American Airlines

"No help from customer service"

Trip Verified | No help from customer service whatsoever. We were on time for our flight despite weather delays from our connection. The doors closed and boarding stopped 15 min prior to departure (normal). We were sitting at the gate directly next to our flight, with no last minute calls or any announcements about boarding ending. Obviously begged to be let onto the flight, which then got delayed and we watched our airplane sit there for 30 minutes not being allowed to board. They booked us on a non direct flight for the following day and did not provide accommodations for the night. Says “because of weather” we cannot provide accommodations.
RouteSanto Domingo to Las Vegas via Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"They are cheaper for a reason"

Not Verified | Charleston to Salt Lake City. VERY DISAPPOINTED, I booked a two way trip through American and not only was I delayed over 4 hours on the first trip but 2 weeks later I got delayed an entire day. I called customer service and they said they couldn’t reimburse me. I got denied twice over the phone for reimbursement. On the website. And I quote “if we or our airline partner fails to operate or delays your arrival more than 4 hours, our sole obligation is to refund the remaining ticket value.” Do not fly with American Airlines. They are cheaper for a reason.
RouteCharleston to Salt Lake City

"It was terrible"

Trip Verified | It was terrible. My flight was canceled. No announcement about flight cancellations. Customer service was very rude. I called American Airlines customer service. Flight was rescheduled. I was promised that my suitcase will follow me. Never happened Now, in the middle of the night, after terrible flight with a lot of waiting time, I am sitting in the airport and waiting for my suitcase to come with another flight because they will deliver my stuff in 24-48 hours
RouteCharlotte to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"This was an extremely kind act"

Not Verified | I left LGA this morning (9-12-22) on flight AA2127 going to DCA & then on to PNS on flight AA1488. There was not much time for a connection at DCA with the initial flight from LGA delayed. However, the folks at DCA held the continuing flight to PNS. Minor inconveniences were sure to surface from those already loaded on the PNS flight. It was ready to roll with people on board, but American did the right thing and held the PNS flight for about a dozen of us (unrelated people). I just wanted to say thanks! This was an extremely kind act for all affected.
RouteLa Guardia to Pensacola via Washington
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"customer service is nonexistent"

Trip Verified | I was flying for work to a conference from Michigan to Pennsylvania. At my first flight of the day from Michigan to Chicago we were alerted that not all luggage was capable of fitting under the plane however the staff assured us that we would have our luggage at the end destination. After a 10 hour layover in Chicago I flew to Harrisburg Pennsylvania. My luggage containing all my work materials for the conference never showed up and was still in Michigan. The employee working baggage claim was indignant and overall rude. While working with me to get my information for me to file a missing bag report she stopped four times to start and finish other peoples’ requests after which she blamed me for not checking up on my luggage in Chicago as if I had any control over that. Following my dismissal from my conference for being unable to participate in my capacity the airline has still yet to send my luggage from Michigan. When I call to check on it I get the same indignant worker and there is no public ally available number to call in order to speak to someone about my issue. I would warn every customer who would check a bag with American against them. Their entire customer service is nonexistent and their employees are lackluster at best.
RouteLansing to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"I will never use them again"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever. Started our trip on September 1 to a cancelled flight due to weather despite all other airlines flying into the same location. They rebooked us for the following day at 10 pm which would cause us to miss our connection in Lima to Cusco and cause a domino effect of missed booked tours etc, not to mention paid for hotels we didn't use and couldn't get reimbursed for. Eventually they did rebook our original flight on Alaska airlines which flew into Dallas on time. Our connection to Lima, however, was delayed. When we finally boarded, we sat on the aircraft for 1.5 hours waiting for a copilot to show before the flight was pushed back 3 hours due to a curfew in Lima. We had to get off the plane and wait only to find out an hour later the flight was delayed until the following morning. There was a 200 person line at the customer service desk with 2 people working so we didn't even bother to try for a hotel or food voucher. The next morning flight got delayed an additional hour, but we finally made it to Lima. Our trip has now ended and we were supposed to be on a morning flight September 11 at 0800 to Dallas, but the flight was delayed 5 times inside of 15 minutes and eventually rescheduled 24 hours after the inital departure time this time due to mechanical issues. The story we got was the issue couldn't be fixed and they were bringing another plane in. Someone else we spoke to said there was a part they couldn't get and didn't know when it would arrive so who knows what the real answer is. No one on the phone for customer service could help us. We were on the phone for 1.5 hours and the best they could offer was a 30 hour travel time with 2 layovers in the opposite direction of where we needed to go only to arrive at the same time as we would if we waited until the next day (today). Just as we were about to leave for the airport this morning 5 texts came in stating the flight was delayed multiple different times. We called customer service who reassured us the flight was still happening and only delayed 20 mins. We got to the airport today and waited in line for 3 hours before receiving a text saying the flight had been canceled, but another scheduled flight to Dallas left on time. Staff directing people to the counter lines refused to give any information and were dismissive of people's concerns. When we got to the ticket counter, we were told all other flight options were already booked and the best they could do was give us a flight on a different carrier at 0100 tomorrow (40 hours after our originally scheduled flight) with an additional 8 hour layover at LAX. They finally booked us with a different carrier and hopefully we will make it home 2 days late. They told us before they weren't obligated to rebook us with any other carrier if the delay was 24 hours or less and that they don't have any other partner airlines they can book with, yet miraculously after the 24 hour mark they can and do book us with someone else. Half of our trip time has been spent traveling and we have lost wages at work, cost of extra hotels, and food. We had a family member with a medical emergency at the end of our trip and were unable to make it home in time before they passed away. Overall, the numerous excuses, delays, lack of willingness to accommodate customers, and inability to resolve issues in a timely manner make American Airlines one of the worst companies I've traveled with. I will never use them again.
RouteLima to Seattle via Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"flight attendants were the best"

Not Verified | Our flight attendants were the best ever. We were traveling with two kids and they were so so helpful. One of them a name was Gabrielle and she came and offered to hold my baby and then wrote my three year old a note and gave her chocolate. I will fly again with American just because their staff is so nice
RouteDallas to Bozeman
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"communication was awful on the ground"

Not Verified | Wichita to Indianapolis via Dallas. Airline communication was awful on the ground. They needed more staff to help handle everything properly. After flight got delayed several times resulting in a total of over 5 and a half hours, the crew moved everyone to a different gate that was about half a mile away and told everyone to wait for more info at 11:30 pm on a flight that was supposed to leave at 6:00 pm. After finally getting off the ground at 12:15 am, turbulence prevented drink service for half of the plane the rest of the 2+ hour flight. Plane seating was surprisingly cramped where I could not straighten my legs out, which is unfortunate because I was hoping I could at least get some rest on the plane. Most of the crew was actually friendly, which is sad because the overall situation seems to be a recurring symptom of a company that does not care about their workers or customers. It would have actually been two hours faster to drive from Wichita to Indianapolis.
RouteWichita to Indianapolis via Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"the best flight attendant"

Trip Verified | Courtney was the best flight attendant I have ever had. Very courteous, friendly and you could tell loved her job. She made sure you had a great flight
AircraftBoing
RouteOrlando to Norfolk
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"I felt undervalued as a consumer"

Not Verified | I booked my seat for these flights 5 months in advance. I was told I was being moved to coach for the long flight between Philadelphia and Seattle minutes before the flight was due to board. I was told I would not have my money returned to me and instead be provided with a voucher for future travel, which I don't need and wouldn't use. The reason provided was that the computer randomly selects four passengers to reseat in order to comply with weight distribution requirements. Upon further investigation, I discovered this was a lie and the airline had overbooked the aircraft. Although ultimately I did have my seat remain in first class, I was surrounded by people who had booked their first class seats within days of the flight. If the weight really needed to be leveled out in the plane, why weren't passengers being asked to move who had booked their travel more recently? I had booked these seats for medical reasons and as I explained that to the manager on duty at the gate in Philadelphia, it didn't seem to matter. The airline also charged me for first class for my flight from Albany to Philadelphia while I was stuffed into a regular seat at the front of the small plane that didn't differ from any of the other seats. Food is also not provided for short flights even though I was in first class. The flight from Philadelphia to Seattle was grounded for 2.5 hours before take off due to a sensor issue with the lavatory sensor. No compensation was offered to the passengers of the plane for this major inconvenience. On my return trip I had a layover at Chicago International and my connection flight got moved to the opposite side of the Airport at the last minute and my wheel chair assistance was late and I almost missed my connection flight back to Albany. Overall, I felt undervalued as a consumer of American Airlines. I do not feel they give proper treatment to passengers with disabilities.
Seat TypeFirst Class