Top 100 Airlines

Vietnam Airlines

"overall flight was nice"

(New Zealand)

Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi with Vietnam Airlines. Flight was ok in economy class in 2-4-2 configuration. Booked this particular flight as scheduled to be on A350 but changed without notice. Not at all impressed with ground staff who snatched my PNR and checked me in using a self service machine when I was doing it fine myself. Changed schedule and refused refund even though it broke minimum connecting time. Overall flight was nice but ground staff and sales offices are useless
RouteSGN to HAN
Date FlownMarch 2016

"flight was on time"

Hanoi to Hue with Vietnam Airlines. Check in and security well organised and efficient. Was bussed out to plane, so boarding a little chaotic. Cabin crew helpful in stowing hand luggage I overheads. Plane was somewhat grubby. No safety demo just instruction to read card in seat pocket. Flight was on time. No food provided flight time was only one hour fifteen minutes, but small bottle of water was offered.
RouteHAN to HUI
Date FlownApril 2016

"not hesitate to recommend"

Verified Review | We had a grand total of 4 flights booked with Vietnam Airlines between February and March (Frankfurt-Hanoi, Hanoi-Hue, Hoi An-Saigon, Saigon-Frankfurt). We were pleasantly surprised at how good Vietnam Airlines were. We had no problems with any delayed flights (one was delayed by 20 minutes, hardly a disaster). All the planes were in good condition, clean and comfortable, and the staff we dealt with were friendly. Everything seemed to be handled efficiently and capably. We did have a very long check-in at Saigon for some reason, however it was not a big issue for us. The food was ok, nothing spectacular but edible. Drinks were available easily. Considering the number of not-so-good reviews I read, I was a little hesitant as our trip approached, however I needn't have worried. All in all, based on our first experience of Vietnam Airlines, I would not hesitate to recommend them for international or internal flights.
RouteFRA to HAN
Date FlownMarch 2016

"minimal crew friendliness"

Verified Review | Flying to Hanoi with two friends, we checked in online in advance and were surprised to find our seats changed a few hours later. We were all separated so we changed our seats again. When we checked our luggage at the airport, seats had been changed again but we didn't notice until boarding. By chance, we could arrange with other passengers to get finally the seats we wanted! Asking politely a simple question about my upgrade status (I was éligible to business class) to the ground staff before boarding I was annoyed by a young lady (not VN staff) that would better choose another job without customer service. Flight was beginning very well! The flight itself was average. Minimal crew friendliness, minimal service, minimal safety procedure. Food was ok on this way, much worse on return flight. Seat comfort is disapointing on this A350 XWB (extra wide body!) aircraft : poor legroom, very short recline, tight seating. Like any other aircraft economy seat on most airlines. Due to improved overhead luggage storage, your luggage will probably travel more comfortably than you. Inflight entertainement system is up to date but the international movie choice really needs to be updated. Flight was on time.
RouteCDG to HAN
Date FlownApril 2016

"overall a good experience "

(Japan)

Verified Review | Flew Vietnam Airlines on the Narita to Hanoi route with their latest Boeing 787-900. Expectation was high as VN is using their latest equipment on this route. However, there was no 'wow' factor whatsoever. The seats were okay; not too comfortable and not too bad either. The food served was quite good. They distributed a menu individually to each passenger. Service wise, the crew was polite and efficient but they were nowhere to be seen after the meal service. IFE was so-so; the selection was quite limited. However, they have many inflight magazines available. Overall, a good experience.
RouteNRT to HAN
Date FlownApril 2016

"crew were sleeping everywhere"

Verified Review | Hanoi to Paris with Vietnam Airlines. This was a very very long 13 hours flight, with poor service, unfair crew (I didn't catch a simple smile!), very tight seating, short recline - on this A350 aircraft I was waiting for a better passenger experience. A simple glass of water had to be asked like an exceptional favor. After dinner, the rear galley was definitely closed for crew privacy. The mini bar appeared at the very end of this flight. Not a simple snack could be seen. Crew members were sleeping everywhere on door seats but not in their dedicated area. So there was no space where you could simply stretch out - except the toilet. Even one of their suitcases was laying around near the aft door. Is that supposed to be safe? It's also my first time I see an aircraft taking off and landing with luggage beneath the feet of the front row passengers without any reaction of the crew. I must say the IFE is up to date on this new aircraft but programmes are rather average. I had watched everything I could watch on my flight out to Hanoi. Flight was on time and my luggage was there on arrival. That's the good point.
RouteHAN to CDG
Date FlownApril 2016

"attendants refused to help"

I am writing to complain about a Vietnam Airlines flight from Hoi Chi Minh City to London 20th April. During the flight I was not feeling well and needed to lie down due to stomach cramps. My husband got up to enable me to do this and asked the flight attendants for help with finding a seat as he had noticed several available. The attendants refused to help and he was standing up for over two hours. Why was there no help given to seek a seat for my husband under these circumstances? It transpired that at least a dozen Vietnamese passengers had been given complete rows of three seats (in order to sleep throughout the flight). We even saw several family members split up in order to have a row of three each, just sitting up for meals. We could not understand why others were squashed into rows of three when there could have been more thought about giving everyone a bit more space not just a chosen few. This had also been the case on the flight out mainly in the middle rows and could not just be a coincidence. (I doubt if individuals had paid for three seats). Also our friends who were seated toward the front of the plane had problems with children talking all night therefore having no sleep whatsoever. They then discovered that they were in fact unsupervised as their mother was in asleep in business class! How was this allowed and why did no attendant intervene? This was one of the worst long haul flights we have ever had with appalling customer service.
RouteSGN to LHR
Date FlownApril 2016

"reflection of the journey"

Verified Review | Tokyo Narita to Bangkok via Hanoi with Vietnam Airlines. Ominous start at NRT. The departures board had our flight status as "Indefinite" and the massive queue stretched the length of the departures floor. The flight to HAN was to go at 10am but left at 5pm. Reason given was "technical". The late departure meant that we could not make our connecting flight to BKK. The airline put us up at a hotel near the airport, the Me Linh. First impressions were not good. A roach met us in the lobby. But it was OK, it was dead. The hotel seemed new. Concrete dust covered most things in the room apart from the furniture. Our bathroom had no toilet roll, one pillow for 2 people, no aircon remote control, the water ran brown until it cleared. Plastic still covered the TV and refrigerator. Locking the room door caused the lock to break. Staff came to release us. Meal provided was poor. I suspect that no one from the airline checked that this hotel was suitable for their customers. And if not, why not. Flight the next day was due to depart at 9am but left at about 11. A technical issue was again cited as the reason. This further delay again put people under pressure who had rebooked connecting flights from BKK. Airline provided meal vouchers in NRT and HAN. We booked Vietnam Airlines as we had not used them before and wanted to give them a try. We had heard that they had some modern aircraft and were competitively priced. The actual flights were OK. There seemed to be a problem with the FA call button on the Boeing 787-9 armrest. Lots of people were hitting them with their elbows. Food was average. FAs a bit gloomy. IFE OK. This may read like a hotel review but I wanted it to be a reflection of the journey. Would we travel Vietnam Airlines again. Probably. Lightning striking twice
AircraftBoeing 787-9 and A321
RouteNRT to BKK via HAN

"they try their best"

Verified Review | Flew VN1351 from Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh City on 17 April 2016 (departure time was delayed from 12:15 pm to 12:55 pm) for a connecting flight on a different airline to Singapore. Short flight, 1 hour gate to gate with a little over 30 mins in the air. Flight encountered technical difficulties due to strong winds on landing and had to pull up for a second attempt. That was a first time experience for me. The 2nd attempt at landing was brilliant, hardly felt a bump. I previously lived in Ho Chi Minh City for nearly 6 years and am glad to know that there are excellent, professional pilots in what I'd consider a mediocre airline for a flag carrier. They do, however, try their best in what is a tough consumer market in Vietnam.
RouteCXR to SGN
Date FlownApril 2016

"dinner was one of the worst"

(Luxembourg)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh to Paris with Vietnam Airlines. I had the seat 10E, meaning directly behind the separation wall, thus no place for my feet.I was firmly blocked between two other persons being as strong as myself. Before the dinner, the staff forgot to serve the cocktails - maybe to finish sooner. Upon my request they served it to me, together with the dinner - which was one of the worst I had on an airplane. In Ho Chi Minh there was no special lane for Premium Economy passengers as at most airports. Can you tell me why I paid the price supplement. Actually this was the sole item which reminded me that I had a Premium Economy seat.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy