United Airlines

"First class left much to be desired"

Verified Review | Flew San Francisco to Cincinnati. First time flying with United. First class left much to be desired. Typically when we have flown in First, we are offered a beverage while waiting for passengers to board and during taxi. Not the case with our flight. Finally offered beverage after we took off and in plastic glass. There was no movie, no entertainment whatsoever. Food was fabulous. Seats comfortable but beyond that I cannot call it First Class! No pillows! No snacks! Did have a cheap blanket. Flight attendants, well..
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Cincinnati
Date FlownOctober 2017

"treat their customers well"

Verified Review | So I just wanted to come on here to praise United for letting me reschedule my flight when I got sick. They waved the rescheduling fee, and were incredibly nice about it - I didn't really even have to ask. I know no airline is perfect, but I consider this to be a reflection that United certainly isn't the worst, and they can treat their customers well! Will be flying United again whenever I get the chance.
RouteCleveland to Houston

"humiliated and disrespected"

Verified Review | My last trip on United Airlines left me feeling angry, tricked, humiliated and disrespected. The new Basic Economy fair offered by United appears to be a marketing trick to make their lowest fair seem competitive with other airlines' basic fares. They are not when you consider the grab for further dollars one experiences at the airport kiosk by attendants stationed there for no other reason than to hold one's boarding pass hostage until they can very strictly put one through a bag measurement process almost certainly designed to fail most bags. When I made my airline selection for this trip, I had three acceptable airline choices for what seemed to be comparable economy fares, with similar measurement maximums for one's allowable personal item. I selected United for no other reason than their fare and bag seemed to match the others, but I liked the flight time slightly better. I could have just as easily chosen either of the other two airlines. Had I known the ugliness and embarrassment that they cause me in front of my daughter due to their extortion of further funds at the kiosk, I would certainly have chosen one of the other two. United seems to continually hate and disrespect their customers with policies and procedures designed to humiliate them for needing to fly on a budget due either to family or other commitments. When I left home, I carefully measured both my and my 11 year old daughter's personal items. Aside from the wheels on her very small child's size suitcase, both items fit the measurements. I put my purse inside my personal item, such that between the two of us we had exactly two items. The Basic Economy fare does not allow one to check in online before getting to the airport. One is forced to print one's boarding pass at the airport kiosk. When one arrives at the kiosk, one cannot complete the boarding pass process with having an attendant approve final printing of the pass by checking the size of the personal item, then scanning his/her badge to unlock the system. The attendant had no problem with our personal items when we left our home airport. We arrived at our destination without incident. United immediately sent me an option to review my leaving flight, but I wanted to wait until we returned home. Returning home from Dallas international airport a few days later was a completely different story. I had to get up in the middle of the night to return our rental car and make a 6am flight. When we arrived at the kiosk, the attendant put us through a rigorous bag measuring process. A zipper on my personal item kept catching on the metal, but I was able to get the bag into the box. I was very tired from having gotten up in the middle of the night, and forgot to put my purse into my personal item. I had to struggle to stuff it in at the last minute. My daughter's very small suitcase fit exactly, except for the small wheels. The suitcase fit with plenty of room to spare on the way to Dallas. The kiosk attendant stated that the measurement requirements had nothing to do with whether or not the item fit under the seat, meaning they were in place solely as a justification to get more money. Once I paid for the bag, the attendant didn't even finish printing our boarding passes. I had to get another attendant to finish printing them. The attendants are there for no other purpose than to collect more money by scrupulously measuring bags. They are not there for any benefit to the customer whatsoever. Despise United.
RouteDallas to Denver
Date FlownAugust 2017

"a truly terrible experience"

This was a truly terrible experience flying from St. Louis to Newark. The plane looked like it was going to fall to pieces. No idea why United has such planes degrading their name. You had the feeling that you were sitting on a seat that belonged on the dump. The only good thing I can say is that the flight attendant was friendly. Going to the bathroom the lock jammed. The handle fell off. I was glad that I had not locked the door when I saw this. I decided that I did not need to go. The enclosed picture shows the general state of this horrid plane.
AircraftEmbraer 145
RouteSt. Louis to Newark
Date FlownOctober 2017

"no explanation, no sympathy"

Verified Review | United staff were incredibly rude to me. Not explaining anything and treating me like I was dumb. If you fly basic economy now, you can only have your purse, no bags for free. You have to pay $25 and check it, if you have a bag and a purse. If you fly basic economy, you can’t do standby, no options, they do not state this on their website either. My flight was delayed 2 hours, no explanation and no sympathy from their terrible company. I will never be flying United again and will tell everyone not to fly.
RouteCincinnati to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Back pack not allowed in cabin"

Verified Review | Erie to Chicago. This airline is terrible. Never fly it if possible. Back pack I have traveled with not allowed in cabin, bizar. In cabin now, lots of bigger packs under other passengers seats. Stewardess would not discuss with me for a second. Very unhappy. Avoid at all cost. Pilot just announced we are delayed. We will have a big problem making our connecting flight.
AircraftCanadair
RouteErie to Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2017

"avoid flying this airline"

Verified Review | Miami to San Francisco. Never have I experienced such delays for no apparent reason other than the flight was late to begin with - they boarded us two hrs late, as soon as the prior flight de boarded. Bathrooms filthy, no beverage service, other than warm water. After boarding they notified us that we would be sitting in the plane for another two hours. Not a full flight so we found some seats to stretch out in, as soon as I got comfortable in my new seat I was informed that I had to relocate to my original cell of torture - again, for no apparent reason. The attendant begrudgingly gave me warm water as if! Suffice it to say, I will avoid flying this airline at all costs.
RouteMiami to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2017

"paying for United Airlines mistake"

Verified Review | We booked to travel from Cincinnati to Chicago at 7:30AM to catch our international flight at 1:03 PM. United Airlines delayed the flight due to some maintenance issue and when we asked them to transfer our reservation for the next flight or book us with some other airline they said nothing is available for the time we wanted but when we personally checked for available flights we saw it was available. When we asked them to do it they showed inability and we could not fly with other airlines too bacause this airline wasted the time and we missed our international flight and we lost $860 for it's cancellation and more $3540 amount for new tickets also. It's like we are paying for United Airlines mistake. We were going after 2 years to our country and they simply said sorry for whatever happened.
RouteCincinnati to Chicago

"get nothing in return"

Verified Review | Total scam! I purchased a basic economy which does not include luggage, but was told if I get a United Airlines credit card, I would get the first bag free. The United Airlines credit card has $95 annual fee, which is high, but if I get priority seating and 1 free bag, it will be worth it. When I check in, none of what they told me is true. Not only that, I could not check in my very small backpack on wheels because basic economy does not allow any carry on that fits in the overhead bin. No matter how much money I was willing to pay extra to keep my very small bag, smaller than airline regulation size bag with me, it was not an option and I had to pay $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second checked bag. The sales people push you to get their credit card with $95 annual fee and you get nothing in return - no priority seating and no carry on bag when you purchase basic economy ticket.
RouteHouston to Orange County
Date FlownOctober 2017

"unwelcoming, and inconvenient airline"

Verified Review | Flew San Francisco to Orlando. Two words, never again. I fly very often and I will no longer fly United. As I arrived to the gate the women checking the tickets let me know by her body language that I would not enjoy my flight. She appeared as though she hated her job, was irritated, and completely unwelcoming. Never looked up to take my ticket or anything. Once I scanned my ticket I was told I had to check my bag, there were still about 40 people waiting to board the plane. When asked why I received attitude of "it just does, there is no room on the plane." As I get on the plane I notice empty overhead bins everywhere and as I am walking down I see that a majority of the bags are small personal items. Purses, small backpacks, plastic bags. So basically I had to check my bag because United fails to enforce policy and as well prematurely calls the aircraft "full". The whole point of me traveling light is so that I do not have to check my bag as this is one of the biggest headaches about traveling. I'll tell you I have never had this issue on competing airlines. Judging by the reviews of 3/10 I'd say that is accurate. Moving forward I would rather pay more than have to deal with this unfriendly, unwelcoming, and inconvenient airline.
RouteSan Francisco to Orlando