Vietnam Airlines

"disappointed for me"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi, and disappointed for me due to following reasons. The airplane was an older model compared with other A321 jets of Vietnam Airlines fleet. The flight attendants had trouble with entertainment system so that they tried to close and open many times. Moreover, the food trolley had a problem in wheel which takes more time for the flight attendant to provide food for customers. In the past, I used to flight on this route which was usually operated by the good airplanes. Thus, this time was the worst flight in this route for me. I hope Vietnam Airlines could improve the quality not only for international routes but also domestic routes in near future.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Hanoi
Date FlownAugust 2017

"the worst Premium Economy cabin/seat"

Verified Review | Vietnam Airlines from Ho Chi Minh City to Aberdeen via Paris. Definitely the worst Premium Economy cabin/seat I have ever flown in/on. The only difference between economy and premium is you get a pre-flight juice and steel cutlery - the menu is the same as economy and there was no written menu supplied - the seats are 3-3-3 and the leg room is a few centimetres more than economy. No noise reducing headsets. Overall a very disappointing experience compared to Qantas or Air New Zealand, even BA do a better premium economy! Not worth the extra payment.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Aberdeen via Paris
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Fortunately, I was seated near the windows"

(Japan)

Verified Review | The flight between Ho Chi Minh City and Phu Quoc island takes around 40 minutes so that they do not serve food on the flight. Every customer was provided with a small bottle of water and a piece of wet tissue. Moreover, there was no entertainment during the flight. Fortunately, I was seated near the windows and could see the sights below. The flight went through Mekong delta which consists of the long rivers and the large rice fields.
RouteHo Chi Minh City and Phu Quoc
Date FlownAugust 2017

"width of seat is narrow"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo Narita to Ho Chi Minh City. The delayed time was around 30 minutes. This flight was operated by a narrow body jet (A321). Hence, the width of seat is somehow narrow for me. Moreover, it takes a large amount of time for boarding since the flight attendants did not work well to reduce the boarding time. There are only Western style and Japanese style food for choosing. However, the beverages are various with both soft drink and alcohol beverages. For inflight entertainment, there was no inflight entertainment which was only appropriate for sleeping.
RouteTokyo to Ho Chi Minh City

"I hope to fly again"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Tokyo Narita. This was the first flight with Boeing 787. It was a good experience during the flight. Since the weather was quite bad, the airplane sometimes lagged slightly. I could sleep around 3 hours. The airplane used changeable windows which could change the color of windows for reducing the light from sun. Most of customers slept during the flight. Moreover, the entertainment system were very good with several choices from game to music or films. I hope to fly again.
AircraftB787
RouteHanoi to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownAugust 2017

"will fly Vietnam Airlines again"

Verified Review | Melbourne to London via Ho Chi Minh City. I recently chose to fly with Vietnam Airlines rather than Singapore Airlines with whom I travel twice a year to London. Their Boeing 787 and 1-2-1 business seats are very good, whilst not as spacious as SQ's they are 'lie flat', comfortable and on all legs I managed to sleep. The service has improved greatly since I last flew with VN. The cabin staff were friendly and willing. In general their English was not to the level of the SQ staff but by pointing to what you required from the menu communication was no problem. On all 4 legs the main courses chosen were disappointing and most were left unfinished. The wines on offer were of good quality however. Upon take-off you are asked for your menu choice including accompany drinks. If you don't make a point then your first drink will come together with your starter. They should ask prior to take off whether you would like a drink after take off. I will fly Vietnam Airlines again as the ticket price is well below that of SQ, especially if for holiday rather than business. On both legs I stopped over in HCMC, a city I know well. the only comment on flight times would be that the SGN-LHR flies at 1 am. A couple of hours earlier would be preferable as by the time you take off you are very tired.
RouteMelbourne to London via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"convinced never to fly with them again"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | The international part of our flight with Vietnam Airlines went very smoothly from Incheon to Ho Chi Minh City. The domestic portion to Nha Trang was complicated. 5 schedule changes since I bought my ticket. Just arrived to take my flight and told at the counter the flight was rescheduled again and told to come back later for check in. I'm actually fine with the time change, but the attitude of the check in agent has convinced me never to fly with them again. Her body language and tone made it clear it was my fault for showing up early and walked away when I asked a question on the new time for the flight. Have since asked 2 other airline employees for the new time and have been told 2 different answers. Flight not showing on the board and we are waiting.
AircraftA350 / A320
RouteIncheon to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"tortured with long delays"

(Turkey)

Verified Review | Da nang to Hanoi. They send an e mail that they changed the time 3 hours later just before I was leaving for the flight. I tried to get contact to change it but no lines were available and you have noone to talk about it and even after that they had another 1 hour delay with the new departure time. We still have no one to complain about it. In the end we arrived around 2 am instead of 10pm . I don't recommend this airline at all to anyone unless you like to be tortured with long delays.
RouteDa nang to Hanoi

"very primitive airline"

Verified Review | Basic no frills business class tickets from London to Hanoi with Vietnam Airlines. Seating was comfortable but service lacking. Staff were polite but hidden from view after meal service. I gather there was a technical hitch with catering so it was frozen smoked salmon and basic canteen fayre no special culinary delights. On the return it was a single prawn with a few salad leaves for starters and limited choice. My main complaint was that you can't check in without flash player, which is very inconvenient when using iPad and due to a change in travel arrangements, we could not check the prices or availability of new tickets until after cancelling original return flights and waiting 4 days to find out about the new ticketing and price differences. After that we were unable to select seating and advised to wait till check in. Of course the booking reference was not recognised and so seat selection was deferred to check in at the desk. The main concern was that on the way out the 3 of us were allocated seats without any rhyme or reason. There is no opportunity to select any special meals seating or even rewards for a flying club. After changing tickets there was a concern the new booking would not be recognised. Inflight movies were dominated by Vietnamese movies 1950-60s 'classics'. Overall a very limited choice. Overall a very primitive airline - although competitively priced, however needless to say we won't be travelling with them again. Stick to EVA Air, Virgin, Singapore, Emirates, KLM and maybe Air France if no strikes.
RouteLondon to Hanoi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"flight attendants are hospitable and friendly"

Verified Review | A decent flight with Vietnam Airlines flying from Ho Chi Minh City to Tokyo Narita. It was delayed for only 15 minutes, which was not too irritating. The flight attendants are hospitable and friendly. They supplied me a blanket when I asked for it. The food was very good and easy-to-eat. The leg room was somehow small for tall people like me. Basically, I enjoyed this flight.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Tokyo Narita