American Airlines

"It’s the disrespect for me"

Trip Verified | It’s the disrespect for me. Shortly before boarding, we were notified that the flight was full and some bags would need to be checked. I boarded in one of the final groups and expressed that I was concerned about checking my carry on. The attendant harshly responded “idk what to tell you. Everyone here is checking their bags. All I asked politely was if any passengers already boarded were willing to check their bags. Another agent said “We can find you another flight if you don’t.” Then a different travel agent explained the policy so I could clearly understand. As soon as I was compliant upon understanding the policy, another attendant insisted I board the plane now and threatened to not allow me to travel because I responded to her rude impatience. Due to the way I was approached, I did not have time to think to get my medication that I need daily and I am on a flight until the morning. It does nothing but look bad to view customers as problematic when they are concerned about safety matters with last minute changes. As for the policy: if a single woman is traveling abroad alone, the least you can do is let her have her bag.
RoutePhoenix to Philadelphia
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"the worst travel experience"

Trip Verified | Worst travel experience I have ever had. I left for a work trip on Monday 09/12 from Boston and was supposed to land at Hilton Head Island at 5:30PM but the flight from Boston was delayed from landing which caused me to miss my flight from Charlotte NC to HHH (which was also last flight of the day). I had to be put on a flight to Savannah GA (which was delayed for an hour from taking off) then drive an hour to get to my hotel. I didn’t get to my hotel until 9:30 PM! A 4 hour difference! On the way home, flight from HHH to Washington DC was fine until we landed at 2PM and we weren’t able to exit the plane for an hour which caused me to miss my flight to Boston which left at 3PM. I was transferred to a 5PM flight which was also delayed until 5:42PM but didn’t even take off until 6:12PM. I was supposed to land in Boston at 4:30PM but didn’t actually land until 8PM! A 3.5 hour difference. I will never fly with AA again. It was my first and last time. Literally the worst travel experience I ever had.
RouteBoston to Hilton Head Island via Charlotte
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"done with this trash airline forever"

Trip Verified | I was returning from San Diego from a gastrointestinal surgery. I had specifically booked first class in the first seat to make things as simple as possible. As I was boarding the flight, the coach stewardess was greeting people. I informed her that I had just had surgery and needed assistance lifting my carryon into the overhead. She burst out laughing and said, "Everyone on the plane has had surgery! Maybe someone in the back can help you," implying not only that she didn't care but that I must be flying coach. She literally did not car. Before takeoff, the first class steward informed me that he had overheard the exchange and deeply apologized for her rudeness. This was quite nice of him and he assured me he would help take my carryon down for me at the end of the flight. However, he had also overheard the conversation and did not offer to help with put my carryon in the overhead either. Absolutely disgusting flight staff behavior. I've dealt with American's rude flight staff before, but I'm now done with this trash airline forever.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSan Diego to Dallas

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Horrible cheap. Poor customer service. Employees are rude and careless. Never again. I rather pay more money for way better. I refuse to take this type of customer service. Please improve it!
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Tampa

"Pick another airline"

Trip Verified | They had us sitting in the airplane cabin in Texas heat with no functional air conditioning for about 30 minutes before they turned the ac on. The cabin took another 30 minutes to cool down. Everyone in the cabin was sweating, complaining, babies were crying. Zero stars. Pick another airline.
RouteDallas to Louisville

"dissatisfied with AA"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | On October 15, 2021, I attempted to return to Thailand via American Airlines (AA) and Japan Airlines (JAL) connecting flights. I was cleared to board by AA and only upon arrival in Japan that JAL personnel forced me to return to America because I needed COVID clearance from the Thai government. I had to spend an additional 15 days in the US. I formally submitted my complaint to AA customer services and the end is hardly in sight. I am neither the first or last customer to be dissatisfied with AA.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownOctober 2021

"I’ve been very disappointed"

Trip Verified | I usually fly DELTA, but decided to try American Airlines for a couple company trips to Dallas in Sept 2022. I’ve been very disappointed. There was a 4-hour delay on my flight out of BWI to DFW. I needed to return home early for a family matter, so I spent the afternoon before my return flight looking for an earlier flight. They had a couple, but the up charges were $500+ and $900+. There were several other (non direct) flights that would get me as close as DC in time, but they wanted $250 for those. I was also told that I could not get a refund if I were to find a flight with another airline, so I decided to just stick with my original American reservation. I wasn’t able to check in online for some reason—the counter person told me that it was a computer glitch. They had trouble checking me in—a person in training tried initially and got confused. A second employee tried and was also confused. A third employee at the counter made some calls and finally got it worked out. They also told me at that time that my flight back to BWI was delayed an hour and a half. It may be rare, but I’ve never experienced a delay… until now…a 4 hour delay going to Dallas, and an hour and a half delay returning. Delayed coming and going! Wow. I feel like they didn’t make any effort to help me at any stage of my trip. I felt very unimportant to American Airlines. I think I will avoid flying with them in the future. I was extremely disappointed with my experience. Oh, and they also changed the gate at the last minute from B6 to D34. Anyone who knows DFW knows that it’s not easy to get from terminal B to terminal D.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Baltimore
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Worst company only cheap excuses"

Trip Verified | Came at 1:30pm for my flight at 4pm from Miami to Houston. Now they delayed 5 hours. Claiming was weather and lying! When I came at 1:30pm was ok an plane was already delayed. Worst company only cheap excuses!
RouteMiami to Houston
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"lost all confidence in this airline"

Trip Verified | I often travel out the country for business 1 to 3 times a month. Once upon a time American was my preferred airline of choice due to its dependable work ethics but this past 12 months I have lost all confidence in this airline and its ability to deliver good customer service. 3 out of 5 last flights have been canceled due to maintenance or staffing. To me thier excuses have been unacceptable. I try to be a loyal returning customer but these ongoing inconveniences has taken away my piece of mind with traveling with American airlines. I suggest that the higher ups find a new management team that has the ability to make this airline dependable and trustworthy once again before its too late to recover. The best excuse is no excuse. Please get your priorities together and fix all your short coming that can be avoided like maintenance issues that should have been corrected before you are set to take off and your rude customer service practices. I spend too much money with this airline to continually get my travel plans ruined over and over again
RouteBaltimore to Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"need to be removed from the oneworld"

Trip Verified | I flew Medellin to Miami, had to check my bag in Miami because I bought something at the shops after customs. When I got to Miami ground crew verified My routing. So I went to the gate and they were delayed Incoming flight and had a mechanical issue. I then missed my connecting flight and had to argue with the lady about putting me on Alaska airlines. The lady said she wrote the baggage crew a message saying to reroute my bag but that didn’t happen. When I left Miami thinking my bag was going with me. Found out at my final destination that my bag went from Miami to Minneapolis. And the only thing they compensated for was a 100 dollars travel credit. They need to be removed from the oneworld alliance if that is how they treat there emerald status passengers. Pretty pathetic but I guess we get what we paid for.
RouteMedellin to Anchorage via Miami