times especially on this route to Larnaca, or even Munich and London.. On this flight for example we arrived under torrential rain, the airport at Larnaca was half empty and Aegean parked at a distance, go down the stairs, get wet, into the bus and then the drive to the underground entry to the airport.
RouteAthens to Larnaca
Date FlownMarch 2019

17th April 2019 : Aegean Airlines response

Dear Mr. Macolinos, we are sorry to hear that your overall experience was less than satisfactory. Our onboard menu is very carefully selected based on the Greek cuisine and please rest assured that we will pass your feedback to our colleagues at our catering services. Regarding your comment for the usage of the boarding bridge, we understand the inconvenience caused to you, due to the continuous rains of the past days. As you know though, the availability of the airport parking stands, including the boarding bridges, is granted by the respective airport authorities and while our aim is to allocate as many flights as possible to a boarding bridge, due to the limited availability thereof, it is not always feasible for us to do so. Kindly note that our overall boarding bridge usage on our flights is more than 60%. Nonetheless, your feedback is much appreciated and we do hope to host you on board soon.