United Airlines

Customer rating from 1982 reviews

"worst for international travel"

Trip Verified | Paris to Austin via Washington. United is the worst airline for international travel. I honestly dont know where to start. The rude employees, the bathrooms on the flight, the “food”, the uncomfortable seats, the cleanliness of the cabin is all bad. I intend on flying any other airline for all my travel personal or business moving forward. This airline digusts me.
RouteParis to Austin via Washington

United Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Tampa to Houston. Staff mistreated us while we were attempting to check in at the front desk. We walked up to the computer to start our check in process and got to the point at which we needed a United official to assist (since we were flying basic economy). It took the 5 ladies behind the desk about 15 minutes to make their way to us. This is remarkable knowing that only about 4 computers were in use and we had our hands raised/waving for 5 minutes. The employees ignored us until we waved at one while reaching over the counter. When the lady finally made her way over to us she took us to check the size of our backpacks in the personal item container. It was a tight fit but they could definitely fit. The lady began to explain that if we did not check our bags, they would charge us at the gate a higher fee. We have ridden basic economy on about 6 flights each (a total of 12 flights) and have never had an issue fitting our bags under the seats in front of us. This lady was saying "they are going to grab you at the gate and make you pay $100." She then went on to record our information after approving us. We didn't get charged, obviously, since our bags fit in the personal bag space. United has lost us as customers.
RouteTampa to Houston

"Not happy"

Trip Verified | Appleton to Chicago via Houston. Not happy. Flight delayed due to maintenance. For 5 hours. Now missed my 2nd flight due to that. Stick in Chicago for 5 hours. Will arrive 6 hours 45 minutes later than promised. Missing my dinner meeting. I don't want to spend the morning afternoon and evening in a airport.
RouteAppleton to Chicago via Houston
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"customer service desks were unattended"

Trip Verified | Due to fly United Airlines from Dallas to Delhi via Newark. Boarded and waited on the tarmac for 3 hours only to be unboarded and made to go to a different gate. Meanwhile, they send an email saying the flight had been delayed due to a late crew member and the Feb 17 flight at 9pm has been postponed to Feb 18 at 2pm. Meanwhile they abandon the passengers, customer service desks were unattended until 6am and the stranded passengers were given water and pretzels for dinner.
RouteDallas to Delhi via Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"terrible no star service"

Trip Verified | Flew Las Vegas to Chicago. Our flight attendant charged me $50 for complimentary carry on and was completely rude. Said to another customer while helping me I have Diamond and Platium customers to help. Completely rude to me and others. I paid the fees, swallowed the rudeness and went on my way. Just very disappointed in this service as this is a customer service world and with all the terrible publicity United has had you would think they would try harder. I hope others don’t get this terrible no star service, but if that’s what United is going for.
RouteLas Vegas to Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"avoid them at all costs"

Trip Verified | The worst service ever. I purchased a ticket from Seattle to Syracuse NY with one stop in Chicago to find out when I got to Chicago that the connection flight is delayed by four hours. No apologies at all. They just really don’t care. Last month they cancelled my flight from Syracuse to Seattle going through Chicago causing me a full day delay and added hotel room and rental car cost for one additional day since they did not tell anyone about the cancellation until I got to the airport. Again they don’t care and they refused to reimburse me for the extra night hotel room. I will never ever use this airline again. Avoid them at all costs.
RouteSeattle to Syracuse via Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Never flying United again"

Trip Verified | This airline is ridiculous with their basic economy! It’s not even about no more carry-ons - it’s about not being able to switch to a later flight during a family emergency. I was only flying from NYC to Rochester. I needed to change my return flight to a later date. The original ticket is $150 plus $50 in taxes - makes sense for a 45 minute flight. To change the ticket since it’s “non refundable” - and technically I’m not getting a refund just changing my flight - is a $50 conversion fee and then a $200 fee to switch the ticket! So they’re not helping I’m just buying another, more expensive ticket. Ridiculous. Never flying United again!
RouteRochester to New York City
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"flight was the only flight delayed"

Trip Verified | My United Airlines flight from Colorado Springs to Denver was at 6am and it got delayed 2 hours. Meanwhile, my flight was the only flight delayed. Then, we finally boarded 2 hours later and we pull out from the gate, and they stopped for “maintenance” for a over an hour. They barely even informed us on what was going on. Worst flight ever, never flying United again.
RouteColorado Springs to Denver
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"A good flight all around"

Trip Verified | I travelled on United Airlines from Las Vegas to Chicago on the 14th February 2018. I was in Basic Economy and understood what that meant. When I tried to use the machine to check in I was unable to do so and referred to an agent. They checked that I only had a personal item and gave me a boarding pass marked as such. We had a tail wind and made up about 40 minutes flying time. Tea and coffee was free on the flight. I also was willing to be offloaded but they did not need the extra seat. A good flight all around and I will be flying United again.
RouteLas Vegas to Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"dropped from first class to economy"

Trip Verified | Palm springs to Grand rapids via Denver. So after finally being deplaned because of maintenance problems, I have been re routed to a flight that takes off two hours later, has a four hour layover at my next stop and gets me home after midnight. I've been dropped from first class to economy. And when I asked if there was any sort of compensation for this mess they have created, I was told I can call customer services. I asked to be put on a different airline so I could arrive home sooner as I have to be in the OR at 7 am tomorrow and was told I couldn't. It is unbelievable how you are treated as a paying customer. Why would anyone ever fly? When asked why they couldn't have figured out these maintenance problems last night we were told that they don't check the plane until shortly before take off. It's unbelievable!
Cabin FlownFirst Class