United Airlines

"outrageous and unacceptable"

Verified Review | Cincinnati to Chicago. I booked the economy fare for a quick trip. I read the rules and saw that I could not bring a full size carryon bag; everything would have to fit under the seat. This was fine, I would not be able to carryon or handle checked luggage anyway because of recent shoulder surgery. I shipped my things via UPS to my destination. I had no problems from CVG to ORD other than the plane being delayed an hour – no big deal. The problem was when I got to ORD for the return trip. When I got to the airport they would not give me a boarding pass to get through security because I had a small purse and a 13" laptop case. They interpreted the rule as only 1 carryon which was my purse. I brought both of them from CVG to ORD with no problem but in ORD I could not take the laptop. My purse was considered my 1 bag. I talked to 2 people and they both refused me. I tried to get them to let me take it to the gate for their checking but was refused that also. I could not check the laptop in the hold because it was a flimsy case that would not take the beating of the conveyor belt and it had a lithium battery. I had to leave my laptop with a friend to express ship to me at a great cost. I found this whole incident outrageous and unacceptable. You should not let people get through half of their trip and then enforce some policy and you should make this clear when buying the ticket that a purse is considered your carryon.
RouteCincinnati to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"go via Dublin wherever I can"

Verified Review | When flying to the States I go via Dublin wherever I can as the Security clearance in Dublin is a bit of a no brainer and after months of deciding how to get there this time decided to try United Polaris, it was around £400 cheaper than the alternatives. Security was quick using the Fast Track, and we were soon in the new Fifty First and Green lounge where there was an array of breakfast pastries to enjoy before boarding. We’d chosen row 8 and boarding was painless and we were soon enjoying a pre take off Mimosa, having stowed the Saks of Fifth Avenue bedding. Menus were handed out and crew came and took orders for mains before take off. The seat was spacious and comfortable. This was a brunch flight and crew came out with a trolley to make signature Bloody Marys and Mimosas which were served with warm nuts. Meal service with a delicious smoked salmon starter was followed by a succulent steak with scrambled eggs and potatoes. After the cheese plate a United sundae was served, drinks were regularly topped up by crew who were absolutely outstanding, and friendly. Great inflight entertainment and a nice range of snacks were available and about an hour before landing lunch was served which was roast chicken with cous cous and veg. Flight landed on time at 1110 and thats where the benefit of Dublin security kicked in - we were out of the airport with checked luggage and in our taxi at 1130. A great way to get to the States which I’d happily recommend.
RouteDublin to Newark
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"United Airlines is an absolute mess"

Verified Review | United Airlines is an absolute mess. I was supposed to make an international flight from Chattanooga to Hamburg with two layovers in Newark, NJ and Copenhagen. Well the United flight from Chattanooga to Newark was cancelled due to “air traffic problems”. There was never any notification of the cancellation and everyone had to find out at check in. Since I was supposed to be making an international flight, they quickly rebooked me to fly to Chicago, then Frankfurt, then Hamburg. The flight from Chattanooga to Chicago was decent. I had a 4 hour layover in Chicago waiting to board my international flight to Frankfurt. As I was boarding the employees pulled me aside and told me my boarding pass wasn’t valid. They said I was booked going to Stockholm in the computer system. So they didn’t let me board the plane until they could figure out what’s going on. Then the plane closed the door and took off without me because they couldn’t sort out my ticket situation. So whoever rebooked my ticket, did something completely wrong - gave me a boarding pass that wasn’t actually valid, and I missed an overnight international flight. Since the error was 110% due to United’s employees lacking the simple skills to print a valid ticket, I was at least given a hotel room for the night. Unbelievable that this would happen.
RouteChattanooga to Hamburg via Chicago

"Service was efficient"

Verified Review | Flew San Francisco to Las Vegas. The on time performance on this flight impress me. From boarding to the landing gate it was early. Service was efficient, just beverage and snacks, since it was late evening. Flight attendant comes regularly to check up on the passengers, although still missed taking away my glass before take off. The seats comes with PTV, but are showing their age on this ex Continental 739, still was a comfortable ride. Luggage arrive at the carrousel before I did. I see improvement on this flight.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I'd rather fly with Spirit Airlines"

Verified Review | Flew Chicago to Dayton. I wanted to see the quality of United as we always fly American. Let's say I'd rather fly with Spirit Airlines. I will never book another flight with them. First we taxi out to the runway and wait for 15 minutes, then we turn back and go to the terminal and 3 people get off the plane. Let me tell you there was no communication at all to us. And we are now 45 min past departure time. We were supposed to be landing by the time we took off. Absolutely terrible.
AircraftE175
RouteChicago to Dayton
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"would never recommend this airline to anyone"

Verified Review | We got on the tarmac to leave from Philadelphia, right as we were about to take off the captain announced that there was a maintenance problem. 20 monutes later: captain announces the maintenance crew still hasn't arrived. 1+ hours later: finally leaves Philadelphia. Thankfully, we didn't have a connecting flight but I feel bad for the dozens of other people who did. I was already unsure about flying with United in the first place after hearing about other friends experiences. Now I understand where they are coming from. I don't care if it's typically a little cheaper compared to other airlines - I would never recommend this airline to anyone. Not worth it.
RoutePhiladelphia to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"$25 to check in their bag"

Verified Review | Rochester to Newark. I understand things happen, flights are delayed for safety purposes, I get it. But do not tell your customers they can't bring the standard purse and smaller carry on until they get to the airport and you trick them into paying $25 to check in their bag. I only realized this while in line using their terrible app trying to check in and avoid the line. Extremely poor user experience. This should be made clear to customers and shouldnt even be their new policy because there is plenty of room under a passengers seats and in the overhead bin. This almost caused me to miss my flight, i just made it. Once you leave a bad first impression like that, doesnt matter if your crew is friendly and services you well. You have now given me a negative perception of your airline and i will gladly pay more to fly with jetblue and american where i have had great experiences. You really expanding those profit margins per the few extra passengers getting tricked into paying $25 to check a bag?
RouteRochester to Newark
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"never recommend to anyone"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Atlanta. Never using united again! My flight was extremely delayed. There wan no flights to get me and my family to our destination the same day. We're on a layover until the next day extremely unacceptable. There was no refund given So we had to still take the flight or lose all the money I paid on tickets for my family one infant and 2 toddlers waiting days for a flight at the airport is unacceptable. I hate United and will never recommend to anyone.
RouteLos Angeles to Atlanta
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Why does this airline exist"

Verified Review | Why does this airline exist? Worst experience, seats were filthy. The seat pockets had dirt in it, and service is usually bad. I went up to the customer help desk in Chicago to ask if I could jump on an earlier flight from Chicago to Cedar Rapids (I had a layover in Chicago). They told me the flight is full. When I mentioned there are tickets available on their website, I was told I can book it online then. While boarding the flight from Toronto, my carry-on bag was taken without my permission and checked-in. I am really speechless with the horrific experience. I am going to avoid United in future. Will pay few dollars extra for a better service.
RouteToronto to Cedar Rapids via Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"worse than low cost airlines"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Worst service ever! I booked Chicago to Orlando economy ticket without knowing how bad and awful it was all the restrictions and the way they ask for them it's rude and disappointing. I realize that United Airlines is worse than low cost airlines, and this is the last time I book a flight with United
RouteChicago to Orlando