Vietnam Airlines

Review by (Thailand) 3rd August 2015

This is possibly the worst airline I have flown. Very hostile service especially with the ground staff at Da Nang. They only let us check-in at one specific counter with a long queue even though there were other 5 free counters. No one was smiling and the staff were acting like we were a burden to them! No entertainment on the flight. Food was just 2 pieces of ham and a bread roll. We took 4 legs of flights in total and all of them were delayed.
RouteDa Nang to Bangkok via SGN

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st August 2015

The flight was 30 minutes late on take off. the cabin crew English language skills were weak but they were helpful and friendly. The food was relatively good and seating was no worse than a typical Virgin or BA flight. The real complaint was that the IFE was very dated but as an overall package that avoids a stopover (you cannot fly to Vietnam from the UK directly with anyone else) it was excellent value for money.
RouteLondon to Hanoi

Review by (Vietnam) 30th July 2015

HAN-HUI-HAN in July 2015 on award ticket in their Golden Lotus Plus Programme. Award tickets flexible and free and easy to change and valid for a year. Aircraft an A321. Check in smooth, flights punctual, and boarding and luggage handled fine. Cabin colours and interior design are very dull, dark, and conservative. No entertainment. A bottle of water and tissue were given to each passenger. Apart from that the 4 crewmembers had absolutely nothing to do - nothing to sell, nothing to provide.
RouteHAN-HUI-HAN

Review by (Australia) 29th July 2015

SYD-SGN on Vietnam Airlines because of the 8 hour flying time compared to 13-15 hours travelling time for its competitors. Check in was terribly slow, mainly due to the high percentage of passengers who had 3 or 4 large cartons as excess baggage. It all has to be weighed and labelled and that takes time. On boarding, the cabin crew pointed us unsmilingly towards our seats. The A330-200 looked in good condition with the cabin clean and tidy. We asked for extra seats at check-in so we could stretch out and had 4 seats to ourselves. In the rear cabin section there were only about 30 passengers. With the seat-belt sign illuminated the crew made no attempt to check the passengers or items on seats. While the A330 was waiting to enter the runway, the woman sitting in front of us stood up and walked to the rear toilet. The two cabin crew looking at her frowned but said and did nothing to stop her. During the flight, the seat belt sign was illuminated and passengers told to belt up as there was turbulence ahead. The flight smoothed out but the sign stayed on for over an hour but some passengers took no notice and moved around the cabin without challenge. The PTV selection is limited but passable, however my unit locked up and none of the controls would fix it. After a frustrating ten minutes I reported it to the cabin crew who advised me to change seats. Okay, but later my wife’s PTV also locked, but later went into re-boot and after several minutes, the programs returned, but the screen was still locked. Food served during the flight was edible. The toilets used by us were in poor condition. Floors wet, dirty stains under the seats, damaged fascia around the mirror, toilet seat and cover broken away from its mountings and tissues on the floor. We didn't see cabin attendant refresh or tidy toilets. On the final approach to Saigon, with the seat belt sign illuminated, passengers still moved about the cabin uncontested by the crew. Of the attendants who worked our part of the cabin, only one was smiling, and she kept it up all the flight. All in all, a very deficient performance from a somewhat surly cabin crew and poor maintenance, particularly the toilets.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSYD to SGN

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd July 2015

It has taken me some time to recover from the awful experience of flying with Vietnam Airlines. We booked a multi-destination holiday which involved flying with this airline 5 times, both domestic and International. There were 8 people travelling together (including 2 toddlers). The customer service is shockingly bad, both at check in and on board. The staff on board treated us terribly. Dished out food and drink to us as if we were in a prison, one even nudged me on the shoulder with the tea tray he was carrying. When I asked (several times) for a sandwich for my 3 year old, I got a tuna and cheese sandwich, loosely wrapped in cling film, which looked like it had been home made from a kids lunch box and had enjoyed many hours of sitting in warm air. Suffice to say, I did not deem it safe to feed to my daughter. Picture attached! I cannot express how awful these flights, bar one (we did one business class flight), were. The entertainment system was very out of date with bad pictures and a very small selection of movies and games. I understand that flying economy means that we may not enjoy many of the frills offered by more premium seats, as I often use budget airlines, but this is on a another level! Even service offered on airlines such as Ryanair and Easyjet far exceeds that received from Vietnam's national airline. What a bad representation of Vietnam. I will never fly with this airline again, even if it means paying more to use an alternative carrier. I even wrote to the airline to report my experience and am still waiting for a response after two months. Perhaps they employ the same stewards to deal with complaints. Pay that bit extra and avoid the nightmare of Vietnam Airlines.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Ho Chi Minh City

Review by (Australia) 23rd July 2015

I was very disappointed on all my 5 flights. Leaving Sydney we were delayed by approx 50 mins. This I know is inevitable but on three out of five flights we were delayed. The worst part was sitting on the tarmac in Saigon for 50 mins in heat and not being offered water. The food was awful and on a afternoon flight I asked for some juice - their reply was there's pepsi, pepsi or pepsi. Not good enough Vietnam Airlines, If you want people to visit your country show a bit more public relations.
RouteSydney to Saigon

Review by (Vietnam) 22nd July 2015

Flying on A350 aircraft, I set a high expectation which wasn't fully met after all. The cabin is spotless and roomy. Each seat is equipped with touch screen, but unfortunately entertainment is not available on short-haul flights. Food was extremely basic and no coffee or tea was served, which is even worse than my trips with them few years ago. Cabin staff is decent and the plane arrived on time. Overall a little disappointed.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHanoi to Ho Chi Minh City

Review by (Malaysia) 18th July 2015

Flight to SGN on A320 was comfortable with ample legroom in economy. Crew service was efficient, and food and drinks served was okay. The flight from SGN to KIX was on a new plane with interactive entertainment features (unfortunately not put to much use as it was a night flight) but the return flight from KIX to SGN was on an older one which only shows the same clips for everyone. Both flights on time, food was okay, and the service was good.
AircraftA320/A330
RouteKuala Lumpur to Osaka via Ho Chi Minh

Review by (Australia) 12th July 2015

Was a short flight of around 55 mins, the cabin was well kept and tidy. I do not believe drinks were offered and on such a short flight really who needs them to be. I did have a bottle of water in my carry on anyhow. I am just over 6 ft tall and thought the legroom was ample.
RouteDa Nang to Ho Chi Minh City

Review by (Vietnam) 11th July 2015

Warning to travellers with excess baggage. You need a registered email to purchase pre-paid baggage online. If you have booked through a travel agent they may not have registered your email address. I got caught by this and had to pay $14 per kg at check-in instead of paying much less to purchase online. The manager at the Vietnam Airlines counter handled this appallingly and it was a terrible experience.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh