Vote Now

Vietnam Airlines

"ticket was extremely cheap"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Hue on 13 March 2017 on A321 aircraft. I was terribly delayed by a baggage delivery delay in the International Terminal nearby. I pushed myself into the business class queue as I had no time and was permitted. At the time of my check-in, the flight was scheduled to depart. Somehow they allowed me to check in including a huge suitcase. It appeared that the flight was 45 Minutes delayed which turned out to my luck as they allowed me to board the aircraft. Thus, everything went smooth and I was neither penalised nor denied anything, despite I was very late. Further, this ticket was extremely cheap purchased months earlier during a campaign period. If this would have been on their competitor’s LCC-flight it would have been a lose-lose situation. Flight was 90% full. No food, only water and cold wet-serviet.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Hue
Date FlownMarch 2017

"attitude was quite rude"

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh to Singapore. Very disappointed, cabin staff attitude was quite rude. They did not smile and when I asked for water, the cabin crew told me to go back to the galley and take a cup for myself. When I went to the galley I saw them busy chatting with one another and laughing. They gave me attitude when I interrupted them to ask for a cup of water. What kind of service is this.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Singapore
Date FlownMarch 2017

"destroyed the reputation"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | The price is ok and onboard service was great. However, the ground service at an information counter of Vietnam Airlines in Ho Chi Minh Airport was bad. I bought round trip tickets from Bangkok to London via Ho Chi Minh. On the way back to Bangkok, I didn't want to wait for a connecting flight for more than 10 hours at Ho Chi Minh airport, so I bought extra tickets with the other airline to Bangkok. Traveling a long flight, we were so tired, so I asked a staff for using a VN lounge. The staff rejected and insisted that only persons who fly with VN can use the lounge. I had a ticket but chose not to fly. The important thing is I paid for all the services why couldn't I use it. She strongly insisted on the VN regulation, without any empathy that we were so exhausted. I would suggest that VN train ground staff to have more hospitality and good service mind. I am so sorry for the Vietnam Airlines inflight staffs who worked so hard to provide excellent service onboard but the ground staff, obviously having been ignored by Vietnam Airlines in service mind training, destroyed the reputation of VN.
RouteLHR to BKK via SGN
Date FlownApril 2016

"very good value for money"

Verified Review | Flew from Heathrow to Ho Chi Minh and then on to Da Nang. Check in at Heathow was very quick with boarding passes for the two legs. Kindly reminded that I may need to show my onward ticket at passport control Ho Chi Minh. I entered on the 15 day no visa and I was through passport control in seconds. The Boeing 787 was three quarters full and I was able to change to an empty row of 3 seats. Plenty of leg room in Economy and the seats were quite comfortable (I have had less comfortable seats on a so called "major" airline ). The staff were attentive throughout the flight and snacks (pot noodle and sandwiches) available in-between meals. The meals were more than acceptable and the portions good. The movie selection was quite limited in regard to major movies but if not a film buff were adequate. Transfer from International to Domestic terminal was about 5 minutes walk. ( You collect your bags at collection in the International terminal and hand them over just outside.) Getting through security at the Domestic terminal can take up to 40 minutes. Both flights took off on time and landed on time. Domestic flight seating ok but not great. Flight rather noisy with many young children and babies. All in all, very good value for money and can recommend.
RouteLHR to DAD via SGN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"staff smiling and courteous"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | We flew Kuala Lumpur to Hanoi on January 27th. There were only three passengers in Business Class. Pleasant flight. Seat comfortable, food quite nice and staff smiling and courteous. We were surprised, though, that no offer of inflight entertainment on a 3 hour flight, despite information in the entertainment leaflet that there would be. No earphones provided. On the return flight VN681, on Monday 30 Jan, headphones were provided along with the menu, as well as pillows and blankets (which we'd had to request on the outbound flight). Good service, again from courteous staff. I would fly wth this airline again.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Hanoi
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"never fly with Vietnam Airlines again"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Tokyo Narita to Kuala Lumpur via Ho Chi Minh City. Bad and lazy staff at the airport counters. Me and my family (with two children) were so tired waiting more than 10 hours in Ho Chi Minh City airport overnight. There is no staff at the service counter, so we can't get any help. I will never fly with Vietnam Airlines again.
RouteNRT to KUL via SGN

"a very good experience"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong via Hanoi. Check in staff at Kuala Lumpur was very friendly and explained in detail that the luggage won't be seen in Hanoi even though it was an overnight stopover. Boarding was quick and they gave priority to families with children. The food during both flights was very good. Especially the bread, it was superb. The A321 didn't have any IFE. The crew's English was very understandable and the pilot offered good information en-route and baggage arrived on-time. Overall a very good experience flying Vietnam and considering I landed a very good price for this fly I give it a 9/10.
RouteKUL to HKG via HAN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"cabin crew are not very friendly"

(China)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh city with Vietnam Airlines. On time take off and the airfare is cheap. Cabin crew are not very friendly but the drinks are good. There was a funny film playing on the overhead screen but I think if they could update to an A330 will be far more comfortable.
RouteHKG to SGN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

" business class product was outdated"

Verified Review | When I heard about Vietnam Airlines' new business class I wanted to try it out. After booking my flight from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi aboard an A350, Vietnam Airlines tells me that my flight has been cancelled and changed to a different aircraft. So, I changed my flight to a different one with an A350. But each time VNA kept on changing my flight. The day before my flight they once again changed my plane to an A330. On board the plane, the business class product was outdated and was simply a seat that could recline more than economy. The seat was not comfortable and service was average. The food was typical plane food and was not outstanding. If you are looking to fly business with VNA avoid their old planes and try to fly the 787 or 350 as the other planes are not worth the extra cash. The lounge in HCM was newly renovated and had good drink variety but a lack of food choices.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSGN to HAN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"service still maddening and erratic"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Ho chi Minh City. The Boeing 787 business class seat on Vietnam Airlines is good, however service is still maddening and erratic. Some FA clearly are wanting to be somewhere else rather than serving you, and mistakes are often made even when requests are written down. There is a degree of shambolic carelessness which spoils the service in almost every action, from being unable to understand the announcements to not knowing how to serve cheese, to forgetting drinks, or the order that food is served (and in piecemeal fashion). If you can overlook the ambivalent service then the food is tolerable (think somewhere between Y and J), the appalling wine selection and the friendliness dependant upon the FA in question. Announcements are minimal (suits me as I couldn't understand them anyway). IFE selection is poor, headsets are what you'd expect in economy class. At the end of the day it's a flat bed seat for cheap, so I guess I can't expect too much.
RouteLHR to SGN