United Airlines

"the worst organization"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Arcata via San Francisco. Absolutely the worst organization I've ever experienced, and I've been flying since I was 3 months old (24+ yrs). Every trip in the past 2 years has either been delayed or cancelled there's no point in even making a reservation because we end up renting a car and driving 8 hours anyway with little to no compensation for the flight. Have had multiple bags lost or 'misplaced'. I don't know how they can even keep business. Imagine if this was a 400$ hotel room and you get there to find your room isn't ready for 6 hours and they over booked so you have to stay in a budget hotel anyways, just ridiculous; meanwhile the executives are taking home million $ bonuses chartering private planes cause they don't even want to fly on their own airline. I feel bad for the employees who have to deal with all the customer service bs while they are just trying to do their job. The only positive thing I have to say is that the employees do try and are nice a majority of the time so please don't make it hard on them.
RouteLos Angeles to Arcata via San Francisco

"Worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | Shannon to Newark. Worst airline experience I’ve ever had. Flight was delayed because of mechanical problems and we were stuck for an hour and a half extra on the plane before departure. Then another hour after landing waiting on a gate on the other side of the airport and most everyone missed their connecting flights. Our connecting flight was then delayed again another hour and when we finally arrived, we were stuck in a foreign country without our luggage because it “didn’t make our flight”. We had to call multiple times to get our luggage delivered. Will not fly again.
RouteShannon to Newark

"Worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Worst flight experience I’ve ever had. When I got to the airport to drop off my bag (after self check in) it took 25 minutes for them to put a sticker on my bag and put it on the belt and I was the first one in line. There were only 3 people working and very long lines and wait times. When I got to the gate to fly out I heard that I would miss my connecting flight I went to talk to gate agents to see what my options are. They were not very helpful the only thing they did was rebook my on a flight for the morning and told me I’d have to figure out my plans once I was in Houston. They were condescending and blaming everything on policy. When I got to Houston, the customer service agents there were very helpful in getting me a room and other accommodations. But when I went to receive my checked bag for the night in the hotel, I was told that I was unable to get the bag and couldn’t have access to it til tomorrow. United is the worst airline I have flown, regarding everything from check in to reliability. At the Nashville airport there were 9 total delayed flights and 8 of them were United. I’ve also heard from several other guests that this is a common occurrence and had happened to them earlier this week. United needs some serious change in their operations as well as retraining employees.
RouteHouston to Portland
Date FlownJune 2018

"I will avoid flying this airline"

Trip Verified | I booked my flight along with my husbands flight 9 months in advance. The day before my flight I discovered I was only getting one boarding pass. My husbands flight booking was under a different conf #. This would be fine however the united miles plus card no longer applies to him, therefore he looses priority boarding AND United took it upon them selves to change our seating assignments to where we were no longer seated next to each other for 14 hr flights. I have never had my seating changed by any airline after choosing a seating assignment if they "cant be guaranteed" there is no advantage flying United over Southwest aside from paying more money. They had availability to accommodate to economy plus but of course wanted more money. we had to change flights adding a 4 hour layover and pickup arrangements just to sit next to each other. No wonder United ranks so poorly in customer service. I will avoid flying this airline at all costs in the future, its more important to try and suck another $300 out of a customer than accommodate and make it right. I will also be canceling my United Plus card as it serves no benefits. It does us no good to travel together if only one person on the card gets priority. I was on the phone for over an hour and 30 min with costumer service that is a joke. My time is money but obviously United does not care about that.
RouteSacramento to San Francisco

"an awful experience"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Birmingham. Every time I fly with United it is an awful experience. They have the most rude, arrogant, and unhelpful agents at the gate and on the plane. If you want a pleasant experience avoid United.
RoutePittsburgh to Birmingham

"a very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | My parents and I were travelling from Frankfurt to San Francisco with United Airlines. United has a dedicated check-in area in Frankfurt, with dedicated counters for premium cabins and frequent travellers. The check-in is operated by trained Lufthansa agents and was quick, friendly and easy. Thanks to our UA status we were allowed into the Lufthansa Senator lounge at Frankfurt airport and enjoyed our pre-boarding snack and drinks. I love United´s unique and efficient boarding process. We were seated in the Economy Plus section and had plenty of legspace. The food in Economy is okay, snacks were served throughout the flight and wine and beer is available in all travel classes for free. The staff was very nice and the flight was enjoyable. Good selection of movies, internet and power outlets are available. Condition of the airplane very good (well, the B747 is retired now and it’s the new 777). Overall a very pleasant flight with on-time arrival in San Francisco.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteFrankfurt to San Francisco
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never flying United again"

Not Verified | Las Vegas to Newark. So they waited until 30 minutes before boarding to tell us about a 3 hour delay. After this delay, they let us board. After letting everyone get boarded and situated, they announce another hour delay. Instead of waiting another hour to board, they packed us in like sardines and continued to delay the plane. I understand delays are our of their control, but tell us as you find out. Dont trick us into being stuck on the flight. Nothing was added for a 5 hour delay, 2 of which were spent on the plane, sitting still at the gate. We paid for a flight that leaves at 11:15am. So, if you can't accommodate me, let me know. Don't drag me along. Get better at organizing flights before you have a whole company that screws over thousands of people. Never flying United again.
RouteLas Vegas to Newark
Date FlownJune 2018

"leather seats are awful"

Not Verified | Los Cabos to Portland via San Francisco. Absolutely terrible service. The employees in Mexico spoke better English then all but one person I encountered in San Francisco. Was told the incorrect gate multiple times causing my pregnant wife to have to trek from one end of the terminal to the other. Smallest amount of legroom yet and the leather seats are awful.
RouteLos Cabos to Portland via San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2018

"not be flying with them again"

Not Verified | This has been the most inconvienent experience I have been through. The customer service was extremely difficult and did not provide any help whatsoever. I was sent back and forth across the airport to talk to different people and every worker I encountered was horrendously rude and inconsiderate to my situation. My original flight had been cancelled and I was informed that I may not be able to catch another flight for three days and that they would not be providing a hotel. I retrieved a ride and made it to my destination (13 hours later than I was supposed to be there) and proceeded to follow up with phone calls to ask where my baggage might be since the workers at the airport did not answer any of my questions. The people I spoke with on the phone were just as rude and inconsiderate as the other United Airlines workers I had previously spoke with. I will not be flying with them again. (I also did not get my money back and I purchesed traveler’s insurance).
RouteChicago to Detroit
Date FlownJune 2018

"An incredibly disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | An incredibly disappointing experience on United. Traveling to the Bay Area for a conference, I booked this flight on a 777-200, thinking it might be kind of fun to fly on a domestic widebody and that the cramped 3-4-3 configuration would be fine. How wrong I was. There was a half-hour delay prior to departure — annoying, but not a big deal. Once on board, however, I noticed that the TVs had been removed and replaced with personal device entertainment holders. However, we were informed that the Wi-Fi did not work and, as such, we wouldn't be able to use the Personal Device Entertainment. A six hour flight with no TVs or Wi-Fi. Unbelievable. Throughout my whole experience, the crew was incredibly rude and inattentive. Upon landing at SFO, we waited on the taxiway for 50+ minutes since (as the captain told it) United operations had screwed up and didn't have a gate for us. There were a number of passengers connecting on to other destinations, many of which there is only one flight a day to from SFO. All told, we arrived at the gate around 1.5 hours late. Combined with our delay leaving BOS, many of my fellow passengers missed their connections and had to be put up overnight. My experience on the return flight was slightly better — the Wi-Fi/personal device entertainment worked and the crew was more courteous — but the damage had been done. If I have any choice, I'll never fly with United Airlines again.
RouteBoston to San Francisco