United Airlines

"very bad service"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Houston via Denver. Very bad service with United. My fiancé and I had tickets together and selected seats on both flights but when we checked in they were changed twice and there were people in our seats with our same seat number on our ticket so we were forced to move.
RouteSan Jose to Houston via Denver

"extremely annoyed"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Columbus. Nearly missed the flight because they changed gates (to a completely different area of the airport) and only informed us through an indecipherable, static-y speaker. Extremely annoyed. Last time I flew with them, I missed my first flight on a round trip ticket because of a job interview. They cancelled my return flight with no refund and did not send an email or anything about it. It probably said that would happen in the fine print, but an email would have been nice.
RouteChicago to Columbus
Date FlownDecember 2017

"aren't going to fly this airline again"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Newark via Zurich with United (Vienna to Zurich on Austrian, Zurich to Newark on United). We checked in two days before the flight and reserved seats, my one was 24K, so we do not sit split across the whole plane. When we arrived at the gate in Zurich, they gave us new Boarding cards with other seats across the whole plane. As we flew with our children, my wife and me would like to sit next to them. But United couldn't change the seats, so we had to accept it. Finally in the plane, most of the flight attendants were very rude, there was just one friendly FA on board. The food tasted horrible. It was the worst I've ever eaten in my whole life. Also the wifi didn't work. During the flight, the FA's were gone, we couldn't order something to drink and all the rubbish had to go into the seat pocket. Just before landing they handed out something like a Leach-Pizza piece. That also didn't taste good and it was full of fat. We aren't going to fly on this airline again.
RouteZurich to Newark
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Never flying United again"

Trip Verified | Flew Orlando, FL to Philadelphia, PA. 10 and a half hours sitting in airports! Our first flight was delayed an hour and a half due to United’s fault, causing us to miss our connection. The next flight United could offer us was 9 hours later because they over booked all other flights. This is unacceptable! Basically, if you miss your flight due to United’s fault, you will be stuck sitting in the airport for many hours with a paltry $10 food voucher. Never flying United again.
RouteOrlando, FL to Philadelphia, PA
Date FlownDecember 2017

"how inconsiderate and rude"

Trip Verified | Newark to Savannah. Extremely disappointed in my recent experience with United. I was flying back home from EWR with my carry-on dog. I had all the necessary paperwork, carrier, and I had purchased the dog a ticket as instructed (note: this was my first time flying with my dog on a United flight, I usually fly JetBlue with her). When I go to board the woman scanning my ticket said she was changing my seat for me. I said "thank you" thinking that would be a nice gesture, but I was wrong. Once on board she came on the plane and told me that I was not allowed to sit in that seat (the one she changed me to) with a pet because it had no seat in front of it to stow the animal. I asked if I could move back to my original seat and she told me no. The flight attendants, as well as other people on the plane tried to talk her into letting me change my seat and she still refused, called a manager, and proceeded to kick me off of my flight. It was the most HORRIFIC experience in my entire life. She booked me on a later flight and forgot to transfer my dog over to that ticket, so when I boarded the later flight they were giving me a difficult time having the dog. This I do understand because they didn't have a record of it. However, once we got it all sorted out and everything was fine, they attendants refused to give me any water or take my trash. It was like I never existed on the flight! I am blown away by how inconsiderate and rude United was to me. From the ticket lady to the flight attendants on my later flight. It seems that across the board they value unprofessional behavior. I am originally from NJ so I do understand the somewhat lack of compassion inside the actual airport, but that isn't something that should transfer over to the airline or flight.
RouteNewark to Savannah
Date FlownDecember 2017

"never book a flight with United again"

Trip Verified | Jackson to Aspen via Houston. I will never book a flight with United again. First I called not once but three times to verify I could carry my wedding dress on and specifically how it would be packed and the measurements of the bag which did fall into their accepted guidelines. I checked in at Jackson, MS and could not carry my dress on, or they’d charge me $50. So I had to check the bag, which I was NEVER told about a baggage charge, two of us flying, 4 bags checked - $120.00!!! Then, I understood the small aircraft to Houston, but to Aspen? Seriously? I will say the staff on the second flight was very nice but the pretzels served, all 5 of them (yes sarcasm), the pretzels were smaller than my fingernail but what really made me disgusted was when they were picking up the trash, we noticed they stacked the plastic drinking cups, trust me they were cocktail size cups, later they came by offering water & I realized they simply rinsed the cups!
RouteJackson to Aspen via Houston
Date FlownDecember 2017

"second time I have a problem"

Trip Verified | Newark to San Jose. This is the second time I have a problem with United Airlines in the past couple of months. I purchased 3 last minute one way tickets to Costa Rica directly through the airline. When I checked out there was no notifications of having to purchase an onward ticket. When I got to airport I missed my flight because I was told I needed a round trip ticket to board and the only one they had available was over $800 I’d have to purchase 3 of them right away and I couldn’t afford it. When I let the United Airlines representative know I was a Costa Rican citizen she asked if my 12 year old and 2 year old “where Costa Rican citizens as well” when I told her no she continued to ask if “they had same father, because I’d need consent from them to leave the country” I thought that question was extremely rude and felt she asked me that only because of my ethnicity due to the fact she asked if I spoke English right from the start without me even speaking! Honestly made me cry from feeling so humiliated. United Airlines should worn people when buying one way tickets and most importantly should train staff to be more courteous specially in such vulnerable situations.
RouteNewark to San Jose

"Above-average experience"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Las Vegas via San Francisco. Above-average experience on this airline. I originally selected this flight based on price, and was pleasantly surprised. All aircraft clean (including bathrooms) and flights on time. Good selection of entertainment. The only drawbacks were the crew was a bit hurried during the meal service on the international flights. Additionally, two different (senior) flight attendants were not sure what they were serving - one told me she didn't know what kind of noodles she was serving; another told my seatmate she had no idea what was in the omelette and handed her the ingredient list on the foil cover to read. Crew still managed to keep us fed and hydrated during the flight.
RouteTaipei to Las Vegas via San Francisco
Date FlownNovember 2017

"worst airline I have flown"

Trip Verified | Portland to Santa Rosa via San Francisco. This is by far the worst airline I have ever flown. I will not use United Airlines ever again! I did not receive notice that my flights were being delayed. Santa Rosa was fogged in, told me I could take a shuttle or drive myself to San Francisco to make my connecting flight, but would not comp the shuttle ride, even though the other airlines were and no compensation for the fact that I was only using half of the flight I paid for. On my way back to Santa Rosa from Portland they delayed my flight by 3 hours, once again with no notice sent to me, and then made my lay over in San Fran 4.5 hours. When I asked for my luggage to take another shuttle since I only live an hour and a half away, they told me I would have to wait 2 hours to get it. They said I could pick it up in Santa Rosa since it would fly with or without me on the plane. I agreed and took the shuttle to Santa Rosa. When I got to the Santa Rosa airport, I went to United and asked about picking up my bag, they said that I could not pick it up after 6pm because they were closed but could deliver my bag to me instead, they took my address name and phone number as well as my bag number. I watched them (I could see and read the screen) pull up my bag info in their system and attach it to an email with all my information and directions on delivering my bag next day to my address between 6-8pm. 6-8pm comes and call the airline, get the run around about them saying that the person I spoke to never submitted a claim, and they have no record of the email that I watched him send being sent. Had to repeatly insist on speaking to a supervisor before being put through only to end up still without any idea of when or if I'll get my luggage back. In the end, I'm out 1 day of my vacation, $64.00 on shuttles that should have been connecting flights already paid for and my luggage.
RoutePortland to Santa Rosa via San Francisco

"everything went smoothly"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Newark. I just wanted to take the time to compliment United Airlines for the very excellent service my family and I received while we traveled to New Jersey for the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. We flew out of Jackson/Hartsfield Atlanta airport very early in the morning on November 21 into Newark airport in New Jersey and flew home to Atlanta on November 25. Although we were prepared for and anticipated heavy traffic during those times, we were pleasantly surprised that everything went smoothly and we arrived at our destination a little earlier than expected. Both flights were smooth with just a little turbulence. The staff on both flights were friendly and on our return flight home we even received complimentary drinks and snacks which was a nice returning home luxury. We travel often due to having family on the west and east coasts and I will definitely look into picking United on future travel dates.
RouteAtlanta to Newark