Vote Now

Vietnam Airlines

"a very positive experience"

Verified Review | Singapore to London via Hanoi. My experience with this airline has been really positive, I found an incredibly cheap flight to London so I could visit my family for Christmas. My ticket cost me around £500 return (normally flights are double that or triple around the holidays!) The one drawback was that I had a six hour layover in Hanoi. My flight from Singapore was nice, we were served a light meal and coffee, a little turbulence, the staff were smiley and attentive. My one criticism is the landing was a bit harsh on all four flights and I don't like holding onto the plane for support. When I got to Hanoi I wasn't sure what to expect but I quickly discovered there was a first class lounge which I could use for $50 US I was happy with that for six hours and paid using my credit card. I had a lovely hot shower with towels and toiletries, it made the next flight so lovely and pleasant. I spent the rest of my time in the lounge watching a couple of movies on my laptop. There was a hot food buffet and even an open bar where I helped myself to a nice glass of brandy. By the time we boarded I was completely exhausted, it was 1am and I was ready to sleep. I was delighted to discover I had three whole seats to myself! I slept for 11 hours and woke up just in time for breakfast and a quick movie before touchdown, Christmas with my family and no jetlag! I also liked the fact that Vietnam Airlines lands in Heathrow Terminal four which is one of the least busy airports so passport control was short although I loved standing in line with a bunch of grumpy Brits, it really felt like home! On the way back we got stuck on the runway for about an hour but that was mostly down to Heathrow being busy, there was a technical problem they needed to fix and once everything was safe and in working order they had missed their 'window' to take off and had to wait for another. This time the flight was to Ho Chi Minh and the inflight entertainment was a bit rubbish but I watched a few movies and ate a nice dinner. The layover was short, only one hour and then a smooth, short flight to Singapore (apart from the harsh landing, ouch!) Overall a very positive experience, but I think given all the negative reviews I might have just gotten very very lucky!
RouteSingapore to London via Hanoi
Date FlownDecember 2016

"a pleasant domestic flight"

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Hue. Very surly and slow check in first thing in the morning. There is a VIP queue through security (that isn't labelled business class by the way) but is a far better option than the pushing throngs that were in the main queue. Lounge clean and reasonable selection of food, Vietnamese coffee from the machine was good. Food was plentiful but nothing really appealed. On the plane the cabin was clean, seats comfortable. I assume that the same selection is used for domestic meals at any time of the day as after water or juice pre take off, meal once in the air was a plate of sad canapés for breakfast or for a special meal prawn salad, which was OK but nit really an early morning option. Water, juice, coffee, tea or beer were the options with the meal. Staff in the air obliging and very seemed young and somewhat lacking in confidence perhaps because English was not a strong point. Only just over an hour flight, landed on time, there is the last "luxury" touch of business class passengers getting their own bus to the terminal which is nice but the rest of the crowd will be with you by the time that the bags arrive however business bags were first. All up a pleasant domestic flight with in retrospect breakfast in the lounge being a much better option that in the air.
RouteSGN to HUE
Date FlownApril 2017

"don't know how to manage delays"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | First time flying business class with Vietnam Airlines, I heard they were using the Dreamliner for the long leg and a reasonable price tempted me to book 3 business return tickets from Bangkok to Sydney and return from Melbourne to Bangkok via Ho Chi Minh city. Going out was ok, not great but ok. I will comment on the return leg. The flight was scheduled for a 10.35am departure, the lounge screen showed boarding would start imminently so we left the lounge. The arriving aircraft was late so boarding didn't take place until 90 minutes late. Once onboard no announcements about when we would take off or apology, we waited 2.30hour to then be told that they had a problem with a cargo door being hit but would take off in 20 minutes. We didn't take off in 20 minutes, cabin crew then told us they would serve lunch. No further explaintion from the pilot or crew, eventually after 4 hours total we departed. The dessert came round after take off. I was offered one drink in 2 hours. The seat is good but the service is so poor, the cabin crew standard of English is mostly poor. On landing we had missed our connection. On landing we were told we were booked on the next flight tomorrow and would be out in a hotel overnight. We just joined a long line of economy passengers, I was told that I would need to leave our passports in the airport overnight with immigration, what an uncomfortable feeling. We were then told to collect the passports at 6.15 the following morning, we got the passports back and then were escorted to immigration. They wanted to know why we hadn't got visas, a senior Vietnam air officials assisted us but to be honest it was all very uncomfortable. I travel all over the world in business class and can honestly say that Vietnam Airlines should not be offering connecting flights until they have systems and staff in place who know how to manage delays. Service is average all the journey, move selection was one of the worst I have ever seen as it was so limited. I shall be back to Thai Airways again.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A321
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Ho Chi Minh city
Date FlownApril 2017

"uninterested in the passengers"

Verified Review | Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh City. Vietnam Airlines may be a leading four star airline on long haul flights, but on this short trip (1:30 hours), the crew seemed to be completely uninterested in the passengers. Not even a "welcome on board" smile, the bottle of water was served with a simply bored attitude. No inducement to try a long haul flight with Vietnam Airlines instead of Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines.
AircraftAirbus A321
RouteDa Nang to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the plane was not clean"

(Kazakhstan)

Verified Review | Vietnam Airlines seemed to be a reliable airline with good service on board. Should regretfully admit that this was not so. I know that our flight was based in Nha Trang, but the plane was not clean, as if it was a return flight. On the luggage racks lay garbage, the portholes were dirty, in the pocket of the seats was also garbage. There was also a lack of on-board service on domestic flights - only water is offered. As you can see, the onboard magazine is unpleasant to hold. I can not recommend, I will avoid the airline, including on long-haul flights.
RouteNha Trang to Da Nang
Date FlownApril 2017

"Not more than a 3 star airline"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled Danang to Ho Chi Minh City on 16th April 2017 on A321 aircraft. Tried in vain to change to a later flight with vacant seat but was not allowed without paying penalty, despite my fare rules says “change without fees”. They offered me standby for free but that was a joke as I then would have to risk everything as I’d forsaked my earlier flight. Lounge in Danang used to be good but is now run down, dirty, no alcoholic drinks, staff washing dishes in front of service table. Lounge staff informed me that due to unwillingness from VN to increase their lounge-payments the operator has been forced to save. VN are now cutting costs seriously in their domestic business class. I was informed by lounge staff that that passengers consume 2+ cans of beer on average (this is in Vietnam 80 cents minus taxes!). VN refuse to pay that. The soft-drinks, which costs double as beers, are however available. But fruit juices have also gone. The flight was delayed ½ hour. Onboard the business seats are becoming very old. Instead of 4 rows in business there are now only 2 rows, and on a full plane it feels very cramped. Better travel economy seats, there is more space in general than with this squeezed configuration of 2 x 2 in 2 rows. They have shortened the distance to put in more seats on their A321! Shame on VN, for deteriorating their domestic business class; it used to be a very good option. Food is poor and menu has run for years (an attempt to serve “canapés” which are disgusting, tasteless, greasy, cold, and ugly. The drink service is OK (soft, beer, hot-drinks). Newspapers offered. Not more than a 3 star airline in terms of service.
RouteDanang to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownApril 2017

"punctual, tickets cheaper than LCC"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled Hue to Danang via Hanoi on 13 and 15 April 2017 on a A321 aircraft. Flights punctual, check-in efficient, tickets cheaper than LCC. No airbridges – and in 3 out of 4 instances we had to shuttle around in the airport standing in a bus - to find an aircraft or terminal. Basically, no service on board, but I found a way to get myself coffee by bringing along instant coffee sachets, then they’ll find a paper mug and boiled water to make it for you. Good service and baggage allowance. Fairly faultless and predictable, but also, uninspiring, dusty, conservative, eventless, colourless, quiet as the grave, and boring. Does the job to get you from A to B and even C. Ground services are extremely good. Flights punctual, check-in efficient, tickets cheaper than LCC.
RouteHue to Danang via Hanoi
Date FlownApril 2017

"a great sense of spaciousness"

(Laos)

Verified Review | There's a lot to like about Vietnam Airlines. It's a very good option for travelling between Vientiane and Paris with a relatively short and hassle-free stopover in Hanoi. The new A350 servicing the route is a nice aircraft with a great sense of spaciousness. The lie-flat seats are comfortable. The food and service are, in general, very good, especially the 'pho bo' breakfast option. The IFE is disappointing - a limited choice of movies with few new releases and very few TV programmes. Overall, I would recommend Vietnam Airlines and I will definitely fly with them again.
RouteVientiane to Paris via Hanoi
Date FlownApril 2017

"aircraft was clean and neat"

Verified Review | London Heathrow - Ho Chi Minh City - London Heathrow. Chose Vietnam Airlines because of direct route and pricing. It's been 15yrs since I flew from UK to SE Asia direct (I usually fly Emirates via DXB) so I was apprehensive about the duration and about the airline, which I had not used before. The booking engine on their website is a little complicated in that you cannot book some classes of ticket oubound and a different class inbound (i.e. the very cheapest ones) but that was not too big a problem. Checked in online 24 hrs prior to departure and breezed through bag-drop at LHR - I was the only passenger at check-in, which was very efficient as was boarding. The aircraft was clean and neat and cabin staff polite and friendly. Economy seating is 3-4-3 and in an aisle seat I found plenty of legroom and it felt like considerably more width than say Emirates. I was perfectly comfortable throughout a 12-13hr flight Vietnam Airlines say they are aiming for 4 Star service and I would say they are pretty much reaching that. The food was generous and a reasonable variety. They are a bit stingy with alcohol though - as they insist in *pouring* your drinks - so rather than just handing over a minature of spirits and a can of mixer or a small bottle of wine (as most others do) you actually get 3/4 of a plastic cup of wine or 1/2 a minature of spirits and whatever amount of mixer they decide is going in! I'd rather have been given the "goods" and served myself. Service throughout the flight was fast and attentive with drinks, pot noodles, sandwiches, pretzels etc all freely available. The entertainment system was good rather than excellent but it satisfied me and the music selection made a change from modern stuff I've never heard of! Departures and landings were all on time. Loyalty program is hardly worth joining if you're flying at cheap fares as you get 0.25 points per mile so the chances of ever having enough points to do anything with is pretty remote. Also the "Optiontown" BC (possible) upgrades were unavailable so i didn't get a chance to try that - but you can't have everything I guess For £500 return I feel I got good value for money, will certainly fly with Vietnam Airlines again and in fact recommend them.
RouteLondon Heathrow - Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownApril 2017

"was delayed by 10.5 hours"

Verified Review | London to Hanoi return. Our flight from London to Hanoi was delayed by 10.5 hours. The airline was dreadful at giving out any information. All they said was it was due to "technical" problems, rumours went round that it was a bird strike. Initially sent away for 3 hours with food vouchers, then told flight cancelled. Moved out of airport, into hotel, checked in, issued dinner and breakfast vouchers, then an hour later, told the plane would be flying that night and to get packed up again to be taken back to the airport. No apologies on the flight. Choice and quality of food in Business poor. The lie flat bed had a gap at the lower back level, making it quite uncomfortable. Cabin staff had poor understanding of English and were not particularly helpful. On arrival at Hanoi, no help on the ground for many people who had missed their connecting flights. On the return flight to London, a wait of 1hr 40 mins for the baggage to be delivered. Again, no information until it arrived and that was apparently due to not being able to open the luggage hold and a wait for engineers. On the return flight, my personal entertainment would not work, they were not able to fix it and luckily there was another seat I could use.
RouteLondon to Hanoi