Vietnam Airlines

"will fly Vietnam Airlines again"

Verified Review | Melbourne to London via Ho Chi Minh City. I recently chose to fly with Vietnam Airlines rather than Singapore Airlines with whom I travel twice a year to London. Their Boeing 787 and 1-2-1 business seats are very good, whilst not as spacious as SQ's they are 'lie flat', comfortable and on all legs I managed to sleep. The service has improved greatly since I last flew with VN. The cabin staff were friendly and willing. In general their English was not to the level of the SQ staff but by pointing to what you required from the menu communication was no problem. On all 4 legs the main courses chosen were disappointing and most were left unfinished. The wines on offer were of good quality however. Upon take-off you are asked for your menu choice including accompany drinks. If you don't make a point then your first drink will come together with your starter. They should ask prior to take off whether you would like a drink after take off. I will fly Vietnam Airlines again as the ticket price is well below that of SQ, especially if for holiday rather than business. On both legs I stopped over in HCMC, a city I know well. the only comment on flight times would be that the SGN-LHR flies at 1 am. A couple of hours earlier would be preferable as by the time you take off you are very tired.
RouteMelbourne to London via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"convinced never to fly with them again"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | The international part of our flight with Vietnam Airlines went very smoothly from Incheon to Ho Chi Minh City. The domestic portion to Nha Trang was complicated. 5 schedule changes since I bought my ticket. Just arrived to take my flight and told at the counter the flight was rescheduled again and told to come back later for check in. I'm actually fine with the time change, but the attitude of the check in agent has convinced me never to fly with them again. Her body language and tone made it clear it was my fault for showing up early and walked away when I asked a question on the new time for the flight. Have since asked 2 other airline employees for the new time and have been told 2 different answers. Flight not showing on the board and we are waiting.
AircraftA350 / A320
RouteIncheon to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"tortured with long delays"

(Turkey)

Verified Review | Da nang to Hanoi. They send an e mail that they changed the time 3 hours later just before I was leaving for the flight. I tried to get contact to change it but no lines were available and you have noone to talk about it and even after that they had another 1 hour delay with the new departure time. We still have no one to complain about it. In the end we arrived around 2 am instead of 10pm . I don't recommend this airline at all to anyone unless you like to be tortured with long delays.
RouteDa nang to Hanoi

"very primitive airline"

Verified Review | Basic no frills business class tickets from London to Hanoi with Vietnam Airlines. Seating was comfortable but service lacking. Staff were polite but hidden from view after meal service. I gather there was a technical hitch with catering so it was frozen smoked salmon and basic canteen fayre no special culinary delights. On the return it was a single prawn with a few salad leaves for starters and limited choice. My main complaint was that you can't check in without flash player, which is very inconvenient when using iPad and due to a change in travel arrangements, we could not check the prices or availability of new tickets until after cancelling original return flights and waiting 4 days to find out about the new ticketing and price differences. After that we were unable to select seating and advised to wait till check in. Of course the booking reference was not recognised and so seat selection was deferred to check in at the desk. The main concern was that on the way out the 3 of us were allocated seats without any rhyme or reason. There is no opportunity to select any special meals seating or even rewards for a flying club. After changing tickets there was a concern the new booking would not be recognised. Inflight movies were dominated by Vietnamese movies 1950-60s 'classics'. Overall a very limited choice. Overall a very primitive airline - although competitively priced, however needless to say we won't be travelling with them again. Stick to EVA Air, Virgin, Singapore, Emirates, KLM and maybe Air France if no strikes.
RouteLondon to Hanoi
Date FlownJuly 2017

"flight attendants are hospitable and friendly"

Verified Review | A decent flight with Vietnam Airlines flying from Ho Chi Minh City to Tokyo Narita. It was delayed for only 15 minutes, which was not too irritating. The flight attendants are hospitable and friendly. They supplied me a blanket when I asked for it. The food was very good and easy-to-eat. The leg room was somehow small for tall people like me. Basically, I enjoyed this flight.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownJuly 2017

"not recommend Vietnam Airlines"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Min City in business class. Arrived HCM to clear customs and transfer to Nha Trang on domestic flight at 12.15pm, told flight was full and after some exhausting discussions told we could go on flight around 3.20pm, which would have meant a stopover of over 6 hours. Was told could go on original flight at 12.25pm but in economy and we would have to pay for excess baggage. However after further discussions we were placed on the 12.25 with no excess as we had been travelling since 5am that morning and had Transport to hotel pre-booked. Told to go to Vietnam Airline office in Nha trang to Confirm return Flights only to be told there was nothing they could do. Eventually got confirmation of flight email and went to check in on line but this is not possible for Flight from Nha Trang, Staff are not interested in addressing your issues or problems. Looking forward to return flights with trepidation. Will not not recommend Vietnam Airlines.
RouteHong Kong to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Min
Date FlownJuly 2017

"quite shocked at their behaviour"

Verified Review | Flew Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok. Ground staff at check in were rude and totally disinterested (SGN). Flight attendants on previous Vietnam Airlines flights (domestic) appeared disinterested, lazy and unkept. Out of all Asian airlines I have flown (Korean, Japan, Thai and Bangkok Air - all have been experiences) this airline is the worst and I was quite shocked at their behaviour. I will definitely never fly with them again although they have good priced fares.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2017

"they said that we were late"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh to Cam Ranh. We checked-in online and printed our tickets the night before, arrived at the airport at 5.00 am to catch the flight where boarding was to start at 05.25am. We queued at security for quite long. Once we reached the security officer, he advised that Vietnam Airlines have changed some seating for online check in, therefore he could not find us in the system and sent us back to Vietnam Airlines counter to reprint the ticket. We ran to the counter and get our tickets reprinted, then headed back to security. We went to Departure gate where they said that we were late and could not let us in. Coming back to the courter to change ticket, we were told that they could not ensure the time of our flight and we might wait until 2.30pm that day. I think Vietnam Airlines should train their staff better to deal with these kind of situations in a better manner.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Cam Ranh
Date FlownJune 2017

"pleasant and comfortable flight"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | It was a pleasant and comfortable flight depart from Kuala Lumpur to Seoul via Ho Chi Minh. Attentive and efficient flight crew, good quality of meals with added some local delight and the latest A350 aircraft. I like their color theme of the seat. The aircraft was fascinating with larger screen and more leg room. The content selection was decent and more than enough throughout the flight. I was also on their A321 during my KUL to SGN. Although the aircraft looks bit old but well maintained and comfortable. They used three different language during flight announcement and it was not clear and blur. This was my first time fly with and I'm quite impressed with their product and services provided with that competitive price.
AircraftA350-900
RouteKuala Lumpur to Seoul via Ho Chi Minh

"reliability and punctuality"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled with my son HUI-SGN and back on 19th May and 16th June 2017. A321. Both legs on time, check in extremely fast - even with lots of luggage. Generous with hand-luggage as well as inscribed luggage. Second flight accommodated a lot of extra luggage which was well handled and reasonably priced from Saigon. I easily postponed the first departure time by four days as something had incurred forcing me to change. Despite the ticket was cheap the change was done quickly and punishment fees not too bad. Eventless flights, but reliability and punctuality count heavily for using this airline. In contrast all the competing LCCs seem to have problems making their schedules.
RouteHUI to HUI via Ho Chi Minh City