Vietnam Airlines

"not great value for business"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh city to Siem Reap. What a waste going business. You get a dedicated line, more baggage allowance and lounge pass plus express through security. However you board the same bus as economy and board together, and the bus trip was way past domestic, across active runways to a back parking lot for planes. You get a drink in a glass. That’s it, not great value for business and not worth it. Fortunately it’s just a short flight.
RouteHo Chi Minh city to Siem Reap
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Cabin staff were excellent"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Sydney. Fantastic for price. Cabin staff were excellent, prompt and willing. Any request was dealt with within a minute or two. Made more difficult for the cabin crew as we were travelling with 5 children who were always wanting soft drinks etc. Champagne prior to takeoff as standard, as much as you like. Food and beverage plentiful and tasty, wine refilled during meal numerous times, decent range on menu too. Seat comfortable but not the best for sleeping (I'm 6'3"). IFE limited so I took MacBook and watched own movies etc. Special thanks to cabin crew as they were the best of all 4 sectors of our holiday (Sydney to Paris return). This flight was well worth it.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"forgot to introduce the name"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Hanoi. System showing Boeing 787, fly with A350, seat space seemed smaller to me. Service onboard unfriendly, they forgot to introduce the name, they do not except to hear passenger complain about the food. Toilet dirty when I used it.
RouteFrankfurt to Hanoi
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I was positively surprised"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | Flew Vietnam Airlines from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang. I was positively surprised. Fast boarding, great service, high quality of the aircraft. The flight ticket was very cheap and affordable with free water and check-in baggage.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Da Nang
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"They rarely make contact"

Trip Verified | London to Hanoi. Vietnam Airlines lost my bag which was not a big deal but the handling of its recovery was the worst service I have ever received. They lost my bag on 5th January then found my bag 10 days later, then couldn’t find it again, then it was being sent to Vietnam, then I was told I would be compensated fully if 21 days passed as the bag would be declared lost, finally after hours (no exaggeration) of trying to get service they acted and got me my bag after 16 days. $30 is the height of monetary compensation which barely covers phone credit in the many attempts at trying to get through to their lost and found never mind clothes, a new luggage bag etc. They rarely make contact and are impossible to get in contact with. They did not make contact after I logged my claim at 5am on the 5th January or 6th January and I had to call them on the 7th. When my bag was “found” in London I made contact 3 days later wondering where it was only to be told they did not know and it could be in Dublin.
RouteLondon to Hanoi
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"caring, punctual, and economical"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Went 10th January 2018, HUI-SGN on their A321. Perfect travel. They had changed the ticket for me few days before swiftly and at very low costs. Furthermore, I purchased online 10 kg extra, so I could travel with 34 kg. Check-in in Phu Bai took only the usual 1 minute. As I had a tight, international connection in SGN (with other alliance and on other ticket), they granted me Express Luggage tags to make it easier to reach the International Terminal in SGN quickly. Given the best seat onboard even without mentioning it to the (seat 18C). Flight left 10 Minutes early and arrived 20 Minutes early. Airbridge in Saigon. Luggage out (2 bags) within 3 Minutes. On-board: chatted a bit with air-hostesses, they were very kind, though more curious than informative. Brought along coffee-sachets and they then provided me hot instant coffee, while they otherwise only offer water and wet tissues. Very effective, good atmosphere, caring, punctual, and economical. I have recently lost all interest to the LCC competitors on this route. Drawback is, that the business sector has been reduced from 16, then 12, and now only 8 seats squeezed in upfront (in a 2 x 2 config), which makes business travel ridiculous.
RouteHue to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"not recommend the airline"

Trip Verified | Hanoi to Shanghai in Business (B787).Sky Priority checkin with no wait (numerous dedicated counters),Sky Priority immigration and security line. Great meal considering duration of flight with choice between 3 main courses. Welcome drink including sparkling wine (not of the best quality though). Good seats (fishbone style sleeper seats). Offered a blanket (not available at every seat). Large screen entertainment. Boarded Business, Sky Priority and coach all together though it was not as disruptive as previous time thanks to dual jet bridge. No pillow. Limited drink selection (only 1 red wine). Availability of in-flight entertainment starts fairly late into climb and limited movie choices. Power outlet not active until higher altitude reached (USB power works all the time). With the larger plane comes enhanced experience. Past 4 flights on A321 were average at best but this trip provided a better experience. I would not recommend the airline.
RouteHanoi to Shanghai

"The trips were fine"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh Cty to Hue return over X-mas 2017. Booked 5 months in advance as there were some extremely cheap “super deals” around X-mas 2017 for around 25 USD per person 1-way. 3½ months prior to departure they informed me on slight changes of schedules and suggested me a reschedule 2 hours earlier. Instead, I asked them to postpone my flight till next day as to better match my connecting flight from SGN. They did that promptly and free of charge - including for my son. These tickets stood at a much higher price, but they gave us two seats without any question and I got a perfect connection time and thus avoided a stay-over in Saigon and still paid only 50 USD for the original two tickets. Well done, top notch ground service. The trips were fine, a slight delay was clearly announced and was caught up with as the scheduled time is set very amble allowing for hiding delays. Eventless trip. Generous luggage allowance but needed to purchase extra luggage in advance, which went smoothly. Check in took 1-2 minutes in both airports, extremely well done. Coffee on board gladly provided after given FAs instant coffee bags to add hot water into mugs provided by the airline. Seated with my son without having to ask for it.
RouteHo Chi Minh Cty to Hue
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Food and beverages were enough"

(China)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Min City to Shanghai, the short-distance fleet has not been changed yet that consists of only A321. Business class could be separated from economy class boarding by different buses. There are 12 seats in business class of A321. When I went to toilet, I had to wake the man next to me up due to the small space of leg. There are no PTVs all the cabin, so it is boring for a 4 hours flight. Food and beverages were enough abundant for a short flight. There were wash supplies in the business class toilet.
RouteHo Chi Min City to Shanghai

"no online check in"

Trip Verified | Dalat to Danang. Even though Da Lat airport is small, there is Sky Priority checkin and Sky Priority security line. There is no online check in on flights from Da Lat and they announced check in closure 45 min before flight. Boarding was a zoo and Sky Priority not respected. We could not select our seats again but got luckier this time (Row 11 instead of 33).Service limited to a bottle of water and wet towels. The seats are really hard. Limited English spoken by some crew members. Entertainment limited to central screen playing prank videos but no port to connect headsets. VN offers very inconsistent level of services.
RouteDalat to Danang