Vietnam Airlines

"polite but otherwise unremarkable"

Verified Review | Sydney to Ho Chi Minh City. Used Optiontown to upgrade, and was confirmed by email 4 days prior to departure. Previously, our connectiing flight onward to PNH had been cancelled, resulting in a misconnection and I spent hours convincing the agent/airline to reaccommodate us without charge. We ended up leaving Sydney 24 hours earlier and the airline provided hotel, meals, transfers in SGN. Frustrating experience but it all worked out in the end. Checkin was quick and easy, but there was a slight to-do because we didn't have a Vietnam visa for our 24 hour stay (the airline sponsored us on arrival so we didn't have to pay for it). Was given an immigration express pass and bags priority tagged. Flight was about half full. Boarding was quick and easy. Seats are 2-3-2. Chose window/aisle 14AC towards the rear to avoid any toilet flushing/galley noise at the front. Don't think it was too bad though. Legroom is good, but if the person in front fully reclines it's difficult to get out from the window seat. Meals/drinks are the same as in economy. You just get served first. 2 melts were tasty, but don't like champagne from a plastic glass, or plastic cutlery. Cabin crew were polite, but otherwise unremarkable. IFE worked well and there was enough to keep me occupied.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownOctober 2017

"crew polite, but unremarkable"

Verified Review | Used Optiontown to upgrade, and was confirmed by email 4 days prior to departure. Previously, our connectiing flight onward to PNH had been cancelled, resulting in a misconnection and I spent hours convincing the agent / airline to reaccommodate us without charge. We ended up leaving SYD 24 hours earlier and the airline provided hotel / meals / transfers in SGN. Frustrating experience but it all worked out in the end. Check in was quick and easy, but there was a slight to-do because we didn't have a VN visa for our 24 hour stay (the airline sponsored us on arrival so we didn't have to pay for it). Was given an immigration express pass and bags priority tagged. Flight was about half full in both PY and Y. Boarding was quick and easy. Seats are 2-3-2. Chose window / aisle 14AC towards the rear to avoid any toilet flushing / galley noise at the front. Don't think it was too bad though. Legroom is good, but if the person in front fully reclines it's difficult to get out from the window seat. Meals and drinks are the same as in economy. You just get served first. 2 meals were tasty, but don't like champagne from a plastic cup, or plastic cutlery. Cabin crew were polite, but otherwise unremarkable. IFE worked well and there was enough to keep me occupied.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to Ho Chi Minh City

"quite some way to go"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Paris on A350 in Business. Great aircraft and quite comfortable completely lie flat seats. Friendly and well meaning service. The rest is quite a mixed bag - food poor for business class and never got what I selected from the menu (dinner and breakfast), big and impressive screen but very limited selection of non exciting movies to watch, spacious lie flat seat but economy style blanket, between the meals the cabin crew were completely gone - made the cabin very calm but on a 12+h flight one could expect some drink services / clean up of the cabin during the flight. All in all, well meaning airline but quite some way to go and make sure to download your own entertainment.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Paris
Date FlownOctober 2017

"what kind of standard is this"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Hanoi to Nha Trang Cam Ranh. I'm a Gold member of the VA LotusMiles program. Today, sitting in Noi Bai Domestic's Lotus Lounge, I wonder to myself why I fly on VN Airlines? No clear direction or signage where to check in to which destination. Ground staff hopeless and unfriendly. I travelled with some staff of my company. Where is the group check in?! The ground staff told me it is up to me where i want to check in. I said here and she said no. If a Gold member is being talked to in such a manner, i can only imagine the way foreign passengers are treated and even worse, local passengers are treated. I've so many trips in the south via Cam Ranh and Saigon, their people are so much more excellent. Lounge - what kind of standard is this. 3 staff at the front desk and I am not even greeted. Why is it that in Saigon I am greeted but not here? And why is the lounge so badly stocked? Nothing to eat except some fruits?
RouteHanoi to Nha Trang Cam Ranh
Date FlownOctober 2017

"a value for money airline"

Verified Review | Singapore to Hanoi. Small airplane 3x3 layout. No IFE. Overall the service is acceptable. However, the carbon crew English is very limited. The attitude is fine. When they offer drinks and food, the English expression is not very polite especially male crew. The food is delicious. This is the strongest point of Vietnam Airlines. They even provide wine glass not plastic cup. The aircraft is clean including washroom. The on-line check in is not friendly and their website should be improved. It is a value for money airline. I agree with Skytrax 4 star rating.
RouteSingapore to Hanoi

"they are very reliable"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Saigon to Hue 30 September 2017 on an A321. Faultless. Quick check-in. Service by FAs onboard is fine and they are very attentive. However, the food served onboard is poor as these cold “Western Sandwiches” bites are dry and appalling. It is an anti-climax upon their dining preparations which include table cloths, steel cutlery, and supplements. Drinks (inc. 3 sorts of beers), newspapers and towels provided. Flight on time. Priority security for bz-class passengers saved me 20 Minutes. Was charged 5kg for 8kg overweight, but the fee was only 2 USD/kg. The new SASCO lounge in Saigon is nice and well equipped but the food is so-so. Things are in order with VN, the best is that they are very reliable and even discounted tickets are changeable.
RouteSaigon to Hue

"experience was good"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Saigon to Vientiane via Phnom Penh. The flight to Phnom Penh was really short but they managed to distribute refreshing towels and a bottled water to each passenger. The air stewardess was really friendly compared to another air steward who sighed frequently during the flight. From Phnom Penh to Vientiane, refreshment was served. Overall, the experience was good.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Vientiane via Phnom Penh
Date FlownOctober 2017

"crew leaves much to be desired"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Ho CHi Minh City on the B787-900. The seats and food were okay. IFE is really limited. This is also something to be improved. Service wise, the crew was okay. However, one of the crew asked the passenger in the last row near the galley to move to another seat so she can put her bag luggage on the seat. The crew chatted and laughed really loudly in the kitchen and this could be heard in the aisle. One of the crew shouted suddenly out of frustration and a few passengers were shocked. During landing, one of the crew was on her mobile phone and tapping away. Vietnam Airlines is definitely improving but I think the level of professionalism of the crew leaves much to be desired.
RouteTokyo to Ho Chi Minh City

"completely disgusting"

Verified Review | Booked a flight from Melbourne to Nha Trang, including a 3 hour stopover in Ho Chi Minh City for my wife and I through VN airlines. They change my flight schedule on 2 occasions shortly after purchasing my ticket, the second flight change reducing my stopover time to only 1 hour, and also including an email from VN Airlines ask me to change to a 5am flight the next morning with an offer to pay for 1 night accommodation in Ho Chi Minh City, which I declined as I have already booked accommodation at my destination (5-star resort at $350/night). I am also very concerned as I am transferring from an international flight to a domestic flight which requires me to clear customs, collect my bags and then check in again. VN Airlines leave my schedule as is and advise that they will have staff on arrival to assist with my transfer. When I arrive VN airlines take almost 1 hour just to unload our luggage - The staff member on the ground who was supposed to assist is glued to her phone texting the entire time. Once we have our bags she leads us to the domestic terminal, tells us we've missed our flight, shrugs our shoulders and then walks off, forcing us to stay 1 night at an old, run-down hotel (couldn't even sleep due to the obscenely loud noises coming from the pipes in the walls) and forfeit the 1st night's accommodation at our destination. I've attempted to contact their customer service line for compensation for weeks now, as well as included all my supporting documentation (emails, boarding passes etc.). Each time I do their response is always words to the effect of "someone will get back to you", and then I never heard back. Completely disgusting.
RouteMelbourne to Nha Trang via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"improvement has been implemented"

Verified Review | Sydney to Incheon return via Hanoi. Boeing 787 was pretty well maintained. My family engaged in a conversation with one of the Flight Attendants. Boarding was fairly quick but HAN to SYD had some issues. Staff on SYD-HAN seemed a little boring and smiles were rare. Food was disgusting except for my ICN-HAN flight. My seat was pretty comfortable but the legroom is smaller than expected. No WiFi on the A350 and B787 were a huge disappointment but IFE was pretty great. Compared to their previous product 5 years ago, an immense improvement has been implemented. Around $750AUD for the 4 flights was an amazing price.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / A350/321