Airline of the Year

Vietnam Airlines

"pleasant and comfortable flight"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | It was a pleasant and comfortable flight depart from Kuala Lumpur to Seoul via Ho Chi Minh. Attentive and efficient flight crew, good quality of meals with added some local delight and the latest A350 aircraft. I like their color theme of the seat. The aircraft was fascinating with larger screen and more leg room. The content selection was decent and more than enough throughout the flight. I was also on their A321 during my KUL to SGN. Although the aircraft looks bit old but well maintained and comfortable. They used three different language during flight announcement and it was not clear and blur. This was my first time fly with and I'm quite impressed with their product and services provided with that competitive price.
AircraftA350-900
RouteKuala Lumpur to Seoul via Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownJune 2017

"reliability and punctuality"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled with my son HUI-SGN and back on 19th May and 16th June 2017. A321. Both legs on time, check in extremely fast - even with lots of luggage. Generous with hand-luggage as well as inscribed luggage. Second flight accommodated a lot of extra luggage which was well handled and reasonably priced from Saigon. I easily postponed the first departure time by four days as something had incurred forcing me to change. Despite the ticket was cheap the change was done quickly and punishment fees not too bad. Eventless flights, but reliability and punctuality count heavily for using this airline. In contrast all the competing LCCs seem to have problems making their schedules.
RouteHUI to HUI via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownJune 2017

"punctuality, reliability, and decency"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | This is a review of a flight never flown, scheduled for today, 11 May 2017. I was positively surprised over excellent ground service: I bought a cheap "early bird" ticket Ho Chi Minh City to Danang for approx. 37 USD. 3 weeks prior to departure they rescheduled and preponed the departure from 8 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and informed me by email with a re-issued ticket attached. Since I was to arrive at the international terminal in Saigon with a tight connection time of 1½ hour, I immediately realised that I could hardly pass immigration, change terminal, retrieve luggage, and check in domestic within an hour. Thus, I preferred to go with another carrier. I explained them this on email. Despite it was a cheap, non-refundable ticket they understood and refunded me instantly the whole fare without further arguments. That is a proof of a legacy carrier, well done and thank you VN. Vietnam Airlines is eventually cheaper than the LCCs they are competing with due to punctuality, reliability, and decency.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Danang
Date FlownMay 2017

"there was no vegetarian food"

Verified Review | Singapore to Tokyo via Ho chi minh City. The flight was good but there was no vegetarian food or easy way to add in your reservation. Flight served beverage was awful, I had some wine which was bitter and bad taste. Airlines should have veg meals or an easier way to add via email or online. I am unhappy with international flight and service. Hope it will improve in future.
RouteSingapore to Tokyo via Ho chi minh City
Date FlownMay 2017

"there were no frills"

Verified Review | Danang to Ho Chi Minh City. A very slow check in that for some reason took four staff members. There was a VIP queue so security was efficient. The lounge is tragic at Danang with none of the food looking edible, we spent the time looking at the shops instead after having a water (there are no glasses provided either). Went to the gate when the flight was called business class boarded last so about 15 minutes before you could board after all the economy passengers were on board. Not enough catering so no food for me, I slept for the hour long flight. Crew were nice enough with the title interaction I had and the flight arrived on time but in general this looked like an airline that had made a lot of cuts, there were no frills and it was below the standard of most domestic economy products. Bags off quite quickly but all you could say was that they got you to your destination.
RouteDanang to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownApril 2017

"I think it was a great flight"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Sydney on a Boeing 787. I chose Vietnam airlines because it is a direct flight to Sydney and its quite cheap. On the way to to Sydney I flew with economy class. The food on-board was great. The in-flight entertainment was quite poor but it has some great movies. The way back was better because it was a premium economy so I can get more 10kg of luggage (40kg total) so I can carry all my shopping things without any extra fees. The seat in premium economy has plenty of legroom with bigger seat so you can rest easily. The food is no different to the normal economy. In total I think it was a great flight, I will travel with Vietnam Airlines again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHanoi to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2017

"a very positive experience"

Verified Review | Singapore to London via Hanoi. My experience with this airline has been really positive, I found an incredibly cheap flight to London so I could visit my family for Christmas. My ticket cost me around £500 return (normally flights are double that or triple around the holidays!) The one drawback was that I had a six hour layover in Hanoi. My flight from Singapore was nice, we were served a light meal and coffee, a little turbulence, the staff were smiley and attentive. My one criticism is the landing was a bit harsh on all four flights and I don't like holding onto the plane for support. When I got to Hanoi I wasn't sure what to expect but I quickly discovered there was a first class lounge which I could use for $50 US I was happy with that for six hours and paid using my credit card. I had a lovely hot shower with towels and toiletries, it made the next flight so lovely and pleasant. I spent the rest of my time in the lounge watching a couple of movies on my laptop. There was a hot food buffet and even an open bar where I helped myself to a nice glass of brandy. By the time we boarded I was completely exhausted, it was 1am and I was ready to sleep. I was delighted to discover I had three whole seats to myself! I slept for 11 hours and woke up just in time for breakfast and a quick movie before touchdown, Christmas with my family and no jetlag! I also liked the fact that Vietnam Airlines lands in Heathrow Terminal four which is one of the least busy airports so passport control was short although I loved standing in line with a bunch of grumpy Brits, it really felt like home! On the way back we got stuck on the runway for about an hour but that was mostly down to Heathrow being busy, there was a technical problem they needed to fix and once everything was safe and in working order they had missed their 'window' to take off and had to wait for another. This time the flight was to Ho Chi Minh and the inflight entertainment was a bit rubbish but I watched a few movies and ate a nice dinner. The layover was short, only one hour and then a smooth, short flight to Singapore (apart from the harsh landing, ouch!) Overall a very positive experience, but I think given all the negative reviews I might have just gotten very very lucky!
RouteSingapore to London via Hanoi
Date FlownDecember 2016

"a pleasant domestic flight"

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Hue. Very surly and slow check in first thing in the morning. There is a VIP queue through security (that isn't labelled business class by the way) but is a far better option than the pushing throngs that were in the main queue. Lounge clean and reasonable selection of food, Vietnamese coffee from the machine was good. Food was plentiful but nothing really appealed. On the plane the cabin was clean, seats comfortable. I assume that the same selection is used for domestic meals at any time of the day as after water or juice pre take off, meal once in the air was a plate of sad canapés for breakfast or for a special meal prawn salad, which was OK but nit really an early morning option. Water, juice, coffee, tea or beer were the options with the meal. Staff in the air obliging and very seemed young and somewhat lacking in confidence perhaps because English was not a strong point. Only just over an hour flight, landed on time, there is the last "luxury" touch of business class passengers getting their own bus to the terminal which is nice but the rest of the crowd will be with you by the time that the bags arrive however business bags were first. All up a pleasant domestic flight with in retrospect breakfast in the lounge being a much better option that in the air.
RouteSGN to HUE
Date FlownApril 2017

"don't know how to manage delays"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | First time flying business class with Vietnam Airlines, I heard they were using the Dreamliner for the long leg and a reasonable price tempted me to book 3 business return tickets from Bangkok to Sydney and return from Melbourne to Bangkok via Ho Chi Minh city. Going out was ok, not great but ok. I will comment on the return leg. The flight was scheduled for a 10.35am departure, the lounge screen showed boarding would start imminently so we left the lounge. The arriving aircraft was late so boarding didn't take place until 90 minutes late. Once onboard no announcements about when we would take off or apology, we waited 2.30hour to then be told that they had a problem with a cargo door being hit but would take off in 20 minutes. We didn't take off in 20 minutes, cabin crew then told us they would serve lunch. No further explaintion from the pilot or crew, eventually after 4 hours total we departed. The dessert came round after take off. I was offered one drink in 2 hours. The seat is good but the service is so poor, the cabin crew standard of English is mostly poor. On landing we had missed our connection. On landing we were told we were booked on the next flight tomorrow and would be out in a hotel overnight. We just joined a long line of economy passengers, I was told that I would need to leave our passports in the airport overnight with immigration, what an uncomfortable feeling. We were then told to collect the passports at 6.15 the following morning, we got the passports back and then were escorted to immigration. They wanted to know why we hadn't got visas, a senior Vietnam air officials assisted us but to be honest it was all very uncomfortable. I travel all over the world in business class and can honestly say that Vietnam Airlines should not be offering connecting flights until they have systems and staff in place who know how to manage delays. Service is average all the journey, move selection was one of the worst I have ever seen as it was so limited. I shall be back to Thai Airways again.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A321
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Ho Chi Minh city
Date FlownApril 2017

"uninterested in the passengers"

Verified Review | Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh City. Vietnam Airlines may be a leading four star airline on long haul flights, but on this short trip (1:30 hours), the crew seemed to be completely uninterested in the passengers. Not even a "welcome on board" smile, the bottle of water was served with a simply bored attitude. No inducement to try a long haul flight with Vietnam Airlines instead of Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines.
AircraftAirbus A321