Vietnam Airlines

"what kind of standard is this"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Nha Trang Cam Ranh. I'm a Gold member of the VA LotusMiles program. Today, sitting in Noi Bai Domestic's Lotus Lounge, I wonder to myself why I fly on VN Airlines? No clear direction or signage where to check in to which destination. Ground staff hopeless and unfriendly. I travelled with some staff of my company. Where is the group check in?! The ground staff told me it is up to me where i want to check in. I said here and she said no. If a Gold member is being talked to in such a manner, i can only imagine the way foreign passengers are treated and even worse, local passengers are treated. I've so many trips in the south via Cam Ranh and Saigon, their people are so much more excellent. Lounge - what kind of standard is this. 3 staff at the front desk and I am not even greeted. Why is it that in Saigon I am greeted but not here? And why is the lounge so badly stocked? Nothing to eat except some fruits?
RouteHanoi to Nha Trang Cam Ranh
Date FlownOctober 2017

"a value for money airline"

Verified Review | Singapore to Hanoi. Small airplane 3x3 layout. No IFE. Overall the service is acceptable. However, the carbon crew English is very limited. The attitude is fine. When they offer drinks and food, the English expression is not very polite especially male crew. The food is delicious. This is the strongest point of Vietnam Airlines. They even provide wine glass not plastic cup. The aircraft is clean including washroom. The on-line check in is not friendly and their website should be improved. It is a value for money airline. I agree with Skytrax 4 star rating.
RouteSingapore to Hanoi

"they are very reliable"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Saigon to Hue 30 September 2017 on an A321. Faultless. Quick check-in. Service by FAs onboard is fine and they are very attentive. However, the food served onboard is poor as these cold “Western Sandwiches” bites are dry and appalling. It is an anti-climax upon their dining preparations which include table cloths, steel cutlery, and supplements. Drinks (inc. 3 sorts of beers), newspapers and towels provided. Flight on time. Priority security for bz-class passengers saved me 20 Minutes. Was charged 5kg for 8kg overweight, but the fee was only 2 USD/kg. The new SASCO lounge in Saigon is nice and well equipped but the food is so-so. Things are in order with VN, the best is that they are very reliable and even discounted tickets are changeable.
RouteSaigon to Hue

"experience was good"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Saigon to Vientiane via Phnom Penh. The flight to Phnom Penh was really short but they managed to distribute refreshing towels and a bottled water to each passenger. The air stewardess was really friendly compared to another air steward who sighed frequently during the flight. From Phnom Penh to Vientiane, refreshment was served. Overall, the experience was good.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Vientiane via Phnom Penh
Date FlownOctober 2017

"crew leaves much to be desired"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Ho CHi Minh City on the B787-900. The seats and food were okay. IFE is really limited. This is also something to be improved. Service wise, the crew was okay. However, one of the crew asked the passenger in the last row near the galley to move to another seat so she can put her bag luggage on the seat. The crew chatted and laughed really loudly in the kitchen and this could be heard in the aisle. One of the crew shouted suddenly out of frustration and a few passengers were shocked. During landing, one of the crew was on her mobile phone and tapping away. Vietnam Airlines is definitely improving but I think the level of professionalism of the crew leaves much to be desired.
RouteTokyo to Ho Chi Minh City

"completely disgusting"

Verified Review | Booked a flight from Melbourne to Nha Trang, including a 3 hour stopover in Ho Chi Minh City for my wife and I through VN airlines. They change my flight schedule on 2 occasions shortly after purchasing my ticket, the second flight change reducing my stopover time to only 1 hour, and also including an email from VN Airlines ask me to change to a 5am flight the next morning with an offer to pay for 1 night accommodation in Ho Chi Minh City, which I declined as I have already booked accommodation at my destination (5-star resort at $350/night). I am also very concerned as I am transferring from an international flight to a domestic flight which requires me to clear customs, collect my bags and then check in again. VN Airlines leave my schedule as is and advise that they will have staff on arrival to assist with my transfer. When I arrive VN airlines take almost 1 hour just to unload our luggage - The staff member on the ground who was supposed to assist is glued to her phone texting the entire time. Once we have our bags she leads us to the domestic terminal, tells us we've missed our flight, shrugs our shoulders and then walks off, forcing us to stay 1 night at an old, run-down hotel (couldn't even sleep due to the obscenely loud noises coming from the pipes in the walls) and forfeit the 1st night's accommodation at our destination. I've attempted to contact their customer service line for compensation for weeks now, as well as included all my supporting documentation (emails, boarding passes etc.). Each time I do their response is always words to the effect of "someone will get back to you", and then I never heard back. Completely disgusting.
RouteMelbourne to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"improvement has been implemented"

Verified Review | Sydney to Incheon return via Hanoi. Boeing 787 was pretty well maintained. My family engaged in a conversation with one of the Flight Attendants. Boarding was fairly quick but HAN to SYD had some issues. Staff on SYD-HAN seemed a little boring and smiles were rare. Food was disgusting except for my ICN-HAN flight. My seat was pretty comfortable but the legroom is smaller than expected. No WiFi on the A350 and B787 were a huge disappointment but IFE was pretty great. Compared to their previous product 5 years ago, an immense improvement has been implemented. Around $750AUD for the 4 flights was an amazing price.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / A350/321
RouteSydney to Incheon via Hanoi
Date FlownJune 2017

"dirty and badly maintained"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Paris CDG to Hanoi with Optiontown upgrade. Having had great experiences flying domestically with Vietnam airlines, and keen to try out the newish A350, we decided to use Vietnam Airlines for an international trip. When we bought our economy class tickets we visited the Optiontown website and paid NZ$259 each (USD160) for the chance to get upgraded to premium economy - and it worked! Standing in the check in queue I had given up hope but made one last check of my emails - and there was the good news. If we hadn't been upgraded our money would have been refunded. The great news was that we could use the priority security clearance queue - and the queue at CDG makes LA look easy. I reckon that it would have taken more than two hours just to clear security. The bad news was that we weren't entitled to use the business class lounge. Sure we had priority boarding - but who wants to sit on a plane any longer than they have to? And my suspicion that the hosties would not be greeting us with a glass of champagne (or even sparkling wine) turned out to be correct. The three things that stood out for me were the low quality of the Premium Economy experience, weird meal times and how dirty and badly maintained the seat was. The flight departed CDG at 2pm and they gave us dinner almost straight away. We then had to wait about nine hours for breakfast. They did offer us a filled roll sometime during the night. The meals were entirely forgettable and certainly no more than economy class standard. They were also very, very stingy with the drinks. The armrests of both our seats had accumulated dirt build-up - if you scraped it with your fingernail the layers of filth would come away (see photo). I have sat in similar premium economy seats so I know how the footrest works - or rather doesn't in this case. I noticed other people were having problems too. On the upside the seats had adjustable neckrests. Would I fly Vietnam Airlines again? Domestic flights absolutely - international is only a maybe.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteParis CDG to Hanoi
Date FlownJune 2017

"everything was well organised"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled HUI-SGN on 1st July and back SGN-HUI 1 September 2017. A321. Everything went smoothly. It took less than 1 minute to check-in from Hue despite having a bit of overweight baggage. In Saigon maybe 10 minutes queue as I have no elite privileges. Departed on time and arrived before time, VN are virtually always punctual. Onboard, comedy entertainment showed on ceiling screens are a nuisance to me. I brought instant coffee sachets with me and was then given hot coffee twice (they provide hot water and paper mugs upon request). The flight was completely full, but everything was well organised. Business class section is now reduced to only 8 seats in 2 rows. They use a airbridge gate ("apron") in SGN, so disembarking and embarking goes quickly. Even then, luggage came out on the belt quickly after cabin doors were opened. In HUI they use bussgate which is a joke and waste of time and resources as the aircraft is always parked only 200 meters away from the Terminal building. A new innovation on their homepage is that they now display total fares from the start of booking, which is very transparent. Other airlines should follow, not at least the two LCC’s operating here in Vietnam where initial ticket fares of "0 VND" often ends up being more costly than those sold by Vietnam Airlines which is the only legacy carrier operating domestically. Ticket bought 2 months prior to first departure, altogether 85 USD for a return ticket with handluggage and 20+ kg luggage included. Miles credited Lotus FFP, though discounted tickets do not give much credit mileage.
RouteHue to Hue via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"can see a big improvement"

Verified Review | I have travelled with Vietnam Airlines multiple times (domestic and international flights), and can see a big improvement during the past 10 years, regarding the quality of the aircraft and the cabin staff service. There is room for the improvement regarding quality of service of the cabin crew. They could: Pay more attention when distributing the headsets, some customers didn't receive and had to ask multiple times (flight VN10 on 31 July 2017: Paris-HCM). Noodle soup: ask customers if they would like to have some (it should be systematic), because it is a favorite meal. Change the uniform multiple times during the flight (like in Asiana or Korean Air), it gives a real positive the image of a company. Call light: when the call light is on, the cabin crew should come and ask systematically.
RouteParis to Ho Chi Minh