Vietnam Airlines

"Very embarrassing for a 4-star airline"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Travelled SGN-HUI, 31/3-2018 on A321. They had announced me earlier about ½ hour preponed schedule which forced me to change my flight to the next day. After some mistakes on their side I got the flight I wanted free of extra charges, but had to stay-over a night in Saigon. Check-in took some time due to queue but the security at Domestic took 30 minutes to pass. Flight full, on time. I brought instant coffee bags and they served me hot coffee – otherwise catering is limited to Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and still water. IFE on board is a torture of forced showing (common ceiling screens) of stupid gags with hidden camera. Very embarrassing for a 4-star airline to associate itself with such 3rd rates broadcastings. Bus-gating is very annoying, they pack their gate-transfer buses like sardine cans, so there is no space even if standing. In HUI its even more ridiculous as the airport is always idle but you are not allowed to walk the 2-300 meter from the airplane to the Terminal despite there is no other security issues. You have again to endure this tedious, lengthy, humiliating sardine packing just to create local employment. To pack the bus with 70 people takes 15 Minutes, to unpack it takes 5 minutes, The drive itself takes 1 minute. No April fools.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Hue

"Very positive surprise"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Flew Vietnam Airlines from Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh. Very positive surprise, new planes, well trained staff, clean cabin, comfotable seats with lots of leg room even if you over 6 feet tall. Water servive is done on a short flight, however, not all crew members speak sufficient English. Lots of international travellers.
RouteNha Trang to Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownMarch 2018

"just about our average expectation"

Trip Verified | Our first time flying direct to Vietnam from London with Vietnam Airlines. In general, it was just about our average expectation. Only a remarkable aspect was the Economy Deluxe, a good product indeed, affordable and very full. It is not a great value for business class unless you want to be in the sky for 13 hours non stop flight. We paid for both outgoing and return flights in business class but had to downgrade to premium economy seats for our return leg as no seats available in business class. It was fine and we were happy. One thing I do not understand when checking in at TSN airport, a senior ground staff did not give us invitation card to the business class lounge. I did make query but she insisted this is Vietnam Airlines' policy. If she is correct the airline must review their policy as we feel it inappropriate. We have been flying to Vietnam over 200 times for the last 25 years with more than 10 major airlines and this is the only unexpected experience if we do not want to say odd. We did have another issue on checking-in but no need to mention here as we may give it another chance to see this 4* (rated by Skytrax) to become 5* airline.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHo Chi Minh to London
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Very poor from start to finish"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Very poor from start to finish. Priority boarding was a mess with no signage and no adherence to recognizing codeshare programs and premium programs from the crews. Bus to the plane both in Ho Chi Minh and Hong Kong. The busses were packed and way beyond what was comfortable and safe at both airports. Get your act together Vietnam Airlines do you value you the customer or you want to be a budget airline as this is the experience you provided. All other airlines using you as codeshare should be ashamed as your service was below what I will find in a budget airline. And no entertainment in seats.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2018

"booked the VNA holidays package"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City. I booked the VNA holidays package. Vietnam airlines re-confirmed by email that everything is in good order. When I checked in at the hotel, the hotel said they had no business with Vietnam Airlines and there was no room available. They moved me to another hotel which was very dirty. The business class seat was mal-function. You cannot adjust the headrest. The food was so so. They served champagne, but it ran out. Recently, Vietnam Airlines has a new lounge which has no longer served instant PHO, which is a big improvement. However, their helpdesk is horrible. They avoided answering the issue over and over again by apologizing and asking the customer to be "sympathized". If you will book a holiday package which includes hotel with VNA, please re-consider.
RouteSingapore to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownMarch 2018

"punctual and got reliable flights"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Hui to Ho Chi Minh City return. VN delivers again. Even cheap tickets are changeable for modest fees. Travelled 3 trips recently on their A321 SGN-HUI-SGN-HUI-SGN. Saigon check-in is a bit messy, always long queues at security. Bus-gating in overloaded busses is a hassle. No real service onboard but the airline is punctual and got reliable flights and has a very fast check-ins plus a generous luggage allowance – all this count strongly for VN. You even get mileage and their business class is affordable if you like to drink beers with snacks in huge, spacious seats. They are boring due to lack of colours and design - but punctual. The drinking water provision onboard is now extended to Cola and Sprite. Bring coffee bags and they’ll provide hot instant coffee/tea. Worse is the lengthy and remote gating in Saigon which makes me close to miss flight connections. Small delays covered up by stupid, nonsense excuses like “due to late arrival of aircraft”.
RouteHui to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Really disappointed with the service"

Trip Verified | Flew Vietnam Airlines from Hanoi to Singapore. Appalling customer service following big (6.5 hour) delays. Really disappointed with the service and totally inadequate response to my complaint. Our flight was diverted to Kuala Lumpur - admittedly through no fault of the airline, but this was announced through a cursory, garbled message from the air steward with no reason given apart from 'the airport is busy'. No further information was provided or reassurance given to passengers until the flight landed, when we were informed of the air temperature, local time and welcomed to KL. And then told we should not leave our seats as they would refuel and let us know our new departure time. After nearly two hours on the tarmac (during which time the only information I could get was by text from a friend watching the news in Singapore), we were herded off the plane and into a waiting area (without toilets, food or drink - though we can queue to leave the lounge, through security to get to a toilet). After 2.5 hours we were given a little pot of orange juice and some cake. Nearly 3.5 hours on we still had no news and not a single member of staff was in sight, no further food, water, or anything else was available. After four hours there was finally a curt call for “business class, children”. From this I deduced that perhaps the flight would be departing and asked the lady making the announcement who said we would hopefully be leaving at 8pm (approximately 4.5 hours after our scheduled departure time). I suggested to her that it might be worth making an announcement to let others know this. Back aboard the plane, we were finally provided with a bottle of water each at 19.50 (4.5 hours after the situation began) and a small box of chips each. At 8.05 we were welcomed aboard, and finally, at 8.10, the plane started taxiing, but of course, once we landed things still weren’t ready and we did not disembark until 9.45, 6.5 hours after the problems began and with very little apology or attempt to help in any of that time.
RouteHanoi to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Thank you so much for being kind"

Trip Verified | Hanoi to Danang. We were tied up with customs and were directed to the wrong terminal. So we did not make our first flight. The manager saved us spots on the next flight no charge. But when we got to Terminal 1 they did not have seats saved for us. The gentleman there asked us to come back, if he could not get us on the 6:30 flight he would get us on the 9:00 flight. A man of his word, he got us on the6:30 flight. To our booked rooms. Thank you so much for being kind and getting us on to the rest of our holiday. You all are first class. If you had not gone the extra mile, I’m not sure how the rest of the vacation would have went.
RouteHanoi to Danang
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"they have improved a lot"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew Tokyo Narita to Ho Chi Minh City. It has been a really long time since I flew with Vietnam Airlines although it’s my home country airline, I must say they have improved a lot. Their brand new 787's look very fresh and new. I really loved the way they served passengers casually. I was stunned with how they have a menu for econony passengers, I did not expect this at all. They did a great job with cleaning the cabin. The crew were active and always walked around the cabin doing checks. They did not sit in their seats and play with their phones like when I last flew with them. Overall I think it was a great flight, they have really improved.
RouteTokyo Narita to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"not great value for business"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh city to Siem Reap. What a waste going business. You get a dedicated line, more baggage allowance and lounge pass plus express through security. However you board the same bus as economy and board together, and the bus trip was way past domestic, across active runways to a back parking lot for planes. You get a drink in a glass. That’s it, not great value for business and not worth it. Fortunately it’s just a short flight.
RouteHo Chi Minh city to Siem Reap