Aegean Airlines

"that is why I started yelling"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | I was traveling to Bucharest, after checking in and going through the control area, I arrived at the gate that my flight was going to take place. 30 minutes before the flight, they announced that the boarding will start soon. Firstly, it was smooth no problems with anyone even though some people had more than 1 luggage, duty free bags. Towards the end of boarding and approximately 20 people were standing at the queue, a female came to check the last people's tickets to see what ticket they purchased. I have purchased the economy class ticket along with most of my fellows. That lady checked my ticket, and said only one bag is allowed in the plane looking at my other hand while I was holding an extra duty free bag with 2 bottle of spirit that I purchased. And she literally pointed that I had to shove into my bag 2 alcoholic spirits which it was really hard since my bag was smaller than the required size. I did manage to storeboth in my bag which I was really glad about it. When I reached the ticket check, the same lady stopped me and said "OK did u manage to fit everything in your luggage'' I replied "yes thank you" and she goes "ok let's check the weight". It's this moment that you realize the obvious. Yes the luggage was more than 8kg but what you expect after she is the one that told me fit everything in your bag so you can board the aircraft. So I was really angry at that moment and that is why I started yelling. What was the outcome?! I did manage to fit the 2 alcoholic spirits in my bag I had only one bag That bag was more that 8 kg obviously since I had to fit everything She initially said nothing can be done and after a while she changed her mind and charged that bag with an extra 50 euros.
RouteAthens to Bucharest
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Smiling and helpful crew"

Trip Verified | 6-month old Airbus A320 Neo. Aegean has opted for a very nice internal configuration on this brand new aircraft type but, strangely, without IFE & overhead screens for live flight tracking / map. Smiling and helpful crew. Poor mean served (a small sandwich, a small chocolate bar and a bottle of water). Full drinks service. At the moment, the Aegean lounge at Athens airport has a much better offering than the Lufthansa lounge. Would fly again.
AircraftA320 Neo
RouteAthens to Milan
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"excellent on every level"

Trip Verified | I required assistance on flights from Edinburgh via Athens to Santorini, and on my return , I would like to thank all of your staff at every stage of my journey, they were excellent on every level and made my journey so easy and were pleasant and made me feel comfortable, thank you all so much
RouteEdinburgh to Santorini
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"cabin crew could have been more strict"

Trip Verified | Check-in in Dublin was handled by Swissport, the staff were friendly and efficient. The Swissport staff apologised that the lounge was not available (not sure if this was Covid-19 related or because the flight departs at 23.59), in any case Aegean should really make this clear at the time of booking. Fast Track security was also closed but it didn't matter as there was hardly anyone at security. Boarding was well managed. The cabin was modern and comfortable and USB ports were available at the seat. The Cabin Crew were charming and efficient. The on board service consisted of a bag containing a sandwich, a muffin, juice and water. There was also a bar service with alcoholic and soft drinks. I had pre-ordered a gluten free meal but all special meals have been suspended due to Covid-19. While I understand the need to simplify the service I think it should still be possible to provide special meals in a pre-packaged format like the standard meals. My only other observation is that the cabin crew could have been more strict enforcing face covering requirements where passengers were wearing these below the nose/mouth. Although I had booked a flexible business class fare there was still a substantial fare difference to change my return flight date.
AircraftA320neo
RouteDublin to Athens

"refused me boarding"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I cannot speak for the flight itself but for the boarding experience at Malpensa Airport. Boarding staff were verbally aggressive towards me. I hadn't the PLF form to fly to Greece but managed to submit it while waiting fellow passengers boarding, the flight was due to arrive at 9 pm and I would receive the PLF at 0 am the next day so I could easily waited that time at Athens airport to present it to authorities, still the boarding gate lady, which spoke fluent Portuguese and was Portuguese, refused me boarding.
RouteMilan Malpensa to Athens
Date FlownAugust 2020

"sandwich, a snack and a bottle of water"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | The A320neo has 31 rows of seats which means the legroom is very tight. During e-check in they allocate you seat which you cannot change unless you pay at least €5. Inflight service was poor with a bag which contained a sandwich, a snack and a bottle of water. They do not serve alcohol due to covid-19. Announcements were on English and Greek.
AircraftA320neo
RouteAthens to Marseilles
Date FlownAugust 2020

"do not allow a backpack and a cabin bag"

Trip Verified | I had two calls with them on the 23rd and the 24th of July with regards to changing my flight. According to them, I could have one change without penalty with no extra charge due to Covid-19. However, because I needed to change airports, I had to pay the penalty. Whilst on my first call, the girl I talked to told me that I needed to pay 100euros for the change whereas the next day I was told to pay 140euros for the same change (Note: The flight rate didn't change at all). Despite the difference, I changed my flight ticket asking for a baggage too. They booked my ticket without adding a baggage! I called yesterday to ask what happened and they were telling me that there was no charge for the baggage. Then, they told me they would listen to my recording and call me back. They called me two hours later; the phone was ringing for 5 secs and I did not manage to pick it up. I called back and I was told that the girl who was assisting me finished her work for the day. The next person told me that would look into it but instead of putting me on hold, they hung up on me and never called back! I called again today, the assistant could not find the notes of the first person who listened to the recording and of course did not add my baggage for free. I did however requested both calls (the one asking for 100euros and the second one when they asked for more money and did not add my baggage); I am waiting for the response. On the 2nd of August, I flew from Athens to Heraklion. There was about a 2-hour delay and the airline offered us a free ticket. However, they state that I cannot use the free ticket during Christmas, Easter, July and August but as I live in the UK and I am not allowed to use it the only periods that I can travel to Greece. Due to Covid-19 they do not allow a backpack and a cabin bag on board. They do not allow to check-in the cabin bag. The price tickets are not cheaper either.
RouteHeraklion to London via Athens
Date FlownAugust 2020

"seat selection is not free"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Up until recently Aegean was one of the best carriers in Europe. This is not the case anymore as they are adopting more and more policies of a typical low cost airline. For the lowest fare category (go light), one item is now allowed in the cabin and seat selection is not free. Any extra item cannot be checked for free but customers need to pay a fee at the airport. I just hope this is a temporary measure due to Covid19.
RouteRhodes to Athens
Date FlownAugust 2020

"kept taking their masks off"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Flying from Rhodes to Larnaca with my family during the Covid-19 pandemic with Aegean Airlines was not a nice experience. The passengers behind us kept taking their masks off and talking, and despite our numerous attempt to ask the staff to ask the passengers to keep their masks on they took it off. Even a steward talked to them for 15 minutes while it was off and still they did not care. We ended up having to keep it on for everyones safety and they just said relax.
AircraftA320-200
RouteRhodes to Larnaca
Date FlownJuly 2020

"could only bring one item on board"

Trip Verified | Heraklion to Thessaloniki. They said that because of covid-19 we could only bring one item on board. People had to measure their luggage size and to pay 40 euros extra, while there was plenty of space on board. At the same time there were really no airport covid19 tests taking place. Also my seat was small for 75 mins flight.
RouteHeraklion to Thessaloniki