Vietnam Airlines

"not recommend Vietnam Airlines"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Min City in business class. Arrived HCM to clear customs and transfer to Nha Trang on domestic flight at 12.15pm, told flight was full and after some exhausting discussions told we could go on flight around 3.20pm, which would have meant a stopover of over 6 hours. Was told could go on original flight at 12.25pm but in economy and we would have to pay for excess baggage. However after further discussions we were placed on the 12.25 with no excess as we had been travelling since 5am that morning and had Transport to hotel pre-booked. Told to go to Vietnam Airline office in Nha trang to Confirm return Flights only to be told there was nothing they could do. Eventually got confirmation of flight email and went to check in on line but this is not possible for Flight from Nha Trang, Staff are not interested in addressing your issues or problems. Looking forward to return flights with trepidation. Will not not recommend Vietnam Airlines.
RouteHong Kong to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Min
Date FlownJuly 2017

"quite shocked at their behaviour"

Verified Review | Flew Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok. Ground staff at check in were rude and totally disinterested (SGN). Flight attendants on previous Vietnam Airlines flights (domestic) appeared disinterested, lazy and unkept. Out of all Asian airlines I have flown (Korean, Japan, Thai and Bangkok Air - all have been experiences) this airline is the worst and I was quite shocked at their behaviour. I will definitely never fly with them again although they have good priced fares.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2017

"they said that we were late"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh to Cam Ranh. We checked-in online and printed our tickets the night before, arrived at the airport at 5.00 am to catch the flight where boarding was to start at 05.25am. We queued at security for quite long. Once we reached the security officer, he advised that Vietnam Airlines have changed some seating for online check in, therefore he could not find us in the system and sent us back to Vietnam Airlines counter to reprint the ticket. We ran to the counter and get our tickets reprinted, then headed back to security. We went to Departure gate where they said that we were late and could not let us in. Coming back to the courter to change ticket, we were told that they could not ensure the time of our flight and we might wait until 2.30pm that day. I think Vietnam Airlines should train their staff better to deal with these kind of situations in a better manner.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Cam Ranh
Date FlownJune 2017

"pleasant and comfortable flight"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | It was a pleasant and comfortable flight depart from Kuala Lumpur to Seoul via Ho Chi Minh. Attentive and efficient flight crew, good quality of meals with added some local delight and the latest A350 aircraft. I like their color theme of the seat. The aircraft was fascinating with larger screen and more leg room. The content selection was decent and more than enough throughout the flight. I was also on their A321 during my KUL to SGN. Although the aircraft looks bit old but well maintained and comfortable. They used three different language during flight announcement and it was not clear and blur. This was my first time fly with and I'm quite impressed with their product and services provided with that competitive price.
AircraftA350-900
RouteKuala Lumpur to Seoul via Ho Chi Minh

"reliability and punctuality"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled with my son HUI-SGN and back on 19th May and 16th June 2017. A321. Both legs on time, check in extremely fast - even with lots of luggage. Generous with hand-luggage as well as inscribed luggage. Second flight accommodated a lot of extra luggage which was well handled and reasonably priced from Saigon. I easily postponed the first departure time by four days as something had incurred forcing me to change. Despite the ticket was cheap the change was done quickly and punishment fees not too bad. Eventless flights, but reliability and punctuality count heavily for using this airline. In contrast all the competing LCCs seem to have problems making their schedules.
RouteHUI to HUI via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownJune 2017

"punctuality, reliability, and decency"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | This is a review of a flight never flown, scheduled for today, 11 May 2017. I was positively surprised over excellent ground service: I bought a cheap "early bird" ticket Ho Chi Minh City to Danang for approx. 37 USD. 3 weeks prior to departure they rescheduled and preponed the departure from 8 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and informed me by email with a re-issued ticket attached. Since I was to arrive at the international terminal in Saigon with a tight connection time of 1½ hour, I immediately realised that I could hardly pass immigration, change terminal, retrieve luggage, and check in domestic within an hour. Thus, I preferred to go with another carrier. I explained them this on email. Despite it was a cheap, non-refundable ticket they understood and refunded me instantly the whole fare without further arguments. That is a proof of a legacy carrier, well done and thank you VN. Vietnam Airlines is eventually cheaper than the LCCs they are competing with due to punctuality, reliability, and decency.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Danang
Date FlownMay 2017

"there was no vegetarian food"

Verified Review | Singapore to Tokyo via Ho chi minh City. The flight was good but there was no vegetarian food or easy way to add in your reservation. Flight served beverage was awful, I had some wine which was bitter and bad taste. Airlines should have veg meals or an easier way to add via email or online. I am unhappy with international flight and service. Hope it will improve in future.
RouteSingapore to Tokyo via Ho chi minh City
Date FlownMay 2017

"there were no frills"

Verified Review | Danang to Ho Chi Minh City. A very slow check in that for some reason took four staff members. There was a VIP queue so security was efficient. The lounge is tragic at Danang with none of the food looking edible, we spent the time looking at the shops instead after having a water (there are no glasses provided either). Went to the gate when the flight was called business class boarded last so about 15 minutes before you could board after all the economy passengers were on board. Not enough catering so no food for me, I slept for the hour long flight. Crew were nice enough with the title interaction I had and the flight arrived on time but in general this looked like an airline that had made a lot of cuts, there were no frills and it was below the standard of most domestic economy products. Bags off quite quickly but all you could say was that they got you to your destination.
RouteDanang to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownApril 2017

"I think it was a great flight"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Sydney on a Boeing 787. I chose Vietnam airlines because it is a direct flight to Sydney and its quite cheap. On the way to to Sydney I flew with economy class. The food on-board was great. The in-flight entertainment was quite poor but it has some great movies. The way back was better because it was a premium economy so I can get more 10kg of luggage (40kg total) so I can carry all my shopping things without any extra fees. The seat in premium economy has plenty of legroom with bigger seat so you can rest easily. The food is no different to the normal economy. In total I think it was a great flight, I will travel with Vietnam Airlines again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHanoi to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2017

"a very positive experience"

Verified Review | Singapore to London via Hanoi. My experience with this airline has been really positive, I found an incredibly cheap flight to London so I could visit my family for Christmas. My ticket cost me around £500 return (normally flights are double that or triple around the holidays!) The one drawback was that I had a six hour layover in Hanoi. My flight from Singapore was nice, we were served a light meal and coffee, a little turbulence, the staff were smiley and attentive. My one criticism is the landing was a bit harsh on all four flights and I don't like holding onto the plane for support. When I got to Hanoi I wasn't sure what to expect but I quickly discovered there was a first class lounge which I could use for $50 US I was happy with that for six hours and paid using my credit card. I had a lovely hot shower with towels and toiletries, it made the next flight so lovely and pleasant. I spent the rest of my time in the lounge watching a couple of movies on my laptop. There was a hot food buffet and even an open bar where I helped myself to a nice glass of brandy. By the time we boarded I was completely exhausted, it was 1am and I was ready to sleep. I was delighted to discover I had three whole seats to myself! I slept for 11 hours and woke up just in time for breakfast and a quick movie before touchdown, Christmas with my family and no jetlag! I also liked the fact that Vietnam Airlines lands in Heathrow Terminal four which is one of the least busy airports so passport control was short although I loved standing in line with a bunch of grumpy Brits, it really felt like home! On the way back we got stuck on the runway for about an hour but that was mostly down to Heathrow being busy, there was a technical problem they needed to fix and once everything was safe and in working order they had missed their 'window' to take off and had to wait for another. This time the flight was to Ho Chi Minh and the inflight entertainment was a bit rubbish but I watched a few movies and ate a nice dinner. The layover was short, only one hour and then a smooth, short flight to Singapore (apart from the harsh landing, ouch!) Overall a very positive experience, but I think given all the negative reviews I might have just gotten very very lucky!
RouteSingapore to London via Hanoi