Vote Now

VietJet Air

"blatant attempt to procure money"

Verified Review | On a flight with Vietjet Air from Bangkok to Chiang Mai last month I was forced to pay 2.5 times the original fare I paid for my daughter because we included the middle name on her booking form. The booking form asked to include Last Name, Middle Name and Given Name of any person travelling on the ticket. It did not ask for the names as they appear on the passport. My daughter's middle name does not appear on her passport. But because it asked for her middle name in this form I included it. Because of this they made me pay, in cash, more than the double flight cost to remove her middle name and get on the flight. This is just ridiculous and makes me very angry. She was identified through her passport but would not allow her on the flight because of her middle name. Where is the common sense and any sense of reason or fairness in this? Clearly just a blatant attempt to procure money from customers. And in cash too! I would love to pursue this matter further but already they are denying my claims through their customer service department.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai

"everything becomes worse"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | I live in Vietnam since 3 years. Vietjet Air was a good low cost airline before. But since about 1,5 years everything becomes worse. Nearly all flights are reschedulded. On 24 December 2016 I had a flight from Singapore to HCMC with a new departure time 4 hours later. My last flight yesterday from Phu Quoc to HCMC was 2 hours earlier as in timetable. No service, now assistance and extremely arrogant. If you write to the customer service with a problem, they just don't reply. Especially if they see that there could be a problem for Vietjet Air.
RoutePhu Quoc to Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"young, smiling and proactive crew"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Singapore. I was quite suprised by this small airline. I have not seen such a young, smiling and proactive crew for quite a long time. I did not find seat pitch to be that cramped. Aircraft was quite well-maintained. Took off with a delay of 20 minutes but landed in Singapore exactly on-time. Based on this experience and considering the very low ticket price I paid, I would fly again.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"Skyboss was a no-brainer"

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc. Since I bought the ticket day of, I didn't have time to review the baggage/check-in fees of the low-cost carriers that flew from HCMC to PQC, therefore buying Vietjet's Skyboss was a no-brainer to avoid any fees that come with flying a budget airline. From check-in to baggage claim, all the services that come with "Skyboss" offset and/or exceeded its value for the inconveniences that come with low-cost carriers. Priority check-in and security were fast and convenient, especially since it was a domestic flight. From there, I went to the lounge where I had access to wifi and a good spread of food/drinks. I saw that the flight had somewhere north of a 25% delay-rate, so I knew the lounge (which is also a part of PriorityPass) would be valuable. Unfortunately, the flight board doesn't update fast, so you need to keep an eye on boarding. I was originally seated in the 2nd row, but the flight attendant offered me a seat in the first row where I would have more legroom. When deboarding, a separate shuttle van promptly took us to our arrival gate - this was overkill since there was only 3 of us and the rest of the flight was packed in on shuttle buses. Loved the piece of mind, distinction, functionality, and value that came with buying a premium economy ticket.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSGN to PQC
Date FlownDecember 2016

"keep an eye on boarding time"

Verified Review | Hanoi to Danang. The worst airline experience I have had in my life. Have travelled a bit, but never experienced anything like Vietjet Air. When everything goes to plan, it's an almost decent airline. As soon as anything goes wrong you're absolutely stuffed. Keep an eye on your gate and your boarding time. Everything can change in an instant and there may be no announcement.
RouteHAN to DAD

"never use this airline"

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang. They changed the flight time and failed to notify any foreigners that were taking the flight. They said all Vietnamese people made the change but all foreigners did not. Naturally the airline should accommodate it's customers because of such a blatant mistake on their part not being able to communicate with their foreign customers. They were not willing to pay for a different airlines flight to lessen our delay time of 20 hours. They also refused to give any accommodation for a hotel or taxi service. When talking to the manager I was asking to speak to his boss or to be accomodated for their mistake he said that accommodating customers beyond booking another flight was against the policy. I then asked to see the policy he spoke of and he said no it is a secret policy. And as I was still talking to him he just walked away. So foreign people should never use this airline, even if it has convenient times because they will change the time of the flight and never tell you.
RouteSGN to CXR
Date FlownDecember 2016

"the worst experience I have had"

Verified Review | Taipei to Ho Chi Minh City. This is the worst experience I have had. I researched if I need Transit Visa, both with embassy and on VietJet Air's website before booking. Embassy said "no don't need it" in my situation since I am only in airport for 2 hours and will not be leaving through Immigration. I could find no information saying I needed it on VietJet Air's booking website. I paid for ticket and then booked connecting flight from HCMC to Bangkok with Jetstar (with a 2 hour layover in HCMC International Airport). Upon arriving at Taipei Check-In counter they refused me to allow me to board without a transit visa! I was gob-smacked that their website doe not state this. So they give me a web address to apply for urgent visa (which takes up to 2 days and they said would cost another $90!). Then while I am applying for it they close the check-in counter! I missed the flight and they would not re-imburse any money including money I paid for baggage & extras etc (which is ridiculous considering they didn't take any of my baggage. And I missed my connecting flight I paid for. The staff were extremely unhelpful. Never never again will I make the mistake at buying a ticket with an airline that has such a bad reputation, and justifiably so. I recommend never to fly with VietJet Air if you do not like gambling with your money. I feel the dubious nature of their website is misleading and dishonest so that they can financially benefit in situations like this. My ticket was not cheap either, considering it was holiday season!
RouteTPE to SGN

"Legroom ridiculously cramped"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok. Awful, avoid VietJet Air. I had 4 flights with them due to transfers, and there were problems with all of them - delays. Even a flight they rescheduled after booking to an earlier time was then delayed - made my connections all difficult. Legroom is ridiculously cramped and I was asked for a visa I didn't need. Totally disorganised, and they kept changing the gate too - always due to late arrivals.
RouteSGN to BKK
Date FlownDecember 2016

"approximate 30% risk of delay"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Travelled Ho Chi Minh cITY to Hue with VietJet Air. Flight on time. What annoys me most with this airline is the numerous emails I receive on “changes in Itinerary” which mostly are not changes but disturbance to check again and again. Instead of explaining any change they send the same itinerary again and again with a reminder that “the schedule may have changed, please check”. They have often delays – I consider each trip a gamble as I count approximate 30% risk of delay which means that I cannot use them for narrow connections in HAN and SGN while connecting from my hometown, in Hue City. The busses they use for gate access are overcrowded and slow. Once on board they are fine and prices are excellent (though intransparent with a lot of questionable taxes and fees). If I want to change itinerary it is very difficult and costly and I must pay all fees and taxes again.
RouteSGN to HUI
Date FlownDecember 2016

"for short domestic flights only"

Verified Review | I took VietJet Air 2 times from Hanoi to Da Nang and then Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh City in Sept 2016. The service was good and professional. They changed flight schedule 2 times for my flight from Hanoi to Da Nang. We got an email 2 times a few days before departure to tell us about the changes so make sure you check your email regularly for updates. They are very strict with carry on weight so make sure you are only bringing a carry on for 7KG total for 2 items. They will add everything together at the airport. We ended paying around $35 CAD in fine as my carry one suitcase and back pack was over 7KG total. You can only have 1 check in suitcase per person at 40-50lbs max so pack light and not too much. The seats were not that comfy as the cushion is thin so best to only use VietJet for short flights within Vietnam. I would avoid booking them for long flights unless you don't mind seats with thin cushions. Overall they are good value for what you are paying. I would use them again if they are the cheapest and for short domestic flights only.
RouteHAN to DAD